The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
DMGAudio TrackComp
Old 21st May 2019
unr
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by oøt View Post
How do I find the public beta section?
Just append /publicbeta to their domain. Be sure to use the files from RC folder as there are different versions
Old 21st May 2019
Gear Addict

New models in the beta?
Old 21st May 2019
Gear Head

Looks like it’s out:

https://dmgaudio.com/trackcomp#history
Old 21st May 2019
Gear Maniac

Thanks unr and MagicLantern, installing now!
Old 21st May 2019
Lives for gear
I'm very interested in hearing everyone's thoughts on the updated 76 model. I'd hoped the demos were refreshed, but alas, I cannot try it out. If the consensus is that it sounds amazing now, I may ask Dave and Co. for another demo.
Old 21st May 2019
wow this has got so much better since I first tried it on release...
Old 4 weeks ago
Gear Maniac

don't have time to try the new 76d.

Is it ok ?

By the way, does someone has more contextual infos about the following lines in the history notes on the dmg site :

"- Oversampled output stage for 2A model
- Fix denormals in side chain EQ"

What does bring oversampled output stage to the 2A model ?

And which side chain EQ is it about ?
Old 4 weeks ago
Gear Maniac

The 76 model sounds very good now. No strange distortions or too much of it. For me no need to adjust bias, if not for a special effect. I'm no expert on 1176, have only used 1178 which is cleaner, but I really like this. Big improvement on the previous version! Track Comp is a very versatile and good sounding goto for me now. I always liked the layout of controls, especially concerning the gain structure. Very quick and flexible and all relationships displayed within the layout. Thanks DMG!

Edit: Only thing I wish for is a resizable gui. To my old eyes it's a tad small:-)
Old 4 weeks ago
Gear Head

The clicky distortion is gone! Or, at least, I have not been able to replicate it yet on the material that used to trigger it in the previous version.

At first blush the 76 sounds quite a bit different though. Can’t compare as I don’t have any old sessions that use it and I don’t think it’s accessible otherwise.

Will do more testing later in the week and report back.
Old 4 weeks ago
Gear Head

The update is not a subtle change. I did a side-by-side comparison with identical settings between 1.02 and 1.03. They sound radically different at low q-bias settings, almost like different compressors. I prefer 1.03 pretty much every time. It's also noticeably lighter on the CPU (3-4% vs. 6% on my system)
Old 4 weeks ago
Gear Head

The good news is it it does sound very good, I actually enjoy pushing the Q-Bias with this model.

The... other news is, how can these both be a model of the same compressor and which one of these is supposed to “match and replace hardware”?

I have to say this is kind of a weird situation especially given the complete radio silence from DMG. It’s not often anyone drops an update quietly that is so drastically different.
Old 4 weeks ago
Motown legend

There are pretty big differences in sound between different 1176s.
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by MagicLantern View Post
The good news is it it does sound very good, I actually enjoy pushing the Q-Bias with this model.

The... other news is, how can these both be a model of the same compressor and which one of these is supposed to “match and replace hardware”?

I have to say this is kind of a weird situation especially given the complete radio silence from DMG. It’s not often anyone drops an update quietly that is so drastically different.
Heya!

VERY relieved to hear you're enjoying the new 76 model!

So, v1.00->1.02 use a standard SPICE model for the FET, which as we've all clearly established is not accurate enough for what you can actually hear. In defence of the traditional SPICE models, they're perfectly good if you're using the FET as an analogue switch, which is the usual context. But not so here.

So I just lost about 4 months to replacing the FET model. And optimising like crazy. I ended up having to take 100,000,000 samples of the FET under different situations (that number is exact), in order to boil down the behaviour to generate this model. It's been intense and I've lost a lot of sleep to it, so it's a HUGE relief that you feel that this is an improvement.

In answer to your question - the original was supposed to be a replacement for the hardware, but as we discovered, my FET model was inadequate. I've now replaced it. It's really the only thing I've replaced (besides cranking up precision in some other places). This model, finally, after a huge period of test and development, actually does what the unit does (because I cheated and measured exhaustively).

