The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
Heritage Audio Elite Series
Old 9th May 2018
Gear Maniac

really good video I found on the importance of the ext. PSU design. YouTube
Old 11th May 2018
Here for the gear

Great, good to know about the knob quality !

Regarding real neves, yeah... I worked many many maaaany times with 1073 racked vintage neves, 1073 ams neves, racked Sheps at Avatar and Neve consoles as the one at Searsound. I even owned a 1073DPD. I must say that I like all of them. For some reason I find that here at gearslutz people seem to find differences that most pro engineer do not care about or won't spend a minute discussing on it. This Heritage pre sounds just as how a 1073 should sound.

Quote:
Originally Posted by shanesbg View Post
NY...I metioned this earlier in this thread, but the HPF knob on the HA73EQ was a mistake initially, this is what they said to me via email

"Hi Shane,
Thanks for your email.
The hpf switch is what is called a "light torque" version. Light torque versions are intended for small knobs so they are easier to turn and has nothing to do with quality.
We received these instead of the regular torque version by mistake by our supplier but, given the massive number of preorders and customers demanding their units, we decided to fit these instead of waiting another 4 weeks to get the replacements, as "lighter feel" has nothing to do with quality.
Please make sure your unit has a high quality switch fitted, just easier to turn, and will last as long.
Best regards
P

P. Rodriguez
Managing Director"

So it wasn't "by design" and I am assuming these have since been replaced with the switches Heritage initially intended. As for me...I do not find it a deal breaker, esp after this email response, but it does take a min to get used to and does make you think "hmm, this thing is gonna break". Obviously it concerned me enough to email them and ask and they were very responsive and forth coming with their info. They could have said anything.."we designed it this way for so and so reason", but they didn't...they were honest about the fact that there was an error and they made a decision to roll with it...I like that.

With all that said I appreciate your input regarding the unit..I have never owned a "real" 1073 or even used one that I am aware of. Hearing others that potentially have heard and used them say these units are right there is reassuring. Ultimately it comes down to the sound and if you like it or not, but I thank you for your input
Old 11th May 2018
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Newyorkrecording View Post

Regarding real neves, yeah... I worked many many maaaany times with 1073 racked vintage neves, 1073 ams neves, racked Sheps at Avatar and Neve consoles as the one at Searsound. I even owned a 1073DPD. I must say that I like all of them. For some reason I find that here at gearslutz people seem to find differences that most pro engineer do not care about or won't spend a minute discussing on it. This Heritage pre sounds just as how a 1073 should sound.
NY...That is really cool to hear! I myself do not have any experience with a "real" Neve of any # so hearing from individuals that have experience with them and can share an opinion/conclusion is great. I bought this unit sight unseen, or unheard, and had high hopes. I picked up the Warm version as well because I wasn't sure which would do it for my application. There's this tiny little voice telling me that BAE would be better, but I have ignored it.

So anyway, I like this unit and the Warm and at this point don't have any desire to let either go. I like having slightly different flavors of the same overall vibe. Thanks for the feedback!
Old 12th May 2018
Gear Nut
Quote:
Originally Posted by Newyorkrecording View Post

I totally agree. There’s absolutely nothing wrong with this pre. I’m fact, I guarantee that 99% couldn’t tell the difference between this and Heritage’s $2k one. That being said, I think i prefer the darker transformers from something like Sowter...these Carnhills are a little brighter...they sound the same in all of the Heritage products. I’ve had mine up for sale because of some vintage gear lust (and the buy was total impulse) but I think I’ve gotten a Martech sold...so I might pull this one down.
Old 12th May 2018
Gear Maniac
I just got my WA273eq and it seems pretty solid so far. Build quality seems good. I called the Warm guys before I ordered and they seemed very knowledgeable and very friendly.

I just got done recording some vocals and acoustic guitars as well as running a bass direct into the line inputs and felt good about the purchase.

Comparing them to my Apogee Symphony preamps there was definitely a lot less “crispy mess” going on when recording the acoustic. The apogee preamps just felt a bit “brittle maybe” while the warm sounded much warmer which is kind of expected. The bass with some we shaping was pretty amazing and very fat with lots of depth and dimension.

