The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
Unfiltered Audio Zip
Old 24th October 2017
Unfiltered Audio Zip

Reg $149.00 USD
Currently $99.00 USD

Calling Zip a compressor is like calling a Lamborghini a passenger car. It does neither one justice. Zip creates unique effects and solves thorny audio challenges in a flash, leaving traditional compressors in the dust.

Zip can provide both compression and downward expansion, switching between processors with one mouse click. Six Analysis modes—Amplitude, Quietness, Brightness, Darkness, Noisiness and Tonalness—spark compression or expansion depending on the signal level, frequency content or noise feeding Zip’s input. On bass guitar tracks, select Darkness mode to compress headroom-eating low notes while giving higher-pitched notes room to breathe. Using Noisiness mode, you can make Zip’s compressor clamp down only on overdriven electric guitar chords while leaving palm mutes on the same track loud and proud. Solving unusual audio challenges is child’s play for Zip.

Four envelope styles—Classic, Goopy, Quick and Extreme—modify Zip’s attack and release curves, tailoring them to your specific needs. Use Extreme’s lightning-fast response on drum room mics to explode the room’s ambience while simultaneously making the kick and snare sound tighter and punchier. On full mixes, Zip’s Classic style and High Pass filtering in the sidechain will make your mix’s bottom end thunder. Or use Goopy style to add vintage glue and density. Zip has many flavors.

For producing creative effects, Zip includes Unfiltered Audio’s flagship automatable modulation system. Eight different internal modulators, as well as a patch to an external ROLI Lightpad, can be used—up to six modulators at once—on most of Zip’s controls, with each modulator routed to as many destinations as you’d like using simple drag-and-drop technique. Using the modulators, you can easily create driving rhythmic effects that pulse in time with your music—without hassling with complicated external sidechain routing. Drag the square wave LFO’s virtual cable to the expander’s Threshold control to transform a static synth pad into a dynamic staccato keyboard part synched to your song’s tempo. Animate a lifeless synth track by patching Zip’s sawtooth LFO to the compressor’s Ratio knob, creating a Big Room EDM-style ducking effect that makes the synth swell in sync with the kick drum. Route the 16th-note Step Sequencer to Zip’s output gain to turn the plugin into a punchy Trance gate. Create a classic tremolo effect by patching the sine wave LFO to Zip’s output gain. The creative possibilities are endless.

For the final touch, Zip’s Color control lets you apply warm saturation, bright phase-modulated distortion, mangling bitcrushing or any of four 2-pole filters at the plugin’s output. Dial in a little bit of the vivid Contrast effect to fatten up female vocals and make drums pop. Two of Zip’s 2-pole filters are modulated by Analysis modes; use them in Noisiness mode on a synth track to make note attacks whipsaw its timbre. Patch Zip’s LFOs to the Color knob to create tempo-synched filter sweeps and pulsating distortion on guitar and keyboard tracks. Zip sculpts both dynamics and tone.

Smashing drums, supersizing vocals, and transforming a boring pad into a Trance anthem—Zip does it all!

FEATURES

Unique Analysis modes and state-of-the-art modulation system turn Zip’s compressor and expander into tools for creating riveting effects and solving difficult audio challenges
Six Analysis modes—Amplitude, Quietness, Brightness, Darkness, Noisiness and Tonalness—make Zip’s processors react more to signal level, frequency content or noise
Four envelope styles—Classic, Goopy, Quick and Extreme—modify Zip’s attack and release curves, providing a selection of four differently behaving compressor/expanders in one plugin
Unfiltered Audio’s flagship patchable modulation system provides eight different internal modulators, including ROLI Lightpad integration, allowing almost any of Zip’s controls to be easily modulated
Modulators include Sine, Sawtooth/Triangle and Square LFOs; Input Follower; Macro Control; Sample and Hold Noise; Step Sequencer; ROLI Lightpad; and Gain Reduction
Continuously variable Color control provides post-dynamics processing in seven modes, respectively offering phase-modulated distortion, soft saturation, bitcrushing, and four 2-pole pass filters (two of which feature cutoffs modulated by Zip’s Analysis modes)
Internal and external sidechains are equipped with High Pass and Low Pass filters and an Audition button for hearing the signal the detector acts on
Controls for wet/dry mix (for parallel compression), lookahead (affecting both sidechains), switchable peak or RMS detection, and automatic makeup gain
Informative real-time display graphically depicts the current threshold, ratio and knee, and shows multi-colored traces for sidechain, output and gain reduction levels
Old 24th October 2017
Gear Head

Thanks for posting! Josh and I will be watching this thread. Let us know if you have any questions!
Old 24th October 2017
Lives for gear

This is intriguing indeed. I must have a play, the possibilities are quite extensive.
Old 24th October 2017
Gear Head

I've been lucky to beta test this gem It's an absolute killer. This is compression on steroids taken far into creative sound design field. Great sound shaping tool. This is so deep it is scary. Big up Unfiltered Audio for creating this weapon. Pretty sure it will be an epic release.
Old 24th October 2017
Lives for gear

Always interested in what these fellas put out there.

