Pro Tools issues than any other DAW.

I understand the investment you and others
have made in the PT platform. That said,
I think the issues lie mostly with AAX and PT
itself.

Which is why I abandoned PT years ago.
Old 18th December 2017
Gear Addict

(... same here. Don't care anymore if Pro Tools is "industry standard." Too buggy.)

The new basses sound fantastic, so thanks for this update!! And the new controls are powerful.

All I wish for now is a nice acoustic "stand-up" model or two, so I can put Trilian away and free up some disk space!!
Old 18th December 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by stonelark View Post
All I wish for now is a nice acoustic "stand-up" model or two, so I can put Trilian away and free up some disk space!!
That's also the only reason I use Trilian. But there's no better upright that I'm aware of. Which to me is odd because it's far from perfect and often takes a lot of tweaking to sit in the mix.
Old 18th December 2017
Lives for gear

Compared to MODO Bass there is not one
useful electric bass in Trilian. I wouldnt be
surprised if Spectrasonics is working to update
Trilian, though. Never know what NAMM
may bring.

Amplesound has a pretty good standup
acoustic bass and Martin electro-acoustic
bass.
Old 18th December 2017
Gear Nut
Quote:
(... same here. Don't care anymore if Pro Tools is "industry standard." Too buggy.)
Nope and nope. PT 12.8 works like a charm for me personally. No bugs, no bads, no crashes, nothing at all.
Old 19th December 2017
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoFi View Post
Nope and nope. PT 12.8 works like a charm for me personally. No bugs, no bads, no crashes, nothing at all.
Same here, hate to jinx myself but PT 12.8 has been rock solid for me. I’ve been updating numerous plugins and libraries, and added an S3, all without a hitch. Actually very impressed...
Old 19th December 2017
Lives for gear

The trick is to avoid 12.8.2. 12.8.1 has far fewer enemies.
Old 19th December 2017
Lives for gear

Back to the point, am I truly the only one having this issue with Modo in ProTools? It's terribly frustrating and no one will confirm the issue, and who knows if a fix is in play.
Old 20th December 2017
Gear Guru

Elambo are on mac or windows ?

I m testing this in studio one and i can t select presets , it loads one time to ten or some, i can go next or previous without issues but cant choose with the list .menu ... is it a demo limitation ?
Old 20th December 2017
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeezo View Post

I m testing this in studio one and i can t select presets , it loads one time to ten or some, i can go next or previous without issues but cant choose with the list .menu ... is it a demo limitation ?
Jeezo, current release version of MODO here with latest S1 on Win10, I have no issue selecting any presets at all.
Old 20th December 2017
Gear Maniac

Does this bass plug-in have MIDI clips built into it...(the ability to play bass licks that follow your song by playing chords on a keyboard)? Thanks and Merry Christmas!
Old 20th December 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by elambo View Post
Back to the point, am I truly the only one having this issue with Modo in ProTools? It's terribly frustrating and no one will confirm the issue, and who knows if a fix is in play.
If others here do not confirm they have the same issue (and even if so) I would recommend reporting it to the support team by opening a ticket and they can try to recreate and confirm and submit to the developers as necessary or fix it locally for you. Thanks.

Quote:

This is is not a demo limitation. You may also want to interact with IK Support to see what's going on.

Quote:
Originally Posted by KJandKT View Post
Does this bass plug-in have MIDI clips built into it...(the ability to play bass licks that follow your song by playing chords on a keyboard)? Thanks and Merry Christmas!
There are no MIDI clips included. Thanks for the suggestion.
Old 20th December 2017
Gear Maniac

You're welcome - I think it would be really great for us non-guitar players...something like Native Instruments guitar and bass instruments - great for songwriters. Thanks for being so generous with your time Peter. You always respond quickly and are attentive to customers' needs. Love the work you guys are doing - such great plugins!
Old 20th December 2017
Gear Addict

@ KJandKT - check out Odesi (on phone or tablet) or Sundog (Windows and Mac) for generating bass lines from MIDI chords. I think there's even a free demo of Sundog.

I suppose you could also check out Band in a Box ... lots of users out there.

Groove Monkey also has MIDI bass loops for hip hop, rock, or blues.

