The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Warm Audio Introduces WA-47 Tube Condenser Microphone Condenser Microphones
Old 1st January 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by MoonMusic View Post
In a different post, he said he loved the mic but hated the shock mount and the cable was too short so he returned it....moon
I didn't see that post. What a silly reason to return the mic, but it's his prerogative.

Also, that answers the question "do you still believe it is a great mic?" Yes, he does.
Old 1st January 2018
Lives for gear
No Joke...Post #119 in the Warm Audio WA-73+WA273EQ post :

Quote:
Originally Posted by kangking View Post
After returning the wa47 mic, I would say this: you get what you pay for.

When things are cheap there are definitely corners cut, you have to ask yourself if you can live with that. For me, it wasnt the sound of the wa47, it was the corners cut on the short cable / shockmount that really annoyed me. Mic sounded great actually. I would have kept it. But low quality accessories killed it for me.

I noticed on my wa76 there was a wall wart, but i can live with it as it didnt impede on my process. The wa2a power cable was way too short but i made it work luckily. There was only 1 place in my rack i could use it or it wouldnt reach.

Im glad my bae has external psu so i can easily plug it in from the opposite side of my desk. Im realizing i probably wont even be able to reach my power strip if i bought warm audio 1073 since the power cord is probably the length of the wa2a.

Thats my only constructive crtiticsm i can say about warm audio. The corners they cut on certain things like power / mic cables, shockmount, this case theres no external psu where in a controlled setting dont seem to matter, but in reality make a big difference. If you have a desk like mine it means your preamp will need to be on the same side as your power strip / rack, and if you have no room on that side it probably wont reach from the other side. Kind of annoying. But thats the corners cut.

If they made higher quality accessories and cables id say theyd be damn near the perfect budget but still good quality company.
Hey if your not satisfied for any reason, return it....moon
Old 2nd January 2018
Lives for gear

??? This is a $900 microphone (it can be had for less btw) which appears to come much closer to matching a U47 than anything we've ever seen before in this price category. How do we expect it to obtain that $$ point if not cutting corners on components that are less relevant to the sound?

What beef could anyone have with a shockmount unless it doesn't alleviate vibrations. Does it *not* do its job? And cables can very easily be extended without detriment to the sound.
Old 2nd January 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by elambo View Post
??? This is a $900 microphone (it can be had for less btw) which appears to come much closer to matching a U47 than anything we've ever seen before in this price category. How do we expect it to obtain that $$ point if not cutting corners on components that are less relevant to the sound?

What beef could anyone have with a shockmount unless it doesn't alleviate vibrations. Does it *not* do its job? And cables can very easily be extended without detriment to the sound.
And longer IEC cables can be bought for, what, $5? $6?
Old 2nd January 2018
Lives for gear

Also, I'm eager to hear impressions from other users. Anybody else here have one yet?
Old 2nd January 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by theothermarkwilliams View Post
And longer IEC cables can be bought for, what, $5? $6?
Maybe he's using these.

CrystalPower Ultra Diamond Power Cord - 1.5m - GrooveWorks Aust Pty Ltd

Old 2nd January 2018
Gear Nut
I finally got mine also.

I've only really tested it quickly with acoustic guitar. I'm extremely happy with the sound so far. Recording chain 47 - antelope zen, then bringing to life with the maag eq then wa2a as a hardware insert. You can literally hear a fly on the wall.

As far a build quality goes, the mic is good, but the two clasps on the shock mount are a bit flimsy, although I don't see them letting me down. The cable is a perfect length for me and the power supply feels pretty solid.

Really looking forward to trying some Nigel Godrich style overheads with my two coles and this wa47.

Very happy so far, clips coming soon.
Old 2nd January 2018
Gear Maniac

Question for the few WA47 owners - anyone have experience with the Lawson 47, and is the Warm Audio comparable?

I LOVE the Lawson on my voice at the studio I usually record at, but that's my only experience with the 47 sound. The Warm is much cheaper and the used cheap Lawsons are all that hideous gold color.
Old 3rd January 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:

I use an Enhanced Audio third party mount for my large badge Neumann U47.
Maybe I should throw the mic away.
Old 3rd January 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbjp View Post
I use an Enhanced Audio third party mount for my large badge Neumann U47.
Maybe I should throw the mic away.
I know we're going off-topic now, but since not many people are reporting in with it yet, I'm curious: which Enhanced Audio shockmount do you use for your U-47?
Old 3rd January 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
I know we're going off-topic now, but since not many people are reporting in with it yet, I'm curious: which Enhanced Audio shockmount do you use for your U-47?
It was probably at the time when they first created the mount, before XL and XXL came out so I think it’s the normal M600. Thought it was pricy but went for it as there weren’t many alternatives at the time.
Old 3rd January 2018
Gear Maniac

[QUOTE=ribbontubedude;12979356]ugh... just for the sake of science, and as the developer of that product... uh... the capsule is not all-brass, you're looking right at it. it has teflon o-rings. so do many Neumann's, it doesn't matter, but being accurate does matter... and the nickel plating on the exterior of a mic body is not done 'for acoustics', it is done for aesthetics. learn a bit more before making another video there, Zane.

