The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Sony C-100 Hi-Res Mic
Old 20th October 2017
Lives for gear

Sony C-100 Hi-Res Mic

https://blog.sony.com/press/sony-hit...-notes-at-aes/

I just demoed this thing at AES. It sounds amazing! It's sort of like a solid state C800G. All they'd say is that it's coming out next year and the price point will be much lower than the 800G.

Last edited by Lando Calrissian; 20th October 2017 at 01:53 PM..
Old 20th October 2017
Lives for gear

Anybody taking bets on how long Sony will support these if they ever see production?
Old 20th October 2017
They do with the c800g, why not with a new product?
Old 20th October 2017
Lives for gear

Cool! The capsules looks a little like the Sanken CU41
Old 20th October 2017
Interested to hear/try/buy this mic!!
Old 20th October 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by heraldo_jones View Post
They do with the c800g, why not with a new product?
Sony has abandoned pro audio other than wireless & Lav's so often it's laughable, last I head there was little or no support for 800.
Old 20th October 2017
Lives for gear

How much cabbage?
Old 20th October 2017
Lives for gear

Speculating from the pic - it looks like it has two capsules (a large and a small). Would be cool to have a mic that blends a small fast capsule with a slower large one.
Old 20th October 2017
Lives for gear

They are saying the crossover is at 25kHz!
Old 20th October 2017
Lives for gear

Josephson C700. Years ago. Quite wonderful, IMHO.
Old 21st October 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gravity8058 View Post
How much cabbage?
Looks like they'll announce that at winter namm, for now they've only said they're going to be "reasonably priced", they will cost less than the C-800G and people'll be able to buy them.

I very much hope so, my own performances would improve at least 200% if I had a sony mic, I'm sure
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peller View Post
They are saying the crossover is at 25kHz!
Now that has me pretty confused, what would the use of that be?
If anybody has any ideas they're very welcome...
Quote:
Originally Posted by burp182 View Post
Josephson C700.
Yeah but this seems to work in a completely different way, unless the guy at AES didn't now what he was talking about.

I supposed the two capsule had a crossover of around 800Hz so to get a more consistent (in frequency response) directional pickup pattern, but this is curious to say the least.

Can't wait to hear them and see how they are really.
Old 21st October 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by spambot_2 View Post
Now that has me pretty confused, what would the use of that be?
If anybody has any ideas they're very welcome...
Well, Sony says the frequency response of the mic is 20Hz to 50kHz. It looks like mic has two capsules. The first capsule might capture 20Hz to 25kHz and the smaller capsule might capture 25kHz to 50kHz.
Old 22nd October 2017
Lives for gear

When? I'm sold!
Old 22nd October 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by ionian View Post
Well, Sony says the frequency response of the mic is 20Hz to 50kHz. It looks like mic has two capsules. The first capsule might capture 20Hz to 25kHz and the smaller capsule might capture 25kHz to 50kHz.
I phrased my question badly.
What I meant to ask was, what's the point of having two separate capsules, one of which records stuff from 25k to 50kHz?
Or, more in general, what's the point in being able to record stuff up to 50kHz?
I might see the point if the capsule was only one, designed to have less distortion possible, so that the high roll off would start at a frequency much higher than the audible range and the possible comb filtering-like distortion possibly associated with it would not be heard, but two capsules like these... ?
Old 22nd October 2017
MGA
Gear Addict

Quote:
I phrased my question badly.
What I meant to ask was, what's the point of having two separate capsules, one of which records stuff from 25k to 50kHz?
Or, more in general, what's the point in being able to record stuff up to 50kHz?
I might see the point if the capsule was only one, designed to have less distortion possible, so that the high roll off would start at a frequency much higher than the audible range and the possible comb filtering-like distortion possibly associated with it would not be heard, but two capsules like these... ?
This might answer your question: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=McoUl8A0uP0
Old 22nd October 2017
Lives for gear

Sadly that does not.

