The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
New 1U real 1073? AMS Neve 1073SPX
Old 8th November 2017
Lives for gear
Hold on pentagon, there's no room for common sense in this thread!
Old 8th November 2017
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by terrysound View Post
Look ill just say this you want to know how many artists producers Lost Recording deals publishing deals because they're in the studio using the equipment struggling trying to get the thing to sound right
You should send a bulletin out to all those owners of DPAs/DPXs ASAP! They're in such danger.
Old 8th November 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by pentagon View Post
AMS Neve has been making the SMT for long enough that this isn't anything new. Or a reliability issue. Seems like a lot of false outrage unless people really weren't aware (for almost 10 years now.)

1073 DPA - 2008 (mostly smd)
1073LB - 2011
1073N - 2013
1073 DPX - 2015
The LB gets a pass because it's 500-series, but I didn't know that about the others and admit to being somewhat disappointed to learn that. They love to talk about AMS Neve defining "world-class" but SMT preamps is not exactly reminiscent of world-class.

What special SMT process is AMS utilizing to negate concerns?

What value does SMT add for the discerning AMS Neve customer?

If they have an actual answer I'd be legitimately curious to hear it, other than "cutting costs" on a $2,500 unit. Engineer types love to argue there's no difference, it lowers noise floor .001%, yadda yadda but real-world... people want rugged thru-hole (or PTP).

Helps their high-end rivals differentiate in the marketplace.
Old 8th November 2017
Lives for gear

Cheaper price is the value added.

If you have $5k, you can buy the real thing ($4k + rack/psu) -- hand-wired, through hole, etc.
If you have $2.5k, you can buy a cheaper-to-make version.

The alternative is no $2.5k item at all and only the $5k option. $2.5k may be a lot for you but in the scale of Neve, it's the low-rung of their price ladder. This is them trying to sell to the "project studio" market who want a Neve 1073 but can't afford a "real" one.

What is so hard to understand about this? Feels like a Toyota buyer complaining about not getting a Lexus for Toyota cost. And then asking "where's the value for me." The value is you paid less. That can be a pretty good value. And the assumption is the AMS Neve engineers can put out a product that sounds 99% of the higher priced "real" version but manufactured cheaply.
Old 8th November 2017
Gear Maniac

For people like me it's more format than price. A real 1U Neve 1073 (brand and all) would sell and find its way into lots of studio racks. $3999 for a channel wouldn't be unreasonable.

There currently isn't an option. BAE is the closest. Never understood why they have the layout backwards, though.
Old 8th November 2017
Lives for gear
A thread about something nobody has listen to yet.
Old 8th November 2017
Lives for gear

Just taking the piss out of "Big Preamp"
Old 8th November 2017
Lives for gear

Neve s_cks anyway. API is where it's at.
Old 11th November 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Look ill just say this you want to know how many artists producers Lost Recording deals publishing deals because they're in the studio using the equipment struggling trying to get the thing to sound right Recording and mixing tracking but the music sounded thin lacks depth lacks body lacks musicality soundstage lacks weight and all the mother fuc n companies making all this equipment Took the money and sold us **** Half of it didn't work and many times they sold us the name but all you have to do is undo the screws open the lid have a look inside then you realise why the sound wasn't there and then why you lost your publishing deal or lost that contract because the company said it ain't happening man don't sound good
I do want to know how many times this has happened. I'd guess it has happened zero times.
Old 11th November 2017
MGA
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoreRec View Post
For people like me it's more format than price. A real 1U Neve 1073 (brand and all) would sell and find its way into lots of studio racks. $3999 for a channel wouldn't be unreasonable.

There currently isn't an option. BAE is the closest. Never understood why they have the layout backwards, though.
I think these will provide stiff competition to Neve: https://www.gearslutz.com/board/new-...te-series.html, particularly the HA-73 EQ ELITE at $899. Granted the HA-73 EQ ELITE you can't insert an AD card but if sound comparable to 1073SPX and other 10XX modules (vintage or reissue) you can buy 2 HA-73 EQ ELITE and still have change left over for a decent AD.
Old 11th November 2017
Gear Maniac

Eerily similar wording to this one "built to the specifications"...

