Stam Audio SA-67 Tube Condenser Microphone - Page 18 - Gearslutz
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Stam Audio SA-67 Tube Condenser Microphone
Old 3rd October 2020
  #511
I received mine a few weeks ago. Just did a series of recordings in my home studio. My main tube condenser has been a pearlman tm2, which is a gray mic. The sa67 is sounding great, big and beautiful. Didn’t know what to expect but I’m loving it on vocals, guitars, drum mono oh. Stunning mic as well.
Old 24th October 2020 | Show parent
  #512
Lives for gear
 
🎧 10 years
Been enjoying my sa47 for about a year now. One small improvement/suggestion would be to put an led on the power supply so you can tell when it's on. Might be worth doing the mod myself if it's easy enough to wire. I wouldn't want to introduce any noise.

On a quality control level, my power supply had loose internals when it arrived. I figured out that there were screws on the underside that hadn't been tightened at the factory. Not a big deal, but worth mentioning.
Old 25th October 2020 | Show parent
  #513
Lives for gear
 
baslotto's Avatar
 
🎧 10 years
OK guys it finally happened, I finally received my SA67 a couple of weeks ago.

The wait has been long, but I wasn't in a hurry to begin with 2 years ago when I decided to pull the trigger on a 47 and 67 by Stam.

The 47 came in about a year ago or so and it has been nothing but a real treat from day 1. Even more so when I picked up an original 1962 U48 (a 47 with a different polar pattern) just serviced here in LA and I had the opportunity to test them side by side. They are really close and when the SA47 started showing its limits in comparison to the 48 I could easily correct them with a bit of EQ. Amazing quality for the price. More details in the near future when I'll post a shootout I made with these mics on different sources (boy do they sound good on percussions! Who knew?).



The 67 is going to be tested against a vintage U67 and a modern U67 soon too.

For now I've tested it back to back with a Slate emulation, mainly on vocals, and it has A LOT more bottom than the emulated ones in the VMS in a good way, probably they were sampled with the HPF engaged. The HPF makes it almost a different mic, still amazing for sure.

The U67 is known for taking "esses" beautifully. I just tracked a female singer for a Christmas song that has like a million esses and I won't need a de-esser, the top end is present, the bottom is huge, the sound is rich and pleasant with minimal tweaks to serve the mix.

One thing they really nailed is how quiet both mics are, for being tube microphones they really are transparent and quiet, which means good work soldering and picking the right components along with a good design. After opening them up I see good soldering work and the hand of a person, not a machine.

Another plus is the looks of both mics, they are pretty close to the originals, which doesn't hurt, except for the usual slanted mesh in the 67/87/103 that doesn't present that cool sharp edge that makes a Neumann a Neumann, chinese copies are always a bit rounder, still preserving the shape and angle of the originals. Not a big deal.

A cosmetic "meh" for the SA67 is the black ring at the bottom with the name of the mic printed on is clearly a sticker almost "poorly glued together" I actually repositioned it by hand to make it look a bit better. Do I care for a shortcut like this? Not really, it would have been nice if I didn't have to notice though.

At the end of the day (and the 2 years wait) I have two microphones that sound incredibly detailed, smooth and rich at a fraction of the cost of any other mic with the same response. I have tested the 67 last night on a male voice with the HPF engaged and it immediately became his new favorite.
This means clients are appreciating the choice I made and the good work by Stam. These mics make mixing a bit easier with less corrections and faster tweaks where needed since they can take EQ and compression extremely well.

I have to give it to Joshua Stam, these 2 microphones do sound amazing, no matter how they will compare to the originals. There is definitely a good amount of research behind each design and the choice of the components paired with solid soldering skills make them definitely valuable units.
Old 25th October 2020 | Show parent
  #514
Lives for gear
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by baslotto View Post
OK guys it finally happened, I finally received my SA67 a couple of weeks ago.

The wait has been long, but I wasn't in a hurry to begin with 2 years ago when I decided to pull the trigger on a 47 and 67 by Stam.

The 47 came in about a year ago or so and it has been nothing but a real treat from day 1. Even more so when I picked up an original 1962 U48 (a 47 with a different polar pattern) just serviced here in LA and I had the opportunity to test them side by side. They are really close and when the SA47 started showing its limits in comparison to the 48 I could easily correct them with a bit of EQ. Amazing quality for the price. More details in the near future when I'll post a shootout I made with these mics on different sources (boy do they sound good on percussions! Who knew?).