I mean, the guy talks about "capturing all the overtones and harmonics" and so on and so forth, but that doesn't really mean anything, at least that I can see a purpose in.
Or, if I'm missing something, please tell me what it is because I'm not getting it at this rate.
Old 22nd October 2017
Lives for gear

Ok, just gimme a „C-50“ (or would that be C-75?) that only has the LDC and costs only 50-75% of the *reasonable* price.
Oh, and I f‘ing hate marketingspeech.
Old 23rd October 2017
Here for the gear

It is coming in January 2018 to the market. Price will be .... lower than you aspect for such a mic.
Old 23rd October 2017
Lives for gear

I don't want to sound argumentative for the sake of it, but a price lower than I'm expecting for such a mic may well still be too high for it
Still, I'm very curious, and still, if someone has any idea why they would use two capsules with a 22kHz crossover, I'll be very grateful if you'd share them.
Old 23rd October 2017
To those that are comparing this to the Josephson. It appears to be a cardioid capsule in the Sony. The Josephson C700A uses a Figure of Eight for its front facing pressure-gradient cap. This unit housing a cardioid and omni is interesting to say the least. Personally, there is no way on earth I would buy this over the Josephson C700A.
Old 23rd October 2017
Gear Nut
The real question is what reasonable means for Sony...599$? 1999$? 4999$ (50% of C-800G price)?

Who knows, Sony is weird.
Old 23rd October 2017
Lives for gear

Doc, the polar patterns are switchable on this mic, also to fig-8, where are you getting the fact that this mic employs a cardioid and an omni capsule?
Old 23rd October 2017
Quote:
Doc, the polar patterns are switchable on this mic, also to fig-8, where are you getting the fact that this mic employs a cardioid and an omni capsule?
I just watched the booth dude explain it and I completely lost any interest.
Old 23rd October 2017
Lives for gear

The youtube video posted in this thread though doesn't say anything like that, so if you're in NY and the guy said different things than in the video, than we have a chance the mic works in a sensible manner instead of using a small diaphragm capsule for ultrasounds.
Plus even just looking at the mic body you'd see that it has a polar pattern selector switch, and one can't obtain a fig-8 pattern from a single cardioid and a single omni, so let us hope the guy at the booth was misinformed on how the mic works...
Old 24th October 2017
Lives for gear

Notoriously, I'm always looking to improve my rap vocal chain.

U87Ai > 1073 DPA > CL1B has been working well for me.

I wonder if this C-100 has the potential of replacing my U87.
Old 24th October 2017
Lives for gear

I'm standing by to hear it.

Maybe it will be good??
Old 25th October 2017
Gear Head

I work for the Benelux distributor of Sony.
Pricing will be below 2000$ / 2000€ but is not fixed yet.

Available first quarter of 2018.

Made in the same factory as the C800g and C38 (which are still in production FYI).
They borrowed the two-part metallic body structure from the C-800G which prevents acoustic vibration.

There will also be 2 pencil mics, a cardio (ECM-100U) and an omni (ECM-100N). Same size capsule as the small one in the C100.

Why 50kHz?
Sony has a whole range of Hi-Res products, headpĥones, music players, etc. But they felt there was a lack of microphones with extended frequency response in the market.
These microphones are a joint venture of the Sony Pro guys (c800g, wireless systems, etc.), and the Sony Audio guys (hi-end consumer headphones, music players)

That's all I can share for the moment.
Old 25th October 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by vlammie View Post
I work for the Benelux distributor of Sony.
Pricing will be below 2000$ / 2000€ but is not fixed yet.

Available first quarter of 2018.

Made in the same factory as the C800g and C38 (which are still in production FYI).
They borrowed the two-part metallic body structure from the C-800G which prevents acoustic vibration.

There will also be 2 pencil mics, a cardio (ECM-100U) and an omni (ECM-100N). Same size capsule as the small one in the C100.

Why 50kHz?
Sony has a whole range of Hi-Res products, headpĥones, music players, etc. But they felt there was a lack of microphones with extended frequency response in the market.
These microphones are a joint venture of the Sony Pro guys (c800g, wireless systems, etc.), and the Sony Audio guys (hi-end consumer headphones, music players)

That's all I can share for the moment.
Under $2000!? I can't wait to test this thing again through my pre and comp. I hope it's good!
Old 25th October 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by vlammie View Post
...50kHz?
Its a Batphone.

..as in good for recording bats.
Old 25th October 2017
Lives for gear

Does that mean Sony will be pushing for a widespread hi-res consumer audio format?
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search