The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
IK Multimedia updates MODO BASS with new models and features
Old 24th December 2017
Lives for gear

has the update fixed random wrong notes being triggered?
Old 24th December 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by bgood View Post
I own Amplitube 4 and every flippin' amp 4 add-on... The ampeg/ampeg 2 and fender/fender 2 packs will have you covered until the aliens come to earth and eat our brains. Honestly, even the freebies that come with amplitube are geeat.

We own or have owned all the usual suspects (including uad) and amp 4 is all we use for ITB modeling on bass...

That being said, I've been reamping modo through real gear here lately... Compared against real bass gear the amp 4 stuff is right there... But, my new fave is running it through a reamp box and then into the DI on either the UA 610mkii, api or neve.... That sounds seriously delicious. I'll then dupe that new track and run one copy as a "DI" and then run the cloned track through amp4 ampeg... Run both into a bass buss and mix to taste.
Lemme add that I don't limit myself to just bass amps... Try the carol kaye deal ... Heavy muting, pick with highs rolled off and running it through a Twin. Instant old school vibe
Old 24th December 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by musicl View Post
has the update fixed random wrong notes being triggered?
Are you sure that's not pilot error?

The other day I was running two different sessions with different settings on my rme. I noticed that on one session Modo was slightly out of tune. Only on that vsti, not the rest in the session. It was bizarre... It fixed when I rebooted the computer.
Old 24th December 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by bgood View Post
Are you sure that's not pilot error?

The other day I was running two different sessions with different settings on my rme. I noticed that on one session Modo was slightly out of tune. Only on that vsti, not the rest in the session. It was bizarre... It fixed when I rebooted the computer.
I read other reports of this happening on the IK forum with no definitive solution. Seems like Modo will just sometimes start playing different pitches. Sometimes restarting fixes it but it's annoying as fudge.
Old 24th December 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
I read other reports of this happening on the IK forum with no definitive solution. Seems like Modo will just sometimes start playing different pitches. Sometimes restarting fixes it but it's annoying as fudge.
Yah... I couldn't replicate the bug, but, I do spot check now before rendering
Old 25th December 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by SocietyOfMind View Post
I don't see it as that specific... repeated quarter or eighth notes are a very common bass technique (hence products like Dream Audio Tools Repetitive Bass).

I play bass parts from a keyboard. The problem with a keyboard is that the moment you lift to repeat the note, there is a short gap before the repeat. This doesn't happen on a real bass (e.g. the "walking" right hand technique with index and middle finger). As MODO bass models the strings, the repeated notes should be particularly realistic - which is why it's disappointing not to be able to perform like that. It's also why two keys to initiate repeats would be ideal. The velocity of the repeated note (i.e. accent) should use the velocity of the repeat keys. This should be a realtime playing technique - there's no way I want to go back and edit that in.

The same goes for muting strings (I think upper D# or something may mute a string, but it should be assignable).
You are referring to the technique known as
legato. There is a switch to engage legato
in MODO BASS...its the A0 key (three notes
below the C two octaves below middle C).
Press and hold this key right before you start
playing the notes you want to connect.
Old 25th December 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Polich View Post
You are referring to the technique known as
legato. There is a switch to engage legato
in MODO BASS...its the A0 key (three notes
below the C two octaves below middle C).
Press and hold this key right before you start
playing the notes you want to connect.
Sustain Pedal CC 64 is the ideal solution for Legato, no? The 1.5.1 update allows you to change any Keyswitch to any CC
Old 26th December 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
If you haven't reported the issue to IK Support I recommend doing so. That is the best way to get a definitive solution. They will replicate and either let you know how to fix it locally or if it is a global issue they will submit an official bug to the developers and will be able to provide you specific updates/status on the issue you are experiencing. The IK forum is not for direct technical support so any information you find there on technical issues will be unofficial and lean toward anecdotal with regard to fixes/suggestions as it is a user-to-user forum. Thanks!
Old 27th December 2017
Gear Addict

Just experienced the random note bug. Was soloing the bass to eq and suddenly the bass notes sounded way off. Restarted and back to normal. Logic Pro X v. 10.3.3 on OSX 10.11.6. Will report to support when I get a chance.
Old 27th December 2017
Gear Nut

There doesn't seem any option to reassign the note stop key which is MIDI note E5 (page 31 of the user's manual). It's not even listed on the Control page of the interface. It's a pretty damn inconvenient location. Can this please be made assignable?
Old 28th December 2017
Gear Addict

This weird out-o-tune bug just happened to me: new version of MODO, OS X 10.12.6, Logic 10.3.2.

It seemed to first appear after I was fine tuning some control stuff on my MIDI bass track. Some notes were off as much as 40 cents. I did a "history undo" to restore my project to prior to any of the control changes and made sure there were no controls that could impact tuning, but the out-of-tune notes remained. A reboot of Logic set things right again. Go figure...

