The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
SKnote release Disto-S - Emulation of a Distressor, including DSP Dynamics Plugins
Old 19th October 2017
Lives for gear

Thumbs up SKnote release Disto-S - Emulation of a Distressor, including DSP

Looks like it is finally here.

Simpler, faster (0.5% cpu?), DSP (7 instances on a single chip!), fantastic sound.

Available as VST/AU/AAX/Native/DSP/Win/Mac/32/64bit, Disto-S is the natural evolution of Disto. While the original version was aimed to expand the concept, this one is a simple emulation of a Distressor by Empirical Labs. Straight-forward, super-fast, beautiful sound.

The "preset-to-clipboard" feature makes preset sharing easy and platform-independent.

We also added a special auto-gain feature. Matches output level to bypass level.

The "UK" mode multiplies combinations by two.

As we often do, it is a free update for existing users. Just download "Disto" from your user area (also please see the note below).

It is also being offered at a special "AES" launch price (MSRP 49.99$ - All formats, including DSP!) on www.sknoteaudio.com.

This is a simple video where we match it to a hardware unit on the fly!
Where the software unit is bypassed, the hardware unit is engaged at the same time, with controls being matched on the fly. Sounding fabulous on drums.

Note: previous version, so far called "v.2", becomes Disto-R (as in "Rack") and will be available in the same package shortly.

A blog post with instructions:

http://www.sknoteaudio.com/wp/index....-instructions/

Another blog post about the Autogain feature:

http://www.sknoteaudio.com/wp/index....-gain-feature/

Last edited by quintosardo; 23rd October 2017 at 03:23 PM..
Old 19th October 2017
Lives for gear

Your servers are overwhelmed...i'm frozen every time trying to download the latest release.

Well done. Congratulations on a winner!

Zz.
Old 19th October 2017
Lives for gear

I hope you'll forgive us for possible issues with download and whatever.

I wanted to spread it. This "double version" thing is new so we arranged a download for the new version only, while Disto-R is coming shortly in the same package.

We also postponed a mailing to tomorrow to reduce server's overload.

Love it on drums. How it controls everything while the kick sound "boom" without any sidechain filter.

Enjoy 7 instances on a single DSP chip and just 0.5/1% cpu on normal workstations.
Old 19th October 2017
Lives for gear
Congratulations!
Really looking forward to trying this out. So glad I bought it.
Old 19th October 2017
Lives for gear

To have some fun in this tiring afternoon fighting against servers, I programmed a preset with a sound I love on drums: "Shaved Drums"

Disto-S 030001
Gain 0.6600001454 Volume 0.4804380536 Hipass 0.0000000000 Band 0.0000000000
Attack 0.3949999809 Release 0.4849999845 UK 1.0000000000 Hottitude 0.0700000003
Ratio 0.0000000000 Mix 0.0000000000 Auto 1.0000000000 HarmSw 0.0000000000
LinkSw 0.0000000000

Fine tuning:

- Gain reduction peaking at 9/10 dB

Description:

Ratio: 1:1 (just the lable, of course)
UK mode engaged
No filters
Default gain staging (Hottitude in default position)
Medium Atk and Rls
3rd harmonic mode
No dry mix

Auto-gain takes care of matching the level to bypass level (the usual best practice, but automated).
The saturation stage gives presence to the snare (programmed on an acoustic drumkit loop).
Old 19th October 2017
Lives for gear

Yes, the servers seem to be over loaded. I keep getting error messages.
Old 19th October 2017
Lives for gear

Yes, it should be just about the load, many have been able to download and install smoothly so I think the files are ok. Let's check it later.
Old 19th October 2017
Lives for gear

Please write to quintosardo at yahoo dot it and we'll retrieve your data
Old 19th October 2017
Here for the gear

In very brief test, it seems to generate a weird sine wave with mix between 0 - 3. Then GR meters don't work. This in Cubase 9.

The sound is very promising though!
Old 19th October 2017
Lives for gear

Thanks, please use email (quintosardo at yahoo dot it) so we can identify the details
Old 19th October 2017
Lives for gear

I finally downloaded the AU/VST version but it just has a VST version. How do I convert that to AU?
Old 19th October 2017
Lives for gear

Downloaded this with no problems. Of course, I wouldn't know a real distressor if you hit me over the head with one, but this does sound very nice. CPU - old Disto 3.3%, this 0.2% (an oldish i5 at that). One thing I would query is the auto volume - it does nothing unless I jiggle the GAIN knob then it bursts in to life. The other thing is that HOT is still very sensitive - anything above 1, or even just 0.5 is very obvious and over-powering. Maybe the Fatso is equally sensitive?

