The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
SKnote release Disto-S - Emulation of a Distressor, including DSP Dynamics Plugins
Old 30th November 2017
Lives for gear

I hear a different level of compression, so I'm not sure I can compare...

I prefer the first one for a processed sound (snap), the second one because more natural (less compressed, my taste). But if I had to choose I'd say the first one is hw.
Old 30th November 2017
Gear Maniac

Yes
1 = hw
2 = Disto-S
Old 30th November 2017
Lives for gear

You could try to match the compression more. Also, do you know what Ratio was selected for the hw processed sample? Without that one, possibilities are multiplied by 8 and matching becomes harder

Last edited by quintosardo; 30th November 2017 at 04:12 PM..
Old 30th November 2017
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by quintosardo View Post
You could try to match the compression more.
Yes i really didn't take much time to finetune. I'm sure they can sound even more similar. For me they were very close (sometimes almost completely null) and i liked the Disto-S sound better.

Quote:
Originally Posted by quintosardo
Also, do you know wghat Ratio was selected for the hw processed sample? Without that one, possibilities are multiplied by 8 and matching becomes harder
No idea actually. I didn't bother reading anything, i went straight for the sounds.
Old 30th November 2017
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by zeep View Post
Yes
1 = hw
2 = Disto-S
Are you giving away the result after nulling these samples with the hardware sample of the other test... or is this a guess? Is that what the face means?
Old 30th November 2017
Lives for gear

The face was because I knew which is which, but they need a better matching for a real comparison, it was more about taste this time
Old 30th November 2017
Gear Nut

Stupid me didn't even notice zeep was the one who actually posted the files
Old 30th November 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by The 6th Beatle View Post
I made them sound virtually identical..
Yes, I find them to be very close/identical as well. I own FG-Stress, Disto-S, Deflector, Arousor. One thing I like both about Arousor and Disto-S, is being able to adjust the headroom/saturation*. FG-Stress is great, but I'd love to be able sometimes to bring down the headroom and and nip the peaks.

I probably like Arousor and Disto-S the most, honestly. Considering the difference in price, Disto-S is an astoundingly great product.

*The one thing I really would love with Disto-S is more range in the hotittude knob. For the peak clipping I mentioned earlier, the only useful range is about 1-10 (out of 100). Very small usable range, unless you want to use it as a distortion box.
Old 30th November 2017
Here for the gear
Gah, I told myself I don't need any more software this year……*this thread is making that difficult to hold to haha.
Old 30th November 2017
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by spitfire31 View Post
What you do is delete the "_xxxxxxxxxx" from the download file. You then have a valid vst file. For an AU, you duplicate the file and replace the ".vst" with ".component" and hey, presto! you have a valid AU file.
Awesome, thank you Joachim, and Quinto, for the explanation! And as expected, the installation works fine.

The x64 VST is also working fine on my 64-bit windows machine.

Fine work! I don't own a hardware Distressor, but your plugin reminds me strongly of the hardware units I've touched and used in person. Superb on drums! Loving the distorted squash it provides.

For my constructive criticism and immediate reactions, I'd prefer to have the option to switch off the distortion, as the hardware unit does. The distortion switching is part of what makes the Distressor so flexible, and being stuck with 2nd and 3rd order leaves me a little wanting. That said, both distortion modes sound great!

As far as the saturation section goes, well, I haven't used a Fatso, so I can't compare this to the hardware. I can say that I'm with the "dial back the 'Hot' knob" crowd. I find I like the settings best around 0-2, while the rest is too much and there just isn't a lot of resolution to find the perfect sweet spot.

These are just tiny issues to me, however, and are meant as feedback to try and help a great plugin become even greater!

And such a good price! I'm very impressed, Quinto. Excellent, excellent work. That purchase was money extremely well-spent!
Old 1st December 2017
Here for the gear

Quinto can you please check you email, I wrote to your support yesterday.
Thanks
Old 1st December 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaner View Post
Quinto can you please check you email, I wrote to your support yesterday.
Thanks
kaner please help me to identify you in the email or write again to quintosardo at yahoo dot it, as I cannot find anything un-answered :(
Old 1st December 2017
Here for the gear

It was about refund but please ignore it I'll keep my Disto, it's really great!
Old 1st December 2017
Gear Nut

Will you tell us here when the updated disto-r is ready?
I just want to know where is the best place to find out ;-)
Old 2nd December 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by holographic View Post
Here is a distressor shootout between the hardware/uad/slate.

Distressor shootout! UAD/Slate/Analog hardware

On page two i took the dry drums and processed them with Disto-S.
In my opinion it´s easily as good as the other plugins, the difference to the harware is really hard to spot.
Great job
This one looks like a good match, even though the selected Ratio wasn't declared so it was selected by ear (4:1 while the original one was 6:1).

I also proposed an alternate preset in that thread.

Happy audio times, almost infinite power
Old 4th December 2017
Here for the gear

Quote:
Instrmnt, you are showing that something needed to be clarified!

That definition is exactly what you CANNOT do.

You cannot convert VST to AU. Don't try to do it with other VSTs!

This is what I meant.

Yes, it is exactly as you say: a single package, delivered all at once.

The phrase on top of the download page says something like "For AU: download the VST and rename it".

