The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
SKnote release Disto-S - Emulation of a Distressor, including DSP Dynamics Plugins
Old 29th March 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by quintosardo View Post
Here we go with something really new.

It is the Disto page for our web system: a 100% completely working processor, shared online in the browser.

Demo, process, share and download presets, discuss, teach, learn, have fun.

A new paradigm, more options for users.

Going live in a few days in our to_be_announced "iNSPR" world.
While we are closing the Disto-R version and working on a more versatile preset management system, the online special version is almost ready to go live. Adding the "chat" part of it and we are ready for the mailing. New perspectives.
Old 29th March 2018
unr
Gear Nut

Quote:
Feeling the need of an internal dropdown presets menu for this one?

Or better keep it simple and rely on hosts presets management for that?
that would be cool! i think that was also requested a few pages back.
Just a save preset button and a drop down with all saved presets maybe. and delete button maybe
Old 29th March 2018
Lives for gear

Ok, this will be an expanding project, anyway, so we'll add the presets management menu.

Let's get Disto-R out, before that :D
Old 29th March 2018
Yes, please. ;-)
Old 6th April 2018
Lives for gear

New presets available on the website. As usual, just write Disto-S in the Search field on sknoteaudio.com
Old 7th April 2018
Gear Addict

Quote:
New presets available on the website. As usual, just write Disto-S in the Search field on sknoteaudio.com
Thanks for the reminder Quinto, I hadn't realised you had added so many presets, I must of missed previous posts.
Old 9th April 2018
Lives for gear

Is anyone using this for mixbus/stereo bus duties?

Back in my prog day I would've killed for something like Disto, especially on bass, for a gritty Chris Squire/Geddy Lee sound.

Now I do more ambient stuff with lots of strings and pads. I'm looking at SDC as we'll, but Disto seems like I could use it too for when I pick up my bass and want to grunge things up.

I'm down to either Disto or Marconi1 as my first purchase.

Oh, and a question -- I know they are two different beasts, but has anyone compared Disto to Kush UBK-1 or Novatron? I currently use UBK-1 and like it, but I'm looking to phase out anything that requires iLok.
Old 9th April 2018
Quote:
Originally Posted by swartzfeger View Post
Is anyone using this for mixbus/stereo bus duties?

Back in my prog day I would've killed for something like Disto, especially on bass, for a gritty Chris Squire/Geddy Lee sound.

Now I do more ambient stuff with lots of strings and pads. I'm looking at SDC as we'll, but Disto seems like I could use it too for when I pick up my bass and want to grunge things up.

I'm down to either Disto or Marconi1 as my first purchase.

Oh, and a question -- I know they are two different beasts, but has anyone compared Disto to Kush UBK-1 or Novatron? I currently use UBK-1 and like it, but I'm looking to phase out anything that requires iLok.
Works fine on busses, be sure to play with the link/unlink button.

Although they can meet at some point where they sound quite similar, I find Disto and UBK to be different animals. If you love UBK, I'm not sure Disto could replace it completely.
Old 12th April 2018
Hey, will this plugin work with Mac OS 10.8.5 ?
Couldn't find the system requirements.
Old 13th April 2018
Lives for gear

Sure, no special requirement!

Last edited by quintosardo; 15th April 2018 at 09:44 AM..
Old 15th April 2018
Lives for gear

Note: Disto and Disto-S presets are not the same!
Write the right name in the search field on sknoteaudio.com when looking for presets
Old 16th April 2018
Lives for gear

Answering to a frequent question: no, Disto is _not_ included in the processing in our new Master Tools online mastering system. Master Tools is 100% offline processing (analyses he whole Mix before taking decisions) and uses completely different processes
Old 21st April 2018
Lives for gear

Adding Disto to our new online system, which is expanding over the new Master Tools online mastering system. Really new concepts, you'll see

(And yes, I'm focused on promised releases, I'm not alone )
Old 21st April 2018
Gear Maniac

Have a great working Saturday brother Q. The passion is shown on your creations.
Old 29th April 2018
Gear Head

Somehow forgot about disto and just downloaded the newest version. Seriously - the autogain feature is by far the best function ever. I am wondering why no other plugin has something like this. I always have to put plugins in chains in live with a utility at the end to be able to toggle on and off with same volume. Even after 20 years of production I am not that great with compressors and this function actually does help me so much in understanding what I am doing.
Oh and thanks again for the neve emulation as christmas gift. Using it a lot.
Old 29th April 2018
Lives for gear

Hey yents, so glad!

