The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Airwindows PurestWarm: AU, Mac and PC VST Saturation Plugins
Old 27th November 2017
Airwindows

Software Airwindows PurestWarm: AU, Mac and PC VST

TL;DW: Subtle tone shaper and warmth adder.

PurestWarm

Because my Patreon was over $700 this last month, we get a special extra plugin this week.

PurestWarm is a little bit like PurestDrive (anxiously awaited by quite a few people) but not quite as sophisticated… however, in its simplicity is part of its usefulness. It applies an Airwindows softest-possible-saturation effect (like what you can get out of Density, or Channel) but it's polarized: you pick which side of the waveform the saturation applies to. For the other half of the waveform, it'll pass through the exact bits that came in. So it's half a plugin: I'm not sure there's ever been anything quite like that, on one half of the wave a full Airwindows (noise shaped to floating point) ultra-quality saturation, and on the other half of the wave, 'bypass' and literal bit-identical pass-through. I made sure even the noise shaping wasn't applying for the 'bypass' half.

The result is this: waveforms that need a little sweetening, can have that texture (not frequency or EQ, texture) subtly added to the track, in a way that utterly and totally maintains the integrity of the signal. In some ways this is 'purer' than any of the other Purest line, since by its nature it's true bypass for literally half the time. It's also one of the minimal ones, with just a switch: there's no way to get the perfect integration of bypass and effected halves (they switch off like a push-pull power amp) otherwise, and it produces an obvious enough effect but one that's harmonious and doesn't get in the way. In some circumstances it hints at being like a 'bass optimizer' since it'll push some second harmonic by its nature. You'll probably find that for any given sound (especially an electric bass guitar) there'll be one polarity that's clearly better: I think for basses where the string swings near the pickup and produces extra voltage on that side of the wave, PurestWarm will saturate that side of the wave really well and it'll give you an ideal bass tone with no extra fiddling or processing required.

It's going to be a good holiday season, I have nice things in store. If you would like ME to have a good holiday season and you're not already hooked up with my Patreon, consider it like a sort of ginormous sale: for years, I sold these plugins at $50 each to Mac Audio Unit users only. Now, I've got 'em coming out in great profusion, dozens and dozens and all manner of new things and PC VST too, and if you were to join the Patreon at $1 a month, that's $12 a year, the equivalent of buying one every four years. Except you get to use them all with my blessing. If you wanted to treat it like you were buying one of the plugins each year (and still getting to use them all) you'd pay $4 a month, $48 a year, and it would still be two dollars off from what they used to cost. I'm more interested in having people give what they can, though, because I know what it's like to be fussing over a dollar a month: right now, it's me in that position, so obviously I understand better than anybody.

However, there's a special kind of wealth in being able to generously give to the community that's found a place for me and appreciates my coding (if not my music! ). I hope you like PurestWarm, and there's a lot more where that came from. And we're going to have a fun holiday season, let me just say
Old 27th November 2017
Gear Addict

One of the ones I've been waiting to see

Thanks Chris! Looking forward to some tinkering with this in a few different channel strip ideas that I was using DCVoltage and Drive for.

Wishing your new ideas and projects bring you continued success with your Patreon.
Old 27th November 2017
Gear Nut

Can't wait to try it.

Use Airwindows plugins on 100% of what I work on.

Thank you Chris.
Old 27th November 2017
Gear Nut

If i remember correctly, there are similar diode-style non-symmetrical overdrive used in Moog's Slim Phatty's "OverLoad" (O.L.) function. Early i hardly tried to mimic it with some plugins but had no success. But with PurestDrive i like the result. Here is my recipe:

Stack up PurestWarm plugins one by one, using 10 (more or less to taste) of them to get cumulative effect, and set all of them to Normal or Inverse (or any in-between combinations of modes).

Stacked, it has that special "soft-buff" cool sound on dry Moog synths, or any other deep analog'ish basses.

2ALL, may be useful, here is previous PurestWarm video, where Chris showing it more on guitar bass examples: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MRT4TGLpuvk

Last edited by ceejay; 27th November 2017 at 08:34 PM..
Old 27th November 2017
Gear Nut

UPD: getting even more obvious and tasty! asymmetrical distortion fx with PurestGain before and after the PurestWarm to gain-stage it. I made a Doofer setup in Renoise to link all parameters, as workaround, and have a cool one-corner-distortion plugin!

Chris, is that some kind of soft-clipping at one side of waveform applied as a "warm" effect in PurestWarm algo?

Last edited by ceejay; 27th November 2017 at 08:29 PM..
Old 27th November 2017
Gear Nut

Attaching the Doofer script for Renoise.

PurestWarm on steroids ))
Internal gain amp up to 40 db; 1 to 6 warming stages and polarity adjustable.
Attached Files
Old 28th November 2017
Airwindows

Quote:
Originally Posted by ceejay View Post
UPD: getting even more obvious and tasty! asymmetrical distortion fx with PurestGain before and after the PurestWarm to gain-stage it. I made a Doofer setup in Renoise to link all parameters, as workaround, and have a cool one-corner-distortion plugin!

