The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
SKnote release Disto-S - Emulation of a Distressor, including DSP
Old 9th May 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by quintosardo View Post
Yes, we always keep improving and extending things. Many of them come from discussion.

These are all planned and being implemented while studying how to keep backward compatibility.
Great news Quinto... thanks... I'll try to be patient...
Old 9th May 2019
Lives for gear

Hey, always happy to improve things we spend our klives working on :D

Don't always hold your breath on my discussions here. It is a discussion forum, not an official announcement page, so I try to talk and brainstorm as much a spossible but quite often making things is complicated, mainly because they are improvements on things we always thought we made to our best possibilities. Just try to track how Disto evolved from its first release, there was such a crazy amount of work. Nice thing is that some people prefer the first algorithm :D
Old 9th May 2019
Gear Addict

I think it's nice there are 2 different version Disto's.
Well, thinking about that, perhaps a future request is going to be, put them both in 1 plugin. And a nice selector switch for Disto 1 or 2. And with Mid/Side, you get to select which Disto to use where.

And why stop there? Multiband Disto, the user can choose any Disto version on 5 bands. With Auto volume.
Old 9th May 2019
Gear Head

Quote:
Yes, we always keep improving and extending things. Many of them come from discussion.

These are all planned and being implemented while studying how to keep backward compatibility.
Yes! Backward compatibility is very important. I currently use Disto v2 and I love it the way it is! Such a smart tool, and with a great sound! I am not even comparing to the actual distressor. I don't care about that. I love Disto 2 on everything.
Old 9th May 2019
Lives for gear

The reason why we kept two versions is that some engineers like the extension of the concept, some others wanted simply "a model of a Distressor"
Old 13th May 2019
Lives for gear

I just uploaded a video about mastering with SDC, now shooting a few about mastering with Disto

Beautiful audio world today.
Old 24th May 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Illusionaire View Post
Yes! Backward compatibility is very important. I currently use Disto v2 and I love it the way it is! Such a smart tool, and with a great sound! I am not even comparing to the actual distressor. I don't care about that. I love Disto 2 on everything.
Yes, backward compatibility. We all love to simply replace the version and keep the projects working. We are working on a new very nice preset management system, too.
Old 27th May 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by mutetourettes View Post
well, here's a quick survey of updates you've OK'd (your posts):

let's start with the calibration screw (July 2018):

a narrower range and different curve for hottitude knob:

an intended updated autogain for v2:

a v2 saturation mode in -S:

an m/s mode:

did I miss some?
Add a new preset management system to the queue
Old 7th June 2019
Lives for gear

We offer three licenses for three original songs to be mastered using Disto as a tutorial on our website (with credits, of course).
Please write to quintosardo at yahoo dot it if interested
Old 9th June 2019
Here for the gear

Quinto,

My graphics appear to be frozen on both Disto-S and the old version. The dials work and it appears it is compressing but I have no visual guidance. I did send you an email regarding this. This is occurring with Reaper 64 bit latest version.
Old 10th June 2019
Lives for gear

Ciao! Usually a compurer restart is enough. We are less and less used to switching off the workstations (we are here, at least).
Old 10th June 2019
Here for the gear

I reinstalled my AMD graphics driver and that fixed the problem. It seemed to only affect Disto.
Old 27th June 2019
Lives for gear

Usually a restart of the workstation is enough
Old 27th June 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by martman22 View Post
I reinstalled my AMD graphics driver and that fixed the problem. It seemed to only affect Disto.

Quote:
Usually a restart of the workstation is enough
Hi Quinto,

Some years ago when I was running a crappy graphics card, the UI on your plugins would freeze a lot, like nearly all the time. The actual plugins ran fine but the UIs would just stop working.

I know you said back then that you were going to change the way you updated the UI (from interrupts to timers, or perhaps the other way around, I can't remember). I don't know if this fixed the issue because I changed my graphics card and all your plugins have worked fine ever since.

Well, almost always... the UIs do freeze occasionally, and I think it's only yours that have this behaviour. Can you think why this might be the case? It's not a big deal but it's... odd.
Old 23rd July 2019
Lives for gear

It is some Windows thing, an internal process (used for graphics refresh, too), do occasionally stop. A restart is enough. I notice we are getting used less and less to switching computers off. I almost never do.
Old 23rd July 2019
Lives for gear

BTW, On our studio mac (2009 2xXeon bastard) the VU meters in Protools 10 slows down when turning the knobs on Disto..and the knobs behavior is really slow and erratic. Same mac but using Reaper - no problems.
Old 24th July 2019
Lives for gear

We use standard libraries and functions, probably the cpu idle process strts being called less frequently when the project gets heavier.
Old 28th July 2019
Lives for gear

The new preset system we are testing is coming really nice.
Copy goes to clipboard, paste can go as clear text to e.g. a forum post or directly to another instance in the project. Load and save don't depend on the host.
Nice.
We have been focused on algorithms like crazy but workflow is important, I know.
Old 9th August 2019
Lives for gear

Ok, new preset system coming for Disto in early Sep
Old 11th August 2019
Gear Addict

Quote:
Ok, new preset system coming for Disto in early Sep
Cheers, is it a general overhaul for all (at least the compressors)?
Old 13th August 2019
Lives for gear

Yes, starting from this one and extending to all the products.
Old 13th August 2019
Gear Addict

Groovy, will watch
Old 10th September 2019
Lives for gear

Any Avid-Venue users who have experience with this one on live consoles here? (AAX-DSP)
Old 16th September 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by omkar View Post
Groovy, will watch
hope you've got a few years worth of popcorn there.
Old 16th September 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbuonacc View Post
hope you've got a few years worth of popcorn there.
What if they were centuries, given that it is free?
Old 16th September 2019
Gear Addict

Aka, Quinto "when??" Sardo.

Joking aside, looking forward to the update. Also to the renewed old Disto-R.
Old 16th September 2019
Lives for gear

Yes, do you have a rough idea of the amount of free upgrading/expansion done during last years? Roundtone, Verbtone, Disto... mountains of work... now adding the new preset system, very nice :D
Old 22nd September 2019
I have been using Disto-S on sessions and after repeated use the LED meters on Disto-S are reading very slow and don't seem to be accurate to what's going on in the audio.
Old 23rd September 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by justinheronmusic View Post
I have been using Disto-S on sessions and after repeated use the LED meters on Disto-S are reading very slow and don't seem to be accurate to what's going on in the audio.
I find if I haven't rebooted my PC in a while (like days or a week, which I don't because I don't need to) then the meters in most SKNote products stop working. I don't know if it's the same sort of thing you are experiencing. On a previous graphics card I had, the meter didn't work at all so there's something in Quinto's meter GUI code that isn't 100% perfect.
Old 23rd September 2019
Lives for gear

We simply rely on Windows (using that?) idle process, which goes crazy after some days on some workstations. A restart is enough (we are less and less used to switch computers off). But, in this case, the meters simply stop responding.

If the meters are slow, instead (Win or Mac), it is probably just about the CPU starting to be loaded a lot (by the whole host), as we don't force timers but just rely on that idle process (which, as a lower priority process, waits for audio to be complete).
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search