Actually I must admit the autogain is working transparently and I forgot about it, I keep it always on :D
Old 3rd May 2018
Lives for gear

Still using our Distressors, meanwhile
Old 5th May 2018
Bought it Ok, after a few days I'm noticing a few things:

-On Studio One the GUI freezes in a few instances, the plug in works but the graphics look frozen, it gets back to normal if I close and re open the project.

- It would be nice if you could have some kind of level calibration to set the optimal operation levels, I use -18 for mixing so my tracks are not as hot, to get the amount of compression I want as it is I have to crank the input all the way and then attenuate a lot, sometimes I even have to use a trim plugin to get the amount of compression I want.

- 20:1 ratio has less compression than 10:1 is this normal ?

I'm liking the sound so far, great job
Old 8th May 2018
Lives for gear

Crazy Studio One!

Intersting calibration thing, I'll check everything you say. probably first time gain doesn't look enough.
Old 11th May 2018
Lives for gear

Answer to a frequent question: yes, the upcoming online version is 100% compatible with plugin version.
It is a working version and a preset generator with online sharing section
Old 30th May 2018
Gear Nut

I just emailed for help on this one, but thought I'd post here in case any other users have had the issue.

Has anyone got this working in Windows 10? I just bought it, put the dll file in my plugins folder, then it apparently got found during the plugin scan in both Mixbus and Cakewalk by Bandlab (the new free version of Sonar). However, it then does not appear in the plugin menu in either DAW, so I can't use it. Has anyone else seen this? I'm not even sure how to generate extra info for debugging.
Old 30th May 2018
Gear Nut

I tried both the 32 bit and 64 bit versions.
Old 30th May 2018
Gear Nut

ok, this is bizarre. Just installed Waves centre (to access new Waves plugins), and now the Disto-S is found, but Waves isn't. In any case, it's something weird for me to figure out, and apologies for the spam.
Old 30th May 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjw63 View Post
ok, this is bizarre. Just installed Waves centre (to access new Waves plugins), and now the Disto-S is found, but Waves isn't. In any case, it's something weird for me to figure out, and apologies for the spam.
Your waves central install maybe added a/some runtimes that you needed for Disto...not sure if it can do that?
Not that unusual for waves plugs to disappear when updating..particularly if first install using Central...the problem may be that you now have multiple waveshells on the system and your DAW is seeing the wrong one (or prioritising it over the latest one)
Old 30th May 2018
Gear Nut

The Waves problem really was me being thick. I assumed that the uncategorised list in Sonar included all plugins, but the dbx 160 appeared only under "dynamics".

I checked all lists repeatedly for Disto before installing Waves, and it definitely wasn't there.

Anyways, I'm loving it so far. I am mixing some unruly drum recordings, and this is really allowing to me tame them, add punch, but not be too obvious.
Old 2nd June 2018
I think this is a Mixbus issue also - don't know Bandlab. Had some difficulties getting Disto-S to be found, too. In Cubase it was found immediately without problems.
Old 17th June 2018
Lives for gear

That Disto is an awesome compressor!
I was sceptical a bit, as some of Quinto plugins are quite one trick ponys (and their tricks are damn good!), but this one is as versatile as it could be!
I did not compared it to HW yet, but it is no less versatile and very good sounding unit.
It has a chance to become my everyday "default" compressor, especially considering negligible CPU usage )

Having some jittery knobs on OSX Reaper, but this is a minor problem, and maybe "hot" knob is too hot, it's transfer curve could be more logarithmic, where "1.5" should be like "8".

Definitely sometimes i need more gain too, for drum room/snare crushing, as it was mentioned above, can't say it is "calibrated" to -18/-23dBFS as a 0VU/+4dBu.
Old 18th June 2018
Quote:
Originally Posted by zvukofor View Post
Definitely sometimes i need more gain too, for drum room/snare crushing, as it was mentioned above, can't say it is "calibrated" to -18/-23dBFS as a 0VU/+4dBu.
That's what's bothering me the most, the gainstaging feels completely different than expected. On the hardware I always knew what to expect when starting with the input at 5 and going from there. Otherwise Disto is cool.
Old 19th June 2018
Lives for gear

BTW, why when on 1:1 ratio Disto is compressing?
Distressor manual says this mode for "warming" only, when compression is off...
Old 19th June 2018
Lives for gear

1:1 stopped being 1:1 when British mode was added
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search