The 67 is going to be tested against a vintage U67 and a modern U67 soon too.

For now I've tested it back to back with a Slate emulation, mainly on vocals, and it has A LOT more bottom than the emulated ones in the VMS in a good way, probably they were sampled with the HPF engaged. The HPF makes it almost a different mic, still amazing for sure.

The U67 is known for taking "esses" beautifully. I just tracked a female singer for a Christmas song that has like a million esses and I won't need a de-esser, the top end is present, the bottom is huge, the sound is rich and pleasant with minimal tweaks to serve the mix.

One thing they really nailed is how quiet both mics are, for being tube microphones they really are transparent and quiet, which means good work soldering and picking the right components along with a good design. After opening them up I see good soldering work and the hand of a person, not a machine.

Another plus is the looks of both mics, they are pretty close to the originals, which doesn't hurt, except for the usual slanted mesh in the 67/87/103 that doesn't present that cool sharp edge that makes a Neumann a Neumann, chinese copies are always a bit rounder, still preserving the shape and angle of the originals. Not a big deal.

A cosmetic "meh" for the SA67 is the black ring at the bottom with the name of the mic printed on is clearly a sticker almost "poorly glued together" I actually repositioned it by hand to make it look a bit better. Do I care for a shortcut like this? Not really, it would have been nice if I didn't have to notice though.

At the end of the day (and the 2 years wait) I have two microphones that sound incredibly detailed, smooth and rich at a fraction of the cost of any other mic with the same response. I have tested the 67 last night on a male voice with the HPF engaged and it immediately became his new favorite.
This means clients are appreciating the choice I made and the good work by Stam. These mics make mixing a bit easier with less corrections and faster tweaks where needed since they can take EQ and compression extremely well.

I have to give it to Joshua Stam, these 2 microphones do sound amazing, no matter how they will compare to the originals. There is definitely a good amount of research behind each design and the choice of the components paired with solid soldering skills make them definitely valuable units.
Great!, would love to listen to some comparison audio files.

Is this a Tim Campbell capsule for the SA67?

Best,
Daniel.
Old 25th October 2020 | Show parent
  #515
Lives for gear
 
baslotto's Avatar
 
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Danielbest1 View Post
Great!, would love to listen to some comparison audio files.

Is this a Tim Campbell capsule for the SA67?

Best,
Daniel.
It might be, it’s whatever is the latest maker, Stam literally started the mic build in late September.

Comparisons are going to happen in a couple of months but audio samples will be here shortly as soon as I get the ok from my clients.
Old 26th October 2020 | Show parent
  #516
Lives for gear
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by baslotto View Post
It might be, it’s whatever is the latest maker, Stam literally started the mic build in late September.

Comparisons are going to happen in a couple of months but audio samples will be here shortly as soon as I get the ok from my clients.
Thank you!
Old 28th October 2020 | Show parent
  #517
Here for the gear
 
Just got mine today and after testing it all morning I am more than happy with the mic. Congrats Josh and team!
Old 28th October 2020
  #518
Company Rep
 
🎧 10 years
Thank you for all the love and positive vibes folks

We are very happy to read such nice reviews on the work we have done on these mics!!

Much appreciated.
Old 28th October 2020 | Show parent
  #519
Lives for gear
 
Quint's Avatar
 
1 Review written
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by joshuanaconda View Post
Thank you for all the love and positive vibes folks

We are very happy to read such nice reviews on the work we have done on these mics!!

Much appreciated.
So Josh, did I hear correctly that the SA-67 is shipping again? Is the lockdown in Chile over?
Old 28th October 2020
  #520
Company Rep
 
🎧 10 years
Lockdown is over, yes

Half of the staff is back at the office
Old 28th October 2020 | Show parent
  #521
Lives for gear
 
Quint's Avatar
 
1 Review written
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by joshuanaconda View Post
Lockdown is over, yes

Half of the staff is back at the office
Ok. Well I sent you an email requesting to get an update on when I would receive my SA-67.
Old 30th October 2020 | Show parent
  #522
Lives for gear
 
subspace's Avatar
 
3 Reviews written
🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by baslotto View Post
OK guys it finally happened, I finally received my SA67 a couple of weeks ago.