However, that's just some initial observations. Love the UI, love the looooooooow CPU usage, love how easy it is to use it, love the sound of it. Definitely worth the wait as finally, Disto is properly usable
Old 19th October 2017
Gear Maniac

Disto

Congrats Quinto I won't get a chance to download and give it a run for some time unfortunately! But i checked my account and it says 'Disto' not 'Disto-s' as in your post,is this correct? Thank you for the free upgrade it very much appreciated
Old 19th October 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hi-Fidelity View Post
Congrats Quinto I won't get a chance to download and give it a run for some time unfortunately! But i checked my account and it says 'Disto' not 'Disto-s' as in your post,is this correct? Thank you for the free upgrade it very much appreciated
Right now, yes it does.

And yes, thank you Quinto. I know you've taken a lot of stick over the last, well, year I guess, but it's finally landed and it is a free upgrade for those of us who already own it, and many devs charge for lesser upgrades. Trying it now on some drums, sounds great. I hope you're going to post more presets, I enjoy them.
Old 19th October 2017
Gear Addict

Quinto, do sessions that use Disto 2 open with Disto R after installing the new versions ?
Old 19th October 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Macaroni View Post
I finally downloaded the AU/VST version but it just has a VST version. How do I convert that to AU?
Just rename it Disto-S.component and it is AU!
Old 19th October 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by cprompt View Post
Right now, yes it does.

And yes, thank you Quinto. I know you've taken a lot of stick over the last, well, year I guess, but it's finally landed and it is a free upgrade for those of us who already own it, and many devs charge for lesser upgrades. Trying it now on some drums, sounds great. I hope you're going to post more presets, I enjoy them.
You can try it on a drumkit and listen to the kick to know it jut sounds "right"

Sure, looots of presets coming. Just focusing on residue isues and we'll be programming one million presets.
Old 19th October 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by hitsville View Post
Quinto, do sessions that use Disto 2 open with Disto R after installing the new versions ?
The idea is to have them completely independent, so living happily together.

Also (upcoming) Disto-R completely backward compatible.
Old 19th October 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by quintosardo View Post
You can try it on a drumkit and listen to the kick to know it jut sounds "roght"
It does, it does.

Quote:
we'll be programming one million presets.
A couple of dozen would be just fine, thank you
Old 19th October 2017
Here for the gear

Quote:
Just rename it Disto-S.component and it is AU!
I can't rename it to component - everytime it adds the vst extension automatically

Any Ideas?
Old 19th October 2017
Gear Addict

Quote:
The idea is to have them completely independent, so living happily together.

Also (upcoming) Disto-R completely backward compatible.
Cool ! Thank you for making this a free upgrade !
Old 19th October 2017
Hi Quinto, thanks for the update. Sounds cool. I've just played with it on a drumbus with moderate settings together with Arousor and FG-Stress, and Disto-S seems actually to hold up quite well against the other ones. Good job!
Old 19th October 2017
Lives for gear

So glad you like it! :D

Actually it should be compared to a Distressor for a real test but I understand not everybody has one readily available.

We'll run more audio tests. This is quite the same.
Old 19th October 2017
Gear Addict

Congratulations fellas, I'm stunned at the huge leap forward - not just for your Disto, or your company, but for all ITB mixing - that this represents.

Right, I'm off to squash everything to death for the evening.
Old 19th October 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by tavbass View Post
In very brief test, it seems to generate a weird sine wave with mix between 0 - 3. Then GR meters don't work. This in Cubase 9.

The sound is very promising though!
Not working in Ableton at all. I get weird crazy volume spikes, the sine wave thing you're speaking of around the same mix settings, and zero sound output when mix is at 0.

Curious though, as it's working great in Reaper after testing it for 10 seconds.
Sounds like a drum bus winner and a nice upgrade since v2 was never really liked/used on any productions.

Before any thanks are said for the free update, let's see if it works in Ableton with a new release of it.
Old 19th October 2017
Lives for gear

Let's check it immediately! Could you please write to quintosardo at yahoo dot it? Will let us get details etc.
Old 19th October 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by StoneyBCN View Post
Congratulations fellas, I'm stunned at the huge leap forward - not just for your Disto, or your company, but for all ITB mixing - that this represents.

Right, I'm off to squash everything to death for the evening.
Squashing while adding body to the low range, without any sidechain filter engaged, is actually its strength

The UK switch multiplies the number of combinations by two.
Old 19th October 2017
Gear Maniac

What does band do please? Is there a relationship to the HP?
Old 19th October 2017
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by cprompt View Post
Right now, yes it does.

Thank you,and yes i second you
Old 19th October 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by james_bond View Post
What does band do please? Is there a relationship to the HP?
It is a midrange boost in the sidechain. Increases compression sensitivity to mid freqs. Useful on some vocals, some drums, blatant midrangey instruments.
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search