The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Black Rooster Audio releases the VPRE-73 Saturation Plugins
Old 4th December 2017
  #301
Lives for gear
 
cprompt's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ELTee View Post
If GUI colors or knobs are obstructing your workflow I can almost guarantee that your work is garbage
I've grown to like the colors and knobs, but I can guarantee that my work is garbage regardless!
Old 5th December 2017
  #302
Here for the gear
 

Why everyone says it's pink? It's not pink, it's purple! You don't know what purple is? Read here:

Quote:
According to surveys in Europe and the U.S., purple is the color most often associated with royalty, magic, mystery and piety. When combined with pink, it is associated with eroticism, femininity and seduction.

Purple was the color worn by Roman magistrates; it became the imperial color worn by the rulers of the Byzantine Empire and the Holy Roman Empire, and later by Roman Catholic bishops. Similarly in Japan, the color is traditionally associated with the Emperor and aristocracy.
Also, do a Google search. Auto fill options that show up are: purple rain, purple haze, purple kush, Deep Purple. At least some of those are music-related, no? Also, there was a thing called "Monterey Purple". Any bells ringing? All those psy and prog rock musicians in the 70-s used what preamps/EQs?

Just educate yourselves a bit, BEFORE bitching, please!
Old 5th December 2017
  #303
Gear Maniac
 
Rentzen's Avatar
Colors Colors Colors


Last edited by Rentzen; 5th December 2017 at 02:26 PM..
Old 5th December 2017
  #304
Lives for gear
 
boody's Avatar
 

Old 5th December 2017
  #305
Gear Nut
 
vze26m98's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by toothnclaw View Post
Why everyone says it's pink? It's not pink, it's purple! You don't know what purple is?
I was pretty clear pink was a metaphor, not an analytical term, as used in this thread.
Old 5th December 2017
  #306
Gear Nut
 

Dear God! what next....orange amps? silver drumkits? blue compressors?
Old 5th December 2017
  #307
Gear Maniac
Quote:
Originally Posted by vze26m98 View Post
I was pretty clear pink was a metaphor, not an analytical term, as used in this thread.
What on earth did you try to say with this post?
Old 5th December 2017
  #308
Gear Nut
 
vze26m98's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jens L. View Post
What on earth did you try to say with this post?
Hi Jens-
I have to believe that most folks can muster the correct names for the primary and secondary colors. (Magenta anyone?) That said, tagging the plug as “pink” has a perjorative intent; it’s a rhetorical device that probably has a Greek name, but I’m too lazy to go look that up.

It’s often said in English that we’re “green with envy.” Complaining about a color mismatch in that instance misses the point.

But enough, let’s get back to the sound of the excellent Black Rooster plugin!
Old 5th December 2017
  #309
Here for the gear
 

Cant we talk about the sound and its uses? Too much complaints about the color. No one even bothered telling that this is awesome on background vocals.
Old 6th December 2017
  #310
Gear Nut
 
Digital Crush's Avatar
Another couple of pages about the GUI issue and it's gonna start a civil war
Old 6th December 2017
  #311
Lives for gear
 
bitman's Avatar
It's pinky/purple. Are we done?
Old 6th December 2017
  #312
Gear Nut
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by bitman View Post
It's pinky/purple. Are we done?
Oh! no its not! its cerisey/ mauve.
Old 6th December 2017
  #313
Lives for gear
 
Jeezo's Avatar
It s so H town ... to be used on screwed mixes ...
Old 6th December 2017
  #314
Lives for gear
 
Zyzygis's Avatar
 

I personally like the colour it brings to my mixes.
Old 6th December 2017
  #315
Gear Maniac
 

It can't really be called one color at all, because there are so many ranges of pink and purple in the texture.

Name that Color - Chirag Mehta : chir.ag describes the main colors of VPRE-73 as...

CANNON PINK
and
VIVID VIOLET.

So there you go.
Old 6th December 2017
  #316
Gear Head
 

I can be a little heavy handed with my processing some times, but something I've found I like on my vocals is to run them through Slate's VMR to set level with Trim and mic selection through VMS, then into Waves DeEsser for some heavy sibilance taming, then into VPRE with around 60-65 gain and the high shelf between 6:00-9:00 (usually not all the way to 9:00, but always end up somewhere in the middle of that range), wherever it gets that proper sheen without becoming harsh. And then level matching with Trim knob, of course. I usually use the HP at this stage too, though more EQ down the line might be needed. But overall the tone coming out of just this is a great starting place.
Old 7th December 2017
  #317
Lives for gear
This is a great sounding little plugin. In my quick testes it became apparent really quickly how good it sounds and how quickly great results can be achieved. It's also surprisingly versatile, despite not having too many options. It's a great addition to Kush 458A. In fact, with some care, both can be used at the same time to create a very juicy, 'glowing' sound. I had both used in series (Vpre75 ->458A) with AA Titanium on the drum bus and the sound was just glorious. Instant buy!

I love the colour scheme as well. :D

(Although, If I may provide some constructive criticism, those little social media icons in the bottom right corner are off putting, they just stand out so much....I'd hate it if I were to click one by mistake and cause the browser to open on Facebook or some such...not nice).
Old 7th December 2017
  #318
Lives for gear
 
BM Grabber's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by himalaya View Post
(Although, If I may provide some constructive criticism, those little social media icons in the bottom right corner are off putting, they just stand out so much....I'd hate it if I were to click one by mistake and cause the browser to open on Facebook or some such...not nice).
I repeat myself from top of page 5 in this thread:

I HATE all those social media icons on the front panel...... Should have been hidden in the option/settings menu..... It looks "amateurish" IMO.