The wait has been long, but I wasn't in a hurry to begin with 2 years ago when I decided to pull the trigger on a 47 and 67 by Stam.

The 47 came in about a year ago or so and it has been nothing but a real treat from day 1. Even more so when I picked up an original 1962 U48 (a 47 with a different polar pattern) just serviced here in LA and I had the opportunity to test them side by side. They are really close and when the SA47 started showing its limits in comparison to the 48 I could easily correct them with a bit of EQ. Amazing quality for the price. More details in the near future when I'll post a shootout I made with these mics on different sources (boy do they sound good on percussions! Who knew?).



The 67 is going to be tested against a vintage U67 and a modern U67 soon too.

For now I've tested it back to back with a Slate emulation, mainly on vocals, and it has A LOT more bottom than the emulated ones in the VMS in a good way, probably they were sampled with the HPF engaged. The HPF makes it almost a different mic, still amazing for sure.

The U67 is known for taking "esses" beautifully. I just tracked a female singer for a Christmas song that has like a million esses and I won't need a de-esser, the top end is present, the bottom is huge, the sound is rich and pleasant with minimal tweaks to serve the mix.

One thing they really nailed is how quiet both mics are, for being tube microphones they really are transparent and quiet, which means good work soldering and picking the right components along with a good design. After opening them up I see good soldering work and the hand of a person, not a machine.

Another plus is the looks of both mics, they are pretty close to the originals, which doesn't hurt, except for the usual slanted mesh in the 67/87/103 that doesn't present that cool sharp edge that makes a Neumann a Neumann, chinese copies are always a bit rounder, still preserving the shape and angle of the originals. Not a big deal.

A cosmetic "meh" for the SA67 is the black ring at the bottom with the name of the mic printed on is clearly a sticker almost "poorly glued together" I actually repositioned it by hand to make it look a bit better. Do I care for a shortcut like this? Not really, it would have been nice if I didn't have to notice though.

At the end of the day (and the 2 years wait) I have two microphones that sound incredibly detailed, smooth and rich at a fraction of the cost of any other mic with the same response. I have tested the 67 last night on a male voice with the HPF engaged and it immediately became his new favorite.
This means clients are appreciating the choice I made and the good work by Stam. These mics make mixing a bit easier with less corrections and faster tweaks where needed since they can take EQ and compression extremely well.

I have to give it to Joshua Stam, these 2 microphones do sound amazing, no matter how they will compare to the originals. There is definitely a good amount of research behind each design and the choice of the components paired with solid soldering skills make them definitely valuable units.
Good to hear about the SA47 as I just received and paid my final invoice on one today!
Old 30th October 2020 | Show parent
  #523
Lives for gear
 
baslotto's Avatar
 
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by subspace View Post
Good to hear about the SA47 as I just received and paid my final invoice on one today!
I believe the one they made for me is a bit different from the ones they make today, the capsule and circuitry are by Dany Bouchard.
In any case the new ones will probably be at least as good as the old ones if not an improved version.
I’m super happy with mine and even though Stam claims it’s a bit darker than the new ones I really don’t think it’s lacking in comparison to the real deal. Next week I’ll post the shootout.
Old 10th November 2020
  #524
Here for the gear
 
I just saw that the next batch of 67's is expected in February. Hopefully that doesn't apply to all of us that have been waiting for a while...
Old 16th November 2020
  #525
Lives for gear
 
2 Reviews written
🎧 5 years
SA 67 mkii: first takes!

Recently , took delivery of an SA-67 mkii, everything arrived safe and sound. I powered it up, no problems and just left it on for a few hours.

I was immediately impressed with its feel and finish and build quality, very nice, clean work!

I have been mostly using a wa251, so the sa 67, seemed brighter than I was expecting, of course, that is relative!

When recording with it, I have really appreciated the very controllable proximity effect: how you can easily move from airy to more present and full, without out it getting tubby.

Very happy with results, so far, on acoustic guitar and vocals!
Old 16th November 2020 | Show parent
  #526
Lives for gear
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kcatthedog View Post
Recently , took delivery of an SA-67 mkii, everything arrived safe and sound. I powered it up, no problems and just left it on for a few hours.

I was immediately impressed with its feel and finish and build quality, very nice, clean work!

