The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Heritage Audio Elite Series
Old 4th January 2020 | Show parent
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 10 years
HA73EQX2..arriving today!

This will free up my 2264JR for comp only dutys! .. cant wait to compare the two preamps.. actually, does anyone know what transformers are in the 2264JR?..I cant seem to find that info anywhere .. anyway.. today's a good day!
Old 14th January 2020 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by RightOnRome View Post
HA73EQX2..arriving today!

This will free up my 2264JR for comp only dutys! .. cant wait to compare the two preamps.. actually, does anyone know what transformers are in the 2264JR?..I cant seem to find that info anywhere .. anyway.. today's a good day!
What’s the verdict?
Old 15th January 2020 | Show parent
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by dc_r View Post
What’s the verdict?
Ok..
-i have demoed bass through it.. DI ...vs great river ..I would have went with it but we had used the GR on the rest of the record ..it seemed warmer? but the GR sounds awesome, super deep
-Did LOUD country vocals ..when the record comes out i'll point it to you, sounded great..seems brighter or ...more revealing than other pre's ..def brighter then the 2264jr pre side ..I think..need more testing...
-Did Rap vocals and eq'd one of the mic's to match the other..seemed great
-tried a 8 ch summing box into the DI on the front..seemed cool but not better then ITB

I plan on re-racking it with a bunch of new patch bays..so I will be able to use it from all 3 of my rooms ..so then i can try on everything

build seems decent, the Red gain seems sticky on the positions ..hard to explain, I am used to the plastic grey nobs ..same as the 2264 ..dont like them,wish they were metal and firmer, indented would be nice for matching bth channels, the outer ring is my fav. that seems right 100%

It looks great! I would like to know why the price was dropped ..but i wouldn't hesitate to grab another
Old 15th January 2020 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Ok..
-i have demoed bass through it.. DI ...vs great river ..I would have went with it but we had used the GR on the rest of the record ..it seemed warmer? but the GR sounds awesome, super deep
-Did LOUD country vocals ..when the record comes out i'll point it to you, sounded great..seems brighter or ...more revealing than other pre's ..def brighter then the 2264jr pre side ..I think..need more testing...
-Did Rap vocals and eq'd one of the mic's to match the other..seemed great
-tried a 8 ch summing box into the DI on the front..seemed cool but not better then ITB

I plan on re-racking it with a bunch of new patch bays..so I will be able to use it from all 3 of my rooms ..so then i can try on everything

build seems decent, the Red gain seems sticky on the positions ..hard to explain, I am used to the plastic grey nobs ..same as the 2264 ..dont like them,wish they were metal and firmer, indented would be nice for matching bth channels, the outer ring is my fav. that seems right 100%

It looks great! I would like to know why the price was dropped ..but i wouldn't hesitate to grab another
Would you say that the Great River is much better?

And have you by any chance ever used Phoenix Audio DRS-2 EQ4? I am thinking of adding Heritage to compliment my two channels of Phoenix. Phoenix is already smooth and creamy so I am thinking that a bit cleaner and more forward Heritage could compliment it well. I am always looking for this forward sound on bass.
Old 16th January 2020 | Show parent
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by dc_r View Post
Would you say that the Great River is much better?

And have you by any chance ever used Phoenix Audio DRS-2 EQ4? I am thinking of adding Heritage to compliment my two channels of Phoenix. Phoenix is already smooth and creamy so I am thinking that a bit cleaner and more forward Heritage could compliment it well. I am always looking for this forward sound on bass.
the Heritage sounds awesome, so does the GR, but I think the Heritage might be more open sounding - and the price now is ridiculous for 2 channels and EQ ..but I need more time with both to really feel the difference ..
Old 30th January 2020
Gear Addict

🎧 10 years
Initially I really loved mine and I bought a second one.
But..... after a while I found some characteristics (at least to my ears) in it that I didn’t like, and I don’t know if these are related to the elite series design or just the way 1073s sound..
Eventually I found after getting to know it that the top end of the EQ and the shelf is really harsh sounding, and brittle.
Also the Mic pre on its own I found a bit.. not exciting.
So I went on a bit of a quest to see if I could improve them with a local boutique audio designer.

Swapped the switching power supply with a much more serious one, had all the wima caps replaced, had the Carnhill output transformers replaced with vintage ones, replaced the output transistor with a fully cased one..
And much much more..
Well I can say I learnt a lot about how components affect the sound of a circuit,
It’s sounding pretty cool now, miles
Beyond what it was.. but the harshness still remains slightly,
I’m curious to know whether anyone else thinks theirs is harsh sounding or if it’s just me?
Old 30th January 2020 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andysw View Post
But..... after a while I found some characteristics (at least to my ears) in it that I didn’t like, and I don’t know if these are related to the elite series design or just the way 1073s sound..
Eventually I found after getting to know it that the top end of the EQ and the shelf is really harsh sounding, and brittle.
So I went on a bit of a quest to see if I could improve them with a local boutique audio designer.