I haven't used any of these products, but they may be useful to you...
Old 20th December 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:

I'm on a Mac. Presets aren't an issue, it's only a problem when opening old sessions with the previous version of Modo.

There's nothing I can do about it. I've seen this issue before and it must be tweaked by the developer. ProTools thinks the latest version of Modo is a different plugin than the previous version.
Old 20th December 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter - IK View Post
If others here do not confirm they have the same issue (and even if so) I would recommend reporting it to the support team by opening a ticket and they can try to recreate and confirm and submit to the developers as necessary or fix it locally for you. Thanks.
I've submitted a ticket. Another computer in our company, with specs similar to mine, behaves in the same way.
Old 20th December 2017
Gear Guru

Just checked and on a blank project , it's working ....so this might be a bad plugin interactions , other plugins présents were overloud stuf , softube , kontakt , trillian , NI , waves , a vertigo and sonarworks ....

@ Peter - IK : i sent you a PM fo the EDU thingy

for all the connoisseur around , what do you guyz think should work great with modo : i own GT3 , TH3 and Guitar rug 5 as well as softubes , is Amplitube MAx really a must in my sistuation , Teddy also poi,nted me Markstudio 2 from overloud

Also speaking os sound , i found modo , less realistic than a Trillian or scarbee , BUT with amp simulation , it's articualtion and precision shines and the tweaking is just endless !! i tried Amplesound freeby but hard to judge so it's limiteed in play style ....
Old 21st December 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:

There are no MIDI clips included. Thanks for the suggestion.
Also an AT4 preset or two to go along with each clip.
Old 21st December 2017
Gear Guru

Quote:

This is is not a demo limitation. You may also want to interact with IK Support to see what's going on.

After trying to debug it , this seems that this is because i asved the project with it , i insert another instance i can do it , but the saved with project one don't work , might be the demo limitaion of presets saving in demo mod or some messing it up ...?!
Old 21st December 2017
Gear Addict

Quote:
what do you guyz think should work great with modo : i own GT3 , TH3 and Guitar rug 5 as well as softubes
My fave bass amp sim is Kuassa's Cerebrus. Check it out ... works great with Mr. Modo.
Old 21st December 2017
Gear Guru

Quote:
My fave bass amp sim is Kuassa's Cerebrus. Check it out ... works great with Mr. Modo.
I will thks
Old 21st December 2017
Gear Nut

I have the original. What I am desperately missing is the ability to map one (or preferably two) note repeat keys for realistic repeated notes. A string mute key i.e. to damp a ringing note (mappable) is also a real need.

Are these in the update?

I have the Dream Audio Tools Repetitive bass - but there's only so much ground that covers (e.g. it misses the ability to have a pattern with accents on certain repeated notes)

Last edited by SocietyOfMind; 21st December 2017 at 01:19 PM..
Old 22nd December 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by SocietyOfMind View Post
I have the original. What I am desperately missing is the ability to map one (or preferably two) note repeat keys for realistic repeated notes. A string mute key i.e. to damp a ringing note (mappable) is also a real need.

Are these in the update?

I have the Dream Audio Tools Repetitive bass - but there's only so much ground that covers (e.g. it misses the ability to have a pattern with accents on certain repeated notes)
That's a rather specific function request...

Are you playing or penciling in notes on a piano roll?

I always (going back to the Stone Age of digital) play the part... Then once it is tracked I'll add whatever little spice that that particular instrument has on tap.

In your situation, I would imagine playing around with velocity between two notes would do what I think you're explaining
Old 22nd December 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:

In studio one, from the home page on the browser on the right side of the screen, click on re-index presets...

I think that's what the option is called. In any event, this usually fixes any lost factory preset situation
Old 22nd December 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Just checked and on a blank project , it's working ....so this might be a bad plugin interactions , other plugins présents were overloud stuf , softube , kontakt , trillian , NI , waves , a vertigo and sonarworks ....

@ Peter - IK : i sent you a PM fo the EDU thingy

for all the connoisseur around , what do you guyz think should work great with modo : i own GT3 , TH3 and Guitar rug 5 as well as softubes , is Amplitube MAx really a must in my sistuation , Teddy also poi,nted me Markstudio 2 from overloud

Also speaking os sound , i found modo , less realistic than a Trillian or scarbee , BUT with amp simulation , it's articualtion and precision shines and the tweaking is just endless !! i tried Amplesound freeby but hard to judge so it's limiteed in play style ....
I own Amplitube 4 and every flippin' amp 4 add-on... The ampeg/ampeg 2 and fender/fender 2 packs will have you covered until the aliens come to earth and eat our brains. Honestly, even the freebies that come with amplitube are geeat.

