The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
U-he Prophet 5 emulation Keyboard Synthesizers
Old 6th December 2017
Gear Maniac

The next frontier after the prophet --> CS-80!

Urs,

Now that this thread has your attention and given that u-he nailed
so well the prophet sound, can I please ask that you create a cs-80 vst?

I know that you had explored it in the past and that there are challenges
but would you say that with new know how and increased compute power,
this dream can finally become reality?
Old 6th December 2017
Gear Nut

Quote:
can I please ask that you create a cs-80 vst?
I believe Urs has stated he won't be into analogue synth emulation for quite a few years after Repro-5 release. This still may happen once, but not for another five years at least, I reckon.

There's a couple of emulations of it on the market already. One is rather frustrating, the other worth looking into. And also one freebie that has got lots of attention and praise recently. It's more of inspired than emulated, though.
Old 6th December 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tui View Post
Good grief.

I didn't hear any differences in the voices, which is why I commented on it. If there is individual modelling going on - apparently there is - it isn't effective. The patches in the video sounded nice, but rather samey to me, lacking the dynamics and quirkiness of real analogue.

That's it. I didn't expect having to engage with what seems like a mixture of a public court hearing and a therapy session.

Are we really entering a time where people can't handle differences of opinion anymore without lashing out uncontrollably.

Good heavens.
Entering?
Old 6th December 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by possible pasts View Post
I believe Urs has stated he won't be into analogue synth emulation for quite a few years after Repro-5 release. This still may happen once, but not for another five years at least, I reckon.

There's a couple of emulations of it on the market already. One is rather frustrating, the other worth looking into. And also one freebie that has got lots of attention and praise recently. It's more of inspired than emulated, though.
What time is it?

Uhbik time... that's what!

The next five years will be exclusively to pick up on Uhbik development... then, a mighty rerelease on its thirteenth or so birthday, I say.

Hope to still be alive, but I'll bet we'll have peoples on Mars first.
Old 6th December 2017
Urs
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by consnyc View Post
Now that this thread has your attention and given that u-he nailed
so well the prophet sound, can I please ask that you create a cs-80 vst?
I can't even motivate the people I hired to work on Uhbik to work on Uhbik. I won't be able to motivate the remaining DSP developers to work on yet another emulation.

I'm somehow to unexperienced as a boss to enforce my employees to work on the things I originally wanted them to take over. Instead their efficiency is best met by putting them towards new projects.

Myself, I don't know if I'll ever write much of a plug-in anymore. I'll contribute, but even if I wanted to, u-he has become to large an outfit to give me the freedom to work on the things I want or should. The success of Diva has killed that for me.
Old 6th December 2017
Lives for gear

Civility went out the window when people started top-posting on GS.
Quote:
Originally Posted by antithesist View Post
Entering?
Uhbik!
Old 6th December 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Urs View Post
I can't even motivate the people I hired to work on Uhbik to work on Uhbik. I won't be able to motivate the remaining DSP developers to work on yet another emulation.

I'm somehow to unexperienced as a boss to enforce my employees to work on the things I originally wanted them to take over. Instead their efficiency is best met by putting them towards new projects.

Myself, I don't know if I'll ever write much of a plug-in anymore. I'll contribute, but even if I wanted to, u-he has become to large an outfit to give me the freedom to work on the things I want or should. The success of Diva has killed that for me.
Not too be to correcty, but I think at least a couple of you tos need and extra o.

Unfortunately, success can bring great bring greater sadness than failure... the fat lady hath sungeth.

OK, how about Uhbik II: The Sequel?

Seriously, though... I seem to remember a bunch of questions about effects in the last survey.

Roll up a bunch of the effects from your instruments people have been asking for and BOOM!
Old 6th December 2017
Gear Nut

Quote:
The success of Diva has killed that for me.
I think I'll be just fine with Diva 2 from you in a couple of years, hopefully! No more future requests! At least from me

And in regards to Yamaha CS-80 that I also love, I think that Swede, or Norwegian?? (I feel like R.J. MacReady from "The Thing" right now, if you know what I mean), does that Japanese tank pretty convincingly.
Old 6th December 2017
Gear Nut

Quote:
I can't even motivate the people I hired to work on Uhbik to work on Uhbik.
Procrastination, sabotage, revolt aboard
Old 6th December 2017
Lives for gear

Another Repro demo:

(only the arp is diva)

Old 6th December 2017
Gear Maniac

Quote:

Hmm, hopefully the future will bring renewed enthusiasm for worthy projects
( cs80 ).

As for motivating employees I will share the following list of people management
techniques from an experienced manager source that will NOT be named:
1. promise
2. threaten
3. inspire
4. beg
Old 6th December 2017
Gear Nut

Cut pays or boost pays - Urs decides.

