The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
WeissKlang releases V17 Microphone Condenser Microphones
Old 24th November 2017
News Desk Editor

WeissKlang releases V17 Microphone

WeissKlang releases V17 Microphone-51b0c7_47aedb29e51642ca907f86fa617709f5-mv2_d_1841_4931_s_2.png

WeissKlang releases V17 Microphone

Welcome to WeissKlang V17, a large-diaphragm condenser microphone with a brilliant sound, an excellent impulse response and a high performance.

The WeissKlang V17 combines reliable characteristics with an uncompromising sound and is equipped with the newest technology. It's very versatile and perfect for all demanding applications in professional recording environments.

The V17 utilizes a discrete semiconductor circuit with superior acoustic qualities, an excellent resolution and the highest sound pressure level transmission.

With a self-noise of <8 dB-A it's very low-noise and offers a high dynamic range.

TransHarmonic™ provides both the sonic properties of tubes and the technical properties of transistors (self-noise, dynamic range, resolution).

The newly developed and patented TransHarmonic™ technology produces subtle and harmonic overtones (K2), which contribute to the great resolution and the musical sound of V17.

The overall tone gets an unmatched three-dimensionality and crispness without being recognizably colored.

The new WMK-17 capsule is gold-sputtered, least sensitive at the rear (cardioid) and edge-terminated. The frequency range of 20 - 20.000 Hz allows an optimal recording of extremely low (and high) frequencies.

The frequency response is flat with a subtle and balanced high-frequency lift from 2 kHz. Therefore the capsule captures even the finest details and works with an excellent impulse response.

The circuit and the capsule are matched, in order to get the best possible acoustic properties.

Timeless and simple

The low-resonance body of V17 is made of copper and aluminium.
The slightly roughened and powder-coated surface is very resistant and durable.

The wire mesh headgrille protects the capsule from interferences and plosive sounds.

The included MA-1 shock mount isolates the microphone from physical vibration, floor and stand noise. The low frequency absorption goes up to 18 dB.

Equipped with a soft foam layer the MA-1 provides a stable and fast mounting with adjustable angle.

The flexible rubber bands offer an ideal isolation and are replaceable.

Features:
  • Natural sound with a slight high-frequency lift
  • Cardioid polar pattern
  • Transformerless circuit design
  • Low self-noise
  • TransHarmonic™ Technology
  • Gold-sputtered WMK-17 capsule

For more information, visit: https://www.world.weissklang.com/v17

Trailer video: https://youtu.be/QXVEHMw414c

Attached Thumbnails
WeissKlang releases V17 Microphone-51b0c7_47aedb29e51642ca907f86fa617709f5-mv2_d_1841_4931_s_2.png  
Old 25th November 2017
Gear Head

You guys are crazy...wow...Transharmonic sounds promising!

What's the difference between V13 and V17?
Old 27th November 2017
Here for the gear

Hello georgehenderson,

TransHarmonic sounds just stunning and we are very proud of this technology.

Differences between V13 and V17:

Many people wrote us that they'd love to have a microphone with the technical properties of the V13 (distortion-free transients, dynamic range, self-noise, ) and a slight high-frequency lift.
We even went a step further and implemented TransHarmonic to add subtle and very musical overtones for that famous sparkle provided by tubes - without sounding harsh or distorted at all.

Cheers,
Salvatore
Old 27th November 2017
Lives for gear

Do you offer an upgrade option to existing V13 users ?

Old 28th November 2017
Here for the gear

Hello Gemylon,

the V17 isn't an upgrade but a new wonderful microphone, which enhances the WeissKlang V-Series.
Therefore an upgrade option won't be available permanently, but in the near future we will start a promotion, where V13 users can get the V17 at a discounted price. So stay tuned.

Cheers,
Salvatore
Old 28th November 2017
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by weissklangmics View Post
We even went a step further and implemented TransHarmonic to add subtle and very musical overtones for that famous sparkle provided by tubes - without sounding harsh or distorted at all.

Cheers,
Salvatore
congratulations to your new microphone ... the transharmonic thing sounds very interesting ...
will there be a v13 version with transharmonic technology in the future?
Old 28th November 2017
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by huglife187 View Post
... the transharmonic thing sounds very interesting ...
will there be a v13 version with transharmonic technology in the future?
Hello huglife187,

the V13 was designed to deliver a linear and balanced sound. It captures every signal very neutral without distortion or color, so you can add nice colorations with the V13 KlangFormer (Plug-in) after the fact.

In contrast the WeissKlang V17 delivers a very rich and warm sound with subtle and harmonic overtones. On our website you can find comparative audio samples.

Cheers,
Salvatore
Old 28th November 2017
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Hello huglife187,

the V13 was designed to deliver a linear and balanced sound. It captures every signal very neutral without distortion or color, so you can add nice colorations with the V13 KlangFormer (Plug-in) after the fact.

In contrast the WeissKlang V17 delivers a very rich and warm sound with subtle and harmonic overtones. On our website you can find comparative audio samples.

Cheers,
Salvatore
makes sense ... i will try them both
Old 29th November 2017
Gear Head

Quote:
Good job!
So basically this is a microphone WITH sugar and spice but WITHOUT distortion
and noise, isn't it?

Quote:
Originally Posted by huglife187 View Post
makes sense ... i will try them both
Be careful...otherwise you will fall in love with it, like me...
Old 29th November 2017
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by georgehenderson View Post
Be careful...otherwise you will fall in love with it, like me...
hopefully
Old 30th November 2017
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by georgehenderson View Post
Good job!
So basically this is a microphone WITH sugar and spice but WITHOUT distortion
and noise, isn't it?
Yes, exactly. The problem with tubes is the introduced noise in (most) circuits, and with wrong biased tubes you even introduce distortion. That's not the case with the V17. It offers a very crisp and warm sound without any distortion or noise.

