The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
FabFilter releases Pro-L 2 true peak limiter plug-in Dynamics Plugins
Old 6th December 2017
  #91
Gear Maniac
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by elambo View Post
I've been using Pro-L V1 since its conception. Great limiter - one of the best - but we'd started leaning more heavily upon Limitless lately. There was simply a subtle graininess to Pro-L which Limitless, if set right, didn't have.

But with Pro-L V2, I'm comfortable coming back to FabFilter. It has a superior GUI, and A/B'ing it today I picked it more often than Limitless. Or Elixir. Or FG-X. The new algorithms are great, and correct me if I'm wrong but the familiar Transparent, Dynamic, etc. styles seem improved as compared to V1.

At $69, this was an easy call. And the surround mixers in our company will stop complaining about Elixir's heavy-hand and lack of features.

FF strikes again!
How many licenses you buy for each product you purchase?
Just asking! As for me it’s a pretty tough decision to buy only one as I’m not a pro.
Old 6th December 2017
  #92
Lives for gear
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by doom64 View Post
Ozone 8 is better.
This!
Old 6th December 2017
  #93
Lives for gear
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by doom64 View Post
Ozone 8 is better.
No freaking way. Ozone 5 is the shiznit!!
Old 7th December 2017
  #94
Lives for gear
 
mr jkn's Avatar
User report: I’m not a experienced limiter user, but comparing ff L2 to ik stealth I feel I can push the program material an extra 1-2 dB with the former before the mix starts to collapse. Most of its modes also works well with bass heavy electronic music. I like it!
Old 7th December 2017
  #95
Lives for gear
 
andy3's Avatar
 

I keep reading stuff like "I can push stuff a couple of db more" but I usually limit no more than 2 dbs :/
Old 7th December 2017
  #96
Lives for gear
 
mr jkn's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by andy3 View Post
I keep reading stuff like "I can push stuff a couple of db more" but I usually limit no more than 2 dbs :/
Perhaps I should clarify my experience. I found limiting just 2 dB pretty transparent, and that’s a good thing I guess.
Old 8th December 2017
  #97
Lives for gear
 
slammy80's Avatar
 

Very thankful and excited about this release. Great job, FabFilter, as always!

I especially love the new visual metering options.
Old 19th December 2017
  #98
Gear Addict
I am using it now. Just auditioning to the limited signal is great. But there is a problem. When we change audition from normal signal to limited signal, we have to increase the volume a lot on our monitor controller to hear it in detail. And while working if we forget to revert the volume we can damage the speakers or hearing. So there should be a output gain only for auditioning the limited signal or it should be pre set to may be +10 db.
Old 19th December 2017
  #99
Quote:
Originally Posted by amit monga View Post
I am using it now. Just auditioning to the limited signal is great. But there is a problem. When we change audition from normal signal to limited signal, we have to increase the volume a lot on our monitor controller to hear it in detail. And while working if we forget to revert the volume we can damage the speakers or hearing. So there should be a output gain only for auditioning the limited signal or it should be pre set to may be +10 db.
1:1 button is there for you.
Attached Thumbnails
FabFilter releases Pro-L 2 true peak limiter plug-in-52876ad0-ffab-4e7d-b7fb-7976b0599a8b.jpeg  
Old 19th December 2017
  #100
Lives for gear
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by everyday View Post
1:1 button is there for you.
Or hold down 'Alt' to adjust the input and output gain together.
Old 19th December 2017
  #101
Gear Addict
Quote:
Originally Posted by everyday View Post
1:1 button is there for you.
oh yes. Thanks.
Old 19th December 2017
  #102
Lives for gear
 
elambo's Avatar
@Amit - please read the manual. This is a powerful plugin and you're missing its potential.
Old 19th December 2017
  #103
Gear Head
 
KerosinStudio's Avatar
The new features are great! And for anyone who already owns FabFilter plugins, you now get your personal discount + their holiday discount. So couldn't let this go of course And with the new oversampling options, it might also turn my steady go-to Invisible Limiter out of work. Good stuff, good stuff!
Old 19th December 2017
  #104
Anyone wants an additional 10% discount? Please send me an e-mail address. (Friends referral program from Fabfilter)
Old 19th December 2017
  #105
Gear Addict
 
