The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Sony C-100 Hi-Res Mic
Old 7th November 2020 | Show parent
Gear Nut
I don't know much about your sound. I think it is hiphop/ crossoverstuff? I never heard the manley. But I recommend getting a c-100, a neve 1073 lb/ bae/ stam and a klark teknik kt-2a for the money of an ref-c and call it a day. I bought so much stuff and sold as well and this is the chain I ended up with. I think it is the best rap vocal chain I can get for 3000€... depending on your room and voice of course
If you want my/ our opinion just post files and ill be happy to judge the mics depending on your voice.
Old 8th November 2020 | Show parent
Gear Maniac
Quote:
Originally Posted by Griffo View Post
I don't know much about your sound. I think it is hiphop/ crossoverstuff? I never heard the manley. But I recommend getting a c-100, a neve 1073 lb/ bae/ stam and a klark teknik kt-2a for the money of an ref-c and call it a day. I bought so much stuff and sold as well and this is the chain I ended up with. I think it is the best rap vocal chain I can get for 3000€... depending on your room and voice of course
If you want my/ our opinion just post files and ill be happy to judge the mics depending on your voice.
Thanks for your tip man
I wanna stay annonymous on here though.
I work a lot with my apollo twin x and uad plugins gettin the neve 1073 as hardware was also an idea but I read a lot about the uad unison 1073 is very close to this so I'm not sure about this but its still an option. What do you think about this?
I missed my chance to get a tube tech preamp for 1,6k. It was an older product which is out of stock now.
The Ref C is a good mic. But it has its cons.

Which neve 1073 version do you use?
Gear Nut
I think getting a real preamp is the way to go. If you can test one do it. I think emulations are very good these days. But tracking with hardware is still amazing to me. I started with Tlm 102 into audient id22 preamps with a bad room... I hated that sound but I could work with it. Now I have to do almost nothing to the recorded files...
Don't know about US prices but I would always get an good mic and preamp combo over a great mic (for the same money) straight into interface combo. Just my 2 cents.
Gear Maniac
Quote:
I think getting a real preamp is the way to go. If you can test one do it. I think emulations are very good these days. But tracking with hardware is still amazing to me. I started with Tlm 102 into audient id22 preamps with a bad room... I hated that sound but I could work with it. Now I have to do almost nothing to the recorded files...
Don't know about US prices but I would always get an good mic and preamp combo over a great mic (for the same money) straight into interface combo. Just my 2 cents.
hmm you've mentioned the la2a hardware I think I don't need it since I love the UAD plugin a lot and want to compress in my DAW anyway but I think about gettin the Neve preamp or save up for a Tube Tech preamp.
Which one you use the golden age one or the morey pricey one for around 1k?
Gear Nut
Right now stam 1073-500 with sowter or a neve 1073 lb. Had the golden age premiere for a long time... wasn't my cup of tee.
Tracking with hardware comp is awesome... but you need a good room otherwise it is pulling up all the dirt
Gear Maniac
Quote:
Right now stam 1073-500 with sowter or a neve 1073 lb. Had the golden age premiere for a long time... wasn't my cup of tee.
Tracking with hardware comp is awesome... but you need a good room otherwise it is pulling up all the dirt
AMS Neve 1073LB would be the one if I go this route for under 1k.
Gear Nut
Great choice for a preamp... c-100 and neve 1073 over manley ( from files if heard) into interface preamp every day for me.
Gear Maniac
Quote:
Great choice for a preamp... c-100 and neve 1073 over manley ( from files if heard) into interface preamp every day for me.
yeah, but maybe my uad chain will be good enough for me. It also makes me more mobile.
Gear Nut
Quote:
Originally Posted by Geenie View Post
yeah, but maybe my uad chain will be good enough for me. It also makes me more mobile.
Noooooo... you digged to much into the rabbit whole yet. Welcome to gearslutz.com
Gear Maniac
Quote:
Noooooo... you digged to much into the rabbit whole yet. Welcome to gearslutz.com
I was into UAD before I registerd here, lol but yeah testing a hardware preamp should be a goal in the next time.
Old 8th November 2020
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Hardware pre and compressor. I’m only saying this because I think it’s an important piece but also because you are obsessing over these mics without even worrying about pres and compressors.

