The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Sony C-100 Hi-Res Mic
Old 3 weeks ago
Lives for gear

On the topic of how it compares to the C800g:

I finally have bought a C800G half a year ago, had it perfectly serviced and got to learn it´s strength and character on vocals over many months.
Then I bought a C100 (again) to find out how much or not it can be a "replacement" to me (!) for the C800G - as I found the former comparisons from other people very confusing, as the variance of the difference (or sometimes lack thereof) was huge. I simply could not come to a conclusion.

So here are my findings after recording a bunch of different voices with the two mics (set to cardioid only), all expressions of my subjective, personal opinion:

The C100 is a solid vocal mic, the C800G is a phenomenal vocal mic.

The frequency balance is not that similar. My C800G has a noticeably fuller bass, a more smoothed out but very natural midrange and an airy, open top. The C100 has a less "sexy" bass and a focus on the "wooden" midrange that reminds me of more "typical" LDC mics (it reminded me of Audio Technica LDC midrange) and the top sounds slightly more "like a recording" as opposed to the C800G, which to me sounds extended to infinity.

My C800G seems to sound better and more consistent when the source gets off axis/moves. I think the C100 sound changed more with distance and angle variation.

In a pop mix context the C800G mostly needed a low cut to get sub area plosives out and a de-esser after compression. 95% of all times: Perfect modern vocal. Sexy, intimate, beautiful, bells and whistles. I have rarely used another "preset sounding" mic that seems to need so little EQ to sound fantastic on pretty much any vocalist. In comparison the C100 was definitely a good mic for vocals as well, but I found myself reaching for the EQ everytime. Just like with most other LDC mics from AKG to Neumann to Slate VMS to Blue to whatever. Trying to fix a certain midrange bump. Trying to find a spot to boost for "life" and air. Trying to make the bass "sexier". Etc.

So, my personal (!) conclusion is clear. I see the C100 for vocal application in the same ballpark as the other upper class studio mics, with it´s own (and different) sonic imprint. 414, U87ai, AT4050 etc come to mind and dozens of others. I do not consider it as a replacement of a well serviced, up to spec C800G. In fact, I got much closer to the C800G sound using my Slate VMS with the FG-800M setting plus one instance of Equilibrium using two bands in the bass area.

And yes, I have used all sorts of preamp combinations while doing these tests to see if there is a transformation potential, with very limited success. 3 types of tube preamps, 3 types of Neve preamps, Chandler TG, plus some neutral solid state preamps. While some imposed their character on the signal, not one was able to turn things around. I could not get the same something I was hearing on the C800G to appear in the C100 by preamp choice - but some made the (subjectively speaking) weaknesses less and some made them more prominent, especially the high frequency "life". Some of my favourite matches for the C100 were the 1073lb and the TG2-500, it did not match that well with a 737.

EDIT: just to make it clear, those are not huge differences we are talking about. It´s about the last 15% we are talking about, as usual. I could happily use any mics I named for any vocal, no worries.

Last edited by WunderBro Flo; 3 weeks ago at 10:22 AM..
Old 3 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Watch out for the shock-mount it’s rather fragile.
It was on a mic stand and it tilted hit the wall (not very hard) and it snapped. Sony quoted 211.00 dollars for a replacement. I super glued it, but will eventually have to shell out the cash for a replacement.
Attached Thumbnails
Sony C-100 Hi-Res Mic-f37469ff-6e35-4a9c-a399-100148bef742.jpg   Sony C-100 Hi-Res Mic-28e5717a-a83e-4a38-ab25-71d8aa5678bf.jpg  
Old 3 weeks ago
Quote:
Originally Posted by bleep View Post
Watch out for the shock-mount it’s rather fragile.
It was on a mic stand and it tilted hit the wall (not very hard) and it snapped. Sony quoted 211.00 dollars for a replacement. I super glued it, but will eventually have to shell out the cash for a replacement.
I'd replace it with a Rycote shockmount then.
211 dollar for that shockmount is not even funny. Even less that it doesn't withstand studio (not museum) use.
Old 3 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Yeah should be like 50 bucks max. Maybe if it was made out of metal, graphite, etc..
Old 3 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by WunderBro Flo View Post
On the topic of how it compares to the C800g:

I finally have bought a C800G half a year ago, had it perfectly serviced and got to learn it´s strength and character on vocals over many months.
Then I bought a C100 (again) to find out how much or not it can be a "replacement" to me (!) for the C800G - as I found the former comparisons from other people very confusing, as the variance of the difference (or sometimes lack thereof) was huge. I simply could not come to a conclusion.

So here are my findings after recording a bunch of different voices with the two mics (set to cardioid only), all expressions of my subjective, personal opinion:

The C100 is a solid vocal mic, the C800G is a phenomenal vocal mic.

