The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
IK Multimedia updates MODO BASS with new models and features
Old 5th November 2019
Quote:
Originally Posted by barbital View Post
MIDI packs or not, the advantage that MODO has is clearly insurmountable to any sample based solution. Physical modeling of this quality simply cannot be beat by sample libraries.

MODO essentially makes samples obsolete. And for good reason - samples are prerecorded and physical modeling changes the sound dynamically on the fly.
Old 5th November 2019
Lives for gear

The feature request for MIDI packs had been relayed to the devs in the past and I believe it is in the official MODO BASS Wishlist thread on our forum.

I don't think the statement on how MODO BASS can achieve realistic sounds that sampled libraries are not going to be able to deserves a facepalm as MODO BASS has proven in its time since release that it really is an acclaimed product that delivers on the promise of extremely realistic electric bass parts with the physical modeling allowing for things that simply are not possible with samples.
Old 5th November 2019
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter - IK View Post
The feature request for MIDI packs had been relayed to the devs in the past and I believe it is in the official MODO BASS Wishlist thread on our forum.
Thanks Peter - again...such a beautiful VI instrument...great work!

Blessings...

Last edited by KJandKT; 5th November 2019 at 07:31 PM.. Reason: missed the end quote
Old 5th November 2019
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter - IK View Post
I don't think the statement on how MODO BASS can achieve realistic sounds that sampled libraries are not going to be able to deserves a facepalm as MODO BASS has proven in its time since release that it really is an acclaimed product that delivers on the promise of extremely realistic electric bass parts with the physical modeling allowing for things that simply are not possible with samples.
Indeed, and I've praised Modo's sound, too. The facepalm is due to that person's broken-record participation habits on GS. It's guaranteed that we'll see at least one such copy-pasted post about modeling, in general, every 6 months, typically without any kind of real agreement from the industry.

MODO, in fact, is the only such modeled product that I've ever come across which remains a true contender when comparing the best of sampling with the best of modeling, in its field. The pianos/trumpets/etc. which have been touted as end-all be-all fell rather flat after serious scrutiny. It won't stop people from arguing about it though.

That said, Trilium and a couple of other sampled basses have the potential to be as believable/authentic as Modo, and can, at times, feel even more engaging and organic in the track. And that is the bottom line. Their variations are limited, yes, but the tones they offer are competitive, and as I said they lay into the track similar to how my recorded basses do. Modo can feel thin and too perfect, a byproduct of most modeled instruments. Sterility. Saturation/transformer plugins can go a long way toward a more complex tone, but inserting the humanization into the part can take much longer with MIDI editing.
Old 5th November 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by elambo View Post
Indeed, and I've praised Modo's sound, too. The facepalm is due to that person's broken-record participation habits on GS. It's guaranteed that we'll see at least one such copy-pasted post about modeling, in general, every 6 months, typically without any kind of real agreement from the industry.

MODO, in fact, is the only such modeled product that I've ever come across which remains a true contender when comparing the best of sampling with the best of modeling, in its field. The pianos/trumpets/etc. which have been touted as end-all be-all fell rather flat after serious scrutiny. It won't stop people from arguing about it though.

That said, Trilium and a couple of other sampled basses have the potential to be as believable/authentic as Modo, and can, at times, feel even more engaging and organic in the track. And that is the bottom line. Their variations are limited, yes, but the tones they offer are competitive, and as I said they lay into the track similar to how my recorded basses do. Modo can feel thin and too perfect, a byproduct of most modeled instruments. Sterility. Saturation/transformer plugins can go a long way toward a more complex tone, but inserting the humanization into the part can take much longer with MIDI editing.
I’m with you

FYI: just because it’s modeled doesn’t make it better than sampling... that’s dumb. IK happened to do an outstanding job with the modeling on this product... that’s why it sounds amazing. Trillian still sounds amazing, too, but it’s 100% sampled.
Old 5th November 2019
Quote:
Originally Posted by bgood View Post
I’m with you

FYI: just because it’s modeled doesn’t make it better than sampling... that’s dumb. IK happened to do an outstanding job with the modeling on this product... that’s why it sounds amazing. Trillian still sounds amazing, too, but it’s 100% sampled.
It all just depends on the implementation of each technology. Modeling makes sense because it isolates each stage of the signal path, but, in nearly every case, it has yet to prove itself. Sampling feels limited, in theory, because you're relying on the existing recordings and the application's ability to apply those samples in ways that properly mimic the instrument. That's hard to do, but when done properly you're essentially listening to recordings of that instrument, same as if you'd actually recorded the instrument. And not only are they recordings, but they've been very carefully recorded, and often pre-mixed, so you can sound like Tony Levin or Abe Laboriel or Flea, etc. Modeling aims at flexibility and neutrality, and that requires more afterthought and mixing.