I will say as a ref c user that the more I use it, the more it’s hit or miss. This is per song. Even the same artist but different songs it’s hit or miss. Sometimes it works and fits in the mic but others it just stands out for some reason and doesn’t mesh. This is where having a u87 works because that’s the next mic to use. I actually sold my u87ai for an aa87 and I’m happy with it.

I use a vintech X73 and a ua 1176. I have an isa and a dbx too if needed. And yes I have an apollo but rarely use the unison stuff.

I also get mixes from rappers where they are using cheap mics and direct to an interface and I get really dynamic takes. I usually run them through the hardware on my side.
Old 8th December 2020
Here for the gear

FYI this mic is on sale right now for $999 at ZenPro with the code SONY999.
Old 8th December 2020 | Show parent
Gear Maniac
Quote:
Originally Posted by d2dsf View Post
FYI this mic is on sale right now for $999 at ZenPro with the code SONY999.
Now that's really a reach, I'm in europe though. I'm not sure if extra costs will come with it. (taxes etc.)
Old 2 weeks ago
Gear Maniac
I purchased my Sony C100 NEW on the 30th of December and recieved at on January 4th. In times like these its super fast. Think about it they had to send it from the USA to Europe! Here in Europe the mic is 1300euro at best and 1450 at bigger retailers. Thanks to @ d2dsf I paid 1078euro which includes shipping (60euro) taxes (157euro) and paypal exchange rate (around 43euro) So I saved almost 250euro! There's also only a 100euro difference between this and the aa cm800t so its more than great for me.
Time will tell how this will fit into my music but I'm confident it will give me great results. Its sucha clean mic and really hard to get harsh.

I already think about gettin the Avalon V5 Black Preamp or the Tube Tech PM1A Preamp. Maybe you guys can help me with that. I know @ Paul G liked it the most with the Tube Tech. But is this cheaper PM1A version good enough? And how about the Avalon V5?
Old 2 weeks ago | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Congratulations! I feel the important thing if you are going for the C800G sheen is to run it through tubes. I only used the Tubetech because it was there ready, not because I favour it over other pre amps, it does sound great for the money though.....
Gear Nut
I think the Avalon is pretty clean. The tubetech stuff is meant to be used in their own lunchbox system if iam right?
I would look into the la capelle 583s. This seems the cheapest high quality option.
Otherwise look at neve 1073lb or bae 1073 rack version.
Lives for gear

5 Reviews written
🎧 15 years
Tube-Tech PM1A is excellent but it is discontinued. Seek a used Tube-Tech MP1A perhaps.

PM1A is the same tube preamp as in the MP2A (current model.)
Gear Maniac
Quote:
Originally Posted by Plush View Post
Tube-Tech PM1A is excellent but it is discontinued. Seek a used Tube-Tech MP1A perhaps.

PM1A is the same tube preamp as in the MP2A (current model.)
I don't wanna pay more than 1600euro so maybe I have to buy fast cause its like you said discontinued...from all I've read this thing tames your Sses a little bit.
Gear Maniac
Quote:
I think the Avalon is pretty clean. The tubetech stuff is meant to be used in their own lunchbox system if iam right?
I would look into the la capelle 583s. This seems the cheapest high quality option.
Otherwise look at neve 1073lb or bae 1073 rack version.
Thanks will check those things within the next days.
Old 6 days ago | Show parent
Gear Maniac
Quote:
Originally Posted by Geenie View Post
I purchased my Sony C100 NEW on the 30th of December and recieved at on January 4th. In times like these its super fast. Think about it they had to send it from the USA to Europe! Here in Europe the mic is 1300euro at best and 1450 at bigger retailers. Thanks to @ d2dsf I paid 1078euro which includes shipping (60euro) taxes (157euro) and paypal exchange rate (around 43euro) So I saved almost 250euro! There's also only a 100euro difference between this and the aa cm800t so its more than great for me.
Time will tell how this will fit into my music but I'm confident it will give me great results. Its sucha clean mic and really hard to get harsh.

I already think about gettin the Avalon V5 Black Preamp or the Tube Tech PM1A Preamp. Maybe you guys can help me with that. I know @ Paul G liked it the most with the Tube Tech. But is this cheaper PM1A version good enough? And how about the Avalon V5?
I have to correct myself here. I paid 1105,- now. UPS sent me an additional payment. These suckers. It really was a bad suprise. Well, but still 200,- less than the cheapest price and 340,- less as the normal price.
📝 Reply