Never dull.
Old 24th October 2017
Gear Head

Forward thinking developers...that's right. The modulation matrix implemented in this is just killer !
Quote:
Originally Posted by galaydees View Post
Always interested in what these fellas put out there.

Never dull.
Old 24th October 2017
Definitely checking this out. Looks interesting.
Old 24th October 2017
Lives for gear

Looks great! Knew I shouldn’t have spent my October voucher so hastily!
Old 24th October 2017
Gear Maniac

Unfiltered Audio should ditch the name and go with some “Crazy $#!T Audio” instead. Good job guys! Owner of all your plugins here, will be buying this one too.
Old 24th October 2017
Gear Nut

It looks awesome, but I'm scared of super complex plugins with two billion features. This is exactly why I didn't like Compassion.

Anyway, I can see this one could have many uses in sound design, but in my opinion, it's not really practical for everyday use. You know, finding the right settings can be crazy even with simple, straightforward compressors...

So, for me, no thanks. I can easily see myself spending ten hours tweaking a snare sound with Zip...Like my mixes didn't take long enough to finish already. lol

Anyway, it looks great and I'm sure lots of people will love it. It's just not my cup of tea. Good luck!
Old 24th October 2017
Gear Nut

Having beta tested this, I have a couple thoughts. The basic compression action (removing all modulation and bells and whistles) is fantastic. I would easily recommend this to a new engineer who just needed a solid compressor. The ability to grow into all of the insane things this processor does is where this plugin takes it to another level. I like my plugins on the simpler side, as complicated modulation and routing can be a headache for me. But the intuitive way Zip is laid out makes it super easy if you're in the right area tone wise, but just missing something you can't put your finger on, to switch a couple settings and find something awesome. I'd recommend demoing this one folks. It easily stands with the new big boys on the block (IMHO)!
Old 24th October 2017
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by lunarchris1 View Post
Having beta tested this, I have a couple thoughts. The basic compression action (removing all modulation and bells and whistles) is fantastic. I would easily recommend this to a new engineer who just needed a solid compressor. The ability to grow into all of the insane things this processor does is where this plugin takes it to another level. I like my plugins on the simpler side, as complicated modulation and routing can be a headache for me. But the intuitive way Zip is laid out makes it super easy if you're in the right area tone wise, but just missing something you can't put your finger on, to switch a couple settings and find something awesome. I'd recommend demoing this one folks. It easily stands with the new big boys on the block (IMHO)!
Thank you!

Building off of this, we used the Zip alpha and beta period to really tweak the design for the needs of professionals. We added in a lot of features (zoomable display, multiple Color algorithms), rearranged the interface, and tweaked all of the responses (AGC, Auto Threshold, Saturation, envelopes) based on reports from studio use.

We think the foundation of the plugin is an excellent compressor, and we can also vouch that Plugin Alliance wouldn't have let us release it unless it had some serious mojo

One other thing to note is that the complex modulation system is hidden by default. The regular interface is a typical compressor (Attack, Release, Threshold, Ratio, Knee, Lookahead, Sidechain Filter, Makeup, Mix) with the addition of a Color knob and a multi-mode Analysis selector. "Zip" isn't just a compression pun, but also a name that emphasizes how quick this is for dialing in the right mix settings.
Old 24th October 2017
Lives for gear

This is a really great, and interesting compressor! As others have said if you were to take away the fun stuff it would still be a really great sounding compressor. The envelopes intrigue me. The extreme and classic are exactly what I'd expect, but the quick really surprised me with it's release. For it's given release setting it has a very long and smooth curve. I half expected that from goopy, but thats quite fast in the release compared to quick mode. Goopy mode really reveals itself with a slow attack. Interesting stuff!
Old 24th October 2017
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twrogstudio View Post
This is a really great, and interesting compressor! As others have said if you were to take away the fun stuff it would still be a really great sounding compressor. The envelopes intrigue me. The extreme and classic are exactly what I'd expect, but the quick really surprised me with it's release. For it's given release setting it has a very long and smooth curve. I half expected that from goopy, but thats quite fast in the release compared to quick mode. Goopy mode really reveals itself with a slow attack. Interesting stuff!
Good catch! This is actually something that I wish we explained better with the labels and tooltips. I'll add more info on the next release but basically "goopy" means that the attack is slow (goopy) but the release is normal whereas "quick" means that the attack is normal but the release is much much slower. Kind of like, "gets there quickly but takes forever to go back." Extreme means they're both much faster than normal.

Side note: I ended up with a TON of abandoned algorithms for changing basic nature/shape/behavior of the envelopes that haven't been fully fleshed out. Perhaps we'll be able to add them in a (session-incompatible) update.
Old 24th October 2017
Gear Addict

Interesting stuff!
Lots of innovations!
Is the compressor similar to SpecOps?
Old 24th October 2017
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mastering7 View Post
Interesting stuff!
Lots of innovations!
Is the compressor similar to SpecOps?
Very different! The compressor in SpecOps is a group of many parallel compressors, each acting on one frequency band. The heart of Zip is a more analog-style compressor, where one compressor acts upon the entire signal.