They look awesome which is not a bad thing.

I’m a pretty happy dude.
Old 17th May 2018
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Octopussy View Post
I just got my WA273eq and it seems pretty solid so far. Build quality seems good. I called the Warm guys before I ordered and they seemed very knowledgeable and very friendly.

I just got done recording some vocals and acoustic guitars as well as running a bass direct into the line inputs and felt good about the purchase.

Comparing them to my Apogee Symphony preamps there was definitely a lot less “crispy mess” going on when recording the acoustic. The apogee preamps just felt a bit “brittle maybe” while the warm sounded much warmer which is kind of expected. The bass with some we shaping was pretty amazing and very fat with lots of depth and dimension.

They look awesome which is not a bad thing.

I’m a pretty happy dude.
I was just curious...are you talking about the Warm or the Heritage? It looks pretty clear, but the reason I was asking is this is a Heritage thread...anyway...sounds like you're digging it
Old 17th May 2018
Gear Maniac
My gut told me heritage but after research and speaking with Warm as well as the great features on the warm, I went with Warm 273eq.

QUOTE=shanesbg;13322126]I was just curious...are you talking about the Warm or the Heritage? It looks pretty clear, but the reason I was asking is this is a Heritage thread...anyway...sounds like you're digging it[/QUOTE]
Old 20th May 2018
Gear Maniac

Why would you come in the heritage thread to boast on your warm product? Are you looking for somebody to validate your purchase? Or are you trying to convince somebody you bought a superior product?
Old 20th May 2018
Gear Maniac
Hahaha. Didn’t realize what thread it was. Calm your pants off. I’m sure they’re both fine

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gutz View Post
Why would you come in the heritage thread to boast on your warm product? Are you looking for somebody to validate your purchase? Or are you trying to convince somebody you bought a superior product?
Old 19th August 2018
Gear Addict

Still using my HA73eq.
I watched a review that Pro Tools Expert did of the AMS Neve 1073eq 2 channel box and it made me so very happy because at least to my ears as soon as the reviewer started talking through the pre the character was so familiar to how my HA73eq sounds (at least to my ears).
Makes me a very happy man, and now I want to buy another channel of Heritage.
Old 5th September 2018
Lives for gear

Who has compared to the warm? I want a pair of Neve 73 clones with the EQ. Can anybody confirm that the newer units has more solid feeling filter switches?
Old 16th November 2018
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by warhead View Post
Maybe I need to rename the files, but yes this is how they are labeled at this moment.

The good news is the Heritage Elite series sounds identical to hand wired units, and all of the values are correct etc. We even opened up the units we had to check them out. Those dual concentric EQ switches are incredible also, very heavy duty and done right. Carnhill transformers...and you don't even have to squint to know hey I've got a 1073 in my rack = amazing.

These are the new standard for sure, and being built by Heritage in Europe is even crazier that they were able to meet this price point with identical sound.

You should listen to the preamp tests but of course the equalizer test, to hear it vs any other equalizer we've tested.
The HA73 and the DMA73 sound quite different, don't you think? Listen to the 'full mix' versions; firstly the HA73 has slightly more presence but oddly the timing between the instruments sounds more 'off' on the HA73 (listen out for the electric guitar and drums). I'm not sure if this has anything to do with transients or something else (which gets accentuated in the mix). Would anyone else mind taking a listen? This is the HA73 with the EQ bypassed? I'm sorry but am hearing clear difference
Old 19th November 2018
Lives for gear
Talk to me fellas.

Who’s loving their HA73? Looking at this or the new Golden Age Premier PRE-73 which has quite a few more options and looks solid, construction wise.

The HA73 is getting some “press” around here as being a bit strident/bright as opposed to airy, so not sure if this is going to be sibilant with LDCs for vocals.
Old 27th November 2018
Here for the gear

I just ordered the HA73EQX2 Elite, should be in on Friday. Very excited! Will be my first pre's outside of an interface
Old 22nd December 2018
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Korady View Post
I just ordered the HA73EQX2 Elite, should be in on Friday. Very excited! Will be my first pre's outside of an interface
let me know how you like it, please, once you get into it...
Old 13th January 2019
Spoke to a VK rep who was kinda ragging on these today as chinese consumer toys. No doubt to get me to buy the 1073SPX I called in to order. I read this thread on how amazingly close these are and can’t shake it. My client, both engineers and artists want to see that red N. I’ll admit, it’s important when running a buisness. But not as important to me as the sound.