This is probably indicative of what price difference exists going with smt instead. The Heritage 500 series pre plus EQ would be $1900. This combined smt version is $900. Roughly half price, with PSU.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MGA View Post
I think these will provide stiff competition to Neve: https://www.gearslutz.com/board/new-...te-series.html, particularly the HA-73 EQ ELITE at $899. Granted the HA-73 EQ ELITE you can't insert an AD card but if sound comparable to 1073SPX and other 10XX modules (vintage or reissue) you can buy 2 HA-73 EQ ELITE and still have change left over for a decent AD.
Old 11th November 2017
Gear Guru

Why SPX? My brain goes immediately to old Yamaha processors.
Old 23rd November 2017
Gear Maniac
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sounds Great View Post
Why SPX? My brain goes immediately to old Yamaha processors.
SPX - Single Preamp with eXtras
DPX - Dual Preamp with eXtras
Old 23rd November 2017
Gear Guru

Quote:
Look ill just say this you want to know how many artists producers Lost Recording deals publishing deals because they're in the studio using the equipment struggling trying to get the thing to sound right Recording and mixing tracking but the music sounded thin lacks depth lacks body lacks musicality soundstage lacks weight and all the mother fuc n companies making all this equipment Took the money and sold us **** Half of it didn't work and many times they sold us the name but all you have to do is undo the screws open the lid have a look inside then you realise why the sound wasn't there and then why you lost your publishing deal or lost that contract because the company said it ain't happening man don't sound good
Are you sure it wasn't your lack of punctuation that lost you the deal? I imagine that many people would find this kind of communication to be tedious.
Old 23rd November 2017
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by kafka View Post
I imagine that many people would find this kind of communication to be tedious.
To say the least. I'm only aware of the post because of the other poster's translations, I never bothered.
Old 24th November 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by kafka View Post
Are you sure it wasn't your lack of punctuation that lost you the deal? I imagine that many people would find this kind of communication to be tedious.
lol (literally)

but but music has no punctuation right

Kidding... maybe speech to text?
Old 27th November 2017
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by DomiBabi View Post
AML. Hand wired. Uses top shelf parts. Great transformers. $1000

Bae: better build quality. Better transformer. Better power supply. Sameish price.

Chandler : hand wired. Super beefy power supply. Around same price.

It just doesn’t make sense to me why anyone would consider the AMS Neve a viable option.
I haven't trusted AMS as a company for years.
the last disappointment for me was their last version 33609.cheaped out on design and components.I have no idea what transformers they used.sure weren't carnhill or marinaire.sonically couldn't hold a candle to the og version but they were charging a premium price for it.no thanks.

Last edited by RoundBadge; 27th November 2017 at 03:18 AM..
Old 27th November 2017
Lives for gear

I was very impressed with their 1081 Classic modules upon release
many years back. I owned a pair of originals and the newer models
by comparison were very impressive.

There seems to be so many of these 1073 type model reissues, it
seems to have quite a buzz around the number these days.

I hope somebody get's great pleasure from recording with one of
these models. The dealer's prices on cranky old original these days is beyond words..
Old 22nd January 2018
Lives for gear
Sound aside this thing looks great functionality wise, very flexible and well thought out (esp with add in convertor card).

Shame everyone seems to think it'll sound like junk but it sure does look useful almost ideal for what I've been looking for... Read the manual, the routing and ergonomics of use seem great!

But basically the same as the DPX released for years already? so that but in a single channel/cheaper. So any reviews or user feedback on the DPX 'tone' and sound would apply here I guess. Except the SPX also has some front panel improvements (if using the digital card) rather than around the back (the extra LEDs and selections it seems).

Neve 1073 DPX |

SOS has a full review of the SPX in their Jan 2018 issue.

What would be the best single channel AES PCI card to connect this to your computer? (rather that than firewire). Would use a benchmark DAC or something similar for actual monitoring out, but nice to see the D/A out for the neve for running tracks through the EQ if you want.

Still the same burr brown ADCs in this as the DPD?

I admit though that looks like one hell of a mark up based on the internals. They probably didn't cost more than $600 to make I bet.

Last edited by Pro5; 23rd January 2018 at 06:09 PM..
Old 24th January 2018
Lives for gear

What a pointless SOS review. Doesn't mention anything about the sound! Sorely disappointed.

Well anyways, I've had an SPX for a couple weeks now and am pretty happy. Mind you it's my first Neve ever so didn't know what to expect. I just put it up against my prism orpheus pre's, an ssl alpha channel, an A-Designs Ventura, and a VP25 api pre. Those are my only references!

