The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Analog Obsession releases "BUSTER V3"
Old 24th February 2018
Lives for gear

I think I have version 2 in my VST folder and it's going to stay there.

On the AO website all of the existing plugins have been categorised as "Legacy", which a new series ("Diamond", much to the annoyance of Acustica Audio).

It sounds like this new series will improve on things like filter warping at Nyquist etc - and maybe oversampling for the saturation, I dunno. I hope this doesn't mean that he is abandoning the existing range, because the ones I have show so much promise, Buster included/especially. He did say in another thread (the OAQ EQ release announcement thread?) that some of the existing plugins will continue development in the new 'Diamond' framework and that existing customers will get the upgrade for free - as they should. He just released the OAQ EQ in January and it would be criminal to abandon it a month later!
Old 22nd July 2018
Lives for gear

Thread dig!

I renamed the DLLs so i have V1, V2 and V3 side by side for a 3-way direct comparison. The input behaviour is vastly different between versions. Version 2 doesn't even start gain reduction at the same threshold setting as V1, without adding extra input gain. The Wet/Dry knob in V3 is welcome but the onset of gain reduction is now immediate and heavy.

It's kinda sad that the developer(s) essentially broke this plugin and walked away from customers (all plugins thrown in the "Legacy" bin)... It had so much promise. Here's hoping the 'Diamond' version addresses input behaviour issues.
Old 6th August 2020
Gear Nut
So there I was, bbq sauce on my t*****s, trying to shootout kazrog true dynamics, of all plugins. More precisely, trying to recreate it with other compressors. MJUC didn't really do it at all. Molot came close. Then OSS came even closer.

Enter BUSTER (v6.1.0)!! I had written this plugin off since it did not behave at all like my go-to SSL bus comp (IK's Bus Comp). The attack parameter does f***-all, and the release is weird, too. Having warmed up fully to Kolin and OSS, I've now seen the light on this really great compressor, too. Calling Deff J to the thread. Seems like its greatness has been lost in the shuffle of revisions and frustrated users. But it's actually doing the True Dynamics Presto thing and it sounds even a tiny bit better!

Did you v2 enthusiasts experience v6.1.0? I can't believe I wrote this one off. Information overload, I guess. CPU is high-ish but still within reasonable limits, and the sound is bangin'. Let the record show. Here lies BUSTER.
Old 7th August 2020
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirk Churlish View Post
So there I was, bbq sauce on my t*****s, trying to shootout kazrog true dynamics, of all plugins. More precisely, trying to recreate it with other compressors. MJUC didn't really do it at all. Molot came close. Then OSS came even closer.

Enter BUSTER (v6.1.0)!! I had written this plugin off since it did not behave at all like my go-to SSL bus comp (IK's Bus Comp). The attack parameter does f***-all, and the release is weird, too. Having warmed up fully to Kolin and OSS, I've now seen the light on this really great compressor, too. Calling Deff J to the thread. Seems like its greatness has been lost in the shuffle of revisions and frustrated users. But it's actually doing the True Dynamics Presto thing and it sounds even a tiny bit better!

Did you v2 enthusiasts experience v6.1.0? I can't believe I wrote this one off. Information overload, I guess. CPU is high-ish but still within reasonable limits, and the sound is bangin'. Let the record show. Here lies BUSTER.
Curious what settings you're using to get it to sound like Presto and how hard you're hitting it.

Thanks,
prof
Old 10th August 2020
Gear Nut
10:1 ratio, 0.8% sidechain, 55% mix, 30 ms attack, 0.2 release, oversampling on, pumping up to 13 dB of GR. Happened to sound a lot like a sound I had dialed in on stereo drum sample with the Presto. Snare sounded just as clear (OSS could not get the same clarity on the snare) and the stereo image on Buster was even a tiny bit better.
Old 10th August 2020
Lives for gear

this isn‘t a plugin I use for SSL style purposes but no other compressor adds this type of sustain as buster does. If you want to stretch/smear the decay of bassdrums or toms etc, try it. It works exceptionally great for that.
📝 Reply