The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Steinberg Releases Cubase 9.5 DAW Software
Old 6th December 2017
Gear Maniac

Don't waste your 'time' with 9. Cubase has reached its pinnacle with 8 as far as I see. Yeah, you do have to watch the amount of plugs using Windows or you will crash no doubt. All in all CB is still tops for me as my DAW. The midi editing is light years ahead of the pack. Audio editing has never been easier even since the days of CB 5. When Cubase switched to 64bit, that's about the only thing that was completely necessary as far as an upgrade is concerned to me. Nowadays all of these manufacturers are still trying to add all of this bloatware to make there DAWS do everything and anything besides improving the sound engine to make it sound noteworthy. Again, I don't need all of this crap in my DAW and the sampler track is quite a laugh actually. I switched back to 8.5 because it's ROCK-SOLID! Now all that all of us need to do is record a Hit! And that doesn't matter if you are using an older version or the latest version that includes a secret compartment that can cook your hotdogs with its Oscillators, and cut a T-Bone Steak with its 6 Super Sawtooth waveforms simultaneously!! Just make me some music, please.
Old 6th December 2017
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by roaringwave View Post
snip
Old 6th January 2018
Gear Head

hi
there is a little problem with the audio recording
after recording the voice , i heard 2 weird things
first , real silence before singing
then when i sing it doesn"t record the beginning of the voice , and in the end i hear a buzz , not very pleasant...

and again silence before the next sentence of my text
the silence is not an issue but the buzz at the end of the voice is really annoying

the audio extract is here (it's french song, so don"t laught please , i know we ,french musicians, always suck compare to you.. )

http://showsanddjs.fr/hfr/irak.mp3
Old 7th January 2018
Gear Nut

Darkmaster,
Is your asio buffer set too low by chance? Dropouts due that possibly?

Last edited by ChrisNunchuck; 7th January 2018 at 02:28 AM.. Reason: a
Old 7th January 2018
Gear Head

thanks for the answer
i set it to 256 and to check your answer , i set it to 512 , the noise is still present but less present , on the other hand like the first recording , the beginning of the sentence is cut , it's the first time i see that in a music software .
having paid 600$ and in the end having this kind of problem it's just a little annoying...
Old 7th January 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by darkmaster View Post
thanks for the answer
i set it to 256 and to check your answer , i set it to 512 , the noise is still present but less present , on the other hand like the first recording , the beginning of the sentence is cut , it's the first time i see that in a music software .
having paid 600$ and in the end having this kind of problem it's just a little annoying...
Bear in mind, it's NOT the $600 software that's the problem. I've used 20 years of Cubase iterations, from VST to SX to 5,6,7,8,9. There is an issue, yes; but it's to do with your set up, not Cubase itself.

What soundcard and drivers are you using? What other electronics are near by?
Old 7th January 2018
Gear Head

my soundcard is a fireface 400
preamp ua solo 610 and a blue microphone kiwi
drivers are the drivers for my ff 400
i know maybe there is something wrong with the config of cubase , but i've been using this software for years now , cubase 5 and nuendo 4.3 and i never saw a thing like this .

matter of fact i don't know where to go to fix this issue , it seems that there is a plugin that is doing something when i'm recording , and when i check in cubase , there is no such thing ; simple recording , period..

i'm waiting for 2 great preamps ; the neve shelford and the ua 6176 , hope it's gonna do something , but i doubt it..
Old 7th January 2018
Gear Head

finally i found the problem ; with this version of cubase an insert is automatically put ; the vstdynamic, i don't what that is : maybe a noise gate ; but when i bypass it , then i can hear my voice with no problems whatsoever.
on the other hand the noise rrrrrr is still present , but i hope with my new hardware will fix that
Old 8th January 2018
Gear Addict
Hi.. I'm having a problem with a particular project where I suddenly can't add any more plugins.....