Sorry for the radio silence. The reasoning is fairly simple - I'm doing a slow rollout of these updates (which includes updates to ALL plugins) just in case I've missed anything. The updates went live last week, I'm posting to forums now, and I'll mail the announcement list next week. Gives me more time to respond if anything weird shows up. Bugfixing is just me and Oli, so taking things slowly seems sensible! No confirmed issues found yet.

Again, sorry for being quiet with it all; my head's been in the code.

Dave.
Old 4 weeks ago
Gear Maniac

Hi mr Gamble

Cool to hear some good news...

I didn't have time to test the 76d intensively, but spending some time with it I've got the feeling that the nasty clicky saturation is completely fixed (saturation is very nice now)...
And yes, it sounds different from the previous one (not cleaner, just more analog and real). But who cares if everything is fixed...

There is just a strange thing with 76d, and I was very suprised to find the same behavior with the Arturia Fet-76 (I was comparing them side by side, with some random fender rhode chords and vocals) : the gain reduction doesn't follow the ratio !
More precisely : changing the ratio with the same exact settings, without auto gain engaged, I hear a change in sound (maybe a harder knee : with 20:1 it sounds more like a limiter) but the gain reduction follows a contradictory path, and bigger the ratio, louder the output...

Is it normal ? Am I missing something ?
It should compress more with higher ratio, no ?
Sorry if it's a noob question...

At first I was thinking it could be a bug from the 76d, but if the Arturia 76 is behaving the same, it should mean something I don't get about the "real" 1176.
Old 4 weeks ago
Gear Maniac

Another question : could you give us some more infos about the new oversampling feature of the la2a ?

It changes the sound quite dramatically. On vocals at least (didn't have time to test it somewhere else), it sounds brighter to me without HQ oversampling (which is a bit counter-intuitive).

So when and why to use it ?

By the way there is a nasty click when switching from oversampling to normal (even with no audio processed).

And what about "- Fix denormals in side chain EQ" in the history notes on your internet site ?
Which side chain EQ ?
From which compressor ?

I know you spent the last 4 months chained to a computer in a dark underground room, but it could be a killer option to add side-chain EQ to the DMG model ! I don't mean HPF and LPF, but a proper bell EQ...
I know it's hard : you give them a hand, and they want the arm (french expression) ! Fans are hard

Anyway, new version of TrackComp is absolutely great like that !
Old 4 weeks ago
Motown legend

The settings on hardware beyond simply more and less are virtually meaningless.
Old 4 weeks ago
Gear Head

The new 76D rocks.

Spent some quality time time with it over the weekend. I’ve never owned or used a real analog 1176 but I have tried all the other 1176 plugins (except the UAD), tested them all thoroughly and, for many years, was left unsatisfied. Most of them do one or two of the things I want them to, that I hear in my head, but none of them do all of them. This one does.

Smashing or controlling drums, warming up vocals, dirtying up piano. This is also the first plugin that does the 1176 acoustic guitar limiter thing with just the right balance, to my ears, of dirty and clean. It’s alive.

The Q-Bias control in this new model is magic. You can go from quite clean to grimey and distorted but it sounds great at every point in between.

It rocks and I love it. Great, great work, DMG!

Re: the 2A, I have also noticed some weirdness if the brightness is set to 100% and oversampling is on.
Old 3 weeks ago
Gear Head

Was just re-reading the manual and stumbled upon this bit describing the analog unit:

Quote:
If you disable compression and turn all the gains up, you can melt other pieces of kit with it
That’s not possible with the plug-in, is it?
Old 2 weeks ago
Gear Nut

Incredible work on the 1176

Vibe / energy / movement so strong and clickiness gone

Value is ridiculous - could replace and outclass 5 dedicated compressors

Genuinely considered workflow (with A/B, level matching and gain staging) that makes it so functional & workable

Can't really praise it enough, great job Dave
Old 2 weeks ago
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveGamble View Post
So I just lost about 4 months to replacing the FET model. And optimising like crazy. I ended up having to take 100,000,000 samples of the FET under different situations (that number is exact), in order to boil down the behaviour to generate this model. It's been intense and I've lost a lot of sleep to it, so it's a HUGE relief that you feel that this is an improvement.
Wow. So the FET element is some sort of wavetable? Does it have memory effects? Wondering why so many samples. How'd ya fit em all in?
Old 2 weeks ago
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calagan View Post