The frequency balance is not that similar. My C800G has a noticeably fuller bass, a more smoothed out but very natural midrange and an airy, open top. The C100 has a less "sexy" bass and a focus on the "wooden" midrange that reminds me of more "typical" LDC mics (it reminded me of Audio Technica LDC midrange) and the top sounds slightly more "like a recording" as opposed to the C800G, which to me sounds extended to infinity.

My C800G seems to sound better and more consistent when the source gets off axis/moves. I think the C100 sound changed more with distance and angle variation.

In a pop mix context the C800G mostly needed a low cut to get sub area plosives out and a de-esser after compression. 95% of all times: Perfect modern vocal. Sexy, intimate, beautiful, bells and whistles. I have rarely used another "preset sounding" mic that seems to need so little EQ to sound fantastic on pretty much any vocalist. In comparison the C100 was definitely a good mic for vocals as well, but I found myself reaching for the EQ everytime. Just like with most other LDC mics from AKG to Neumann to Slate VMS to Blue to whatever. Trying to fix a certain midrange bump. Trying to find a spot to boost for "life" and air. Trying to make the bass "sexier". Etc.

So, my personal (!) conclusion is clear. I see the C100 for vocal application in the same ballpark as the other upper class studio mics, with it´s own (and different) sonic imprint. 414, U87ai, AT4050 etc come to mind and dozens of others. I do not consider it as a replacement of a well serviced, up to spec C800G. In fact, I got much closer to the C800G sound using my Slate VMS with the FG-800M setting plus one instance of Equilibrium using two bands in the bass area.

And yes, I have used all sorts of preamp combinations while doing these tests to see if there is a transformation potential, with very limited success. 3 types of tube preamps, 3 types of Neve preamps, Chandler TG, plus some neutral solid state preamps. While some imposed their character on the signal, not one was able to turn things around. I could not get the same something I was hearing on the C800G to appear in the C100 by preamp choice - but some made the (subjectively speaking) weaknesses less and some made them more prominent, especially the high frequency "life". Some of my favourite matches for the C100 were the 1073lb and the TG2-500, it did not match that well with a 737.

EDIT: just to make it clear, those are not huge differences we are talking about. It´s about the last 15% we are talking about, as usual. I could happily use any mics I named for any vocal, no worries.
Hey there. My experience is a little different. I purchased a brand new Sony C800g from sweetwater 2 and a half years ago. Paired with with an Avalon 737 and loved it. This was for our Philly studio. Our main studio in New Orleans had a Gefell M92.1 with a telefunken tube paired with an Avalon 737 with telefunken tubes in it also...nice thick vocals. I wanted a more "modern" sound so I purchased a C100 to test. I paired it with an LA2A, 1176 going into a Pultec...and I can't say I could be any happier. In fact, we got one for our Philly facility and the C800 has been in the closet since. Just my experience.....
Old 3 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ace'Lo View Post
Hey there. My experience is a little different. I purchased a brand new Sony C800g from sweetwater 2 and a half years ago. Paired with with an Avalon 737 and loved it. This was for our Philly studio. Our main studio in New Orleans had a Gefell M92.1 with a telefunken tube paired with an Avalon 737 with telefunken tubes in it also...nice thick vocals. I wanted a more "modern" sound so I purchased a C100 to test. I paired it with an LA2A, 1176 going into a Pultec...and I can't say I could be any happier. In fact, we got one for our Philly facility and the C800 has been in the closet since. Just my experience.....
Thanks,
I wish I could say the same, that would save me a lot of money. Compared to classic Neumann type of capsules the C800G and the C100 are both more modern sounding to me. Between the Sonys I simply found the C800G to have all the "special something" qualities which I often try to "dial in" on other mics, it works to a degree for me but it always has sonic downsides. Btw I found my 737 was never the best choice for either Sony, it seemed to reduce the wow factor a little bit for me, especially on the C100, which I liked better with a 1073 or a TG2. And I do like the 737 a lot in general. My personal conclusion is that the C100 is simply a different mic to the C800G just like a C414 is to a U87. And I seem to prefer the expensive one most of the time. It´s also a matter of taste, after all.
Old 3 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by WunderBro Flo View Post
Thanks,
I wish I could say the same, that would save me a lot of money. Compared to classic Neumann type of capsules the C800G and the C100 are both more modern sounding to me. Between the Sonys I simply found the C800G to have all the "special something" qualities which I often try to "dial in" on other mics, it works to a degree for me but it always has sonic downsides. Btw I found my 737 was never the best choice for either Sony, it seemed to reduce the wow factor a little bit for me, especially on the C100, which I liked better with a 1073 or a TG2. And I do like the 737 a lot in general. My personal conclusion is that the C100 is simply a different mic to the C800G just like a C414 is to a U87. And I seem to prefer the expensive one most of the time. It´s also a matter of taste, after all.
Ahhh ya I forgot to mention. Our New Orleans setup is C100 into a BAE 1073 into 1176 into LA2A into Pultec. Rap,HipHop and RnB vocals....
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search