The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
New 1U real 1073? AMS Neve 1073SPX
Old 26th October 2017
Gear Maniac

New 1U real 1073? AMS Neve 1073SPX

Didn't see this anywhere.

https://ams-neve.com/posts/introduci...-neve-1073spx/

If the other site's info was correct, it's $2695.
Anyone know if this is smt like some of the other new Neve? If it's truly like the module in a 1U it's exactly what many have been looking for.
Old 26th October 2017
Gear Maniac
It was announced in this thread:

https://www.gearslutz.com/board/aes-...aes-booth.html

It's essentially a 1073N in a rackmount with an output trim and the ability to add a digital option card. There's also an insert loop that can be pre or post EQ.
Old 28th October 2017
SMT and uses a cheap power supply.

Not worth the asking price imo.
Old 1st November 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by DomiBabi View Post
SMT and uses a cheap power supply.

Not worth the asking price imo.
SMT?
Old 1st November 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by doom64 View Post
SMT?
SMT= Surface Mount Technology instead of leaded through hole components. That doesn't concern me as much as the OP comment about cheap power supply. That's a red flag for me. Power supplies really need to be reliable. Ah yes, I see they are using a wall wart. I do not find that preferable in Pro gear, but I understand the money saved will help keep cost down.

Last edited by soundrage; 1st November 2017 at 08:22 AM.. Reason: TYPO
Old 1st November 2017
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by soundrage View Post
SMT= Surface Mount Technology instead of leaded through hole components. That doesn't concern me as much as the OP comment about cheap power supply. That's a red flag for me. Power supplies really need to be reliable. Ah yes, I see they are using a wall wart. I do not find that preferable in Pro gear, but I understand the money saved will help keep cost down.
Surface Mount technology probably takes 10 minutes to stamp the board out another 10 minutes to assemble it then stick a cheap powersupply on it
Old 1st November 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by terrysound View Post
Surface Mount technology probably takes 10 minutes to stamp the board out another 10 minutes to assemble it then stick a cheap powersupply on it
For a $2,700 piece of hardware that is unacceptable. Completely unacceptable!
Old 2nd November 2017
Lives for gear

you're way better off with a top end clone - could do a Heritage system way cheaper and its more true to original than AMS Neve itself.
Old 2nd November 2017
Old 2nd November 2017
How the mighty have fallen. 😂
Old 4th November 2017
Gear Maniac

as I said we all know now we get it no more falling in the trap
they all just want our money but then give use bull sh in return
Old 5th November 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
as I said we all know now we get it no more falling in the trap
they all just want our money but then give use bull sh in return
This is for those who want lost-cost access to the original product sound. If you want "a real power supply" and hand-wired construction, they still offer it. You've just got to be able to afford it. Why would they kill their other (original) product line by offering the same for cheap?

Earn some money if you want the original design. This product taps a different market.
Old 5th November 2017
Although i dont't usually hate on SMT tech. This is unacceptable for this price class. With units like these maintenance is almost a must and SMT is a great pain when it comes to maintenance.
Old 6th November 2017
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by dopeboi View Post
Although i dont't usually hate on SMT tech. This is unacceptable for this price class. With units like these maintenance is almost a must and SMT is a great pain when it comes to maintenance.
And that's my point for a company like Neve to put out such a disgraceful product glorified on the outside and ask thousands of dollars for this rubish they should be ashamed this is my point we are all becoming wise just undo the screws take the lid off and look put the lid back on plug it in and listen to the sound you can't make music with this you can only make noise Mobile phone noise Mobile phone technology but they want thousands of pounds from these poor naive innocent Young people who have no idea,

These companies are all at it makes me sick,
However there are a lot of companies out there that's still make Quality just undo the screws have a look inside under the lid you don't even have to listen

You spend your thousands of pounds on all your bits connect them all together get top musicians round and your confused as to why the recording sounds so sh ttttt
llacking in weight and body soul depth, and it all just sounds confused no separation but all these companies have made the millions selling you equipment with mobile phone technology with not even a decent power supply or Power inlet socket. The whole thing just makes me sick
Old 6th November 2017
Gear Maniac

Take a company like microphone parts they offer brilliant amazing sounding microphones you make up yourself using the highest quality components in the world and it's really really cheap so if they can do it why are other companies taking the p sss
Old 6th November 2017
Gear Maniac

It would be better for Neve to sell us the unit with high quality components and a proper Power supply and inlet all as parts reduce the cost by Half and we make it up our self
Old 6th November 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
It would be better for Neve to sell us the unit with high quality components and a proper Power supply and inlet all as parts reduce the cost by Half and we make it up our self
And how do you know that they're not using high-quality components, or a "proper" power supply? And if they were to use the same construction techniques and power supplies as they do in their higher-priced products, how would they reduce the cost by half?