Team shall be reminded of this more often ;-)
Old 6th December 2017
Urs
Lives for gear
Quote:
Not too be to correcty, but I think at least a couple of you tos need and extra o.

Unfortunately, success can bring great bring greater sadness than failure... the fat lady hath sungeth.

OK, how about Uhbik II: The Sequel?

Seriously, though... I seem to remember a bunch of questions about effects in the last survey.

Roll up a bunch of the effects from your instruments people have been asking for and BOOM!
Hahaha, you're right about the toos.

As with everything, there's a pretty huge string of this and that attached.

As you know, there are numerous plans for Uhbik, yet somehow there's never been the right moment to follow through. With all that's gone down it seems that all we can do is keep it alive for now.

When we did Uhbik REs I thought this was also a good thing to kickstart further developments. But this turned into the opposite when REs got completely stuck for us, we couldn't even update the existing ones. An update to Uhbik VST/AU would have been bad mojo in an already stressful situation with the state of RE. Quite the dilemma! I'm very glad that Propellerhead added VST support and went for a model for RE that we could not follow. So now we offered a variety of crossgrades from RE, and RE is out of the picture.

We also have had a gorgeous redesign for all Uhbiks in our drawer for more than two years. Same with Filterscape and MFM. Somehow the whole overhead with VST3, AAX and RE, OS updates and a few left over bugs/flaws from the early days always had us focus on the main cashcows, namely Diva and Zebra, and new products to pay for the necessity to expand. VST3 updates are still in process, I hope everything will be done in about half a year, including the preset browser make over that stalled Repro-5 for a while. I haven't hired new people in a year and nobody quit, so we're pretty good in terms of stability and routine.

Anyhow, Uhbik. By now it indeed feels like we need to do a V2, with full rewrites of everything. Like a fresh start. Not sure.

As for the fx in our synths... we're pretty much committed to Lyrebird and the spring reverb. Those don't work in the Uhbik concept because we can't make them surround capable. But Uhbiks have to, because funny enough, our biggest customers are not necessarily Hans Zimmer and his colleagues, our biggest customers are in the games industry, and they buy Uhbik. Only a few hundred licenses in total, but some companies bought in bulk for their sound design crews.

But yes, I would love to add something. I would love to add modulations. I would love to add that rack kind of idea, if only in a rudimentary, yet useful version. But I can't seem to ever figure out who's gonna do it, what it is and when to do it. The thing I've taken away from the stormy time of Uhbik's release is, I'll never given as much as a hint of a promise for anything that's gonna happen. I use the word "hope" a lot because the world is agile with lots of weird turbulences and plans change all the time.
Old 6th December 2017
Urs
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by Analogue Mastering View Post
Another Repro demo:

(only the arp is diva)

Sounding great!
Old 6th December 2017
Lives for gear
Quote:

Hope to still be alive, but I'll bet we'll have peoples on Mars first.
Yes. I've been waiting patiently for years. It's getting lonely up here
Old 7th December 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:

What about Zebra Urs ?I think it all started here , for me this an absolute desert island ...
Old 7th December 2017
Gear Nut

Quote:
What about Zebra
I think Zebra 3 is exactly what's coming after Repro-5 dust settles a bit
Old 7th December 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by possible pasts View Post
I think Zebra 3 is exactly what's coming after Repro-5 dust settles a bit
From what i understoofd there will be an major update of the 2 first then the V3 ...
Old 7th December 2017
Lives for gear

A U-HE sampler would be pretty cool!
Old 7th December 2017
Gear Addict

Quote:

As you know, there are numerous plans for Uhbik, yet somehow there's never been the right moment to follow through. With all that's gone down it seems that all we can do is keep it alive for now.

When we did Uhbik REs I thought this was also a good thing to kickstart further developments. But this turned into the opposite when REs got completely stuck for us, we couldn't even update the existing ones. An update to Uhbik VST/AU would have been bad mojo in an already stressful situation with the state of RE. Quite the dilemma! I'm very glad that Propellerhead added VST support and went for a model for RE that we could not follow. So now we offered a variety of crossgrades from RE, and RE is out of the picture.

We also have had a gorgeous redesign for all Uhbiks in our drawer for more than two years. Same with Filterscape and MFM. Somehow the whole overhead with VST3, AAX and RE, OS updates and a few left over bugs/flaws from the early days always had us focus on the main cashcows, namely Diva and Zebra, and new products to pay for the necessity to expand. VST3 updates are still in process, I hope everything will be done in about half a year, including the preset browser make over that stalled Repro-5 for a while. I haven't hired new people in a year and nobody quit, so we're pretty good in terms of stability and routine.

