The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Warm Audio Introduces WA-47 Tube Condenser Microphone Condenser Microphones
Old 4th February 2018
Quote:
Originally Posted by prontold View Post
My guess on the spoken word

1. U47
2. Wa47
3. GA47
4. M147
Interesting!
The mic numbers are the same for Piano and Vocals by the way.
So Mic1 one on piano is the same as Mic1 on vocals and so on...
Old 4th February 2018
Lives for gear

Piano #4 is my favorite and i hope its not the U47...

Thanks for the samples
Old 4th February 2018
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by Simma Lugnt View Post
Piano #4 is my favourite and hope its not the U47

Thanks for the samples
I only listened to the spoken word a few hours ago but I preferred #4 and #3 .....moon
Old 5th February 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by elambo View Post
That experience you speak of is precisely the bias he's referring to. Play two identical sound files, tell a person with good ears that one is a $800 Warm 47 and the other is a $20,000 vintage 47 and their mind will start playing tricks on them because our experience tells us that when something costs 25x more it's generally better. And, generally, that experience wouldn't be wrong. If you have ZERO experience with mics then you can't have bias.
The experience I'm speaking of is having years of experience mixing audio and refining your ears, as well as knowing what you like. If you guys don't think you can listen to a variety of mics and not know the difference or that somehow you have such limited experience that your bias will somehow be skewed knowing which mic you're listening to, that's your opinion of your abilities. If you think everyone is like you, then I'd say that opinion is skewed as well.
L.
Old 5th February 2018
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by roughgear View Post
Interesting!
The mic numbers are the same for Piano and Vocals by the way.
So Mic1 one on piano is the same as Mic1 on vocals and so on...
Hmm interesting indeed. I was listening on iPhone speakers, so no idea what I may have been missing sonically, but I would not have guessed piano 4 and voice 4 were the same mic!
Old 5th February 2018
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lenzo View Post
The experience I'm speaking of is having years of experience mixing audio and refining your ears, as well as knowing what you like. If you guys don't think you can listen to a variety of mics and not know the difference or that somehow you have such limited experience that your bias will somehow be skewed knowing which mic you're listening to, that's your opinion of your abilities. If you think everyone is like you, then I'd say that opinion is skewed as well.
L.
I appreciate your input with your experience, but no one escapes their brains tricks. There's no espace from psychological phenomena. It only varies in degree. It's not something you learn, it's wired in your brain. You can to some degree learn out of it, when you acknowledge it, but not completely.

Now some of us want to have fun and take that out of the equation. "Why is it some people on GS think they can speak for everyone." is something that you just said a few posts ago, yet you're doing just that.

You can have your fun knowing what mic you're listening to after the blind test in a couple days. But we can't have a blind test if the files are named by mic. So let us a have a little fun and be patient, your time will come.

Cheers!
Old 5th February 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ollio View Post
I appreciate your input with your experience, but no one escapes their brains tricks. There's no espace from psychological phenomena. It only varies in degree. It's not something you learn, it's wired in your brain. You can to some degree learn out of it, when you acknowledge it, but not completely.

Now some of us want to have fun and take that out of the equation. "Why is it some people on GS think they can speak for everyone." is something that you just said a few posts ago, yet you're doing just that.

You can have your fun knowing what mic you're listening to after the blind test in a couple days. But we can't have a blind test if the files are named by mic. So let us a have a little fun and be patient, your time will come.

Cheers!
To be clear, there is nothing in my replies indicating I was speaking for "everyone". I simply started this by expressing my opinion with regards to blind tests. Zinzin replied "people are always biased when they know brand names. always." I think this is faulty logic. None of us know "everyone". Now you and Zinzin are entitled to your opinion. But they are opinions, not fact. And I'm not trying to trounce on anyone's fun if you find blind tests fun. I'll even grant that some will probably be biased. It's just this absolute thing that people do on gs sometimes. "Everyone says this or everyone knows that". None of us know everyone. I can only speak for myself, unless I know someone first hand..and even then I'd be hard pressed to know what they actually think or how their mind works. I'm of the opinion that if I know it's a $20,000 Neumann and I have that as my base reference, that I'd be better able to judge how well the Warm stacks up against it. And... that if you had 5 people who listened to the same files you would be likely to get 5 different opinions. But that is just my opinion. I don't hold it up as fact.
L.
Old 5th February 2018
Blind test U47, GA-47, WA-47 and M147 - four more files of female vocals

Quote:
So, here's a small teaser for all the one's who love blind tests.

Male Vox spoken word, about 50 cm away.
Piano recorded as seen on picture.
Chain is: Mic -> Quad 8 Desk -> Pro Tools -> No FX, No comp, No bass roll-off.
I matched the volume as good as I could, but keep in mind that they all have different Frequency response and compression behavior (tube circuit).

Mics are: Golden Age Premier GA-47, Warm Audio WA-47, Neumann U47, Neumann M147

I'll need more time to get all the videos ready, but stay tuned and have fun in the meanwhile!
Here are four more audio files for you!
This time with Emily Intsiful on vocals, about 20cm away from the mics (she's closer than on the picture).