I'm using Cubase 9.5.10 on PC
Windows 7 x64bit
Antelope Audio Zen Studio
UAD 2 - Solo PCI card
MSI x99 board
Intel i7 5820k
32 gigs ram
512 SSD hard drive

My problem really is that the project that i'm currently working on isn't maxed out at all and the CPU & Ram readings in Task manager is very low
The CPU Reads about 25% usage
The Ram Reads about 10gigs usage -- (as stated above, I have 32gigs of ram)
The CPU meter in the project reads between 60-80% usage on this track
(The thing is, i've had it higher on other projects and didn't have this issue at all, as this is the first time i'm having this problem)

The video below is not Mine, however, it perfectly shows and highlights the problem that i'm having on my particular track...

If anyone has experienced this and/or has a fix for it please let me know as it's keeping back the continued production on this song..
YouTube
Old 8th January 2018
Gear Maniac

Does this mean you can record using external audio interfaces with 64-bit ? but what audio Interface device Will allow you to set it to 64-bit? I thought we can only Record using external audio interfaces at 24 bit.
Old 8th January 2018
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by mustream View Post
Hi.. I'm having a problem with a particular project where I suddenly can't add any more plugins.....

I'm using Cubase 9.5.10 on PC
Windows 7 x64bit
Antelope Audio Zen Studio
UAD 2 - Solo PCI card
MSI x99 board
Intel i7 5820k
32 gigs ram
512 SSD hard drive

My problem really is that the project that i'm currently working on isn't maxed out at all and the CPU & Ram readings in Task manager is very low
The CPU Reads about 25% usage
The Ram Reads about 10gigs usage -- (as stated above, I have 32gigs of ram)
The CPU meter in the project reads between 60-80% usage on this track
(The thing is, i've had it higher on other projects and didn't have this issue at all, as this is the first time i'm having this problem)

The video below is not Mine, however, it perfectly shows and highlights the problem that i'm having on my particular track...

If anyone has experienced this and/or has a fix for it please let me know as it's keeping back the continued production on this song..
YouTube
It sounds like you have reached the DLL limit. This is a known problem. It isn't specific to any particular DAW. It is a Windows problem unfortunately.

Alistair
Old 8th January 2018
Gear Addict
Quote:
Originally Posted by UnderTow View Post
It sounds like you have reached the DLL limit. This is a known problem. It isn't specific to any particular DAW. It is a Windows problem unfortunately.

Alistair
hmm.... It's strange to me because i've had projects with alot more plugins on it though...

That's why it's baffling..
Old 8th January 2018
Gear Guru

Quote:
hmm.... It's strange to me because i've had projects with alot more plugins on it though...

If you use many instances of the same plugin, that counts as 1 DLL. Every different plugin counts as a separate DLL. Could that explain the larger projects not having any issues?

Alistair
Old 8th January 2018
Gear Addict
Question

Quote:
If you use many instances of the same plugin, that counts as 1 DLL. Every different plugin counts as a separate DLL. Could that explain the larger projects not having any issues?

Alistair
Interesting that you mention that.... Cause in this project, i used a console & Bus type plugin on all my audio tracks that consists of Lead & Backup Vocals, also on VI's & Group Tracks.. So to be honest, the overall plugin count was alot less,(because of the console plugins made things easier and needed less other stuff) however, the console plugin i used was on every track and the Bus plugin were on the Busses...

Now, the thing is, this is only the third song that i'm doing this type of "template" on..... The first two projects didn't have any problems, only this third one... and the plugin count on average between the three songs are similar...

sigh

So that's why it's confusing to me...
Old 8th January 2018
Gear Guru

Quote:
Interesting that you mention that.... Cause in this project, i used a console & Bus type plugin on all my audio tracks that consists of Lead & Backup Vocals, also on VI's & Group Tracks.. So to be honest, the overall plugin count was alot less,(because of the console plugins made things easier and needed less other stuff) however, the console plugin i used was on every track and the Bus plugin were on the Busses...

Now, the thing is, this is only the third song that i'm doing this type of "template" on..... The first two projects didn't have any problems, only this third one... and the plugin count on average between the three songs are similar...

sigh

Hmm... I understand the confusion.