I have been mostly using a wa251, so the sa 67, seemed brighter than I was expecting, of course, that is relative!

When recording with it, I have really appreciated the very controllable proximity effect: how you can easily move from airy to more present and full, without out it getting tubby.

Very happy with results, so far, on acoustic guitar and vocals!
Great!, could you share a (vocal) clip?

Best,
Daniel.
Old 1st December 2020
  #527
Lives for gear
 
🎧 5 years
Any clips of the new mkii mics? I don’t think I’ve heard the revision yet.
@ joshuanaconda I just put down a deposit for one, I know there is a long wait list for these so I expect it to be a while for anyone signing up now, but any rough estimates where us newcomers fall in the production line? Am I year out? 10 months? 14?

I have no problem waiting, just curious when I should be thinking about a follow up. Thanks Josh, this will be my first SA piece!
Old 1st December 2020 | Show parent
  #528
Lives for gear
 
Quint's Avatar
 
1 Review written
🎧 10 years
Josh,

What's the latest on when the SA-67s will be shipping again?
Old 6th December 2020 | Show parent
  #529
Here for the gear
 
strat96's Avatar
 
🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carabinerx View Post
Any clips of the new mkii mics? I don’t think I’ve heard the revision yet.
@ joshuanaconda I just put down a deposit for one, I know there is a long wait list for these so I expect it to be a while for anyone signing up now, but any rough estimates where us newcomers fall in the production line? Am I year out? 10 months? 14?

I have no problem waiting, just curious when I should be thinking about a follow up. Thanks Josh, this will be my first SA piece!
I have plenty of samples but have been busy and haven't had time to post.

There is an instagram video with drums where I use them as overheads you could check out for now. I have used these mics on almost everything.
Old 6th December 2020 | Show parent
  #530
Lives for gear
 
🎧 5 years
Nice! sounds like you're pretty happy, then? does is seem pretty smooth/balanced? Im just curious how the revision sounds compared to the previous version/an actual 67, have you been using it on any vocals?


Quote:
Originally Posted by strat96 View Post
I have plenty of samples but have been busy and haven't had time to post.

There is an instagram video with drums where I use them as overheads you could check out for now. I have used these mics on almost everything.
Old 3 weeks ago
  #531
Here for the gear
 
I got mine a couple of weeks ago. I tested it against my studio partner’s Wunder 67, and the Stam was just too bright in comparison so I ended up selling it. Definitely a good sounding mic, especially for the price, just honestly too bright for my taste.
Old 3 weeks ago | Show parent
  #532
Lives for gear
 
🎧 5 years
Thanks for your feedback, curious what tube did yours have, nos (tele or something else) or a stock one?
Old 3 weeks ago | Show parent
  #533
Company Rep
 
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by projectorhed View Post
I got mine a couple of weeks ago. I tested it against my studio partner’s Wunder 67, and the Stam was just too bright in comparison so I ended up selling it. Definitely a good sounding mic, especially for the price, just honestly too bright for my taste.
That is very easy to adjust. You could have emailed me and I would have happily send you a darker one.

All the ones I ship are matched against my 67's within 0.5dB. It sounds just like the original, however, some people don't like the originals and want them darker. That is very easy to adjust.

Next time get in touch please!

Thanks
Old 3 weeks ago
  #534
Here for the gear
 
It was a nos tube, I’m not sure which one. Don’t get me wrong, it’s a great sounding mic. I just preferred the Wunder.
Old 3 weeks ago | Show parent
  #535
Company Rep
 
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by projectorhed View Post
It was a nos tube, I’m not sure which one. Don’t get me wrong, it’s a great sounding mic. I just preferred the Wunder.
It's not the tube that makes the adjustment to make the mic darker.

I have not tried the Wunder but I have heard great things about their work!
📝 Reply

Similar Threads

Thread / Thread Starter Replies / Views Last Post
replies: 5904 views: 749774
Avatar for Jonathanvl
Jonathanvl 1 week ago
replies: 541 views: 59084
Avatar for ralphonz
ralphonz 4th June 2020
replies: 70 views: 10784
Avatar for shanesbg
shanesbg 4 weeks ago
Topic:
Post Reply

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.


 
 
Slide to join now Processing…
🖨️ Show Printable Version
✉️ Email this Page
🔍 Search thread
🎙️ View mentioned gear
Forum Jump
Forum Jump