Last edited by cdkelly; 3rd January 2018 at 06:19 PM..
Old 3rd January 2018
Anyone try this mic next to a Pearlman tm1 or 47??
Old 4th January 2018
Lives for gear

I have absolutely no problems with the shockmount at all. Works flawlessly and feels solid to me.

I don't store my mics, they're up on stands in the studio all the time so I really have no reason for detaching the mic from its mount anyway.
Old 4th January 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPeters86 View Post
I have absolutely no problems with the shockmount at all. Works flawlessly and feels solid to me.

I don't store my mics, they're up on stands in the studio all the time so I really have no reason for detaching the mic from its mount anyway.
If you have your mic in a hallway/booth away from your control area and you have the cable pulling the mic body maybe the shockmount would seem inadequate.
Old 4th January 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mister Karloff View Post
If you have your mic in a hallway/booth away from your control area and you have the cable pulling the mic body maybe the shockmount would seem inadequate.
I have a habit of placing the PSU of my tube mics directly below them near the stand. I have long power cables and extension cables to feed them and long XLR cables to go to the preamps (when necessary).
Old 4th January 2018
Quote:
Originally Posted by Will The Weirdo View Post
Since you returned your WA47, do you still believe it is a "great Mic"?
I still think its a great mic. Not a great bundle though. The shockmount and short cable killed it for me in the end, but let me start in the beginning:

The sound was nice! It may have been better than the copperhead, it seemed more detailed. I was all for it, until i noticed it would distort a bit into my warm audio compressors on louder vocals. It was really hard to match my compression quality to that of which I had before, because I had to turn the compressors down a lot, which in turn would change the sound. I realized I would need to change my mix style a bit to accommodate that. And that would take some time to figure out.

I got clients coming in every day and they expect a certain level of quality from me. So i was scrambling trying to get everything right, then I started getting really annoyed from the cable being so short short, then i started noticing the shockmount is not holding the mic steady.

So in the end I got frustrated because I was doing a lot of things at once. I returned it because it was too much of a hassle for me right now. I only have space for 1 mic to be set up. And i have to constantly move the mic in and out of the hallway i turned into a vocal booth. So I can see myself tipping over the mic on the micstand due to the cable being so short its hard to move. Plus my time is more limited because of an increase in business, so I needed to go back to a system that could work for me efficiently without the need for fooling around. The shockmount was not holding the mic straight (tbh they skimped on that), and made it look unpleasing, and the short cable were the tipping points (almost literally). It made the amt of work needed not worth it to me.

Quote:
In a different post, he said he loved the mic but hated the shock mount and the cable was too short so he returned it....moon
yes. in a nutshell.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rolf Ebitsch View Post
You must be joking !

R.
Quote:
I didn't see that post. What a silly reason to return the mic, but it's his prerogative.

Also, that answers the question "do you still believe it is a great mic?" Yes, he does.
Yes it's still a great mic.

Quote:
No Joke...Post #119 in the Warm Audio WA-73+WA273EQ post :

Hey if your not satisfied for any reason, return it....moon

Quote:

It's a great mic, they should have just charged 1-200 more and gave us premium accessories. Then I would have kept it
Old 5th January 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by kangking View Post
I still think its a great mic. Not a great bundle though. The shockmount and short cable killed it for me in the end, but let me start in the beginning:

The sound was nice! It may have been better than the copperhead, it seemed more detailed. I was all for it, until i noticed it would distort a bit into my warm audio compressors on louder vocals. It was really hard to match my compression quality to that of which I had before, because I had to turn the compressors down a lot, which in turn would change the sound. I realized I would need to change my mix style a bit to accommodate that. And that would take some time to figure out.

I got clients coming in every day and they expect a certain level of quality from me. So i was scrambling trying to get everything right, then I started getting really annoyed from the cable being so short short, then i started noticing the shockmount is not holding the mic steady.

So in the end I got frustrated because I was doing a lot of things at once. I returned it because it was too much of a hassle for me right now. I only have space for 1 mic to be set up. And i have to constantly move the mic in and out of the hallway i turned into a vocal booth. So I can see myself tipping over the mic on the micstand due to the cable being so short its hard to move. Plus my time is more limited because of an increase in business, so I needed to go back to a system that could work for me efficiently without the need for fooling around. The shockmount was not holding the mic straight (tbh they skimped on that), and made it look unpleasing, and the short cable were the tipping points (almost literally). It made the amt of work needed not worth it to me.

yes. in a nutshell.

Yes it's still a great mic.

It's a great mic, they should have just charged 1-200 more and gave us premium accessories. Then I would have kept it
Just FYI, you gainstage into a compressor by adjusting the mic pre, not by cornering yourself off into only using lower output mics.
Old 5th January 2018
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ragan View Post
Just FYI, you gainstage into a compressor by adjusting the mic pre, not by cornering yourself off into only using lower output mics.
I was thinking the same thing
Old 5th January 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Seems so simple doesn't it?
Old 5th January 2018
Gear Head
I think I’m gonna need another opinion
Old 5th January 2018
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gorgechon View Post
Anyone try this mic next to a Pearlman tm1 or 47??
I happened to have a Pearlman TM1 and IMO there's a big difference. The Pearlman just has more high end magic going on and a better fit for my voice. The Warm is a lovely mic but the Pearlman has a more modern sound that I prefer.