Sorry I can't help more.

Alistair
Old 8th January 2018
Gear Addict
Quote:
Hmm... I understand the confusion.

Sorry I can't help more.

Alistair
Thanks for replying though..
Old 8th January 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:

Some plugs use multiple dll while others may only use a single dll so there is no specific number of plugins to the limit. It could vary by quite a lot if different plugs are used. Dunno if you have UAD but these are the worst culprits from all accounts.

Try to load a plug that is already in the project. If this loads OK but a new plug does not then it confirms this is the problem.

Things will improve when Steinberg switch to dynamic linking which they are working on now.
Old 9th January 2018
Gear Nut

Cubase 9.5 seems to have this problem worst than previous versions of cubase as well. Use the built in EQ and channel strip where you can to save dll resources.
Old 9th January 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
the plugin count on average between the three songs are similar...

sigh

"Similar" doesn't cut it, unfortunately. There is a hard limit of unique dlls that can be loaded. If the first two happened to be right at the limit, and you try to load even ONE more dll then ... you won't be able to.

It's not something you can guesstimate. Write down EXACTLY the number of unique plug-ins that are used on each one. Stock plug-ins don't count, as they don't require the DAW to load the C++ library (I think it is) that each 3rd party plug-in instantiates.
Old 9th January 2018
kdm
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by stella645 View Post
Things will improve when Steinberg switch to dynamic linking which they are working on now.
This is an artificial limit imposed by Microsoft for unknown reasons. There isn't really anything Steinberg can do.

Plugin developers are the ones need to move to dynamic linking so we can squeeze the most out of the FLS limit. Steinberg already uses dynamic linking and will do what they can, but most of the limit will show up when loading plugins.

The problem is plugin developers who use static linking - i.e. they load a static C runtime library reference for each instance instead of dynamically linking one time. For sure, this is a serious issue for Windows users as it basically turns Windows into a DSP-limited system - faster CPUs won't buy you more FLS slots. There are only 128, unless Microsoft decides to change it. My guess is this limit was imposed to avoid another potential problem in Windows 10, so I wouldn't hold my breath for a change.

For now, the only workaround is to use plugins with dynamic linking so you don't pay again for each instance. Plugins that are statically linked will limit how many plugins you can run.

Decades of progress in native processing, and leave it to Microsoft to put a 1990's era limit on it.....sigh.

Last edited by kdm; 21st February 2018 at 01:21 AM.. Reason: removed incorrect info
Old 9th January 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by kdm View Post
Steinberg already uses dynamic linking and will do what they can, but most of the limit will show up when loading plugins.
Comparing C9 to Reaper I can load twice the number of unique effects.....that for me says there is something more that Steinberg could do that they haven't done.
Old 9th January 2018
kdm
Lives for gear
Quote:
Comparing C9 to Reaper I can load twice the number of unique effects.....that for me says there is something more that Steinberg could do that they haven't done.
Very interesting. It does seem that Steinberg needs to adapt Cubase where it can (though I am going on some direct information). Afaik, Cubase does use linked libraries for other components so this problem isn't limit to plugins. Reaper's performance is significantly more efficient than Cubase in other areas as well, so no doubt, Cubase could use some improvement.

When I have time I might compare FLS use in Cubase 9.5/Nuendo 8 to DP9 and ProTools 12HD. Could be interesting.
Old 9th January 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Not a reply to you stella just a general response for the subject.

Also when comparing other versions of cubase to newer versions I have seen drastically different results.
My theory is that Cubase keeps adding build in components which occupy a dll slot - therefor lowering the plugin limit.

Another strange detail is that some users have reported (including me) that reducing the undo limit (in preferences) can increase the number of plugins, some.

[spoiler]And as an option to try (backup to test) I have deleted several .dll from Cubase/components folder, which I believe are loaded automatically. So far no issues after removing a select few of them.[/spoiler]
Old 12th January 2018
Lives for gear
Anybody using Novation Remote SL with the supposedly updated, cubase 9 compatible automap? Mixer template with different pages seems to work ok but can't really get other modes going at all. Learn not functioning(lighting up) in usr/instr/fx mode.

