The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
FabFilter releases Pro-L 2 true peak limiter plug-in Dynamics Plugins
Old 2nd December 2017
News Desk Editor

FabFilter releases Pro-L 2 true peak limiter plug-in

FabFilter releases Pro-L 2 true peak limiter plug-in-unnamed-12-.jpg

FabFilter releases Pro-L 2 true peak limiter plug-in

FabFilter is proud to announce availability of Pro-L 2, a major update to the Pro-L limiter plug-in. With four brand-new limiting algorithms, a new true peak limiting mode, extensive standards-compliant loudness metering, surround support, and many other new features, Pro-L 2 improves on its predecessor in every way while staying true to the original vision of unparalleled simplicity and effectiveness.

New limiting algorithms

FabFilter Pro-L 2 introduces four new limiting algorithms. Modern is the new ‘best for all’ algorithm that produces even better results than the Transparent and Allround algorithms from version 1. Aggressive is great for maximum loudness — well suited for EDM or rock music. Bus has been designed specifically for drums and limiting of individual tracks, while Safe’s goal is not maximum loudness, but to avoid distortion at all times.

True peak limiting and loudness metering

The new true peak limiting feature in FabFilter Pro-L 2 makes it extremely easy to hit a maximum true peak target. Just set the output level to the desired value, enable True Peak Limiting, and that’s it! Combined with improved true peak metering and extensive loudness metering that’s compliant with the EBU R128, ITU-R BS.1770-4, and ATSC A/85 standards, Pro-L 2 is the perfect fit for any loudness normalization job.

Advanced processing

Complete support for surround audio with flexible channel linking makes FabFilter Pro-L 2 much more versatile in multi-channel scenarios, while the sound quality is even higher than before with up to 32x linear- phase oversampling. New features like a DC offset filter, external side chain triggering for stem mastering, and a Unity Gain option ensure that Pro-L 2 is the solution to any mastering challenge.

Interface enhancements

The unique real-time level display is now even more effective with new innovative display modes, including an Infinite mode that shows all audio for an entire session. Moments of significant gain reduction are highlighted with peak labels to give additional insight in the limiting process. Last but not least, the interface has been carefully redesigned to be aesthetically pleasing with a perfectly optimized workflow.

Key features:

• Great transparent sound combined with maximum loudness.
• Eight sophisticated, carefully tuned limiting algorithms, all with their own character and purpose.
• True peak limiting.
• Up to 32x linear-phase oversampling to minimize aliasing and inter-sample peaks.
• Low CPU usage.
• Highly accurate output and gain reduction metering, including true peak metering.
• Extensive loudness metering with support for the EBU R128, ITU-R BS.1770-4, and ATSC A/85 standards.
• Various meter scale settings, including K-System support.
• Surround support, including Dolby Atmos 7.0.2 and 7.1.2 formats with flexible surround channel linking.
• Unique, highly-informative real-time level display, showing input, output, gain change, and loudness levels over time with key gain reduction readings and four different display modes.
• Optional DC offset filter.
• External side chain triggering for stem mastering.
• Unity Gain option to easily listen to the effect of the current limiting at unity gain level.
• Audition Limiting option to listen to the difference between the input and output signal.
• Adjustable Look-ahead, Attack, and Release settings to fine-tune the sound of the algorithms.
• Separate, freely-adjustable channel linking for both the transient and release stages.
• Professional dithering with three different noise shaping algorithms.
• Easy to set up for common limiting situations with the included factory presets.
• Adapts automatically to stereo, mono, and surround channel layouts.
• Full Screen mode for precise adjustments and insightful metering.
• Multiple interface sizes: Small, Medium, and Large, as well as a separate Compact mode. Retina support on OS X and High DPI support on Windows.
• GPU-powered graphics acceleration.
• Supports common Pro Tools hardware control surfaces.

FabFilter Pro-L 2 is now available for EUR 169, USD 199 or GBP 149, supporting both Windows and macOS in VST and VST 3, Audio Units, AAX, RTAS, and AudioSuite plug-in formats.

Bundles with FabFilter Pro-L 2 and other FabFilter plug-ins are also available at: FabFilter Shop - Buy Plug-ins and Bundles Online - VST VST3 AU AAX RTAS AudioSuite

Existing FabFilter customers can purchase or upgrade to FabFilter Pro-L 2 with very attractive discounts by logging in to their online user account at: FabFilter - Quality Audio Plug-Ins for Mixing, Mastering and Recording - VST VST3 AU AAX RTAS AudioSuite

System requirements on Windows are either Windows 10, 8, 7, Vista or XP and a VST 2/3 host or Pro Tools, or Mac OS X 10.6 or higher with Intel processor, and an Audio Units host, VST 2/3 host, or Pro Tools. Both 64-bit and 32-bit hosts are supported.

Evaluation copies are available at: FabFilter Pro-L 2 - Limiter Plug-In
Attached Thumbnails
FabFilter releases Pro-L 2 true peak limiter plug-in-unnamed-12-.jpg  
Old 2nd December 2017
Gear Addict

Fabfilter PRO-L 2

And that’s the way the cookie crumbles.