Lesha's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bellectra View Post
Anyone wants an additional 10% discount? Please send me an e-mail address. (Friends referral program from Fabfilter)
You can get it from me, too. But, it's only valid for new FabFilter customers.
Old 20th December 2017
  #106
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lesha View Post
You can get it from me, too. But, it's only valid for new FabFilter customers.
It seems it is only valid for single plugins too. :-(
Old 20th December 2017
  #107
Gear Maniac
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr jkn View Post
User report: I’m not a experienced limiter user, but comparing ff L2 to ik stealth I feel I can push the program material an extra 1-2 dB with the former before the mix starts to collapse. Most of its modes also works well with bass heavy electronic music. I like it!
This Intrestes me,I'm gonna demo both at the same time in the not so distant future, Iv heard many different people say Stealth Limiter is one of if not the best limiter available for dealing with bass heavy music but,if what you say is true i will be a happy camper because I'm a FF bundle owner so i can get Pro-L2 at half the price of stealth limiter? Did you ever compare Pro-L1 against Stealth Limiter? And do you find Pro-L2 generally as a whole better at dealing with bass & transient heavy music in comparison to Stealth Limiter? Or is it the new Styles/algorithms in pro-L2 that are trumping stealth Limiter in your opinion? As i say,I'm going to do my own tests soon but it is always helpful getting second options!
Old 20th December 2017
  #108
Lives for gear
 
mr jkn's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hi-Fidelity View Post
This Intrestes me,I'm gonna demo both at the same time in the not so distant future, Iv heard many different people say Stealth Limiter is one of if not the best limiter available for dealing with bass heavy music but,if what you say is true i will be a happy camper because I'm a FF bundle owner so i can get Pro-L2 at half the price of stealth limiter? Did you ever compare Pro-L1 against Stealth Limiter? And do you find Pro-L2 generally as a whole better at dealing with bass & transient heavy music in comparison to Stealth Limiter? Or is it the new Styles/algorithms in pro-L2 that are trumping stealth Limiter in your opinion? As i say,I'm going to do my own tests soon but it is always helpful getting second options!
Can’t say really. Haven’t compared L1 to stealth directly. Stealth is a great limiter. I feel it retains punch in the program material. But L2, imo, sounds a bit more “elegant” and non-destructive in a sense. At a few dB of limiting both sounds great, but if I’m really pushing it, L2 seems to retain small transients better than stealth and the bass stays better in the pocket. But I’m no authority. So make sure to compare them yourself.
Old 21st December 2017
  #109
Quote:
Originally Posted by mr jkn View Post
Can’t say really. Haven’t compared L1 to stealth directly. Stealth is a great limiter. I feel it retains punch in the program material. But L2, imo, sounds a bit more “elegant” and non-destructive in a sense. At a few dB of limiting both sounds great, but if I’m really pushing it, L2 seems to retain small transients better than stealth and the bass stays better in the pocket. But I’m no authority. So make sure to compare them yourself.
Just mastered a track where I put it through Stealth, Elevate and Pro-L2 respectively.
I can get them to sound pretty similar...but all have artifacts in different areas.
The L2 felt wider in the stereo image while Stealth felt more natural and harmonic in a way.
Elevate is the one that alters the mix the most...even with careful settings, it still fells somewhat jumpy in the transients.
Elevate smears the top the least...while I felt L2 had most hi frequency smearing.

Not sure which one I prefer...and I have bought them all, so will probably use them just like this...try and pick what I like best on a track to track basis.
Old 21st December 2017
  #110
OMU
Lives for gear
 
OMU's Avatar
 

Doing small amounts with each one of them tends to give better results than just slamming only one.
Old 21st December 2017
  #111
Lives for gear
 
mastermat's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by OMU View Post
Doing small amounts with each one of them tends to give better results than just slamming only one.
in general I agree, but it´s also very track dependant...sometimes one is just fine.
and more than 2 often sounds not good to me..at least in my set up which consists mostly of analog gear. also it really depends which limiters you combine!
it can be a trick pony thing...
Old 21st December 2017
  #112
Gear Head
 

is it just me or does it sound better with true peak off?
Old 21st December 2017
  #113
Gear Addict
 

I compared the Stealth to the FF2 on a mix printed pretty hot and I felt like the ff2 handled the input better and the mix stayed cleaner and as someone else mentioned had a more elegant sound and presentation. I didn't hear any high freak smear.

All in all I think the ff2 2 has a more polished sound and I am a huge Stealth fan.

