The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Universal Audio Releases Empirical Labs® EL8 Distressor Compressor Plug-In Dynamics Plugins
Old 5th December 2017
  #241
Lives for gear
 
Pro5's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by SWAN808 View Post
the way the hardware clouts then releases the sound and packages all the frequencies together into a solid mass - is something I have not heard a plugin do yet (invariably it sounds 'like it' but doesnt hold it together esp low freq)... so I am curious about this emulation considering people are saying nice things about it...



EDIT: this demo suggests to me it is the normal situation. The UAD plugin sounds very close to the original hardware, but lacking in the low end punch of the hardware.

I think Slate (and team) have some awareness of the common lacking of low end punch of software and they code/devise a way to add this in to their models, and you can hear in the demo the transients are a bit more aggressive. the same this is apparent when you compare his FG-Grey with other SSL emulations. I think its a good attempt and improves on plugin models, however this process is perhaps a little simplistic and the transient can sound a bit plastic and exaggerated (presumably from some low end saturation or something)...whereas hardware doesn't have this fake quality...quite a subtle detail tho...

True, you can definitely tell that slate emus have been 'fkd with' for want of a better term (yet I use FG-Grey, blue 1176s, VTM etc here and like them). He does seem to tweak them to get around plug-ins drawbacks but sometimes it takes it quite far from what it's emulating (when pushed).

Here I prefer the hardware in this video, I'd put slate and UAD as joint runners up even if the UAD sounds closer to the hardware it has the unfortunate flattening effect, lacking bottom, less 3D, transients and groove have gone vs the hardware. Meanwhile slate (at least how its set here) is so OTT vs the hardware settings that it's hard to compare them meaningfully only to say the slate sounds overdone here and the hardware sounds 'perfect', transients, depth, width, 3D, smooth. I think with tweaks you could get the slate closer to the hardware and it definitely has some vibe/mojo, while the UAD version sounds like a flat photograph of the hardware, like old plugs used to? Obviously very close tonally but not so close in smoothness, depth or transient response/handling. Switching between hardware to the UAD makes my body stop responding to the groove, it sounds constrained.

Listening to the rest of the video (other than just drums) on Vox and Bass too I can hear the UAD is simply flatter and pinched, small. The slate honestly sounds better overall here to me. More lively, more 3D, more mojo, more like the hardware but off in the settings and tonally different but dynamically similar. UAD is tonally similar but dynamically lacking. No horses in this race so just my honest opinion. I'd take the slate over the UAD after hearing this. Because for compression, dynamics and openess are more important (just) than 'tone' which you can get elsewhere with eq or saturation. Without lively dynamics you have yet another flat, boring digital mush plug...

Both have one thing in common though, both are held hostage or to ransom (one to a stupid cheap as sharc chips dongle sold at a ridiculous placebo price and the other to a virtual rack system that should be optional) - thank you Arouser for not having that issue!

And that guy in the video is wrong, you can also track through SLATE just fine. I track through his VMR Preamps, Blue 1176 and custom EQ on vocals just fine. zero latency and in Studio One using the new 'instant' monitoring/dropout protection it works perfectly. You don't need an Apollo for that.

Now I'm a big ELI Arouser user and honestly feel spoiled as, while it's NOT a 'pure distressor' clone I still feel it could get closer than those two other plugs to at least retaining the transients while also having mojo.

Also the extra options are killer on the Arouser!


and re the SSL bus comps, I use I.K Bus Comp and FG-Grey and find they act and work differently for different things. On Mix bus I'd probably prefer FG-Grey in a subtle mode, or even arouser (blended in parallel perhaps), but on drums the I.K seems to have less fakeness and more real sound (warts and all) for drums. So at least for now I'm using IK SSL bus comp on drum buss and FG-Grey on Mix bus (and Arouser sometimes in place or addition to either in small doses).

Last edited by Pro5; 5th December 2017 at 11:21 AM..
Old 5th December 2017
  #242
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pro5 View Post

Listening to the rest of the video (other than just drums) on Vox and Bass too I can hear the UAD is simply flatter and pinched, small. The slate honestly sounds better overall here to me.
I know what you mean, but check out this comparison test...you can see that the SLate in order to get close to the hardware in terms of punch-which I think is responsible for the 'mojo' you refer to, creates a larger transient...if you match by RMS it sounds impressive, but if you peak match (and I assume peaks will have to be controlled at 'some' stage down the line) - the UAD sounds better IMO...

https://www.gearslutz.com/board/12963318-post1.html

I recommended peak match settings here:

https://www.gearslutz.com/board/12973715-post41.html
Old 5th December 2017
  #243
Lives for gear
 
Pro5's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by SWAN808 View Post
I know what you mean, but check out this comparison test...you can see that the SLate in order to get close to the hardware in terms of punch-which I think is responsible for the 'mojo' you refer to, creates a larger transient...if you match by RMS it sounds impressive, but if you peak match (and I assume peaks will have to be controlled at 'some' stage down the line) - the UAD sounds better IMO...

https://www.gearslutz.com/board/12963318-post1.html

I recommended peak match settings here:

https://www.gearslutz.com/board/12973715-post41.html
TBH It was more about the hardware vs the UAD than the slate thing (which I don't use nor intend to buy as very happy with Arouser).