Chris, is that some kind of soft-clipping at one side of waveform applied as a "warm" effect in PurestWarm algo?
Yes indeed! A very simple one. Using two (in each polarity) is NOT the same as PurestDrive, though. That's a little more sophisticated
Old 28th November 2017
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisj View Post
Yes indeed! A very simple one. Using two (in each polarity) is NOT the same as PurestDrive, though. That's a little more sophisticated
Chris, since the topic is on the table there (and I was already curious)... is the saturation algorithm comparable to any of your other releases? Obviously it's assymetrical, but what about the transfer curve? Tanh?

I'm thinking two opposing PurestWarm's could be stacked and tweaked with something else to make a tasty transistor clipper...
Old 29th November 2017
Gear Nut

Quote:
Attaching the Doofer script for Renoise.

PurestWarm on steroids ))
Internal gain amp up to 40 db; 1 to 6 warming stages and polarity adjustable.
I think I can build something like that inside Reason Combinator. Great idea!

Chris, here you can find a nice review of your products:

4 Plugins from Airwindows Worth a Listen – The REAPER Blog
Old 30th November 2017
Quote:
Originally Posted by indelible View Post

omg thank you for this review because you explained how those plugins worked a lot easier than trying to read through all the threads, especially the console4 plugin!! lol
Old 30th November 2017
Gear Addict

Chris,
any plans to make VST3 versions for your plugs with 64-bit internal processing?
Old 30th November 2017
Gear Addict

Quote:

Pretty cool! One thing I noticed on BussColors4 is that a lot of the step-response behaviour seems to be post-output fader. I think the saturation probably is input though. At least it seems so with a square wave/oscilloscope... Just a thought

I've got a huge thread about this type of behaviour under development. Airwindows is a star player...

Also re: PurestDrive. I've never tried it, as I'm Windows. Eagerly anticipated here. But have you tried stacking two PurestWarm's on opposite polarities on one track? Chris says it's not the same, not quite as sophisticated... but I'd be interested to know more until I get my hands on it
Old 30th November 2017
Gear Nut

Used it today. Interesting plugin.

Worked instantly on a baseline that I was not happy with.

I like the switch and realized quick that it's just a matter of using your ears and pick what you like.

I was using logics volume trim and decided to give purest gain a try; it's like night and day.

Only problem now is that I have to redo other tracks because of the obvious difference that were already mixed because of the sound quality improvement......

Amazing tools.
Old 30th November 2017
Gear Nut

Quote:
I think I can build something like that inside Reason Combinator.
A tip 4ya: put the very gentle HiPass filter at the end of chain, to get rid of the DC offset caused by the polarity cut.
I used the Hermepass with settings: Cutoff=0,07 and Slope=1
Old 1st December 2017
Airwindows

Quote:
Originally Posted by goshalev View Post
Chris,
any plans to make VST3 versions for your plugs with 64-bit internal processing?
The existing ones are capable of 64 bit internal processing. 'double replacing' is a thing, and all of my VSTs from the beginning have had two separate inside sections, one that'll work on floats and one that'll work on 64 bit.

Now, if I'm just being silly and it doesn't work, I dunno what to tell ya. I like sticking with old tried and true plugin formats, and I thought this would give you double precision processing on a double precision buss. Even the noise shaping is adapted to work with the 64 bit buss, and this is with every existing Airwindows VST. But I can't guarantee it gets used, just that I did it properly the way you're supposed to
Old 1st December 2017
Airwindows

Quote:
Originally Posted by StoneyBCN View Post
Also re: PurestDrive. I've never tried it, as I'm Windows. Eagerly anticipated here. But have you tried stacking two PurestWarm's on opposite polarities on one track? Chris says it's not the same, not quite as sophisticated... but I'd be interested to know more until I get my hands on it
It'll get there. I'll keep you all busy in the meantime.

PurestWarm has things in common with the more complicated Density. Both of them are purely transfer functions. PurestDrive is aware of slew rate, so it's not strictly just a transfer function: the state of the previous sample (and thus, frequency content) also matters.
Old 1st December 2017
Gear Addict

Nice, thanks Chris. Cleared up a few things.

By the way all, I started a thread about circuit modelling. A bit labourious for many, I'm sure. Just trying to encourage a bit more sharing of knowledge amongst peers, some interesting insights into what any of us might happen to know about the mystery of the voltage... AirWindows due to feature heavily

Crafting circuit models using plugins

Peace
Old 1st December 2017
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by StoneyBCN View Post
Nice, thanks Chris. Cleared up a few things.

By the way all, I started a thread about circuit modelling. A bit labourious for many, I'm sure. Just trying to encourage a bit more sharing of knowledge amongst peers, some interesting insights into what any of us might happen to know about the mystery of the voltage... AirWindows due to feature heavily

Crafting circuit models using plugins

Peace
Extremely informative thread.