Anyhow, Uhbik. By now it indeed feels like we need to do a V2, with full rewrites of everything. Like a fresh start. Not sure.

As for the fx in our synths... we're pretty much committed to Lyrebird and the spring reverb. Those don't work in the Uhbik concept because we can't make them surround capable. But Uhbiks have to, because funny enough, our biggest customers are not necessarily Hans Zimmer and his colleagues, our biggest customers are in the games industry, and they buy Uhbik. Only a few hundred licenses in total, but some companies bought in bulk for their sound design crews.

But yes, I would love to add something. I would love to add modulations. I would love to add that rack kind of idea, if only in a rudimentary, yet useful version. But I can't seem to ever figure out who's gonna do it, what it is and when to do it. The thing I've taken away from the stormy time of Uhbik's release is, I'll never given as much as a hint of a promise for anything that's gonna happen. I use the word "hope" a lot because the world is agile with lots of weird turbulences and plans change all the time.
Maybe all you need is a kick in the a...:D
JUST F... DO IT!!! I use Uhbik alot cause these plugins simply sound amazing! Still there is so much potentials for future developement as you already mentioned.
Old 7th December 2017
Urs
Lives for gear
Yep, after Repro we'll have a Z2 update - bunch of new modules + major UI work. But also, everything else will be updated subsequently. Latter are mostly a tiny bit of UI work and compiles with the latest code base, then a week or two of testing.

The things I can't pass on to other devs are Z3 oscillators/MSEGs and filters. The time I get to spend on these defines the bottom line of when this can be finished. My optimistic hope is to present an alpha version at Superbooth in May 2018. The timing is crucial because we want to close one or two conceptual gaps between software and Eurorack (not cables, but... you'll see... good stuff).

In the meantime the webteam should have a new website up and running, so I expect it to appear with Lyrebird and whatever we're gonna call the spring reverb in March. But also, we secretly hired an external team to work on a completely new product line for us.

Coming to think of it, the person that would accelerate all of this big time would be an employee to pass on all my social media accounts. I just somehow can't see myself giving up on that part

Anyhow, we got a bit of a scare in the beta team, not sure if it's a bug in R5 or in the host, but I guess we'll post the RC anyway today.
Old 7th December 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Analogue Mastering View Post
Another Repro demo:

(only the arp is diva)

This could flush out on Soma Records... old warm sounding vinyl times..
Old 7th December 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tui View Post
God, what is the matter with you people. Is there some kind of mental illness going on, or what?
And with that, this pompous egomaniac gets added to my ‘Ignore’ list.
Old 7th December 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsblack View Post
This could flush out on Soma Records... old warm sounding vinyl times..
Thnx! It’s a free 24bit wav download for who wants it.
Old 7th December 2017
Lives for gear
price was to good to pass up so I picked up Repro. Not sure where it will fit in my arsenal but it does sound great so I am sure it will get some good use. Congrats on another great release.
Old 7th December 2017
Gear Addict

Hi Urs.. just seen this. I bought Repro-1 when it first came out and absolutely love it. So when Repro-5 is released will I be sent a link? I'm sure others have said it but what a cool gift for those of us who never expected it. Thank you
Old 8th December 2017
Gear Addict
I've been playing with the most recent RC of Repro-5 (v1.1.0) and must say this synth has terrific multicore load balancing, definitely beats all the other softsynths I have in this department. With some fine tuning in Logic two or more instances of Repro-5 distribute the load across all 24 threads of my old (2010) classic Mac Pro.

A big to Urs and Crew.
Old 8th December 2017
Urs
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by lostinmusic View Post
Hi Urs.. just seen this. I bought Repro-1 when it first came out and absolutely love it. So when Repro-5 is released will I be sent a link? I'm sure others have said it but what a cool gift for those of us who never expected it. Thank you
You'll receive a link if you've subscribed our newsletter. Otherwise of course you can just download the current beta/rc or the final version, install & you're ready to go!
Old 8th December 2017
Lives for gear

The new version scales great on multicore.
Old 8th December 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:

Thanks (really)... just keep it alive as is and I'll be happy (and in better company than myself).

I bought Uhbik when it came out for like 100 USD, I think... we're good!

You did add my most-used Uhbik G after that, as I recall... so, promise kept.

X would have been great, but I'll just let the idea rest in peace.

Urs' transparency as demonstrated here is what I meant by 'uhnique.'

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarsBot View Post
Yes. I've been waiting patiently for years. It's getting lonely up here
lol... we're coming!

(yeah, that's what *** said... throwing that in because someone probably would)
New Reply Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook  Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter  Submit Thread to LinkedIn LinkedIn  Submit Thread to Google+ Google+  Submit Thread to Reddit Reddit 

Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search