We own or have owned all the usual suspects (including uad) and amp 4 is all we use for ITB modeling on bass...

That being said, I've been reamping modo through real gear here lately... Compared against real bass gear the amp 4 stuff is right there... But, my new fave is running it through a reamp box and then into the DI on either the UA 610mkii, api or neve.... That sounds seriously delicious. I'll then dupe that new track and run one copy as a "DI" and then run the cloned track through amp4 ampeg... Run both into a bass buss and mix to taste.
Old 22nd December 2017
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by bgood View Post
That's a rather specific function request...

Are you playing or penciling in notes on a piano roll?

I always (going back to the Stone Age of digital) play the part... Then once it is tracked I'll add whatever little spice that that particular instrument has on tap.

In your situation, I would imagine playing around with velocity between two notes would do what I think you're explaining
I don't see it as that specific... repeated quarter or eighth notes are a very common bass technique (hence products like Dream Audio Tools Repetitive Bass).

I play bass parts from a keyboard. The problem with a keyboard is that the moment you lift to repeat the note, there is a short gap before the repeat. This doesn't happen on a real bass (e.g. the "walking" right hand technique with index and middle finger). As MODO bass models the strings, the repeated notes should be particularly realistic - which is why it's disappointing not to be able to perform like that. It's also why two keys to initiate repeats would be ideal. The velocity of the repeated note (i.e. accent) should use the velocity of the repeat keys. This should be a realtime playing technique - there's no way I want to go back and edit that in.

The same goes for muting strings (I think upper D# or something may mute a string, but it should be assignable).
Old 22nd December 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by SocietyOfMind View Post
I don't see it as that specific... repeated quarter or eighth notes are a very common bass technique (hence products like Dream Audio Tools Repetitive Bass).

I play bass parts from a keyboard. The problem with a keyboard is that the moment you lift to repeat the note, there is a short gap before the repeat. This doesn't happen on a real bass (e.g. the "walking" right hand technique with index and middle finger). As MODO bass models the strings, the repeated notes should be particularly realistic - which is why it's disappointing not to be able to perform like that. It's also why two keys to initiate repeats would be ideal. The velocity of the repeated note (i.e. accent) should use the velocity of the repeat keys. This should be a realtime playing technique - there's no way I want to go back and edit that in.

The same goes for muting strings (I think upper D# or something may mute a string, but it should be assignable).
I guess I'm not able to visualize what you're saying... Are you playing with just one finger?

Are you using modo as a live performance instrument or for recording?
Old 22nd December 2017
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by bgood View Post
I guess I'm not able to visualize what you're saying... Are you playing with just one finger?

Are you using modo as a live performance instrument or for recording?
Both potentially, but mainly recording. e.g. play the bass line with right hand (or left hand) - no, not one finger! Then, you hold e.g. D and hit the repeat key (something assignable out of the range of the bass notes), and the result should be a repeated D, i.e. repeated fingered or picked notes without any gaps. The velocity of the repeated note should use the velocity of the repeat key for accents etc. The repeat key note off should be ignored. You want to be able to do this on the fly, ideally.

Similar techniques are used by a bunch of Kontakt instruments - e.g. Shreddage has a "thrash note" which is assignable to any key.

If you don't get what I mean by repeated bass notes, take a listen to the Dream Audio Tools Repetitive Bass demo clips. That should give you an idea.
Old 23rd December 2017
Gear Guru

Thks Bgood ... will test it asap ...
Old 24th December 2017
Gear Addict

These two new bass models are great! They sound fantastic, and sit really good in a mix without a lot of tweaking required. BTW, the "Metal" bass — based on a Dingwall 5-string bass — isn't just for metal (though its been popularized by some popular metal bands). It works for any genre, so don't pass it by if you avoid all things metal. Nice choice of bass guitars, IK! (Now how 'bout an acoustic stand-up model or two?)
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search