Thanks.
Old 2nd December 2017
Gear Nut

nice.what the hell is going on with the Patreon..it looks to of plateau'd somewhat?.i check it at the end of every week almost and it's really hard to gauge exactly where you are with it.just the other day it was above 700 and now it seems to have dropped almost 30 dollars since then.i had fully expected it to be climbing to almost 800 by now
Old 2nd December 2017
Gear Addict

[QUOTE=chrisj;12991201]PurestWarm has things in common with the more complicated Density. Both of them are purely transfer functions.
And IIRC, Density has something in common with Fracture.

If I use those three amigos (together with PurestGain) - which I have - is it like using three PurestWarm (or three Density... or three Fracture) ?

Quote:
PurestDrive is aware of slew rate, so it's not strictly just a transfer function: the state of the previous sample (and thus, frequency content) also matters.
So IIGT, it's like a dynamic slew rate which reacts to the incoming signal ?
Old 2nd December 2017
Airwindows

Quote:
Originally Posted by Idontcare View Post
nice.what the hell is going on with the Patreon..it looks to of plateau'd somewhat?.i check it at the end of every week almost and it's really hard to gauge exactly where you are with it.just the other day it was above 700 and now it seems to have dropped almost 30 dollars since then.i had fully expected it to be climbing to almost 800 by now
I expected $800 a month by 2018. People are just broke. I can't argue with that, I'm broke too

You'll notice (if you look at graphtreon) that the overall number of patrons is still increasing and this is good. What happens is, sometimes people overcommit, or they hear that I would rather have small donors and they go 'well fine, I and my money will go elsewhere!' which is also fine, since I never actually planned to reward larger donors in any special way, I'm still doing my thing regardless.

I guess I haven't earned being viral yet. The way that works is, it's pretty much luck (or lucky breaks: if I have any super-high-profile users, a shout-out would probably help). Then, if you are viral or successful, you become more so. It's like that with most things, certainly with Patreon. I'm already doing super well by Patreon standards so I'm inclined to just be grateful
Old 2nd December 2017
Airwindows

[QUOTE=A Tan;12993877]
Quote:
PurestWarm has things in common with the more complicated Density. Both of them are purely transfer functions.
And IIRC, Density has something in common with Fracture.

If I use those three amigos (together with PurestGain) - which I have - is it like using three PurestWarm (or three Density... or three Fracture) ?

So IIGT, it's like a dynamic slew rate which reacts to the incoming signal ?
No no, it's reacting differently with the distortion depending on the slew. Think of it like audio-frequency modulation of a dry-wet control. There are many possibilities there, I'm not surprised some people are extremely hung up on PurestDrive. My old Highpass and Lowpass plugins also did something like that. The great thing is you can do it without a lot of overprocessing: the algorithms are simple and not 'in the signal path' so much, you never have to 'deconstruct' the audio to do it.

Fracture's what you get if you have Density but don't clip the maximum output. If you hit a sine function (the Density transfer function) with superhigh levels it wraps around, again and again. This causes a weird frequency-doubling behavior that doesn't have artifacts, but produces really loud weird harmonics, and that's what Fracture does mind you, if I remember right, it does have different clip levels. One of the settings clips the audio just as it's driven back down to zero. So loud input will make that setting 'pulse wavey' because it'll be putting out a lot of zero voltage between the pulses… and I think it also produces very sharp corners as it hits zero, so that does give loud treble artifacts.
Old 3rd December 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
I expected $800 a month by 2018. People are just broke. I can't argue with that, I'm broke too

You'll notice (if you look at graphtreon) that the overall number of patrons is still increasing and this is good. What happens is, sometimes people overcommit, or they hear that I would rather have small donors and they go 'well fine, I and my money will go elsewhere!' which is also fine, since I never actually planned to reward larger donors in any special way, I'm still doing my thing regardless.

I guess I haven't earned being viral yet. The way that works is, it's pretty much luck (or lucky breaks: if I have any super-high-profile users, a shout-out would probably help). Then, if you are viral or successful, you become more so. It's like that with most things, certainly with Patreon. I'm already doing super well by Patreon standards so I'm inclined to just be grateful
Hey Chris,

I had to create a new Paypal account because the old one was created in a different country where I live in. I changed the payment method on Patreon, and somehow they removed my pledge. I´ve only noticed now, after seeing that I didn´t get the usual invoice. Just to let you know that you have my pledge back, although 2 days late. Sorry about the inconvenience
Old 3rd December 2017
Gear Addict

CStrip today?
Old 3rd December 2017
Gear Maniac

Airwindows plugins really offer something unique. I'm finding an organic analog warmth in the saturation plugins that is missing from that which other manufacturers offer. I hope people aren't hypnotised by flashy GUIs because these plugins are quite special.
Old 3rd December 2017
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Armitage View Post
organic analog warmth in the saturation plugins that is missing from that which other manufacturers offer.
Exactly what i felt about 'em!

BTW: Chris, there is CStrip on the way, but did you still planning to release it's predecessor: ButterComp ?
Old 6th December 2017
Airwindows

Quote:
Exactly what i felt about 'em!

BTW: Chris, there is CStrip on the way, but did you still planning to release it's predecessor: ButterComp ?
Yes
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search