Ps: Here's the song: YouTube
Attached Thumbnails
Warm Audio Introduces WA-47 Tube Condenser Microphone-emily_far.jpg  
Attached Files

Mic1-Female-Singing-close.wav (6.85 MB, 4537 views)

Mic2-Female-Singing-close.wav (6.85 MB, 4555 views)

Mic3-Female-Singing-close.wav (6.85 MB, 4524 views)

Mic4-Female-Singing-close.wav (6.85 MB, 4414 views)

Old 5th February 2018
Lives for gear

It's good that the mics are unknown. That's my opinion and how I want to judge the comparison.
Old 5th February 2018
it wasn't my intention to speak for everyone. it's just a scientific fact that in general "people" live under rules of psychology and marketing works. to every rule there's some exception - congratulation: you are the exception.
can we now please move on OT ...
Old 5th February 2018
Here for the gear

I don't prefer a blind comparison for myself, which is why I just asked the results. I do like to watch others participate in it though. I have no issue with bias, and it was clear to my ears I preferred the Neumann U47, and the Golden Age U47. If I'm picking between those two, I'd actually choose Golden Age. They're almost the same, but I like the GA47 a tad more. If I was bias I would have liked the Warm version more because I wanted to like it more. It's the cheapest, so of course I hoped to like it most.
This test has me on the verge of getting the Golden Age U47, and by reading about it on their website, it seems this mic is top quality.
Old 5th February 2018
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomas132 View Post
I don't prefer a blind comparison for myself, which is why I just asked the results. I do like to watch others participate in it though. I have no issue with bias, and it was clear to my ears I preferred the Neumann U47, and the Golden Age U47. If I'm picking between those two, I'd actually choose Golden Age. They're almost the same, but I like the GA47 a tad more. If I was bias I would have liked the Warm version more because I wanted to like it more. It's the cheapest, so of course I hoped to like it most.
This test has me on the verge of getting the Golden Age U47, and by reading about it on their website, it seems this mic is top quality.
sorry but he didn't give away the results by mic...he just says which mics he's using in a random order
Old 5th February 2018
Lives for gear

Why doesn't he privately PM names to those who prefer them, then let the rest of us listen without knowing in advance. A solution for everyone, no?
Old 5th February 2018
Quote:
Originally Posted by elambo View Post
Why doesn't he privately PM names to those who prefer them, then let the rest of us listen without knowing in advance. A solution for everyone, no?
Anyone who'd like to know the result is of course welcome to send me a PM.
That's what Thomas132 did
Old 5th February 2018
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by deniis35 View Post
sorry but he didn't give away the results by mic...he just says which mics he's using in a random order
He gave me the results in a private message when I asked.
Old 5th February 2018
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lenzo View Post
To be clear, there is nothing in my replies indicating I was speaking for "everyone". I simply started this by expressing my opinion with regards to blind tests. Zinzin replied "people are always biased when they know brand names. always." I think this is faulty logic. None of us know "everyone". Now you and Zinzin are entitled to your opinion. But they are opinions, not fact. And I'm not trying to trounce on anyone's fun if you find blind tests fun. I'll even grant that some will probably be biased. It's just this absolute thing that people do on gs sometimes. "Everyone says this or everyone knows that". None of us know everyone. I can only speak for myself, unless I know someone first hand..and even then I'd be hard pressed to know what they actually think or how their mind works. I'm of the opinion that if I know it's a $20,000 Neumann and I have that as my base reference, that I'd be better able to judge how well the Warm stacks up against it. And... that if you had 5 people who listened to the same files you would be likely to get 5 different opinions. But that is just my opinion. I don't hold it up as fact.
L.
Thanks for clearing it up and I understand where you're coming.

Still, confirmation bias is a well studied fact and a part of human nature. But of course nothing is black and white and it doesn't mean we always end up with the heavyest price tag or the most vintage looking mic. However, it does still affect sub-conciously on how we perceive things, which is why I think blind tests are essential when the differences are subtle. But that is an opinion, and you are of course entitled to your own.

Sorry if I came off rude in my last post!
Old 6th February 2018
My guess from my computer speakers (not studio monitors):
Mic 1 is Nuemann u47
Mic 3 is Neumann M147

GAP / Wa are the other 2

all are pretty close. great to hear how close they are.
Old 6th February 2018
Lives for gear

Confirmation bias is a thing and I will absolutely listen blind first. I also highly trust my gut feeling with audio gear when I do know the brands when hearing demo files or videos. A lot of reissues/clones of synths/comps/EQs/mics are OK and initially have had me excited until I heard or tried them and they didn’t give me anything. Standard modern hardware equipment classics as well: expensive and/or popular doesn’t mean I’ll like it. I really like new gear with warranty/support if the vibe is there. And I’ll pay the price if the gear moves me and gets me hyped. Also some tools are more important tohave high quality, like my EQ and comp for mix buss or mastering, or a vocal mic, while a comp on a single channel low in the mix or in parallell is not as, or say some of the drum mics. Tools for the intended job.

