The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Universal Audio Releases Empirical Labs® EL8 Distressor Compressor Plug-In Dynamics Plugins
Old 15th November 2017
News Desk Editor

Universal Audio Releases Empirical Labs® EL8 Distressor Compressor Plug-In

Universal Audio Releases Empirical Labs® EL8 Distressor Compressor Plug-In-distressor-gui.jpg

Universal Audio Releases Empirical Labs® EL8 Distressor Compressor Plug-In Exclusively for UAD and Apollo Platforms

In close partnership with Empirical Labs and its founder, Dave Derr, Universal Audio is proud to introduce the Empirical Labs EL8 Distressor Compressor plug-in for UAD hardware and Apollo interfaces as part of UAD Software v9.4 — an expert end-to-end circuit emulation of the iconic compressor that has been used on thousands of hit records.

“The UAD EL8 Distressor plug-in is significantly better in accuracy and operation than the other plug-ins that try to cop its vibe and sound,” says Distressor creator Dave Derr. “It’s the best Distressor emulation in the world and will stand the test of time as the definitive Distressor emulation.”

Introduced in 1993, the Empirical Labs EL8 Distressor is revered in studios all over the world as the modern, “must-have” compressor. Versatile, super fast, and offering tons of color, the Distressor picks up where the legendary UA 1176 and Teletronix LA-2A compressors leave off — a modern tool that’s equal parts utilitarian and creative.

The Empirical Labs EL8 Distressor Compressor plug-in provides all the features and coveted sound of the original Distressor design. UA’s team of DSP experts started with a complete circuit trace and component study of Dave Derr's selected golden unit. Simultaneously, the team analyzed three more Distressors representing the lifetime of the product — ensuring one of UA’s tightest circuit models to date.

Empirical Labs EL8 Distressor Plug-In Key Features:
  • Track and mix with the only authentic emulation of the EL8 Distressor — the world's most popular modern compressor
  • Radically shape guitars, drums, and vocals with nearly infinite gain reduction variations
  • Creatively color instruments and vocals with famous “Dist 2” and “Dist 3” modes
  • Embellish, pump up, or destroy bass, synth, and room mics with custom detector filtering
  • Harness plug-in-only features like Dry/Wet parallel processing and Headroom for user-customizable operating level
  • Mix with presets from Chris Coady (Yeah Yeah Yeahs, TV on the Radio), Chris Zane (Passion Pit, The Walkmen), Hector Delgado (A$AP Rocky, Selena Gomez) Jimmy Douglass (The Rolling Stones, Roxy Music), and more
Learn more about UAD Software v9.4 here:
www.uaudio.com/uad/downloads

Learn more about the Empirical Labs EL8 Distressor Compressor plug-in here:
https://www.uaudio.com/uad-plugins/c...ompressor.html

Learn more about class-leading Apollo audio interfaces:
www.uaudio.com/apollo

Learn more about award-winning UAD Powered Plug-Ins:
www.uaudio.com/uad-plugins
Attached Thumbnails
Universal Audio Releases Empirical Labs® EL8 Distressor Compressor Plug-In-distressor-gui.jpg  
Old 15th November 2017
Lives for gear

UAD Distressor just released.

Old 15th November 2017
300 euros and only 6 instances on a Duo chip until it's maxed out

Last edited by cyjanopan; 15th November 2017 at 09:39 PM..
Old 15th November 2017
Gear Maniac
Cue UAD vs Slate comparison test hell
Old 15th November 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by theillusionist View Post
I'm on it!
Old 15th November 2017
Gear Maniac

This is by far the best emulation of the distresser up to date.

Have I tried it? No.
Old 15th November 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by theillusionist View Post
Yeah, I'm going to compare them for sure.

Dave Derr seems to prefer the UAD version.
Old 15th November 2017
Lives for gear
from the UAD site - "When comparing Distressor software emulations, contrast the original hardware’s ultra-fast attack time to quickly hear where most plug-ins fail"

the gloves are off.

actually really happy about the timing, it was the only plugin i was using from Slate, so once Ive tested this hopefully I won't have to renew the slate everything (altho i only use one plugin) bundle
Old 15th November 2017
Lives for gear
This is why I prefer to buy plugins towards the end of the year....so much double up releases.
Old 15th November 2017
Lives for gear
ALTHO STILL NO BRIT MOD???? why!!! its at least 30% of this compressor to me
Old 15th November 2017
Lives for gear

Slate doesn't have Brit mode either.

I wonder if this is difficult to do, or if it is staged to be a paid upgrade later on?
Old 15th November 2017
Here for the gear
I wonder if this is just the Arouser plugin with a new GUI on the UAD Platform?
Old 15th November 2017
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by octatonic View Post
Slate doesn't have Brit mode either.

I wonder if this is difficult to do, or if it is staged to be a paid upgrade later on?
maybe its difficult..

maybe Dave is holding on to it. it does mean I won't be getting rid of the HW for mixing (always keep some for tracking mind) Nuke Parallel vocal / Bass / Drums with Brit Mod is powerful ****
Old 15th November 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by ckalinec View Post
I wonder if this is just the Arouser plugin with a new GUI on the UAD Platform?
It doesn't really work like that.

Firstly, Arouser doesn't sound like a Distressor.
Those of us with hardware Distressors + Arouser + various plugin emulsions would spot this immediately.

