The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
U-he Prophet 5 emulation Keyboard Synthesizers
Old 18th November 2017
Lives for gear

U-he Prophet 5 emulation

Public beta available
u-he
Old 18th November 2017
Lives for gear

:O

I am going to be in trouble
Old 18th November 2017
Lives for gear
Yessssss! I've got Repro and have been looking forward to this.
Old 18th November 2017
Absolutely YES
Old 18th November 2017
Tui
Gear Guru

Old 18th November 2017
Lives for gear

Nice! Will take it for a test drive!
Old 19th November 2017
Sounds awesome! In HQ mode the synth is stunning, truly mind-blowing sound, very well recreated from the original hardware.
Right now, the offer Repro 1 & Repro 5 for 99$ is a great deal.
Old 20th November 2017
Lives for gear

Holy cow. urs never disappoints.

That distortion panel is butter.
Old 20th November 2017
Gear Addict

Are these like algo or like one sound sampled per preset that you can tweet a bit like artruria or IK?
Old 20th November 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wonderbird View Post
Are these like algo or like one sound sampled per preset that you can tweet a bit like artruria or IK?
Algo with some voodoo coding to make it sound awesome.
Old 20th November 2017
so good
Old 20th November 2017
unr
Gear Nut

Quote:
Arturia is not sampled afaik. Prophet VS is also a Soft Synth. But Repro from U-He has far better filters and overall sound (Actually 4 filters now)
Old 20th November 2017
Lives for gear

I'm so waiting Zebra 3 and the 2.X update ...
Old 20th November 2017
dope dope

Niiiice, been playing with it for a few minutes. Sounds cool!
Can't wait for the release to play without the demo noise haha
Attached Files

repro5.mp3 (1.38 MB, 12438 views)

Old 20th November 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Billy Palmier View Post
If you buy Repro-1, it authorizes Repro-5 as well, so you don't have to wait for the post-beta release to get rid of the demo noise.
Old 20th November 2017
unr
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Billy Palmier View Post

you can actually buy it now for $99 intro price. (just buy repro-1 it will include repro-5 beta and fully registered without noise)

on 01-01-2018 it will then only be called Repro and include both VSTs for $149.
Old 20th November 2017
oki

Shopping time it is :-)
Old 20th November 2017
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by unr View Post
Arturia is not sampled afaik. Prophet VS is also a Soft Synth. But Repro from U-He has far better filters and overall sound (Actually 4 filters now)
Really? So the GUI alone is 1gb per synth? No algo in the world is 1gb unless you’re coding your own planet.

Massive from NI is like 20mb and is 100% algo.
Old 20th November 2017
Gear Nut

Quote:
Really? So the GUI alone is 1gb per synth? No algo in the world is 1gb unless you’re coding your own planet.

Keep using Massive if it's working for you. This is a thread about Repro. They are not analogous comparisons outside of both being soft-synth VST's.

Complaining about a 1gb install size in 2017 is like telling us about your fantasy football team.

No-one cares.
Old 20th November 2017
Gear Nut

Quote:
So the GUI alone is 1gb per synth?
Yep, mostly. The installer contains a crapload of HD images that make Arturia interfaces. They take up most of the space.
Old 21st November 2017
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by possible pasts View Post
Yep, mostly. The installer contains a crapload of HD images that make Arturia interfaces. They take up most of the space.
This is exactly it. It's all GUI. It's actually a bit ridiculous IMO. Arturia included separate, unique graphics for each of the resizable sizes. So there's entirely separate graphics for 100% and 125% and 150%. This is why the installers and HD requirements are so high. The smarter move IMO would have been to include 1 set of 200% graphics and scale those down, but obviously, they took a different approach!

That said, RePro-5 is much better than the Arturia version, but has a correspondingly high CPU usage. Worth it though!
Old 21st November 2017
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Funkybot View Post
That said, RePro-5 is much better than the Arturia version, but has a correspondingly high CPU usage.
Anything by U-he blows Arturia away.

Also, Repro is in Beta so the cpu will be lowered on its actual release.
Old 21st November 2017
Here for the gear

Short demo song with Repro-5

Quote:
Originally Posted by electro View Post
Public beta available
u-he
I made a short demo song..

Old 22nd November 2017
Quote:

In use Repro-5 is 74MB according to windows task manager, I did the test by looking at the RAM usage of Ableton Live with and without Repro-5.

On another note Repro-5 can be changed in the preferences to use 8 threads instead of 4 which will spread the CPU usage across more CPU cores if you have them.
Old 22nd November 2017
kdm
Lives for gear
Sounds great, but one instance in an empty Nuendo project using 50% average ASIO load on an i7 is far too cpu-hungry to be useful (given I run higher than that with just my template to start a project - I couldn't add one instance of Repro5).

But, if u-he can bring it down to something more reasonable it would be a great addition.
Old 22nd November 2017
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by kdm View Post
But, if u-he can bring it down to something more reasonable it would be a great addition.
urs...said on his Forum page in KVR that this is only an early BETA demo.....AND TO EXPECT IT TO BE cpu Hungry. So I will yes it will use less CPU before release. How much less? that is the question.
https://www.kvraudio.com/forum/viewt...?f=31&t=494717
Old 22nd November 2017
Lives for gear

I don't think there will be much reduction before release. @kdm have you enabled MC mode?
rsp
Old 22nd November 2017
Gear Nut
There's some hope of enhancements on multicore, but nothing magic, I gues.. From Urs, on KVR:

"Anyway, the dev in charge of R5's multithreading might have found a performance bottleneck in our implementation which we might be able to remove before final release. Fingers crossed, but don't expect wonders."
Old 2nd December 2017
Lives for gear

First hardware software comparison video
YouTube
Old 3rd December 2017
Tui
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by electro View Post
First hardware software comparison video
YouTube
An interesting comparison, very competently executed.

I used to have an Xpander. As with the Prophet 5 in the video, one striking aspect was that every note had a different sonic character, a different set of overtones, different modulation. This gave the instrument added vibrancy and liveliness. You could never exactly predict how 2,3 or 4 notes in a chord would mesh and interact.

Sadly, with all VIs, this type of interaction is missing. You can notice it in the video: While the basic sonic signature is certainly there, the overall sound is somewhat bland, by way of comparison. Too polite, too contained, too smooth. A little boring, frankly. You wouldn't want to use it for playing/recording exposed solo sections.

Physical modelling is still in its infancy. Perhaps, one day CPUs have enough power to mimic all of the analogue subtleties.
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search