Last edited by sdd17; 21st December 2017 at 04:15 PM..
Old 21st December 2017
  #114
Lives for gear
 
mr jkn's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by sdd17 View Post
I compared the Stealth to the FF2 on a mix printed pretty hot and I felt like the ff2 handled the input better and the mix stayed cleaner and as someone else more had a more elagent sound and presentation. I didn't hear any high freak smear.

All in all I think the ff2 2 has a more polished sound and I am a huge Stealth fan.
Fully agree
Old 21st December 2017
  #115
Lives for gear
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by carlosdanger View Post
is it just me or does it sound better with true peak off?
This is usually the case with all limiters that have true peak limiting. It is after all an additional stage of processing/limiting.

So yeah, if you want to be closest to the original and sacrifice a few tenths of a dB loudness (depending on program material, look-a-head and your oversampling settings) then I do highly recommend keeping it off

Try the 'Modern Alternative' preset in the 'Basic' folder at a high oversampling rate (16x or 32x). Then measure the true peak output after you've lowered the main output knob to -0.3dB. This should help keep virtually all ISP in check (unless you go for crazy limiting amounts) while being relatively true to the original source signal.

Or just use the default settings, turn off true-peak, then add a little bit of look-a-head and a healthy dose of oversampling. Again lower the main output knob to -0.3dB (I have it set as default for myself) and you should be good to go.
Old 21st December 2017
  #116
In all fairness I sent my 3 (stealth, elevate and Pro-L2) versions to my client...and asked him to pick the one he liked best.
His pick was Pro-L2

Personally I'm still undecided between Stealth and Pro-L2 ...but it's not a huge difference.
Old 22nd December 2017
  #117
Gear Head
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmanic View Post
This is usually the case with all limiters that have true peak limiting. It is after all an additional stage of processing/limiting.

So yeah, if you want to be closest to the original and sacrifice a few tenths of a dB loudness (depending on program material, look-a-head and your oversampling settings) then I do highly recommend keeping it off

Try the 'Modern Alternative' preset in the 'Basic' folder at a high oversampling rate (16x or 32x). Then measure the true peak output after you've lowered the main output knob to -0.3dB. This should help keep virtually all ISP in check (unless you go for crazy limiting amounts) while being relatively true to the original source signal.

Or just use the default settings, turn off true-peak, then add a little bit of look-a-head and a healthy dose of oversampling. Again lower the main output knob to -0.3dB (I have it set as default for myself) and you should be good to go.
thanks! yeah for the record proL2 sounded great with true peak, but it was noticeably better without... kind of surprised that it is on by default I guess
Old 22nd December 2017
  #118
Lives for gear
 

Probably because so many people are so worried about the big bad ISP monster lurking in the corner?

It's an easily quantifiable thing for a lot of people to understand and latch on to. "Limiters should limit. End of story" so it's on to not allow any ISP to get through and thus conform to various standards (that people don't seem to realize have actual tolerances too) and to please the general public, I guess?

The only screw-up we did was the we left the main output knob at exactly 0dBFS. It should default to -0.01dBFS to minimize confusion. Perhaps that'll be corrected in a patch.

To be fair though, I think the ISP limiting in Pro-L2 is sounding really good so in most cases it wont really make all that much difference.
Old 29th December 2017
  #119
Lives for gear
 
e-are's Avatar
 

Downloaded the demo. This is the most transparent limiter I have ever used and I choose between 4 consistantly. Definite purchase. Haven't looked at any manual yet either. Good job FabFilter
Old 21st February 2018
  #120
Lives for gear
 
~ufo~'s Avatar
Has anyone got the Pro-L 2 sidechaining to work well in Studio One?
when sending the same mix, I can get it to produce a brickwalled test on internal key, but non on sidechain mode.
Seems like there's something a little off in the delay compensation.

So far I tested the side chaining stem limiting in:
Nuendo 8: works. Brickwalled result Even when stems are summed. Awesome!
Reaper: works. Brickwalled result. Even when stems are summed. Awesome!
Ardour: doesn't work well (no brickwalled result)
Pro Tools HD: doesn't work well (no brickwalled result) -> Pro Tools doesn't have delay compensation for side chains. (only partly, in HDX).
Studio One Pro: doesn't work well (no brickwalled result)
Topic:
Post Reply

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.


 
 
Slide to join now Processing…
Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Forum Jump
Forum Jump