- VP25 API 500 pre (good on acoustics and electrics, brings everything up front but does lack bottom end, slightly scooped mids. Fastest transients of the bunch)
- SSL alpha channel (fine, but boring, good bottom end, slightly veiled top end. Good low and mid band eq, high band a bit harsh. A bit slow)
- Ventura (good on acoustics, also on vocals, nice bottom end, but a little mid scoop and upper mid spike. Very upfront, but sometimes a weird phasey thing. Not a fan of the eq)
- Prism (good all round, but slightly boxy compared to the others)
- Neve 1073 (good on vocals and electrics, perhaps a bit too much colour on acoustics. Has a natural compression that I like. Definitely more growl and lower mids than the others. Love the mid and low band, not a huge huge fan of the high band and filter. Best combo of transients and warmth.)

All in all, I'm going to keep the Neve together with my prism and would look for an API in the future. Wouldn't mind the SSL either as an all round extra pre with a little eq touch up.

Last edited by nicolasmasset; 24th January 2018 at 04:10 PM..
Old 26th January 2018
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by nicolasmasset View Post
What a pointless SOS review. Doesn't mention anything about the sound! Sorely disappointed.

Well anyways, I've had an SPX for a couple weeks now and am pretty happy. Mind you it's my first Neve ever so didn't know what to expect. I just put it up against my prism orpheus pre's, an ssl alpha channel, an A-Designs Ventura, and a VP25 api pre. Those are my only references!

- VP25 API 500 pre (good on acoustics and electrics, brings everything up front but does lack bottom end, slightly scooped mids. Fastest transients of the bunch)
- SSL alpha channel (fine, but boring, good bottom end, slightly veiled top end. Good low and mid band eq, high band a bit harsh. A bit slow)
- Ventura (good on acoustics, also on vocals, nice bottom end, but a little mid scoop and upper mid spike. Very upfront, but sometimes a weird phasey thing. Not a fan of the eq)
- Neve 1073 (good on vocals and electrics, perhaps a bit too much colour on acoustics. Has a natural compression that I like. Definitely more growl and lower mids than the others. Love the mid and low band, not a huge huge fan of the high band and filter. Best combo of transients and warmth.)

All in all, I'm going to keep the Neve together with my prism and would look for an API in the future. Wouldn't mind the SSL either as an all round extra pre with a little eq touch up.

Thanks for the mini review. So out of all of those though you'd say the neve is your favourite? if you could only keep one?

If it was for primarily vocals... secondarily for bass and miked up electric guitar would you say the neve had the others beat on usefulness?

Will you be getting the digital add in board for it? For me that's why it would be very useful if the converters are as good as the DPD but includes A/D on the spx (like DPX I assume) so you can do a round trip completely with the neve and stay as pure as possible for using the eq etc on mix tracks to print through, also using the 'decent' DA on the way in in the first place (if you don't have even better converters of course)

Anyone know how these compare (pre amp wise) to the 500 series LB? I read somewhere the DPA/DPD/DPX and I assume the SPX were all slightly 'better' sounding than the 500 series, but the 500 series isn't SMD is it? If this is correct it may show that people might fear SMD too much if the quality of design is still there vs hand wired/through hole that may have 'lesser quality' in design in other ways?
Old 26th January 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pro5 View Post
I read somewhere the DPA/DPD/DPX and I assume the SPX were all slightly 'better' sounding than the 500 series, but the 500 series isn't SMD is it?
As I mentioned earlier in this thread, the 500 series version is SMD.
Old 27th January 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pro5 View Post
Thanks for the mini review. So out of all of those though you'd say the neve is your favourite? if you could only keep one?

If it was for primarily vocals... secondarily for bass and miked up electric guitar would you say the neve had the others beat on usefulness?
I'm not going get the digital io as I bet my prism converters will better as they are known for that! But yes, out of the ones I mentioned, the Neve is the nicest and most useful/toneful. The DI on it is nice and snappy for bass, a bit quicker in the attack than when I plug into my Reddi and then into the mic input.

For vocals definitely nice and smooth, vibey, but mind you, not as bright (open) as some of the other ones! It has a bit more mids, but it just sits well in the mix.

The eq is not the greatest for vocals, but for guitars and bass it's pretty good!

The mid band frequencies are supposed to be geniously chosen, but I haven't yet found use for all of them. Very sensitive eq gain though, a little boosts alot quick! And the gain knobs are not dented in the middle so it's sometimes tricky to get the one's you're not using truly to zero.