And — I said it once and I'll say it again, these two new bass models sound freakin' fantastic!

Last edited by stonelark; 29th December 2017 at 02:55 AM..
Old 6th January 2018
Gear Addict

I really wish there was a fretless model for emulating that classic 80's Pino Palladino sound.
Old 24th January 2018
Lives for gear

Here's one we just did using Modo... mix isn't 100% final

DejaKungFoo by BrotherBrim | Brother Brim | Free Listening on SoundCloud
Old 24th January 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by stonelark View Post
This weird out-o-tune bug just happened to me: new version of MODO, OS X 10.12.6, Logic 10.3.2.

It seemed to first appear after I was fine tuning some control stuff on my MIDI bass track. Some notes were off as much as 40 cents. I did a "history undo" to restore my project to prior to any of the control changes and made sure there were no controls that could impact tuning, but the out-of-tune notes remained. A reboot of Logic set things right again. Go figure...

And — I said it once and I'll say it again, these two new bass models sound freakin' fantastic!
This bugs me. A friend downloaded the demo, fresh install and sometimes he opens a project and it's fine, sometimes there's the random off tuning. This happens in exports so you never know what you're going to get! Modo seems unreliable enough to be wary of using until there is some fix, or way for users to fix this. This tuning issue seems to be a hidden under the carpet by ticket situation as so many users are saying the same thing, enough for it to be a real issue. I wish there was some basic troubleshooting users could try as it really would be great to rely on.
Old 24th January 2018
Lives for gear

An out-of-tune virtual instrument can be
caused by a stuck pitch bend message
transmitted from a controller with a pitch
bender that is out of calibration or does not
return to zero pitch bend. Older controllers
often have this problem.

Before you go blaming the VI, check what
pitch bend data is being transmitted by your
controller.
Old 24th January 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
An out-of-tune virtual instrument can be
caused by a stuck pitch bend message
transmitted from a controller with a pitch
bender that is out of calibration or does not
return to zero pitch bend. Older controllers
often have this problem.

Before you go blaming the VI, check what
pitch bend data is being transmitted by your
controller.
good tip... that's not the issue here as I'm triggering from a korg sv1 which doesn't have pitch bend/mod.

that being said, I think this bug has only happened once or twice here and I use it on pretty much every thing
Old 24th January 2018
Lives for gear

I heard the tuning issue a couple of times this morning. Odd.
Old 25th January 2018
Gear Addict

Its not a pitch control thing. Its a possession. .
Old 29th January 2018
Here for the gear
These out of tune random notes are a pain in the backside. It's been reported to IK support for over a year now and still no fix. And yet if someone complains on the forums about it they're told to report it to IK support (over and over again).

Thankfully I downloaded the demo version of MODO and won't be buying until it's fixed. Frankly I think if more people started complaining about it on the forums (as well as reporting to IK Support) then they will have to sort it out. So don't be shy, if you've had the problem , complain loudly about it. If you're intending on buying Modo please download the demo first and try it.
Old 29th January 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by dalair View Post
These out of tune random notes are a pain in the backside. It's been reported to IK support for over a year now and still no fix. And yet if someone complains on the forums about it they're told to report it to IK support (over and over again).

Thankfully I downloaded the demo version of MODO and won't be buying until it's fixed. Frankly I think if more people started complaining about it on the forums (as well as reporting to IK Support) then they will have to sort it out. So don't be shy, if you've had the problem , complain loudly about it. If you're intending on buying Modo please download the demo first and try it.
Please raise a ticket to IK support and who have all the answers. Of course, these answers are secret and we will not release them publicly. We will not provide any troubleshooting and we expect people trying the demo won't just give up on this NON-issue that has been in the app since 1.0. It's been over a year of people reporting this but it's not an issue.. What issue? There is no issue, send a ticket in so we can bury this....we're not trying to hide this bug. These are the droids you're looking for...
Old 30th January 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Please raise a ticket to IK support and who have all the answers. Of course, these answers are secret and we will not release them publicly. We will not provide any troubleshooting and we expect people trying the demo won't just give up on this NON-issue that has been in the app since 1.0. It's been over a year of people reporting this but it's not an issue.. What issue? There is no issue, send a ticket in so we can bury this....we're not trying to hide this bug. These are the droids you're looking for...
Nothing is being hidden, if you have an issue report it and they'll assist you. Posting about it on a third party forum will alert them to anecdotal information which will never result in a fix for your issue.

Most of the reported tuning issues were due to the pitchwheel/pitchbend setting mentioned above. If this isn't the case for you, of course support will assist you and get you working. Most of the many users of MODO BASS are not experiencing this issue or it was the aforementioned setting.