Also received the VMS around the same time and I'm using it more than the Warm but I only use these on lead male vocals. Might be one of those try before you buy situations and just see if it fits your setup.
Old 5th January 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by RKeefe1032 View Post
I happened to have a Pearlman TM1 and IMO there's a big difference. The Pearlman just has more high end magic going on and a better fit for my voice. The Warm is a lovely mic but the Pearlman has a more modern sound that I prefer.

Also received the VMS around the same time and I'm using it more than the Warm but I only use these on lead male vocals. Might be one of those try before you buy situations and just see if it fits your setup.
That's interesting to know because when I had the TM-1 it was too bright on me. The Warm might be a better fit (if I decide I want a 47ish mic).
Old 5th January 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
That's interesting to know because when I had the TM-1 it was too bright on me. The Warm might be a better fit (if I decide I want a 47ish mic).
*If* you decide you want a 47ish mic? That's got to be like the only style mic you don't have, brother.
Old 5th January 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
*If* you decide you want a 47ish mic? That's got to be like the only style mic you don't have, brother.
Heheh. Well I’ve had a few good ones but it was never quite a love match.
Old 5th January 2018
Gear Addict

Quote:
I'm with you, I'm not a 47 style singer. I like cleaner balanced mics on my voice with controlled proximity effect. Recently I purchased the Lawson L47/L251 combo set and the Lawson 47, although surprisingly good sounding, lost out by a margin to the L251 which worked phenomenally for my voice. But when I get a 47 mic on the right singer I love that BIG sound. Along with the L47, I have a Neumann M147, Blue Cactus (with the B7 capsule), Peluso 22 47, and the solid-state transformer-less Violet Globe Vintage (VD47 capsule). All of these have a 47 feel, and on the multi-pattern mics I like them towards omni to control the proximity effect.
Old 5th January 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rockabilly69 View Post
I'm with you, I'm not a 47 style singer. I like cleaner balanced mics on my voice with controlled proximity effect. Recently I purchased the Lawson L47/L251 combo set and the Lawson 47, although surprisingly good sounding, lost out by a margin to the L251 which worked phenomenally for my voice. But when I get a 47 mic on the right singer I love that BIG sound. Along with the L47, I have a Neumann M147, Blue Cactus (with the B7 capsule), Peluso 22 47, and the solid-state transformer-less Violet Globe Vintage (VD47 capsule). All of these have a 47 feel, and on the multi-pattern mics I like them towards omni to control the proximity effect.
I've never used a tube 47-ish mic, so I'm intrigued to try something in the "family." I have a Soundelux U195 that I've had for years, and while I can make it work on my vocals, the top end is pretty zingy. But I imagine it bears only a little resemblance to a tube 47. I've thought about selling that sucker for years, but I still really like it on acoustic guitars.

Ragan, I know you're using the MaxMod these days. Still digging it? I've used an old M269 a lot on my voice in the past, and have loved it, but I'm curious what a tube 47 would bring to the table for me.

Rockabilly69, how would you describe the top end (particularly) on the L47 and Peluso?

I don't think this is really off-topic, since Warm is choosing to name their mic the "WA-47." While we await more in-person reviews, I'm interested in talking about the "family."
Old 5th January 2018
Gear Addict

Quote:
Rockabilly69, how would you describe the top end (particularly) on the L47 and Peluso?
Darker, rounded soft top end, with the L47 having more detail than the 22 47. Both of them take well to EQ when needed, with the L47 sounding a bit more finished. After awhile with the Lawson, I think I'm going to sell my 22 47!

I'm not at my recording computer right now, but here's a youtube video of my actual 22 47 before I owned it. It was owned by acoustic musician Mike Wilkins who recorded a bunch of cover songs with it one mic style. Although not ideal (lower mid-build up resonance from the room and mic placement) you can hear the soft top-end of the mic.

Old 5th January 2018
Old 5th January 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by cyjanopan View Post
There's new video from Warm Audio, sounds quite good

Warm Audio - WA-47 Video!
Vocal Chain: WA-47 Tube Mic >...
I would be happy with that sound - albeit having a little more high mids - in a denser mix but I am missing a more intimate organic sound on the vocal with just guitars accompanying. Probably just me but the vocal sounds slightly boxed in and not open... having never used a 47 I wouldn’t know if that is a normal trait but having listened to albums of singers using the 47 I wouldn’t think so. Personally I don’t feel this example shows the microphone in that context favorably. On the other hand maybe they could have mixed it differently.
I’m working almost exclusively with female vocalists and this mic - despite my criticism- seems like an interesting option as my Brauner VM1 - which I love - is just not doing it on some female vocalists.
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search