The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Sonimus releases StonEQ 4k Satson series Equalizer Equalizer Plugins
Old 15th November 2017
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by toothnclaw View Post
Intro offer ends when?
It will be announced when we announce the release of the new version. I think it will last until the end of that day.
Old 16th November 2017
Lives for gear

Have not tried this yet , but just looking at the new GUI , wouldn't it be
better if the top filter knob was for LP , and the lower filter knob was for HP ?

Feels dyslexic to me in comparison to the main eq layout.

Also , and not so important , but shouldn't both bell toggle switch lights be on the right of the toggle switch ...
like it is with the bottom light ?
Then again , maybe this is symmetrically great as is ... not sure.

Is this CPU heavy ?

Looking forward to demoing this ... wonder how it compares to the now historic Overtone DSP 4000EQ.
Old 16th November 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by stealthbalance View Post
Have not tried this yet , but just looking at the new GUI , wouldn't it be
better if the top filter knob was for LP , and the lower filter knob was for HP ?

Feels dyslexic to me in comparison to the main eq layout.

Also , and not so important , but shouldn't both bell toggle switch lights be on the right of the toggle switch ...
like it is with the bottom light ?
Then again , maybe this is symmetrically great as is ... not sure.

Is this CPU heavy ?

Looking forward to demoing this ... wonder how it compares to the now historic Overtone DSP 4000EQ.
Yep.... The Filters should be the other way around: Top filter knob should be for Low Pass and the lower filter knob should be for High Pass.

And yes, IMO the toggle switch lights should all be on the same side, to the right.

Nitpicking, I know... But when we are at it: It would also be nice to have the BELL label in the on position (even though you then have to move the knob position a bit).

PS. If nothing else, this GUI attention most likely have been a very valuable lesson/experience for Sonimus, for upcoming projects.

All that said, I love the Sonimus plugins.
I have'em all, with the Burnley as my personal fav of all Neve 1073'ish plugins out there. I will most likely buy this as well.... Keep up the good work Sonimus
Old 16th November 2017
Gear Nut

"When giving people a hand, get ready to have your arm pulled" French philosopher Jean Pierre Papan
Old 16th November 2017
Lives for gear

I'm not sure about the name of the company.... Sonimus. I don't know.
Old 16th November 2017
Gear Maniac

Haha
Old 16th November 2017
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by SameOh View Post
I'm not sure about the name of the company.... Sonimus. I don't know.
Old 16th November 2017
Lives for gear

When we're first at it...
Old 18th November 2017
Gear Head

Quick general question about this one.

In your opinion, why would someone want to use an EQ like this one over something like SonEQ Pro (which I own) or a parametric EQ like ReaEQ or TB Equalizer for example? I know it's all a matter of personal preference but I'm just trying to get an idea for the different use cases, like if you prefer to use it one instrument but not the other for example. Any info would be helpful.
Old 18th November 2017
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by deathbyguitar View Post
Quick general question about this one.

In your opinion, why would someone want to use an EQ like this one over something like SonEQ Pro (which I own) or a parametric EQ like ReaEQ or TB Equalizer for example? I know it's all a matter of personal preference but I'm just trying to get an idea for the different use cases, like if you prefer to use it one instrument but not the other for example. Any info would be helpful.
Both Soneq and Stone provide some analog warmth albeit different. To my understanding ReaEQ does not. As a result, whether it be boost or cut I would most likely use StoneEQ or Soneq first in line to get the added benefit of this.
From there if I need more eq I would reach for something more neutral/transparent like ReaEQ.
Additionally, StoneEQ most likely wont be able to get as narrow a bandwidth (Q) of those digital like ReEq and ProQ2 so it wont be as surgical.

Truly the real benefit of this equalizer is the added bit of analog character via drive which is versatile enough to be used on anything. The shape of the curves of StoneEQ are designed in such a way that they also provide character when boosting specifically. Really nice to just poke an interesting frequency range out.

Eqs like ReaEQ imo are fine and can do the same just more neutral so if you recorded using preamps, eqs and or compressors before going into your DAW than that will suffice. Trying boosting with StoneEq and find something interesting, then try boosting the same frequency range with ReaEQ. Should help give an idea.

In short...

ReaEQ - neutral/transparent
StoneEq - a bit of harware mojo or alot depending on drive knob, with versatile filters with character.
Old 18th November 2017
Lives for gear

I find Son EQ kinda difficult to use but it never sounds bad, if that makes any sense

The low shelf on it is something else, it's almost nicer than the UA Pultec in some scenarios
Old 18th November 2017
Jus
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diego Sonimus View Post
What do you think?
Option E
Now we are talking.
Old 19th November 2017
My dear sirs at Sonimus,

Please consider adding a resizable GUI or at least a selection of 2-3 sizes to help the plugin stay fit on all resolutions around.