I have had hopes of getting bargain mics like these but so far not many have convinced me, I’d rather just wait and spend a little more. Everybodys needs and budgets are different though and I welcome gear in all price ranges. You often do get what you pay for.
Old 6th February 2018
My guess:
1. U47
2. WA47
3. GA47
4. M147

Curious to get the results. I PMed.
Old 6th February 2018
Lives for gear
I'm not going to guess (cause that's all it would be, a guess). However, I'll try to rank them:

#3 : My favorite in just about every example
#4 : Next favorite, sounds a bit like 3 but not quite as pronounced in the mids
#2 : This was my third favorite on the piano, but my least favorite on the female vocal, on the spoken word I preferred this to #1
#1 : Liked this on the female vocal, but found it a bit too dark on the piano
Old 6th February 2018
Lives for gear
Still listening on iPhone cuz I’m a lazer, but gotta say the way the mics treat the vocals is pretty consistent and recognizable. My favorites on vocal are 1 for its mojo / smoothness and 3 for its smoothness/openness. 2 sounds like a less interesting version of 1 to me, and 4 is a bit more piercing than the others. They’re all good sounding though, and that singer is perfect.
Old 6th February 2018
Here for the gear

I guess the number 3 is the GA-47. Everyone else is too sharp for me. I had the opportunity to test all but the M147. The GA-47 is for me after the BSA UM4X the best U47 clone ever.
Old 6th February 2018
Lives for gear

Male spoken, I like 3 the best. Then 4 then 2 then 1.
Old 6th February 2018
Gear Maniac

On the samples so far....

My guesses are:
Mic 1 = U47
Mic 2 = M147
Mic 3= GA47
Mic 4 v= WA47

I preferred them in this order:
Mic 2 - sounded classiest to me
Mic 1 - sounded creamiest
Mic 3 - sounded like a blend of 1 and 2 but a bit sterile
Mic 4 - sounded cheapest, brittle compared to the others

Acoustic guitar tracks will be very telling for me!
Old 6th February 2018
Gear Nut
Preference in order 3, 1, 2, 4.

3 is lovely, has a solidity and suppleness that makes me think it's the U47, 1 I think is the WA47 which sounds pretty great considering the price difference, 2 I guess M147 and 4 the GA47. All sound good but I favour smoothness and the last two tend towards being a bit brighter - this may make them easier to mix, one of my slight concerns about keeping the WA47 is that it's a little dark, but overall (and keeping in mind the price) I really like it.
Old 7th February 2018
The Big U47 Style Microphone Shootout is finally online!

Hey everyone,

57 high-quality audio files and 9 videos are finally online, comparing the WARM AUDIO WA-47 to the Golden Age Premier GA-47, the Neumann M-147 and the original Neumann U-47!

They are waiting for you over here:
The Big U47 Style Microphone Shootout feat. GA-47, WA-47, NEUMANN U-47 and M-147!

I think it's best to have a new thread in the right section.
And for those of you who prefer not to be biased by brand names, I included a blind shootout for download!

You can also find the videos on Youtube:

Hope you like it!

Last edited by roughgear; 7th February 2018 at 07:14 PM..
Old 7th February 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Hey everyone,

57 high-quality audio files and 9 videos are finally online, comparing the WARM AUDIO WA-47 to the Golden Age Premier GA-47, the Neumann M-147 and the original Neumann U-47!
Thanks so much for putting this together, this was super informative.

I was most impressed by the Golden Age here. It sounded GREAT on both vocalists.

The M147 also surprised me — sounds fantastic and holds up really well for a mic that's subject to so much bashing on GS. Maybe a bit pushed in the upper midrange, but not offensively so, and it also has that naturally "compressed" sound that many other Neumann mics have (a big plus for me).

Overall, I think all of these mics sound wonderful and I could easily get along with any of them. The Warm Audio might have been my least favorite in this particular shootout, but I hesitate to say that, because it still sounds really good.
Old 7th February 2018
Gear Maniac

Very interesting!
My initial guesses based on the female close singing samples were way off, I would never have guessed the U47 to be so much brighter and detailed because I’ve always read its a dark sounding mic, I thought it’d tame the shrillness on the female sung vocal more than it did, relative to the other mics here. I thought the WA47 sounded best on her singing voice. But then on the female voiceover the U47 sounded way better than the others to me, as well as on the acoustic guitars, it was in a league of its own on these sources in my opinion. I liked the WA47 least on acoustic, by quite a bit in comparison to the U47. Compared to the U47 on acoustic the other three mics sounded quite muddy in the lower ends and less detailed.

I was hoping for a different outcome but overall, to me the U47 still leads the pack, by quite a way in some cases, with regards to these particular clones. I can only hope such a comparison is made with the Stam 47 in future as I’ve got one of those on order!
Old 7th February 2018
Quote:
Originally Posted by hasntbeen View Post
I can only hope such a comparison is made with the Stam 47 in future as I’ve got one of those on order!
Oh, I would have loved to have a Stam Audio 47 for comparison!
Old 7th February 2018
Lives for gear

I got this great idea... you can start a studio of only U47 clones in your mic collection... "This one's better on banjo... This one sounds great on trumpets..."
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search