Slate's stuff can get a bit tricksy sometimes, you can hear stuff that's been added to try to help get that 'mojo' and sometimes it works sometimes not. As said I'm not too concerned about FG-Stress vs UAD's one cos I'll own neither but from that video and another comparision it's pretty clear that tonally the UAD and HARDWARE almost blend together (so meaning they are close) but dynamically (even ignoring the slate as I did when I formed this conclusion) going between hardware to the UAD = Flat, uninspiring, unemotional photograph (dynamically and feeling wise). Just doesn't seem to dance in the same way as the hardware (on the hardware the bottom end seems to stretch back into space very open and likeable), and the Arouser gets closer to that feeling even if it's different tonally and feature wise.
Old 5th December 2017
  #244
Lives for gear
 
Silver Sonya's Avatar
 

Another unnecessarily depressing GS thread
Old 5th December 2017
  #245
Lives for gear
 
ionian's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by Silver Sonya View Post
Another unnecessarily depressing GS thread
It would have been more clever if you said "Another unnecessarily distressing GS thread"
Old 5th December 2017
  #246
Motown legend
 
Bob Olhsson's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pro5 View Post
...I would hope Mr Derr didn't try even harder to help UAD make their plug a LOT better than Arouser...
I would hope Mr. Derr tries to make both just as good as is absolutely possible!
Old 7th December 2017
  #247
Gear Head
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by SWAN808 View Post
the way the hardware clouts then releases the sound and packages all the frequencies together into a solid mass - is something I have not heard a plugin do yet (invariably it sounds 'like it' but doesnt hold it together esp low freq)... so I am curious about this emulation considering people are saying nice things about it...



EDIT: this demo suggests to me it is the normal situation. The UAD plugin sounds very close to the original hardware, but lacking in the low end punch of the hardware.

I think Slate (and team) have some awareness of the common lacking of low end punch of software and they code/devise a way to add this in to their models, and you can hear in the demo the transients are a bit more aggressive. the same this is apparent when you compare his FG-Grey with other SSL emulations. I think its a good attempt and improves on plugin models, however this process is perhaps a little simplistic and the transient can sound a bit plastic and exaggerated (presumably from some low end saturation or something)...whereas hardware doesn't have this fake quality...quite a subtle detail tho...
I'm calling bullshat!!!Sorry but YouTube compression isn't ideal for listen to the difference int plugins. Neither is dry arse drums!!!UAD wins
Old 7th December 2017
  #248
Quote:
Originally Posted by freshstyle View Post
I'm calling bullshat!!!Sorry but YouTube compression isn't ideal for listen to the difference int plugins. Neither is dry arse drums!!!UAD wins
call it what you want but I got most of it right on this thread:

Distressor shootout! UAD/Slate/Analog hardware

UAD is good IMO when you match to RMS or similar...I still prefer the HW when it comes to sound.
Old 8th December 2017
  #249
Gear Head
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by SWAN808 View Post
call it what you want but I got most of it right on this thread:

Distressor shootout! UAD/Slate/Analog hardware

UAD is good IMO when you match to RMS or similar...I still prefer the HW when it comes to sound.
Uad plugins work really nice as a system, great to know the sound and meters are accurate!
Old 2 weeks ago
  #250
Lives for gear
 
Crazy4Jazz's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wonderbird View Post
This is by far the best emulation of the distresser up to date.

Have I tried it? No.
This is the best Distressor emulation I have tried.

Have I tried any others? No.

But seriously, it sounds really good.
Old 2 weeks ago
  #251
Lives for gear
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by SWAN808 View Post
call it what you want but I got most of it right on this thread:

Distressor shootout! UAD/Slate/Analog hardware

UAD is good IMO when you match to RMS or similar...I still prefer the HW when it comes to sound.

do you have the metric halo chanel strip to compare? it might be intresting
Old 2 weeks ago
  #252
Gear Addict
 
leckel1996's Avatar
I've tried Slate, SKnote, and Arousor. I've never used the hardware, but I will say the UAD Distressor is the easiest to set up and works the best in my mixes. I'll be buying another DSP card just so I can use more instances. Haha
Old 1 week ago
  #253
Lives for gear
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fred_Abstract View Post
do you have the metric halo chanel strip to compare? it might be intresting
Metric Halo Channelstrip? Sorry for my ignorance, but what's the connection?
New Reply Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook  Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter  Submit Thread to LinkedIn LinkedIn  Submit Thread to Google+ Google+  Submit Thread to Reddit Reddit 
 
Topic:
Post Reply

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.


 
 
Slide to join now Processing…
Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Forum Jump
Forum Jump