This sets the standard for a couple of years ahead.
Old 2nd December 2017
Gear Maniac

Snap. Just bought Pro L. Hopefully an upgrade is relatively painless.
Old 2nd December 2017
Gear Addict
Quote:
Originally Posted by ManMulcahy View Post
Snap. Just bought Pro L. Hopefully an upgrade is relatively painless.
"Just" meaning what? If you bought a license of Pro-L 1 recently you might want to tell FF and qualify for a free upgrade. Shoot them an email and ask very kindly
Old 2nd December 2017
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teemeister View Post
"Just" meaning what? If you bought a license of Pro-L 1 recently you might want to tell FF and qualify for a free upgrade. Shoot them an email and ask very kindly
Within the past two weeks...I’m really not averse to paying, and tend to despise the bitching about upgrade prices. But if there’s a deal to be had, I’m in! I will make a polite inquiry...
Old 2nd December 2017
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wonderbird View Post
This sets the standard for a couple of years ahead.
How can you tell? Sounds like fan-boy-talk. At the moment, I find it hard to believe that this thing will be able to beat Elevate in terms of sound, we'll see.
Old 2nd December 2017
Gear Addict
Agreed. The competition doesn't sleep. TDR's Limiter 6 GE comes to mind...
Old 2nd December 2017
Gear Nut

this looks great! love the new oversampling -
Old 2nd December 2017
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by BadYodeler View Post
How can you tell? Sounds like fan-boy-talk. At the moment, I find it hard to believe that this thing will be able to beat Elevate in terms of sound, we'll see.
Did you watch the movie?

32x oversampling, 7.1, Dolby Atmos, all the metering options built in to it etc. Plus I guess the extremely transparent sound that the V1 has already have that I find superior.

Please list the competition and I’ll def check them out.
Old 2nd December 2017
Gear Maniac

I’m a big fan of Stealth Limiter, but no idea yet if it compares.
Old 3rd December 2017
I'm indeed a huge fan and every day user of FF. They've made a already fantastic limiter even better. Does not matter how it compares to x/y/z. You use it and love it or you use something you like better.
Old 3rd December 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by GroovnD313 View Post
I'm indeed a huge fan and every day user of FF. They've made a already fantastic limiter even better. Does not matter how it compares to x/y/z. You use it and love it or you use something you like better.
But...it hasn't even been released to the public yet.
Old 3rd December 2017
Gear Nut

Since I got Limitless I've not used Pro-L once. Tried many times but it just don't sound as good to my ears. Any context.
Old 3rd December 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by mftorso View Post
Since I got Limitless I've not used Pro-L once. Tried many times but it just don't sound as good to my ears. Any context.
.. which just shows how well the original held up since it's release way back in 2010 (yes, that's more than 7 years ago).

Make sure you give v2 a good try. The new algorithms aren't there just for filler.
Old 3rd December 2017
Gear Addict

If it's by FF it's at least going o be very good... Will it be the best? Dunno... Don't really care.

I love their stuff and the interface and workflow - So I'll be getting it anyway.

Plus the discounts are always pretty decent if you have a lot of their plugs.
Old 3rd December 2017
Gear Maniac

very impressive! I dont know of another limiter quite like this one
Old 3rd December 2017
Lives for gear

when is this going to be available?
Old 3rd December 2017
Gear Head

From Video info :

Pro-L 2 will be released on December 5, 2017
Old 3rd December 2017
Lives for gear

thanks, i didn't catch that.
Old 3rd December 2017
Lives for gear
Workflow looks killer!

Pure Limiter (my go-to) and Elevate (skipped it) sound the best but one provides too little information and other provides more than I really need or want to wrap my head around. I don't think either detects ISP. A simple middle ground would be nice. Limiter 6 got me there for a while but for my tastes doesn't sound as good as the above mentioned. Pure Limiter is natural while Elevate is initially brighter and always punchier with more transient detail. Didn't care for Pro L previously but this looks promising.
Old 3rd December 2017
Lives for gear
I shall test against my personal gold standard which to date nothing has ever beat for clarity and punch (and I've tried/own 'em all)

TC Brickwall Limiter.

Maybe this new Pro L 2 is going to be the one?
Old 3rd December 2017
Gear Nut
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wonderbird View Post
32x oversampling, 7.1, Dolby Atmos, all the metering options built in to it etc. Plus I guess the extremely transparent sound that the V1 has already have that I find superior.
Nice! The metering looks serious. Modern n Bus modes are interesting. Side-chain could have its uses.
Old 3rd December 2017
Lives for gear

Really want to play with the new modes
Old 3rd December 2017
I'm a HUGE fan of FabFilter plugins!

Consider this one SOLD!
Old 3rd December 2017
Gear Maniac

Did a Pro L and StealthLimiter side-by-side comparison...Pro L was noticeably smoother and just sounded more polished. This is my first experience with anything from FF...makes me pretty excited for Pro L 2.
Old 3rd December 2017
Gear Addict
Quote:
Originally Posted by bmanic View Post
.. which just shows how well the original held up since it's release way back in 2010 (yes, that's more than 7 years ago).

Make sure you give v2 a good try. The new algorithms aren't there just for filler.
New algorithms? Does a feature update necessarily come with new algorithms? Who's talking about new algorithms in the demos?
Old 3rd December 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teemeister View Post
New algorithms? Does a feature update necessarily come with new algorithms? Who's talking about new algorithms in the demos?
Eh? It's mentioned the first time at exactly 10 seconds into the video. There are 4 new algorithms in Pro-L 2.
Old 3rd December 2017
Lives for gear

no, the video says "it adds new limiter styles", not algorithms.
Old 3rd December 2017
Lives for gear

Ok, so yeah.. style = algorithm.
Old 3rd December 2017
Gear Addict
Quote:
Originally Posted by bmanic View Post

Ok, so yeah.. style = algorithm.
Thanks, agreed. Well, that's even better news then. December 5 please come...
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search