The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
ez1073pre - 500 series Class A - 3 stage Mic amp Dual-Channel Preamps
Old 17th November 2017
Gear Maniac

ez1073pre - 500 series Class A - 3 stage Mic amp

The ez1073-pre ..... a 500 series version of a classic Class A mic-pre..... with Carnhill input and output transformers.

Available as either a DIY kit, or a ready-assembled unit:

They can be ordered here:
Kits

The kit version contains all the components required to make the ez1073pre.

The on-line store ships worldwide automatically.

During the checkout stage it will calculate the airmail to your destination address and remove the UK tax if applicable.

Build instructions are here:
http://www.audiomaintenance.com/down...colourbook.pdf

Colin - AML
Audio Maintenance Limited
Old 17th November 2017
Is that an impedance switch ? I wonder, does it change the frequency response or is it a very subtle thing ?
Old 17th November 2017
And also, would it be possible to make the trim accesiible without a screwdriver ? is it possible to attach a knob ? I really like this !
Old 17th November 2017
Here for the gear

It's a wonderful thing! After seeing Colin's 1081 500 series pres I was hoping that this could come in to reality. And here it is, my dreams have come true. I have already built 2 ez1073 pre/eqs and 1 AM16-500 and they're amazing. AML kits are easily the best documented and laid out kits you can get. If you have decent soldering skills go get a digital multimeter and start building these pres.
Old 17th November 2017
Gear Addict

Love it!!
Old 17th November 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by organicsounds View Post
It's a wonderful thing! After seeing Colin's 1081 500 series pres I was hoping that this could come in to reality. And here it is, my dreams have come true. I have already built 2 ez1073 pre/eqs and 1 AM16-500 and they're amazing. AML kits are easily the best documented and laid out kits you can get. If you have decent soldering skills go get a digital multimeter and start building these pres.
just had a quick look at the documentation.
i n c r e d i b l e !
very impressive
Old 17th November 2017
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by the fxs View Post
just had a quick look at the documentation.
i n c r e d i b l e !
very impressive
And better yet all the resistors come pre-cut, bent and labeled.
Old 17th November 2017
Lives for gear

Anyone care to comment on the sound quality of AML kits?

Thanks is advance.
Old 17th November 2017
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlie-O View Post
Anyone care to comment on the sound quality of AML kits?

Thanks is advance.
I have 2 AML ez1073 pre/eq and 1 AM16-500. It doesn't matter to me if I use my BAE 1073 or my AML 1073 when recording as the quality is spot on with me going to the AML's more often than not for the Neve thing.

I swear by AML gear.
Old 18th November 2017
Gear Nut

I have 4 of the EZ1073 and 2 of the AM16.. always my first go-tos for that sound. Dripping with the good stuff. The bigger EZ1073 have a fabulous EQ as well. Well built and the DIY AM16s have great components.. not sure how well built they were by me :-)
Old 18th November 2017
500 series nutjob

Quote:
Originally Posted by slenderchap View Post
The ez1073-pre ..... a 500 series version of a classic Class A mic-pre..... with Carnhill input and output transformers.

Available as either a DIY kit, or a ready-assembled unit:

They can be ordered here:
Kits

The kit version contains all the components required to make the ez1073pre.

The on-line store ships worldwide automatically.

During the checkout stage it will calculate the airmail to your destination address and remove the UK tax if applicable.

Build instructions are here:
http://www.audiomaintenance.com/down...colourbook.pdf

Colin - AML
Audio Maintenance Limited
Colin you O'll dawg!
keep that amazing gear coming!!!

pan
Old 18th November 2017
Lives for gear

Does this mean we might someday see a separate 1073 (or 1081)-eq?
Old 18th November 2017
Noa
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by TimS View Post
Does this mean we might someday see a separate 1073 (or 1081)-eq?
A 1081 EQ would be great.
Old 6th December 2017
Gear Nut

Placed my order the other day and FedEx tells me it's on my doorstep. Can't wait to go home and start the build! I still can't believe how fast it was delivered to the US.

If I like it I'll definitely be getting another one for sure!
Old 7th December 2017
500 series nutjob

post pics!
Old 10th December 2017
Lives for gear
It’s much cheaper in total than the Don Classics and even the Soundskulptor. I am actually very skeptic about this. It’s possible that’s it’s more of an inspired by the 1073 (like the GAP73) rather a true and accurate clone (in terms of how it sounds).

Howcome Colin hasn’t said much about the sound? And will also offer an accompanying EQ in future to go with both the EZ1081 and EZ1073.
Old 10th December 2017
Lives for gear

I don't get the trim screw. Why not just put a knob? That can't possibly add that much to the cost and is a lot easier to use. Is it a space issue? I don't get it.
Old 10th December 2017
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by pan60 View Post
post pics!
Will do!
I might make a video of it and post it on one of my websites and portions on YouTube.
Old 13th December 2017
Here for the gear

I've recently built one... great fun, worked first time and Sounds amazing!!!!