Secondly, if it did sound like a Distressor then E-Labs still wouldn't hand over their Arouser code to UA.
UA will have to have developed this in house.

Thirdly, E-Labs will have been paid (hopefully handsomely) by UA for licensing the Distressor name.
Old 15th November 2017
Gear Nut
As much as I love UAD that instance count kicked me in the .........
I will wait for slate to release it without VMR or improved DSP to buy from UAD. Congrats to UAD for the release.
Old 15th November 2017
Gear Maniac

Man I really love those UA product video's. Quality in both the production and on an artistic level. The vibe and looks are always spot on.
Looking forward to give this one a spin!
Old 15th November 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by cyjanopan View Post
300 euros and only 6 instances on a Duo chip until it's maxed out
Yeah, not very 2017.
Old 15th November 2017
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by Studio Saturn View Post
As much as I love UAD that instance count kicked me in the .........
I will wait for slate to release it without VMR or improved DSP to buy from UAD. Congrats to UAD for the release.
Yeh, I feel like UAD either have to bring out UAD 3, make the plugins more efficient or open up native processing in conjunction with their DSP cards.

To need like 24 cores to run a mix (so a minimum of 3 extra boxes) is kinda mad.

And yes I do freeze and commit, and i have to unfreeze and commit, and its annoying. Comfortably I would need 24 cores. Please up the game UAD!!!!!!!!!!
Old 15th November 2017
Lives for gear

Arouser... Stress... Disto-S... now UAD 'Distressor' officially recognised by the hardware creator as the Best?!! Wasn't that Slate's title just a couple of weeks ago...

Like waiting for a bus for ages and then...

Zz.
Old 15th November 2017
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by fredouli View Post
Yeh, I feel like UAD either have to bring out UAD 3, make the plugins more efficient or open up native processing in conjunction with their DSP cards.

To need like 24 cores to run a mix (so a minimum of 3 extra boxes) is kinda mad.

And yes I do freeze and commit, and i have to unfreeze and commit, and its annoying. Comfortably I would need 24 cores. Please up the game UAD!!!!!!!!!!
This will be this thread's equivalent of the VMR controversy on the FG-Stress thread. And legitimately so. Hopefully people won't try to prevent this discusssion
Old 15th November 2017
Gear Nut

Dave is just cashing in where he can. Makes sense!
Old 15th November 2017
Gear Nut
God this plugin is glorious! I wish my slate trial was not expired. I could have done back and forth switch and decided which one I like better. But for the time being it has made me forget about the instance count.
Old 15th November 2017
Gear Addict
I guess the "brit mode" will need quantum computer since that much non linear distortion is impossible to replicate. Probably they all tried and soon abandoned the idea when comparing
Old 15th November 2017
Gear Head

Why is everyone complaining about DSP usage? In fact, UAD Fatso eats up more than new Distressor, which was released who know how far ago))

I just did a shootout with Slate, and i like UAD a lot, but Slate is very good on 6:1 ratio for me still.

I love that UAD calibrated everything exactly -18dBfs, so precise. And it's super punchy and adds harmonics so nicely, which Slate doesn't really do.

Anyway, it's a cool release. Why the heck did everyone wait forever to release their Distressors???
Old 15th November 2017
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roman English View Post
Why is everyone complaining about DSP usage? In fact, UAD Fatso eats up more than new Distressor, which was released who know how far ago))
Cos the more plugins I buy from them the more DSP I need. Having 2 DSP boxes maxed out (and having to freeze so many tracks) next to a multi core computer that isn’t even breaking a sweat makes no sense. Come on it’s 2017!!!!
Old 15th November 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roman English View Post

I just did a shootout with Slate, and i like UAD a lot, but Slate is very good on 6:1 ratio for me still.

I love that UAD calibrated everything exactly -18dBfs, so precise. And it's super punchy and adds harmonics so nicely, which Slate doesn't really do.

Anyway, it's a cool release. Why the heck did everyone wait forever to release their Distressors???
Slate doesn't add harmonics? Are you sure?

Well, in a couple of days I'll download this new UAD release and compare them both myself. And Arousor too. And maybe the hardware.

Having Stress, Arouser and Disto, I really doubt anything else will make me spend 300 bucks for a Distressor plugin. But I'll certainly give a chance for UAD.
Old 15th November 2017
Lives for gear
Lol
Attached Thumbnails
Universal Audio Releases Empirical Labs® EL8 Distressor Compressor Plug-In-f3cdfbea-ef4c-436a-ad15-b06958ee6e32.jpg  
Old 15th November 2017
Lives for gear

I can't believe people are still buying into this UAD ****...you can get a freaking 18 core i9 processor and run hundreds of native plugins in 2017 - without latency.
Old 15th November 2017
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by SameOh View Post
Slate doesn't add harmonics? Are you sure?

Well, in a couple of days I'll download this new UAD release and compare them both myself. And Arousor too. And maybe the hardware.

Having Stress, Arouser and Disto, I really doubt anything else you'll make me spend 300 bucks for a Distressor plugin. But I'll certainly give a chance for UAD.
I didn't say it doesn't add harmonics, but you'll hear what i'm talking about.
Old 15th November 2017
Gear Nut

Good bye Slate subscription... Dont let the door hit you on the way out.
New Reply Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook  Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter  Submit Thread to LinkedIn LinkedIn  Submit Thread to Google+ Google+  Submit Thread to Reddit Reddit 

Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search