In Amplitude mode, Zip acts like a typical compressor. Once you change the Analysis mode, you can make Zip compress the signal based off of qualities like Brightness. Finally, there's a Color stage that allows you to filter or distort the wet output.
Old 25th October 2017
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by unfilteredaudio View Post
Very different! The compressor in SpecOps is a group of many parallel compressors, each acting on one frequency band. The heart of Zip is a more analog-style compressor, where one compressor acts upon the entire signal.

In Amplitude mode, Zip acts like a typical compressor. Once you change the Analysis mode, you can make Zip compress the signal based off of qualities like Brightness. Finally, there's a Color stage that allows you to filter or distort the wet output.
Thanks for the info!
Old 25th October 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by amusesmile View Post
Good catch! This is actually something that I wish we explained better with the labels and tooltips. I'll add more info on the next release but basically "goopy" means that the attack is slow (goopy) but the release is normal whereas "quick" means that the attack is normal but the release is much much slower. Kind of like, "gets there quickly but takes forever to go back." Extreme means they're both much faster than normal.

Side note: I ended up with a TON of abandoned algorithms for changing basic nature/shape/behavior of the envelopes that haven't been fully fleshed out. Perhaps we'll be able to add them in a (session-incompatible) update.
Glad to know I wasn't going mad . I think that would be a great idea re the other envelopes. I really like how the different envelopes react when combined with the different input modes. The variations are virtually unlimited.

My only gripe is it would be nice if the AGC included the colour control. It's a nit pick, sorry . Also, I'm not sure if it's my ears, but is the lookahead rolling off the top end?
Old 25th October 2017
kdm
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by lunarchris1 View Post
Having beta tested this, I have a couple thoughts. The basic compression action (removing all modulation and bells and whistles) is fantastic.
I am quoting because my comment is identical. Zip has already made its way into several projects here.
Old 25th October 2017
Plugin Alliance / Brainworx

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twrogstudio View Post
Also, I'm not sure if it's my ears, but is the lookahead rolling off the top end?
I don´t *know* this as this plugin was not designed by me, but I can imagine that a longer lookahead catches more early transients, and that could sound slightly darker, as you catch some of the really fast and harsh stuff and tame it this way...

Dirk.
Old 26th October 2017
Lives for gear

How long does the intro price last ?

Old 26th October 2017
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gemylon View Post
How long does the intro price last ?
The email says November 30.
Old 26th October 2017
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by brainrox View Post
I don´t *know* this as this plugin was not designed by me, but I can imagine that a longer lookahead catches more early transients, and that could sound slightly darker, as you catch some of the really fast and harsh stuff and tame it this way...

Dirk.
Yes, the lookahead is purely adding a delay between analysis and output, so I believe the LPF effect you're hearing is a result of transient response. If you're in brightness/darkness mode then this would make even more sense, since it's trying to duck out the bright/dark points so the speed at which it responds will change the overall "filtering" created by the ducks.

Also, an important point is that when you're in FFT modes (brightness/darkness/noisiness/tonalness) in order not to introduce latency, we're really analyzing everything one FFT buffer behind, so adding lookahead to make it line up can be an important step. I always just tune it by ear but in an update I would like to add a little mark on the lookahead knob to "suggest" a good setting when in these modes (it's always 1024 samples, so ~23ms @ 44100 plus whatever additional lookahead you want to use). Sometimes analyzing behind the beat works out just fine or creates a cool unintended effect, so this isn't a hard rule but can explain why sometimes brightness mode actually seems to make it brighter (when it should actually be ducking the brightness and make it sound darker).
Old 26th October 2017
Lives for gear
Late to the party. I assumed wrong about what this plugin was all about. Really great versatile compressor.
Old 28th October 2017
Gear Head

Very cool! I love Spec Ops so I'll be checking this out. Can someone speak to the use of the mod matrix in the context of compression? I don't usually think of compression settings as things that need to be modulated, so I am intrigued by this.
Old 2nd November 2017
Lives for gear

I’m confused. I can’t seem to get it to .zip any of my files!! Haha!!
Old 2nd November 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by simon.billington View Post
I’m confused. I can’t seem to get it to .zip any of my files!! Haha!!
Get outta here dad I'm playing with my friends!!!
Old 4th November 2017
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smapti View Post
Very cool! I love Spec Ops so I'll be checking this out. Can someone speak to the use of the mod matrix in the context of compression? I don't usually think of compression settings as things that need to be modulated, so I am intrigued by this.
Drones or any strange effect yo like.
Old 4th November 2017
Gear Nut

Is there a demo version?
Old 4th November 2017
Quote:
Originally Posted by gtracs View Post
Is there a demo version?
Yes it's on Plugin Aliance page just install it then when it checks for a licence it will ask if you want to demo instead.
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search