If you feel your particular ticket was not handled to your satisfaction you can reply to the ticket at any time to let the team know or PM me the ticket number and I'll have someone get back to you about it.
Old 30th January 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
...And yet if someone complains on the forums about it they're told to report it to IK support (over and over again).
See above.
Old 30th January 2018
Here for the gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter - IK View Post
See above.
Peter, I'm not sure what you are referring to when you write 'See Above' ...

Is it your response to musicl to contact support or for me to read the many other post on this thread who have asked for the tuning issue to be fixed? Inc. those like bgood who has stated that for him it's NOT a pitch wheel or bend issue.

IK support isn't great. Over a year ago I had a problem with Sampletank after an update which caused Sampletank to crash regularly. Over a two week period I provided details and files to IK support with no resolution. I couldn't afford the time to continually troubleshoot for IK Support so I decided to go another route. Since then I have started replacing my Sampletank Libraries with Kontakt Libraries.

And I feel that is a shame (on IK's part) as I invested quite a lot on ST and loved it, it's a great VI with great sounds and workflow. As is Modo bass, I really really want to add it to my tools but unfortunately I won't be until I know the tuning problem is sorted.

Last edited by dalair; 30th January 2018 at 08:40 PM.. Reason: aphasia
Old 30th January 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Peter, I'm not sure referring to when you write 'See Above' ...

Is it your response to musicl to contact support or the many other post on this thread who have asked for the tuning issue to be fixed? Inc those like bgood have stated for him it's NOT a pitch wheel or bend issue.

IK support isn't great. Over a year ago I had a problem with Sampletank after an update which caused Sampletank to crash regularly. Over a two week period I provided details and files to IK support with no resolution. I couldn't afford the time to continually troubleshoot for IK Support so I decided to go another route. Since then I have started replacing my Sampletank Libraries with Kontakt Libraries.

And I feel that is a shame (on IK's part) as I invested quite a lot on ST and loved it, it's a great VI with great sounds and workflow. As is Modo bass, I really really want to add it to my tools but unfortunately I won't be until I know the tuning problem is sorted.
Actually, I think the random tuning issue
may be part of the model. A real bass
always exhibits pitch issues. Here are the
physics:
When a string is plucked or pulled, it first goes
sharp, then flat, then settles to close to
pitch. The degree of pitch fluctuation is
determined by how hard the string is plucked
or pulled. If the player really hits the string
hard enough, the pitch is chaotic.

Sampled basses have their samples tuned
rigidly dead-on. MODO bass is a model.
It exhibits the pitch instability just like a
real bass does.

I record a lot of bass players. When I analyze
the pitch of a recorded bass track, it is ALWAYS OFF PITCH. Never perfectly in tune, ever.
The same goes for guitars, they are never
ever perfectly in tune.

If it annoys you that much, then render the
MODO bass track as audio and tune it with
software (like Melodyne).
Old 30th January 2018
Here for the gear
@ Dave Polich

"When a string is plucked or pulled, it first goes sharp, then flat, then settles to close to pitch."

Thanks for the feedback and you might have a good point there. The problem that I found is that MODO doesn't then settle close to pitch... it stayed badly sharp or flat until I restarted it or maybe changed model. But that is definitely a possible reason for the tuning problem and maybe something the IK devs should look at.

"If it annoys you that much, then render the MODO Bass track as audio and tune it with software (like Melodyne)."

Nope, I really shouldn't have to do that. MODO should work properly instead.
Old 30th January 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:

If it annoys you that much, then render the
MODO bass track as audio and tune it with
software (like Melodyne).
If you have to use melodyne to tune a software instrument then something is fundamentally wrong.

I have cleared all pitch bend/mod wheel data and still getting out of tunes notes. This isn't a little out of tune, this is a completely different note. It's that bad, you can open up a new project, pencil in notes without a mouse and get random notes sometimes pop out and sometimes not. It's a roll of the dice plugin.
Old 30th January 2018
Here for the gear

Yea, this needs to be fixed. I myself started getting wrong notes when I played with parameters such as string age, and string action. It is making the plugin nearly unusable.
Old 30th January 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by madubbs View Post
Yea, this needs to be fixed. I myself started getting wrong notes when I played with parameters such as string age, and string action. It is making the plugin nearly unusable.
I have never experienced a random wildly
out of tune note. Maybe this is a PC thing?

I have had zero issues with the latest version
of MODO Bass.
Old 30th January 2018
Here for the gear
Quote:
I have never experienced a random wildly
out of tune note. Maybe this is a PC thing?
Unfortunately not just a PC thing, it's Macs too. And it's not a DAW issue either as it happens in the standalone MODO version also.
Old 31st January 2018
Gear Addict

Quote:
I have had zero issues with the latest version
of MODO Bass.
When it happens to you one day, you'll be aghast and flabbergasted.
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search