For the massive price difference you’d think there’d be a massive difference in sound... You’d think! Lots of love on this thread, Any Neve owners A-B’d these and NOT liked them?
Old 2nd February 2019
I can only say that the difference between the DMA and Elite series is audible. But I'm not saying the Elite sounds worse, it sounds different.

When the DMA is driven close to saturation it sounds fuller to me with a pleasant punch. The Elite series remains a bit cleaner, but certainly not worse.
This is especially audible when I use the DIs with synthesizer and bass or feed synthesizer via the line inputs.

With vocals ( Gefell 930 TS, Mojave FET) I find sibilants a bit less comfortable with the Elite device. In my opinion, the reworking with EQ is less necessary with the DMA. Many tracks can be printed directly without EQ post-processing.

I had ordered both devices for comparison. And I decided to keep the DMA. I really would have liked to have saved 1000 Euro, but I liked the sound and workmanship of the DMA better. I have attached images of my opened DMA 73.
Attached Thumbnails
Heritage Audio Elite Series-img_4763.jpg   Heritage Audio Elite Series-img_4765.jpg  
Old 30th March 2019
Lives for gear

Does anyone have experience with both the elite HA73eq and the 1073/500 anniversary series? Could you shed light on how different they are? They have the same features and layout except DI.

The Clipilator sounds pretty similar with the 1073/500 being a little more open and having a slightly larger sound. Is that worth $1300 more?
Old 24th April 2019
Lives for gear

I shoutout the 73jr and elite HA73eqx2 on mono OH. Here are the files:

Quote:
Heritage Audio 73jr vs Elite HA73eq shootout Mono OH - Gearslutz

First, my room is completely untreated. Second, I\'m a crappy musician. In my quest to put together a writing room in my place, I am searching for 4 great channels. I\'d like two of them to be something akin to the \'n\' flavor. I shot out the HA73e
Old 27th April 2019
Lives for gear
I tried the 73X2 and liked it. But I wanted a rack unit to replace my two 1073LB units. After a brief round of testing I just liked the 1073LBs better enough that I kept them and sold the 73X2. As others have said it sounded great but different. If I had to put words to that I would say the 1073LBs were warmer and gently saturated where the 73X2 was brighter and a bit less round in the low end. Also possible after a couple of years of use - i am just used to the way the two 500 series 1073LBs sounded.
Old 18th August 2019
Gear Addict

Has anyone made any extensive recordings with these yet and care to share some examples?
Old 19th August 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Warmth View Post
Has anyone made any extensive recordings with these yet and care to share some examples?
I started a thread in low end comparing samples of t HA73eqx2 and the 73jr on mono OH. Literally one person interacted, which was surprising. Check out the link below.

The differences when comparing one mic/one source sound pretty similar as you'll hear in that shootout, but as you get into more tracks/mics and stacking them the differences become more apparent. I planned to post one more shootout in that thread with an added kick mic going through the HA73 to illustrate the stacking effect but no one GAF so I never bothered.

Heritage Audio 73jr vs Elite HA73eq shootout Mono OH
Old 19th August 2019
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ox Han View Post
I started a thread in low end comparing samples of t HA73eqx2 and the 73jr on mono OH. Literally one person interacted, which was surprising. Check out the link below.

The differences when comparing one mic/one source sound pretty similar as you'll hear in that shootout, but as you get into more tracks/mics and stacking them the differences become more apparent. I planned to post one more shootout in that thread with an added kick mic going through the HA73 to illustrate the stacking effect but no one GAF so I never bothered.

Heritage Audio 73jr vs Elite HA73eq shootout Mono OH
Yeah that was me that interacted. I’d love to hear some proper tracks layered to see how everything gels. Also complex sources like acoustic guitar. Maybe vocals. Some people have said there’s a hardness to the sound but from the few things I’ve heard that have been properly recorded, I don’t hear the hardness. I heard a DI sample on bass and was really impressed.
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search