The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
DB - Two-Channel Tube Mic Preamp with DI - Hand-Built
Old 4 weeks ago
Front panel stuff.
Attached Thumbnails
DB - Two-Channel Tube Mic Preamp with DI - Hand-Built-c3959386-989d-4937-acb0-a6e512e4bf52.jpg   DB - Two-Channel Tube Mic Preamp with DI - Hand-Built-68b16a9c-6181-49d4-a944-d72fb6787f15.jpg   DB - Two-Channel Tube Mic Preamp with DI - Hand-Built-94e982e7-9869-4416-b2bf-85bec613ab67.jpg  
Old 4 weeks ago
Masked off and ready for lead and wire.
Attached Thumbnails
DB - Two-Channel Tube Mic Preamp with DI - Hand-Built-f9a23e49-1b49-46b4-8f40-e59268b7ec2d.jpg  
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Hey Dan, I was gonna ask you, does the DI go straight to the grid or thru the input transformer? Ive always been curious of that. BTW that is a very well thought out front panel. I tried to design one for a REDD 47 and i couldnt get it to flow just right.
Old 4 weeks ago
The DI goes straight to the grid, and the jack is switched to totally disconnect the mic input transformer, phantom, pad, etc. But the low shelf lives between the gain stages of the 6072, so you can tone shape your instrument too.

Panel layout is fun. So, you built a Redd 47?
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by BluegrassDan View Post
The DI goes straight to the grid, and the jack is switched to totally disconnect the mic input transformer, phantom, pad, etc. But the low shelf lives between the gain stages of the 6072, so you can tone shape your instrument too.

Panel layout is fun. So, you built a Redd 47?
Negative, this guy in California was building me one and just disappeared and hasnt returned my emails or anything so im out PCBs, transformers, cash and all switches and caps, really disappointed in people today, His name is Nathan Gillotti.
Old 4 weeks ago
That's beautiful work and presentation Professor Dan; thanks! The preamp sounds great in your videos.
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by deuc647 View Post
Negative, this guy in California was building me one and just disappeared and hasnt returned my emails or anything so im out PCBs, transformers, cash and all switches and caps, really disappointed in people today, His name is Nathan Gillotti.
Sorry to hear that. Is he the NRG Audio guy? Maybe something happened to him? I have no idea, I just did a google search when I saw your post.
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by elambo View Post
Sorry to hear that. Is he the NRG Audio guy? Maybe something happened to him? I have no idea, I just did a google search when I saw your post.
Yeah it is. Im in Tx and seriously thinking of taking a trip to Cali.
Old 4 weeks ago
That’s a lot of money in parts. Sorry to hear that.
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
That’s a lot of money in parts. Sorry to hear that.
Yeah it happens, after this tube preamp, im done, i will no longer need a preamp.
Old 4 weeks ago
That’s what we all say!
Attached Thumbnails
DB - Two-Channel Tube Mic Preamp with DI - Hand-Built-877bfa37-362b-4ff8-9816-0ec612f812db.jpg  
Old 4 weeks ago
Layout is looking pretty good.
Attached Thumbnails
DB - Two-Channel Tube Mic Preamp with DI - Hand-Built-53791f8b-3bc9-4a0d-a35f-cc2f2e5ffb24.jpg  
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Layout is looking pretty good.
That high nickel is super sexy. Dan, i noticed that you provide the GE 12bh7 tubes with the pre, I know about the prices of telefunken and the rarity of them but i wanted to ask, are the 2 interchangeable? I know the 6072 tube well from the fearn but dont have any history with the 12bh7 or ECC82. Just picking ur brain.
Old 4 weeks ago
I listened over several months to various types of 12AU7 tubes: Telefunken, Mazda, GE, RCA ElectroHarmonix, and all their variant black vs greyplates. Each had different character, and I settled on GE greyplates for warmer and RCA cleartops for brighter, depending on what a person wanted.

Then I tried RCA and GE 12BH7 tubes. Both of them sound about the same, and far better than any of the 12AU7s.

The 12BH7 draws double the current, has inherently less distortion, better transient response, and is able to drive the output stage harder. It is, in a small package, similar to a 6SN7 or 6GC7.

So, I haven’t looked back after switching.
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Great response, saves me from dumping a nice chunk of change into the tele tubes, ill stick to what you have going in
Old 3 weeks ago
Back at it.
Attached Thumbnails
DB - Two-Channel Tube Mic Preamp with DI - Hand-Built-17fe2980-fb12-43d0-afc7-c05d0b770a80.jpg  
Old 3 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Back at it.
I get anxious seeing it, its like a child being born
Old 3 weeks ago
I had to wait for a few more items to arrive today. One of which is this Don-Audio toroidal transformer from Germany.
Attached Thumbnails
DB - Two-Channel Tube Mic Preamp with DI - Hand-Built-84ae21c4-f733-4c9e-ac10-628466d4d0ac.jpg  
Old 3 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
I had to wait for a few more items to arrive today. One of which is this Don-Audio toroidal transformer from Germany.
I remember him being one of the first people offering stuff like this on groupdiy for the longest time, glad to see hes still doing it.
Old 3 weeks ago
Getting pretty close now!
Attached Thumbnails
DB - Two-Channel Tube Mic Preamp with DI - Hand-Built-09d3b7bb-f2c0-4864-b99b-eb32f643d75a.jpg  
Old 3 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Getting pretty close now!
Jensen, Jensen, and tube shielding, gotta be a law firm.
Old 2 weeks ago
It’s alive.
Attached Thumbnails
DB - Two-Channel Tube Mic Preamp with DI - Hand-Built-c9f106b1-daad-483e-b5d4-f8ed2bde1013.jpg   DB - Two-Channel Tube Mic Preamp with DI - Hand-Built-556bf68e-3b2d-4d18-8df9-f5475e0ea883.jpg  
Old 2 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Really excited to get this in Dan, beautiful work no lie.
Old 1 week ago
Preamp test video.

Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Preamp test video.

Dan, Thank you so much for this, really appreciate all your attention to detail and asking me about things like the overseas caps and if i still preferred them. Really appreciate that a lot, will definitely give it a thorough workout when it arrives and make sure to let everyone know about this. Thanks a million.
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search