When you rename it you are not converting it (I'm insisting just to be sure it is clear, because you cannot convert other VSTs to AU). You are just letting your host know it is AU. Already was, but the host cannot know until it sees .component.

To rename something is to change to change is to convert.

We can argue to all eternity on the definition but that still does not explain why can't you simply supply your paying customers with both VST and Component files.

Not everyone knows the renaming procedure.

Make it EASIER for your paying customers...
Old 4th December 2017
Lives for gear

Not arguing, just trying to clear the discussion from a probable misunderstanding, that you can "convert" any VST to AU by just renaming the file, which simply cannot work.
Old 5th December 2017
Gear Nut
Where is the full HW vs the Software comparison video which was promised?
Old 6th December 2017
RTG
Gear Nut

I found the previous version a little cumbersome. But Disto S is getting used everywhere. A really useful and efficient tool.
Old 8th December 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by RTG View Post
I found the previous version a little cumbersome. But Disto S is getting used everywhere. A really useful and efficient tool.
So glad you hare happier with this one, it was a serious effort.

Actually Disto got a convoluted story. Started from an "extended" concept to go back to getting a "faithful" version on top of it.

Different users' mindsets. While a lot are happy because of this simpler and 1:1 version (let DSP alone), a lot want the "rack" version which, being extended, is more versatile.

Less is more, sometimes, more is more some other

Anybody wanting to submit a raw track for me to shoot a "on the fly matching to hw" video? Just send an email to quintosardo at yahoo dot it and we'll do it. Something you think is an interesting kind of processing, that makes a Distressor shine.
Old 11th December 2017
Gear Nut
I will buy it later tonight and see if I'm going to love it. Based on A,B comparison that I heard with my own file from Quinto, I will say I'm going to love it. And I know for a fact that I will not be asking for Refund. I can't wait to play with this baby. Thank you so much Quinto! I was actually stunned for what I heard.
Old 11th December 2017
Lives for gear

Thanks Saturn, I'm glad!

Who wants to get some audio processed, just write to quintosardo at yahoo dot it.

Last edited by quintosardo; 13th December 2017 at 09:58 AM..
Old 13th December 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by celticafro View Post
Awesome, thank you Joachim, and Quinto, for the explanation! And as expected, the installation works fine.

The x64 VST is also working fine on my 64-bit windows machine.

Fine work! I don't own a hardware Distressor, but your plugin reminds me strongly of the hardware units I've touched and used in person. Superb on drums! Loving the distorted squash it provides.

For my constructive criticism and immediate reactions, I'd prefer to have the option to switch off the distortion, as the hardware unit does. The distortion switching is part of what makes the Distressor so flexible, and being stuck with 2nd and 3rd order leaves me a little wanting. That said, both distortion modes sound great!

As far as the saturation section goes, well, I haven't used a Fatso, so I can't compare this to the hardware. I can say that I'm with the "dial back the 'Hot' knob" crowd. I find I like the settings best around 0-2, while the rest is too much and there just isn't a lot of resolution to find the perfect sweet spot.

These are just tiny issues to me, however, and are meant as feedback to try and help a great plugin become even greater!

And such a good price! I'm very impressed, Quinto. Excellent, excellent work. That purchase was money extremely well-spent!
Yes just set the Hot knob to zero to disable the saturation. No saturation at all would mean an ideal processor with infinite headroom.
Old 13th December 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Yes just set the Hot knob to zero to disable the saturation. No saturation at all would mean an ideal processor with infinite headroom.
Quinto: Are you saying that if you set the Hot control to zero it also turns off the 2nd and 3rd order Harmonics?

I agree that a switch would be better.
Old 13th December 2017
Lives for gear

No, there isn't any hidden switch behind the knob. It means that the action of the saturation stage is so far that cannot be hit before the "intrinsic analog" ceil is hit. You know, the Distressor contains a saturation module which acts depending on the calibration, that can be affected by an "external jack trick".
Old 13th December 2017
Lives for gear

Old 13th December 2017
Lives for gear

And they compared with the older version of Disto, Not fair lolol
Old 13th December 2017
Lives for gear

Quite weird article, why did he use the old version?

And what the h. does he say?

There is also an unacceptable bashing to Slate.

Revrb should find better writers (and learn to look less biased) if they want to be a magazine. I'm happy we didn't do what they asked to do.
Old 14th December 2017
Gear Nut
Quote:
Originally Posted by optikstrange View Post
This article compares all the Distressor plug-ins but list disto as $299. I pointed it out but still lists MSRP as $299 ������������������

The Empirical Labs Distressor and Its Emulations: Hear | Reverb News
If I used to fall for this kind of review than my own test, I would have been living in the street like hobo asking for cash after I spend my money for nothing. The most biased article that I have ever read. I have used UAD, Slate, and Disto S the only reason I didn't get Slate distressor is 1, it was not on sale. His attention is to get much more subscribers than license users. 2, it is not out of out of VMR and it is not my workflow. Disto S is an amazing animal. It has taken my drum to the next level. There is no low end Yadi Yadi yada. For god sake there are people who take the review too seriously as an information. Just because someone pays you more or gives you a free gear you don't have to kiss their @$$.
Old 14th December 2017
Gear Maniac

Wow. Bad Reverb article.
New Reply Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook  Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter  Submit Thread to LinkedIn LinkedIn  Submit Thread to Google+ Google+  Submit Thread to Reddit Reddit 

Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search