My unit has also had scratchy white knobs straight out of the box! Don't know if this is normal??
Old 28th January 2018
Lives for gear
Thanks both!

Maybe I'll just settle for a lone neve pre-amp then instead of with EQ. SM7B btw (with 1176). Have good ITB EQ (PSP E27 and slate custom EQ) that's worked OK so far on the SM7B post recording!
Old 30th January 2018
Lives for gear
I guess it seems the ONLY single non EQ pre-amp neve sells is in lunchbox/500 format? no single rackmounts? Hmmm. A double could come in handy but not for a premium, maybe a used one would be almost 'free extra pre' kinda cash. TBH I really liked the functionality and D.I etc on the SPX.

guess there's only one way to find out... buy and try!

(edit - Screw it: I'm going RND - either Shelford channel or Portico II)

Last edited by Pro5; 20th March 2018 at 03:54 AM..
Old 10th June 2018
Lives for gear

The Dpa I had sounded way better than the heritage audio rack though. Heritage rack sounded hard and thin
Old 4 weeks ago
Quote:

Now that it has been more than a year, how are you feeling about it? I'm considering one right now.
Old 3 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by richie0801 View Post
Now that it has been more than a year, how are you feeling about it? I'm considering one right now.
Still love it! AB’d it to a chandler tg2 and bae 1073mpf just recently as I needed a stereo unit and was contemplating getting the dual dpx.

The bae had a big and very seductive 3d ness about it, but it was a lot slower than the neve. Vocals were super smooth and had a finished feel to them, but it was harder to ‘hear’ the low end of the mix on drums and bass reamped through it. It smeared things down low. But it had a lot of air around the notes, very impressive. The unit I had had an issue that the level would drop and come back up randomly. And the Frankfurt musicmesse Bae guy had a fairly big ego, so I sent the unit back

The neve was infinitely punchier and tighter down low. Also more present highs. There’s perhaps a tiny bit of a spike in the 1-4K range but that is compared to the smoother bae. Doesn’t sound as big but you just hear everything clearly and balanced. Best allrounder although I wish it had a tiny bit more of the bae air around the sound, but with the neve’s clearer Frequency response curve. I did finally get around to sending it in for repair as one or two white buttons would crackle sometimes and let the audio drop aswell, but not as unpredictable as the bae. The bae would just do it by itself, with the neve I could disengage said button and it would go away.

The tg2 was as punchy but had a slightly stiffer feel and was slightly scooped in the mids with a slight top end boost, ideal for electric and acoustic guitars. Doesn’t have the compression and juice of the neve of bae but does have a top end you don’t really need to Eq and has a very articulate and airy sound to it.

So I bought the Tg2 for guitars, and will use the neve for bass and vocals

Last edited by nicolasmasset; 3 weeks ago at 10:02 PM..
Old 1 day ago
Quote:
Still love it! AB’d it to a chandler tg2 and bae 1073mpf just recently as I needed a stereo unit and was contemplating getting the dual dpx.

The bae had a big and very seductive 3d ness about it, but it was a lot slower than the neve. Vocals were super smooth and had a finished feel to them, but it was harder to ‘hear’ the low end of the mix on drums and bass reamped through it. It smeared things down low. But it had a lot of air around the notes, very impressive. The unit I had had an issue that the level would drop and come back up randomly. And the Frankfurt musicmesse Bae guy had a fairly big ego, so I sent the unit back

The neve was infinitely punchier and tighter down low. Also more present highs. There’s perhaps a tiny bit of a spike in the 1-4K range but that is compared to the smoother bae. Doesn’t sound as big but you just hear everything clearly and balanced. Best allrounder although I wish it had a tiny bit more of the bae air around the sound, but with the neve’s clearer Frequency response curve. I did finally get around to sending it in for repair as one or two white buttons would crackle sometimes and let the audio drop aswell, but not as unpredictable as the bae. The bae would just do it by itself, with the neve I could disengage said button and it would go away.

The tg2 was as punchy but had a slightly stiffer feel and was slightly scooped in the mids with a slight top end boost, ideal for electric and acoustic guitars. Doesn’t have the compression and juice of the neve of bae but does have a top end you don’t really need to Eq and has a very articulate and airy sound to it.

So I bought the Tg2 for guitars, and will use the neve for bass and vocals
Great thoughts, thanks! I have been thinking about getting one for my Martin dread, in hopes of it complementing that low end body. Sounds like it might be a good combo!
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search