Congratulations on the release!
Old 21st November 2017
Here for the gear

Couple of questions/requests,
-When turning drive to zero, does this also result in reduced cpu usage? In the demo it's a marginal difference.
-Can we get a x2 option or headroom slider for the drive, like in the britson. I tend to work at -18dbfs VU, and on occasion the default max drive is just not enough.
-Where's the phase flip? Can we get one?
-An option to turn individual eq bands on/off for a/b purposes.

If the above points are being adressed, than this eq will easily become my default channel strip, and I have been searching for about 1,5 years now.
Otherwise very good sounding eq, love the broad q option, makes It very versatile.
Old 21st November 2017
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by garry_spectrum View Post
My dear sirs at Sonimus,

Please consider adding a resizable GUI or at least a selection of 2-3 sizes to help the plugin stay fit on all resolutions around.

Congratulations on the release!
A BIG +1 on this! It's really tiny looking. Great eq soundwise though
Old 21st November 2017
Here for the gear
New GUI is ready for download!
Old 21st November 2017
News Desk Editor

Sonimus releases StonEQ 4k Satson series Equalizer-gui101.jpg
Sonimus updates StonEQ 4k.

Changelog:

* Changed the GUI perspective.
* Fixed preset installation
* Reduced installer size
* Minor bugs fixes
* Reduced memory usage

Available at:
Attached Thumbnails
Sonimus releases StonEQ 4k Satson series Equalizer-gui101.jpg  
Old 21st November 2017
Gear Addict

This company ROCKS!
Old 21st November 2017
Lives for gear

Intro price ends tomorrow.

Quote:
Regular price: $ 59
Introductory price: $ 49

Sale ends Tomorrow: November 22th, 2017: at 24 PST
rsp
Old 21st November 2017
Gear Head

We really appreciate everyone’s feedback. From Sonimus, we really hope the new improvements are well-liked.
Cheers!
Old 21st November 2017
Lives for gear

Hi is it fair to assume (if you can comment) that this price will be the lowest price even during Black Friday/Cyber Monday sale? (assuming you will have one)
Old 21st November 2017
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by zvenx View Post
Hi is it fair to assume (if you can comment) that this price will be the lowest price even during Black Friday/Cyber Monday sale? (assuming you will have one)
Considering they just came out with the plugin, no way in hell it's gonna be lower than 49 bucks anytime soon. Go ahead and buy it now
Old 21st November 2017
Gear Addict

I'm hoping for a Black Friday Sonimus All Plugins Deal
Old 24th November 2017
Lives for gear

As promised, I purchased the plugin and wrote a post about your interactions here:

That should reach a good number of people (few thousand a month).

Great job sonimus.
Old 7th December 2017
Lives for gear
Im loving this eq more everyday. One of the best over all value release this year! At least for my needs.

I would like to request an additional function to be added to "ALT" click that would be extremely helpful. Would it be possible to add the function to not only return to the default setting when "ALT" is clicked but also if "Alt" clicked again it will return to the prior chosen knob position? That way I can A/B settings per band knob without having to implement a true per band bypass.
Old 11th December 2017
Lives for gear

So, any other thoughts and comments on this one? Do you guys use it, love it?
Old 11th December 2017
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by FoxMulderFBI View Post
Absolutely love it! Use it everyday. I mostly use hardware and Acustica plugins but for subtractive work this eq is brilliant! Haven't done too much boosting though, not because it isnt good I just haven't found the opportunity.
Old 11th December 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by FoxMulderFBI View Post
So, I am not usually a fan of these types of EQ emulations (despite learning on a 4k)... but I've been using StonEQ 4K quite a bit since I purchased it.

I'm not going to say that it's a game changer or some drastic new frontier in digital audio, but it is really useful.

A really fun trick I like using with it is throwing 2 StonEQ's on a track, particularly bassy instruments (rock bass guitar is awesome for this). First one has a strong boost around ~400hz with a fairly wide band, and the drive turned up a lot. Second one has the identical band setup with the gain inverted and no drive. Sounds amazing.
Old 12th December 2017
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert Randolph View Post
A really fun trick I like using with it is throwing 2 StonEQ's on a track, particularly bassy instruments (rock bass guitar is awesome for this). First one has a strong boost around ~400hz with a fairly wide band, and the drive turned up a lot. Second one has the identical band setup with the gain inverted and no drive. Sounds amazing.
Thanks !

That's a nice track... 4kPushPull

I'd say you'll need to find your freq by sweeping the range from 200<>700Hz.
And then apply the negative. it also works with electronic music.

I wonder if a MUXcript (a MUX macro...) could by built to represent the aforementioned settings...

Again, thanks
Old 12th December 2017
Lives for gear

Just tried demo, wow, I am impressed. Sounds very smooth and musical, drive can add a nice touch but its not overpowering anything. Aliasing is nonexistant so thats a plus as well!
New Reply Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook  Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter  Submit Thread to LinkedIn LinkedIn  Submit Thread to Google+ Google+  Submit Thread to Reddit Reddit 

Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search