Cubase also isn't recognized in the automap server app, reason for example is.
Old 12th January 2018
Gear Nut
We had the plugin limit problem over in Studio One 3, on Windows, too - although Presonus did end up sending out a maintenance update that extended the limit significantly (since which I have never had the problem again) - thread here with full explanation from Presonus on why the problem occurs on Windows. Hopefully Steinberg can do something similar.

Studio One V2 Plugin Ram Limit Weird Win7 64
Old 13th January 2018
Lives for gear

Maybe experienced Cubase users can chime in. I recently came over to Cubase because of Sonar's demise. I do like it so far but I notice that the same project in Sonar, max's the CPU in Cubase and it's not a lot. 12 tracks, about 2 or 3 plugins on each track. 6 plugins or so on master. The weird audio performance meter shows maxed out average and barely moving real-time. I say weird because Sonar's meter made more sense to me. Anyway with the meter in this state, one more plugin started drop out and crackle. This is on Win 10, x64 3930K, Cubase 9.5.1.
Old 13th January 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by wakestyle View Post

[spoiler]And as an option to try (backup to test) I have deleted several .dll from Cubase/components folder, which I believe are loaded automatically. So far no issues after removing a select few of them.[/spoiler]
There's a thread somewhere where Steinberg themselves suggested the same thing. I think their 'vstconnect' is one where, if you never do remote sessions, yiu can just move the component out of that folder. There were a couple others that most people wouldn't use. But it still only gets you 2 or 3 extra slots, where really we need twice as many, or even three times.

That this has been dragging on for at least a few years now is pretty poor. Maybe the sector of Cubase users on Windows platform isn't large enough to warrant the effort to fix it. If a ProTools release had this issue, Avid would be risking its entire customer base!

As I vaguely understand it, the solution may require the 3rd party devs to change their ways. I think that dynamically linked C++ libraries may be slightly trickier from a plug-in install or dev perspective (the plug-ins would be relying on a C++ library being in a certain place on the user's system) so they all got used to doing it this way; only when PCs got powerful enough to, theoretically, load 100+ 3rd party plugs, did anyone become aware of the Windows limitation as being an actual barrier, rather than some obscure techcnical ceiling.
Old 14th January 2018
Gear Head
Quote:
Originally Posted by Taurean View Post
Maybe experienced Cubase users can chime in. I recently came over to Cubase because of Sonar's demise. I do like it so far but I notice that the same project in Sonar, max's the CPU in Cubase and it's not a lot. 12 tracks, about 2 or 3 plugins on each track. 6 plugins or so on master. The weird audio performance meter shows maxed out average and barely moving real-time. I say weird because Sonar's meter made more sense to me. Anyway with the meter in this state, one more plugin started drop out and crackle. This is on Win 10, x64 3930K, Cubase 9.5.1.
Wrong thread, but:
What "soundcard" are you using?
Did you told cubase you are using this? (did you select the correct Asiodriver of the "soundcard")
What are youre buffer size settings? (have you tried to change these)
Whats the state of the Asioguard in audio settings? (have you tried to change these)
You should find out these things, and tell us more about it.
Maybe in a new thread.
Then we can maybe try to help.
Old 14th January 2018
I love Cubase 9.5 but half the time when loading it freezes when it says VST Mixer on the screen. Tech support told me what to do, it fixed it but then the problem came back.

Windows 10, Intel I7
Old 14th January 2018
Gear Head
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason rocks View Post
I love Cubase 9.5 but half the time when loading it freezes when it says VST Mixer on the screen. Tech support told me what to do, it fixed it but then the problem came back.

Windows 10, Intel I7
Hi Jason rocks,
I love Cubase too, and i don't have the problem loading.
The only wise awnser one can give to your question with all your information is, "do the trick, tech support told you to do", again
But after that, don't do what you did last time, before it broke.
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search