Have you, or anyone else who has so much to say about how horrible this box is, actually heard it?
Old 7th November 2017
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duardo View Post
And how do you know that they're not using high-quality components, or a "proper" power supply? And if they were to use the same construction techniques and power supplies as they do in their higher-priced products, how would they reduce the cost by half?

Have you, or anyone else who has so much to say about how horrible this box is, actually heard it?
When I make a dinner I know exactly how it's going to taste without even making the dinner based on the ingredients laid out beforehand for the dinner
Old 7th November 2017
Lives for gear

So, that's a "no"...especially since YOU are not the chef.
Old 7th November 2017
Lives for gear
Wow! did anyone listen to one of these yet?
Old 7th November 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
I disagreed with you on the Sony thread but on this one I can agree. At this price point AMS Neve should be ashamed of themselves. They must be making 800% profit!
Old 7th November 2017
Lives for gear

I would like to hear a A/B mic split test on drums and other things to hear this vs the other AMS neve units.
Old 8th November 2017
Gear Maniac

Look ill just say this you want to know how many artists producers Lost Recording deals publishing deals because they're in the studio using the equipment struggling trying to get the thing to sound right Recording and mixing tracking but the music sounded thin lacks depth lacks body lacks musicality soundstage lacks weight and all the mother fuc n companies making all this equipment Took the money and sold us **** Half of it didn't work and many times they sold us the name but all you have to do is undo the screws open the lid have a look inside then you realise why the sound wasn't there and then why you lost your publishing deal or lost that contract because the company said it ain't happening man don't sound good
Old 8th November 2017
Gear Maniac

Not at all a hardware component expert and I have no idea if this is the equivalent of an iPhone X in terms of profit pimpin' but if we assume the critics here are right; would it not be stupid of Neve to release such an inferior product and tarnish their brand just for profit?

Would be nice if someone who actually listens to this unit reports back from the conference......
Old 8th November 2017
AML. Hand wired. Uses top shelf parts. Great transformers. $1000

Bae: better build quality. Better transformer. Better power supply. Sameish price.

Chandler : hand wired. Super beefy power supply. Around same price.

It just doesn’t make sense to me why anyone would consider the AMS Neve a viable option.
Old 8th November 2017
Quote:
Look ill just say this you want to know how many artists producers Lost Recording deals publishing deals because they're in the studio using the equipment struggling trying to get the thing to sound right Recording and mixing tracking but the music sounded thin lacks depth lacks body lacks musicality soundstage lacks weight and all the mother fuc n companies making all this equipment Took the money and sold us **** Half of it didn't work and many times they sold us the name but all you have to do is undo the screws open the lid have a look inside then you realise why the sound wasn't there and then why you lost your publishing deal or lost that contract because the company said it ain't happening man don't sound good
...Blaming the mic preamp for losing a recording deal?

Next time, it would be advisable to purchase talent, or even effort. A little goes a long way.
Old 8th November 2017
Lives for gear

Is terrysound high on his own (power) supply??
Old 8th November 2017
Lives for gear

I, for one, do not welcome our new SMT overlords. Embarrassingly bad decision by AMS Neve if true and it's full SMT (could it be a mix of SMT and thru-hole?). Up there with Telefunken OEM microphone scandal. Shameless.

It's not about the sound, it's about reliability and repairs. For the price/name/legacy that's an embarrassingly shoddy production decision. Line the MBA's up against a brick wall.

Maybe it comes with a 10 year warranty?
Old 8th November 2017
Quote:
Originally Posted by Plush View Post
Is terrysound high on his own (power) supply??
He is sniffing the cork pretty hard,

Old 8th November 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by bowzin View Post
I, for one, do not welcome our new SMT overlords. Embarrassingly bad decision by AMS Neve if true and it's full SMT (could it be a mix of SMT and thru-hole?). Up there with Telefunken OEM microphone scandal. Shameless.

It's not about the sound, it's about reliability and repairs. For the price/name/legacy that's an embarrassingly shoddy production decision. Line the MBA's up against a brick wall.

Maybe it comes with a 10 year warranty?
AMS Neve has been making the SMT for long enough that this isn't anything new. Or a reliability issue. Seems like a lot of false outrage unless people really weren't aware (for almost 10 years now.)

1073 DPA - 2008 (mostly smd)
1073LB - 2011
1073N - 2013
1073 DPX - 2015
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search