I have 3 more to build and can't wait to have 4 of them ready to go!

I highly recommend. Colin has just released the 1081 and 1073 line amps too.
Old 14th December 2017
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by pan60 View Post
post pics!
Here are a few. One of everything unpacked and one of my progress. I plan on finishing it by the end of the weekend and hope to be trying it out by next week!
Attached Thumbnails
ez1073pre - 500 series Class A - 3 stage Mic amp-1.jpg   ez1073pre - 500 series Class A - 3 stage Mic amp-2.jpg  
Old 14th December 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by megatonemark View Post
I've recently built one... great fun, worked first time and Sounds amazing!!!!

I have 3 more to build and can't wait to have 4 of them ready to go!

I highly recommend. Colin has just released the 1081 and 1073 line amps too.
So I take it that the line amps are not intended or capable of being used as a preamp and are solely intended to be used as line amps for flavoring mix bus and things like that? I'm also assuming that the preamp versions, which don't have a pre/line switch on them can only function as a preamp and can't be used as a line amp?
Old 14th December 2017
Here for the gear

@Quint The pre amp model is the mic amp, the line amp version is for line level signal.
Old 14th December 2017
Lives for gear
I can see a pair of those line amps being used to warm up stereo busses and also being good for running keyboards through before hitting A/D conversation. And those with bigger budgets could probably build some sort of summing setup using a massive 500 series rack.

But back to the preamp, why didn’t he just include a DI with it? And also I hope a DIY EQ is on the way to accompany both the 1081 and 1073.
Old 14th December 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by megatonemark View Post
@Quint The pre amp model is the mic amp, the line amp version is for line level signal.
That's what I figured. I just wanted to double check. It seems like a curious decision to me for AML to choose to offer two separate models instead of just making one with a pre/line switch like a ton of other preamps offer.
Old 17th December 2017
Gear Maniac

What about using an adapter like LINE PAD-Z for running line level with the preamp version?
Old 21st December 2017
Gear Nut

Finished!!

Finally finished the build. It was pretty easy, just went nice and slow.
Having a few issues adjusting the gain properly but it is close enough for rock and roll!

Here are the finished pics of my build. As mentioned, the build was pretty easy, the quality of the parts is very, very good and the sound is great! I have no complaints and will be buying another.
Attached Thumbnails
ez1073pre - 500 series Class A - 3 stage Mic amp-img_2130.jpg   ez1073pre - 500 series Class A - 3 stage Mic amp-img_2131.jpg  
Old 18th April 2018
Gear Maniac

Can these be calibrated easily with just a DAW and multimeter? The calibration steps on the instructions confuse me a little, how would I accurately input -40dbu and measure +20db on the output without any test equipment?
Old 3 weeks ago
Gear Addict

Hi Colin
I have sent emails, but no answers back. How can I get in contact with you?
Bjorn
Old 2 weeks ago
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jake_SJL View Post
Can these be calibrated easily with just a DAW and multimeter? The calibration steps on the instructions confuse me a little, how would I accurately input -40dbu and measure +20db on the output without any test equipment?

My thoughts too. May have found something helpful for us:

from Hairball audio - start at 3:40
YouTube

Aml ez1073 pre calibration

dB dBu dBFS dBV to volts audio conversion digital - calculator volt to dBu and dBV dB mW SPL dB decibels 0 dBFS - convert dB volt normal decibels relatioship relation explanation analog audio absolute level true rms convertor converter decibel to dbfs

I think they're referring to the rack mount ez1073 or the 500+eq version(?) but are the steps still similar?
From what I gather, -40dBu is a voltage and definitely different than whats coming out of the line out of an interface. Main question is how do we safely and accurately supply that -40dBu AND measure the output. Can we use our daw levels to measure that output and adjust? Do we use TP1 and TP2 and measure the mV equivalents? Where's that -40 coming from?

Could be overcomplicating this and completely wrong, BUT ay, lernin

other helpful things:
Classic Audio Products, Inc.
@[email protected] suggested the Neutrik Test Instruments (NTI) Minirator MR1 for sending the -40dBu into the unit
Fluke 115 is some thing to look at as well

Maybe @29CountsNY @megatonemark or @slenderchap can help us confirm those steps? Thanks in advance dudes!

Last edited by bksmit; 2 weeks ago at 07:14 AM.. Reason: i did some more research
Old 2 weeks ago
Gear Nut

I can’t remember exactly how I did it, but I think I sent a signal out of Pro Tools at -40dbu using a signal generator and then used my vintage fluke meter or ran the signal back into Pro Tools.
I needed the test jig to do it properly though and I think I got that from JLM Audio or one of the other DIY companies.
I was building this, plus 4 CAPI units at the same time so my memory is a little hazy on the specifics.
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search