There is just a strange thing with 76d, and I was very suprised to find the same behavior with the Arturia Fet-76 (I was comparing them side by side, with some random fender rhode chords and vocals) : the gain reduction doesn't follow the ratio !
More precisely : changing the ratio with the same exact settings, without auto gain engaged, I hear a change in sound (maybe a harder knee : with 20:1 it sounds more like a limiter) but the gain reduction follows a contradictory path, and bigger the ratio, louder the output...
Changing the ratio in an 1176 affects the threshold of the compression.
Old 2 weeks ago
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by 235711131731 View Post
Wow. So the FET element is some sort of wavetable? Does it have memory effects? Wondering why so many samples. How'd ya fit em all in?
Samples to analyze the response of the hardware under various circumstances I’d say.
Old 2 weeks ago
currently demoing this and a couple others. ive been on the hunt for my go-to comp. lately i've just been using some stock ableton comps/glue comp.
this is def. a front runner so far.

do dmg plugs ever go on sale? the price seems fair for what you get, but it doesnt hurt to ask.
Old 2 weeks ago
TZk
Gear Addict

2A in oversampling gives me a pop/click when I hit play, even with no sound.
Latest version of logic and macos.

Sometimes the autogain is messed up. Just couldn't get it correctly in e-channel.
Just happened in this one song on toms however.
Old 6 days ago
unr
Gear Maniac

btw there are new beta builds available:

notable changes for TrackComp

Quote:
- TrackComp markers draw improved
- Improvements with discrete parameters drag/mousewheel in all plugins.
- New LA2A output stage with more accurate implementation of brightness (works correctly with oversampling)
- Re-added XP support
Quote:
Originally Posted by TriSoul View Post

do dmg plugs ever go on sale? the price seems fair for what you get, but it doesnt hurt to ask.
No, they only do ~10% intro sale the first month a plug is released. But they have up to 35% discount stacking when you own several of their plugins. + They have %50 off Edu discount.

All of this is answered in FAQs:

https://dmgaudio.com/support.php
Old 3 days ago
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by unr View Post
btw there are new beta builds available:

notable changes for TrackComp
When will be released the new version of TrackComp ?
Old 3 days ago
Here for the gear

Quote:
When will be released the new version of TrackComp ?
v1.03 - it’s here.
Old 3 days ago
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRTaylorMusic View Post
v1.03 - it’s here.
I was thinking about the next version, from the beta unr is talking about...
There is still some very minor issues with TrackComp 1.03.

Last edited by Calagan; 3 days ago at 06:02 PM.. Reason: precision
Old 3 days ago
Here for the gear

Quote:
I was thinking about the next version, from the beta unr is talking about...
There is still some very minor issues with TrackComp 1.03.
Gotcha...
You should find what you need here:
https://dmgaudio.com/publicbeta/
Sorry for confusing things due to my hurry! Cheers!
Old 2 days ago
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRTaylorMusic View Post
Gotcha...
You should find what you need here:
https://dmgaudio.com/publicbeta/
Sorry for confusing things due to my hurry! Cheers!
No pb. Thanks a lot for the info...

Apart from the TrackComp fixes unr is talking about, I found the following fixes for Equick in the general notes :
- Blurriness in EQuick fixed (minor issue, but nice fix)
- Option to disable VST Gestures in EQuick for Ableton Live issues

This last fix would be a great change in Equick : I use it with Live, and I can't use the snapshot option at all (which is great, with its 8 different slots) because of this "gesture" issue that makes any snapshot change very laggy...

The DMG plugins are sounding beautifully, but they don't have the same efficiency in the coding (at least on my setup), and sometimes can have some issues.
If I can compare them with another similar great company (Fabfilter), I think that DMG Audio plugins sound better (it's only my opinion, based on the plugins from both companies I'm using - I don't have them all) but are less fluid and transparent in the workflow because of some of these minor bugs...

Anyway, the day I bought Equick my mixing life changed... (in good ).
And since then, I'm very happy too with TrackLimit and TrackComp, that became my main tools for what they do (and I've got some others)...
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search