The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
SKnote release Disto-S - Emulation of a Distressor, including DSP
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by quintosardo View Post
We simply rely on Windows (using that?) idle process, which goes crazy after some days on some workstations. A restart is enough (we are less and less used to switch computers off). But, in this case, the meters simply stop responding.

If the meters are slow, instead (Win or Mac), it is probably just about the CPU starting to be loaded a lot (by the whole host), as we don't force timers but just rely on that idle process (which, as a lower priority process, waits for audio to be complete).
Yes, this is exactly what I remember you said a few years ago, and makes sense. Do you plan on transitioning over to using timers? There may be a tiny CPU cost, but in the grand scheme of things, 30 interrupts per second to draw the meters is a very small overhead compared to processing 44,100 samples a second
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

We actually use timers in Pro Tools.
It is a bit about programming philosophy: when resources start to be tight, do we steal from critical processes?
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by quintosardo View Post
We actually use timers in Pro Tools.
It is a bit about programming philosophy: when resources start to be tight, do we steal from critical processes?
My answer would be, if the GUI is open then it's open for a reason and maybe that reason is to look at the meters. If updating the meters steals from critical processes, then don't update the meters if the GUI is closed (which may or may not already be the case, I don't know!).

But I would say, if the GUI is open, then it should be updated correctly, even at the very small cost of stealing resources. The user can always close the GUI straight away if that's the case.
Old 4 weeks ago
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbuonacc View Post
hope you've got a few years worth of popcorn there.
I see, just in case some users changed the stage,
does Quinto established a preset for a harp on a cloud?

On a tough schedule here,
does the hot section have more leeway on a new release now?
Old 3 weeks ago
No matter when and how many tracks/plugins, the GR meter is not usable to me as an indication of attack/release times. I tried restarting and using fewer plugins.
Old 2 weeks ago
Gear Addict

Is the earlier Disto rack version (with warmth, transformer, out-of-order mode, etc) scheduled for updating ever?
Old 2 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by justinheronmusic View Post
No matter when and how many tracks/plugins, the GR meter is not usable to me as an indication of attack/release times. I tried restarting and using fewer plugins.
Would you write to quintosardo at yahoo dot it?

Looks like Disto is a rock so let's check why it is happening there.
Old 2 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by B Elgin View Post
Is the earlier Disto rack version (with warmth, transformer, out-of-order mode, etc) scheduled for updating ever?
Sure it is, what are you missing in that one? You can also write to quintosardo at yahoo dot it if you have specific ideas or requests you want to discuss.
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search