Swapped the switching power supply with a much more serious one, had all the wima caps replaced, had the Carnhill output transformers replaced with vintage ones, replaced the output transistor with a fully cased one..
And much much more..
Well I can say I learnt a lot about how components affect the sound of a circuit,
I’m curious to know whether anyone else thinks theirs is harsh sounding or if it’s just me?
This is a cool and valuable learning exercise no doubt, but how much cash did you dust to get to this point of realisation?
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 15 years
Hmmm. Well it could be the style of pre/EQ is just not to your taste?

I haven't tried the Elite's but I will say, in my experience, a little goes a long way with the 1073's top shelf.

Maybe you can try finding a 1073 in your area and seeing if your feelings are specific to the Elite or 1073's in general?

R.

Quote:

And much much more..
Gear Addict

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wiggy Neve Slut View Post
This is a cool and valuable learning exercise no doubt, but how much cash did you dust to get to this point of realisation?
Cheers Wiggy!

Well.... I don't identify as a Gearslut for nothing!
Some people might find this ridiculous but I spent about the cost of 1 of the units on modding both,
Ended up being slightly more just because of labour and time spent on it and purchasing expensive parts.

My original plan was, cap it at about 50% of the cost of 1 unit, otherwise if I threw in another $500 or so and I could afford to buy one of the hand wired units, so wouldn't be worth it,
But as we looked into it (and I say we, I mean my tech), the cost was more in the R&D & troubleshooting.

Of course, I wouldn't be a Gearslut if I wasn't curious to see if getting a a vintage 1073 or a hand wired Heritage would make a difference to the sound..

Was definitely a great experience though!

Gear Addict

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ol' Betsey View Post
Hmmm. Well it could be the style of pre/EQ is just not to your taste?

I haven't tried the Elite's but I will say, in my experience, a little goes a long way with the 1073's top shelf.

Maybe you can try finding a 1073 in your area and seeing if your feelings are specific to the Elite or 1073's in general?

R.
Yeah, you may be right and that's a really valid point.

Trying a local vintage or hand wired 1073 is a fantastic idea and definitely something I plan to do eventually,
I actually looked around a bit for a hire company but nothing much around me,
Eventually I'll book a few hours at a local Neve room and see what's up,

Although there's the fear in the back of my mind that will lead to a purchase justification

At least one things for sure with my Frankenstein Elites is that nobody has a pair like me!
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Yeah, you may be right and that's a really valid point.

Trying a local vintage or hand wired 1073 is a fantastic idea and definitely something I plan to do eventually,
I actually looked around a bit for a hire company but nothing much around me,
Eventually I'll book a few hours at a local Neve room and see what's up,

Although there's the fear in the back of my mind that will lead to a purchase justification

At least one things for sure with my Frankenstein Elites is that nobody has a pair like me!
let me know how it goes! ..Im digin mine over here ! ...no silver bullet but what pre is?

Last edited by RightOnRome; 30th January 2020 at 09:36 PM..
Old 31st January 2020 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
let me know how it goes! ..Im digin mine over here ! ...no silver bullet but what pre is?
Louder than liftoff - the silver bullet
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ox Han View Post
Louder than liftoff - the silver bullet
Gear Addict

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Yeah mate I hear you!!

Although I would say for my tastes Ross Giles VMP2C is the silver bullet preamp..
No EQ though, but the pre is incredible!

But his preamp into my modded Heritage, line in with the EQ engaged .. mmhmm magic!!
Old 31st January 2020
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Does Ross Giles have a website?

Used a eq of his things in he past and they were great.

Wiggy
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Yeah mate I hear you!!

Although I would say for my tastes Ross Giles VMP2C is the silver bullet preamp..
No EQ though, but the pre is incredible!

But his preamp into my modded Heritage, line in with the EQ engaged .. mmhmm magic!!
sweet ..can you post some simple A/B's? I would love to hear that
Old 11th February 2020 | Show parent
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 10 years
looks like the price went back up ! ..I knew I should have bought a second! ..wow that was a generous sale!

Last edited by RightOnRome; 15th February 2020 at 01:32 AM.. Reason: Spelling
Old 14th February 2020 | Show parent
WKG
Lives for gear

5 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
Quote:
looks like the price went back up ! ..I new I should have bought a second! ..wow that was a generous sale!
It was a great sale. I picked up the HA-73EQX2 and then added an HA-73X2.

Two 73EQX2 would have been nice but the budget wouldn't fit. I really like having 4 channels of the pres though and can always run back through the line in to access the eq's if I want.
Old 25th May 2020 | Show parent
Gear Addict

🎧 10 years
Quote:
sweet ..can you post some simple A/B's? I would love to hear that
Hey man, yeah I should!
Have to get around to that at some point..