The pink color and the sound is great though

@ Black Rooster - Is this something you consider changing?

PS. I really don't need "social media pimping" while mixing....
Old 7th December 2017
  #319
Lives for gear
 
b0se's Avatar
Have to agree.

Colour? No issues at all.

Links and whatnot? Not a fan.
@BlackRooster - please consider removing them for customers.

They should be disabled/removed once you register the plugin. No need to advertise to those who have invested in you. It cheapens the UI/brand.
Old 7th December 2017
  #320
Gear Head
 

Do you folks find that you use radically different settings on different sources? My point is, whenever I instantiate this, I run the gain up around 60, bring down the trim, then play with the high shelf until it's as bright/subdued as I would like. My point being, have you found any sources where, say, gain at 20 sounds ideal? Maybe I don't have an ear for subtlety, and just curious about some other use cases I may not have considered... LOL
Old 7th December 2017
  #321
Geariophile
 
Karloff70's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by BM Grabber View Post

PS. I really don't need "social media pimping" while mixing....
Me neither.
Old 7th December 2017
  #322
Lives for gear
 
JulenJVM's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karloff70 View Post
Me neither.
Ditto. It feels awkward to see social media icons inside the DAW, it was one of the few "virgin" territories left. Now the invasion has begun, I´d like a switch to turn that off, pretty please!
Old 7th December 2017
  #323
Lives for gear
 
bitman's Avatar
Me neither either
Old 7th December 2017
  #324
Lives for gear
 
Jerrick's Avatar
 

Couldn't care about the icons. I don't even notice them when I throw the plugin up.

Sounding good on vocals. Getting just a bit of color with low gain, and the highend gets the vocals in the ballpark real quick. Got some nice wooly distortion on some background vocals with the gain cranked all the way up. And then keeping those vocals way back in the mix worked out nicely.

Haven't tried it on anything else yet haha. I feel like this thing would really shine on snares.
Old 7th December 2017
  #325
Lives for gear
 
mljung's Avatar
I do care, I truly believe facebook is occupying to much of the time people spend here on this fantastic planet - it shouldn't be advertised on a fine plugin such as this

::
Mads
Old 7th December 2017
  #326
Gear Addict
Quote:
Originally Posted by mljung View Post
I do care, I truly believe facebook is occupying to much of the time people spend here on this fantastic planet - it shouldn't be advertised on a fine plugin such as this

::
Mads
Facebook is waaaaaay to present in daily life. I wish social media wasn' t such a busy used medium, people would actually pay more attention to real live people. Some people would experience life much more intense, and less lonely. So for me... get rid of it yes, Facebook don't interfere (as much) with my life. I'm still -40 though...
Old 7th December 2017
  #327
Gear Head
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by possible pasts View Post
C'mon now Black Rooster, throw away that pink garbage and make "classic 73" a default skin! It's just better, admit it. Admit it!

BTW, very well done, Sergio!
I like the pink look..I think they should keep it.
Old 7th December 2017
  #328
Gear Head
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by BM Grabber View Post
I repeat myself from top of page 5 in this thread:

I HATE all those social media icons on the front panel...... Should have been hidden in the option/settings menu..... It looks "amateurish" IMO.

The pink color and the sound is great though

@ Black Rooster - Is this something you consider changing?

PS. I really don't need "social media pimping" while mixing....

Quote:
Originally Posted by b0se View Post
Have to agree.

Colour? No issues at all.

Links and whatnot? Not a fan.
@BlackRooster - please consider removing them for customers.

They should be disabled/removed once you register the plugin. No need to advertise to those who have invested in you. It cheapens the UI/brand.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karloff70 View Post
Me neither.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JulenJVM View Post
Ditto. It feels awkward to see social media icons inside the DAW, it was one of the few "virgin" territories left. Now the invasion has begun, I´d like a switch to turn that off, pretty please!

Quote:
Originally Posted by bitman View Post
Me neither either

Quote:
Originally Posted by mljung View Post
I do care, I truly believe facebook is occupying to much of the time people spend here on this fantastic planet - it shouldn't be advertised on a fine plugin such as this

::
Mads

Quote:
Originally Posted by BVDL View Post
Facebook is waaaaaay to present in daily life. I wish social media wasn' t such a busy used medium, people would actually pay more attention to real live people. Some people would experience life much more intense, and less lonely. So for me... get rid of it yes, Facebook don't interfere (as much) with my life. I'm still -40 though...
+ 1 billion...Black Rooster Get rid of the Facebook social media stuff...the entire planet knows that you can simply look online yourself if we need to see what a certain developer is up to.

Soon people will start having full advertising banners flashing on there plugins ..thanks for the plugin but not thanks on the Facebook icon etc... .

*P.S* Bought it.
Old 8th December 2017
  #329
If they don't affect the performance of the plugin, put all the social media you want, I don't care. Sound and performance are the only things I care about, and they are covered really well in your plugins

ps: I think social media stuff is great because in case you have any kind of issue or question about the plugin you have just in front of you where to contact the developer.

Last edited by heraldo_jones; 8th December 2017 at 10:28 AM..
Old 8th December 2017
  #330
Gear Head
 

Bought the plugin. Sounds great. Don't care for the color or social media stuff. Looks unprofessional in my opinion but it doesn't stop me from using it.
Would pay another $20 to have another skin and get rid of the social media icons though.
New Reply Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook  Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter  Submit Thread to LinkedIn LinkedIn  Submit Thread to Google+ Google+  Submit Thread to Reddit Reddit 
 
Topic:
Post Reply

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.


 
 
Slide to join now Processing…
Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Forum Jump
Forum Jump