Cheers,
Salvatore
Old 1st December 2017
I always thought the whole point of tubes was in fact distortion ?!
If i want clean, I would never think of tubes.. Did i miss something ?
Old 1st December 2017
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dezibelzebub View Post
I always thought the whole point of tubes was in fact distortion ?!
Hello Dezibelzebub,

yes, you're right. The characteristic sound of tubes is created by harmonic distortion, caused by the tubes. The problem is that wrong biased tubes (or old tubes) introduce disharmonic distortion which is (sometimes) preferable for guitar amps, but not for microphones.

Here you can find comparative vocal recordings (WeissKlang V13 and V17):

WeissKlang V13 & V17 - Audio Comparison by WeissKlang Mikrofone | Free Listening on SoundCloud

Cheers,
Salvatore
Old 1st December 2017
Lives for gear

Can the v13 with plugin mimic the v17?
Is it pointless to use the plugin on the v17?
Thanks
Old 1st December 2017
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by turtlejon View Post
Can the v13 with plugin mimic the v17?
Is it pointless to use the plugin on the v17?
Thanks
Hello turtlejon,

combined with the new edge-terminated WMK-17 capsule, TransHarmonic creates such beautiful, individual and subtle nonlinearities (or overtones), that software could only reproduce in a two-dimensional way.
Just listen to the V13 and V17 audio samples and you will notice the sparkle.

The KlangFormer is matched to the linear frequency response of the V13. However we received many emails by customers that actually own both microphones. They told us that the KlangFormer does a really good job on both the V13 and the V17, just in a different way. Many loved the "Tube" mode with the V17. So you get that big and warm sound with the crisp overtones introduced by TransHarmonic. If it sounds good, it is good.

Cheers,
Salvatore
Old 1st December 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
... but in the near future we will start a promotion, where V13 users can get the V17 at a discounted price. So stay tuned.

Cheers,
Salvatore

Before Christmas maybe ?

Old 1st December 2017
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gemylon View Post
Before Christmas maybe ?
Well, that's top secret.
But you can subscribe to our newsletter, and be one of the first to know.

Cheers,
Salvatore
Old 6th December 2017
Gear Head

Ordered! In the next week I wanna compare it to the AKG C12 and the ELA M251. From what I've heard by a few V17ers soundwise it should be a mix of both...looking forward!! bargain...
Old 4 weeks ago
Here for the gear

Hi georgehenderson, how did the V17 work out? Did you find it to be in-between the AKG C12 and the ELA M251? I'm looking to get either the V13 or the V17 mainly for my vocals but am stuck on which one. Leaning towards the V13 as it gives me more of a chance to experiment with the software. But I love the idea of a mic in-between the AKG C12 and the ELA M251 as well...
Old 4 weeks ago
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Motionrelic View Post
Hi georgehenderson, how did the V17 work out? Did you find it to be in-between the AKG C12 and the ELA M251? I'm looking to get either the V13 or the V17 mainly for my vocals but am stuck on which one. Leaning towards the V13 as it gives me more of a chance to experiment with the software. But I love the idea of a mic in-between the AKG C12 and the ELA M251 as well...
i have no experiences with the c12 or the m251 but the v17 is a very cool mic for vocals.
in my opinion the v13 and the v17 share the same character but the v17 sounds more open and the v13 more neutral (on my voice almost dull in comparison to v17), it's similar to neumann u89 and u87, some say the u89 sounds pretty neutral but i clearly hear the neumann sound, u89 and u87 sound similar to me but the u87 has more high frequencies but not so pleasant like the v17 to me, i like the u89 more than the u87.

i'm searching for a mic with a natural character without harsh highend but the v13 with the software was not very exciting to me, personally i like the v17 more.
and i like the v17 more than a u87 or akg 414 xlII ... so for that price it's a no brainer ...support is also very nice

.... unfortunately i sended the v13 and the v17 back because i was low on cash and on the search for the holy grail mic for my voice ... but i will get a v17 again when i start building a real mic locker
Old 4 weeks ago
Gear Head

Quote:
I'm looking to get either the V13 or the V17 mainly for my vocals but am stuck on which one. Leaning towards the V13 as it gives me more of a chance to experiment with the software. But I love the idea of a mic in-between the AKG C12 and the ELA M251 as well...
I have both microphones and they replaced many of the mics I had before.
And even my wallet is happier now....
The V13 is technically linear and doesn't come with the high-frequency lift.
First I was like "Oh, somebody stole the high frequencies!"
But then it worked out to be a real BEAST. Just turn it on and you're ready.
Very versatile thing (and with the Software even more). It reminds me a bit of Neumann U67 with the dark overall tone but in a more neutral and linear way.

Quote:
how did the V17 work out? Did you find it to be in-between the AKG C12 and the ELA M251?
The V17 is an incredibly good microphone for that price.
(even for a much higher price it would be)
It boosts the high-frequencies in a very musical and warm way (due to Transharmonic)
Like huglife wrote, it's on par and even better than much much more expensive microphones. I compared it too with the usual Neumanns that are lying around in my locker. It's...just...wow.
In fact it's really in between the C12 and the M251. Had the "honor" to compare the V17
It delivers that sparkly C12 sound, combined with the full and warm lows of the M251...in a veeery pleasant and noiseless way.

It's all about the way you want to go. Linear and clean or musical and warm.
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search