So maybe the best of both worlds would be modeling as a base (no pun intended) with "style" applied as overlays. I know that's what Modo's presets are designed to do, but they only affect the mixing. I can use Levin's/Abe's/Flea's exact signal chain but I'm not going to sound like any of them, and neither will a modeled bass.

Ad this is where modeling has greater potential because it can address this aspect more easily. Or, if you're arguing for sampling, you could say that the artist's style is already built into the samples.

This is why it comes down to product implementation. It's very difficult and tedious for either approach to pull off. IK has done a very good job with theirs, and ditto for Spectrasonic. I honestly think that a hybrid might be the answer.
Old 5th November 2019
Old 6th November 2019
Gear Addict

Good conversation re: sampled vs modeled. I find that MODO is at its best after you've learned how to use the MIDI CC controls, which gives it more flexibility and, I think, an edge over sampled.

Lately, I've been using MODO more for composition than recording. I'm not a primo bass player, so its often easier and faster for me to compose and try bass parts using MIDI because I can visualize scales (and drag notes around). After composing, I practice the parts on a real bass by playing along with MODO. Then I use the real bass for recording (which always sounds the best; I record DI, then add parallel amp modeling if needed).

Sure, I could use any old synth bass or virtual keyboard to do the same, but using a more realistic bass (i.e. Trillium or MODO) works best because it provides a better sense of what the final will sound like.
Old 6th November 2019
Quote:
Originally Posted by stonelark View Post
I find that MODO is at its best after you've learned how to use the MIDI CC controls, which gives it more flexibility and, I think, an edge over sampled.
Old 7th November 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by stonelark View Post
Lately, I've been using MODO more for composition than recording. I'm not a primo bass player, so its often easier and faster for me to compose and try bass parts using MIDI because I can visualize scales (and drag notes around). After composing, I practice the parts on a real bass by playing along with MODO. Then I use the real bass for recording (which always sounds the best; I record DI, then add parallel amp modeling if needed).
Even for those who are great players, sometimes it's still easier to just load up a bass or guitar VI, especially if you just need a quick place holder.
Old 7th November 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by PettyCash View Post
Even for those who are great players, sometimes it's still easier to just load up a bass or guitar VI, especially if you just need a quick place holder.
Especially since they are able to really "fill the gaps" in their head while and after playing or entering a quick MIDI outline/skeleton of the bass part.
Old 7th November 2019
Lives for gear

Been a long time since we've seen an update with some expansion of the available models. Any word of progress along that front, Peter?
Old 7th November 2019
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by burp182 View Post
Been a long time since we've seen an update with some expansion of the available models. Any word of progress along that front, Peter?
I'll second that. It's been nearly 2 years now. And also, the electric guitars too. But we both know that they won't be releasing any info until the product (or updates for MODO BASS) is ready for release.

It's just the way it is. Waiting is annoying I know, but it just makes the surprise all that much more pleasant.
Old 8th November 2019
Lives for gear

Always good to let them know we're waiting and still paying attention.
Old 8th November 2019
Gear Guru

Late to the party , but i must say one thing , when i was testing modo bass early on, my mistake was to compare and see if it s more realistic than for exemple Trillian or Scarbee in my case ...
Then i ve found that in a mix /production situation , i ve found it better more than half of the time thks to the higher level of tweakability ...and for me this is the strength of this bad boy , the level of control'in the hand of someone that knows what to do with it , is a deadly weapon lol
Old 29th December 2019
Gear Maniac

IK can you please get a move on and add a double bass to the roster? It's been like 20 years since Modo bass came out, I want my grandkids to know the power of physical modelling through the language of jazz!
Old 1 week ago
You can get this for $99 instead of $299 right now, just grabbed it.

https://www.ikmultimedia.com/news/in...?id=iheartmodo

Late to the party, but damn this thing sounds amazing.
Old 1 week ago
Gear Addict

....thanks for sharing. That's a great deal on a great plug-in. Yeah, its been awhile since it received some love and an update, but its still a great plug-in.
Old 1 week ago
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Constant_K View Post
IK can you please get a move on and add a double bass to the roster? It's been like 20 years since Modo bass came out, I want my grandkids to know the power of physical modelling through the language of jazz!
This would be great. I hope when they release the guitars that they also release acoustic upright basses, fretless basses and acoustic guitars.

Something tells me when they release the guitars they'll be electric guitars and the acoustic and fretless stuff will come later.

I know the waiting game is painful but it was 2016 when the basses came out and I waited for the guitars but then came the drums so the guitars are obviously still being worked on. I bet it's almost ready but we'll need to wait until it's ready for prime time.
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search