So, in true GS fashion.. I wasn't satisfied with the previous result of the HA73s.. I still reckon they didn't sound right,
You know what it was? It wasn't so much that it was harsh on the high end, although it was, it's more that it had a "BRITTLE" character to it and it was actually not bad on single sources but as a mixbus preamp the whole mix sounded really kinda glassy/brittle (I know descriptions suck).. just edgy on the ears even without any EQ boosted.

So went back and had the input transformers replace and monkied around with the high shelf frequency, now have a few different options on there, but long story the input traffo made a huge difference to the overall character,
It's still warm and saturates nicely, it's just that when you boost the highs is sounds really "sweet" and moreish!
Still.. works better on some sources/mics than others, but that's anything.

Man what a trip.

Considering buying a bunch of these now and just getting my tech to do the same thing to all of them, gonna get pricey though, probably could have just bought the high end units at this rate..
One thing that's for sure, is that nobody has these units but me, they're totally unique pieces now!! Which I LOVE.

Sorry guys for derailing a product discussion thread with talk about modding it
Old 25th May 2020 | Show parent
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Hey man, yeah I should!
Have to get around to that at some point..

So, in true GS fashion.. I wasn't satisfied with the previous result of the HA73s.. I still reckon they didn't sound right,
You know what it was? It wasn't so much that it was harsh on the high end, although it was, it's more that it had a "BRITTLE" character to it and it was actually not bad on single sources but as a mixbus preamp the whole mix sounded really kinda glassy/brittle (I know descriptions suck).. just edgy on the ears even without any EQ boosted.

So went back and had the input transformers replace and monkied around with the high shelf frequency, now have a few different options on there, but long story the input traffo made a huge difference to the overall character,
It's still warm and saturates nicely, it's just that when you boost the highs is sounds really "sweet" and moreish!
Still.. works better on some sources/mics than others, but that's anything.

Man what a trip.

Considering buying a bunch of these now and just getting my tech to do the same thing to all of them, gonna get pricey though, probably could have just bought the high end units at this rate..
One thing that's for sure, is that nobody has these units but me, they're totally unique pieces now!! Which I LOVE.

Sorry guys for derailing a product discussion thread with talk about modding it
well one thing i can say is yes, I know what you mean with the brittleness ..

the 2264JR pre amp side does not do this (I notice it mainly on vocals).. so probably the transformers, but I still love it especially on snare top and bottom .. although I just mixed a record that I did with it on vocals, and had noproblem working with a C6 to tame the brittle effect and it sounded great, I would still buy another
Old 28th May 2020 | Show parent
Gear Addict

🎧 10 years
Quote:

the 2264JR pre amp side does not do this (I notice it mainly on vocals).. so probably the transformers, but I still love it especially on snare top and bottom .. although I just mixed a record that I did with it on vocals, and had noproblem working with a C6 to tame the brittle effect and it sounded great, I would still buy another
Hey dude,

Yeah I totally get you, that's the thing I suppose it works better on certain sources which is totally understandable..
When I first got it I remember recording my wife singing through it and thinking oh that's "that" sound, so vintage and familiar and was pretty chuffed by it.

However the more I explored it, the more it fell apart, particularly under PGM.
If I could do it all again knowing what I know now, I'd just buy the hand wired ones!
However, it's cool to have mine which are unique pieces.

Old 3rd June 2020 | Show parent
Gear Addict

🎧 10 years
Quote:

Weird about the 2264J
Looks like the same transformers?
Old 25th September 2020 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
I got to play with one of the heritage elite 73 racks today along side a real neve. I must say, I’m impressed. The sound was very smooth and pleasing. The eq was useful but could get out of hand quick. I was actually shocked on how good it sounded for the price.

Only grips, if you know the feel of a real neve, the heritage feels like a toy in comparison.
Old 2nd December 2020
Gear Addict

🎧 5 years
Anyone care to share some recordings done with an Elite? Dying to hear the units stacked, mixed, etc.

Last edited by The Warmth; 3rd December 2020 at 12:05 PM..
Old 2 days ago | Show parent
Why do you reckon the Ha73 Elite doesn't have a 500hz selection? The genuine 73 doesn't have 500 either?
Old 2 days ago | Show parent
Quote:
Originally Posted by MREVOL View Post
I got to play with one of the heritage elite 73 racks today along side a real neve. I must say, I’m impressed. The sound was very smooth and pleasing. The eq was useful but could get out of hand quick. I was actually shocked on how good it sounded for the price.

Only grips, if you know the feel of a real neve, the heritage feels like a toy in comparison.
Haha as far as gripes go that one pretty much bites your head off!

😂
📝 Reply