The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
Lewitt announces flagship microphone LCT 540 SUBZERO at AES NYC
Old 16th October 2017
News Desk Editor

Lewitt announces flagship microphone LCT 540 SUBZERO at AES NYC

Lewitt announces flagship microphone LCT 540 SUBZERO at AES NYC-lewitt_lct540subzero.jpg
Pre-release of LEWITT’s latest flagship microphone LCT 540 SUBZERO at AES NYC (Booth #740)

Austrian microphone manufacturer LEWITT flexes its muscles yet again, teasing its latest impressive flagship: the single-pattern large-diaphragm condenser LCT 540 SUBZERO. Its specs show that the R&D team went totally bonkers – giving “super-low self-noise,” “highly sensitive,” and “huge dynamic range” a whole new definition.

“My urge for perfection usually leaves behind a slight undertone of, ‘If only we’d done this-and-that instead of or in addition to…’ – but with the LCT 540 SUBZERO, it’s really hard to find anything that hasn’t been done to make this thing epic. Even for me,” admits LEWITT CEO Roman Perschon. “We questioned A LOT of our endorsers about what they want in a single-pattern microphone. All of them are leading experts in their fields, and they had a huge influence on the final outcome. Their requirements plus lots of very helpful feedback went into developing the LCT 540 SUBZERO, shaping and fine-tuning its crisp, clear sound and turning it into the hero-mic that it now is. From a technical standpoint, “just max out everything” would’ve obviously been a dream assignment for any R&D department – if it weren’t for the caveat that the price shouldn’t be out of this world. But even that worked out just fine. We’ve done a great job on this microphone, and I’m really happy with the result!” concludes Perschon.

The most important feature of any microphone is its overall sonic character – and LEWITT has stuck with its well-known and widely appreciated modern, crystal-clear sound, making the LCT 540 SUBZERO a very capable tool for almost any application. Its premium-quality capsule, together with some very clever circuit design, drops the electrical self-noise to an almost uncanny -1 dB (A) at a sensitivity of 41 mV/Pa, -28 dBV/Pa, and it increases the dynamic range to 132 dB (A) – a true benchmark for studio-grade large-diaphragm condensers. Head of Product Management Moritz Lochner explains: “Everybody thinks 0 dB SPL is the hearing threshold, but that’s in fact only true at 2 kHz. At this point, the LCT 540 SUBZERO actually has self-noise of below -7 dB SPL – hence the name. The acoustic self-noise of 4 dB (A) is caused by random molecules bouncing against the diaphragm. But that’s a cumulative value; if you look at self-noise across the full frequency spectrum, you’ll see that the LCT 540 SUBZERO is all the way below the hearing threshold. It’s literally better than your ears. Describing something frequency-dependent in one single value is nowhere near detailed enough at this level of engineering. We even went and redesigned our self-noise measuring equipment especially for this microphone. To make a long story short: if you want to capture everything without ANY compromise, you’ll need to get an LCT 540 SUBZERO – because ultimately, it’s the details that turn a good recording into something magical.”

The initial small batch of microphones will be available within the next couple of weeks, with final roll-out planned for January 2018. LEWITT is aiming for a very competitive price point, so a street price well below USD 1,000 is to be expected.

More info at www.lewitt-audio.com/LCT540SUBZERO
Attached Thumbnails
Lewitt announces flagship microphone LCT 540 SUBZERO at AES NYC-lewitt_lct540subzero.jpg  
Old 16th October 2017
Lives for gear

Holy hell I'm excited!!. I just got their 440 version and it floored me with the quality, both sonically and design wise, Couldn't believe I had just payed $269 for it.
Old 16th October 2017
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by etrella View Post
Holy hell I'm excited!!. I just got their 440 version and it floored me with the quality, both sonically and design wise, Couldn't believe I had just payed $269 for it.
I am a strong beleiver of Lewitt microphone as I own the LCT 940. I had experience with Audio Technica AT4050, AT4060, Nueman TLM103, Blue Blue Bird and Blue Bottle and never experience jaw dropping at first impression with neither mics like I did with the Lewitt LCT 940. Cant wait to hear wht the new LCT 540 model sound like against the FET side of the LCT 940. Way to go Lewitt!!!
Old 20th October 2017
Lives for gear

Just got told that the price will be $699. That sounds like a steal for specs i'm seeing
Old 21st October 2017
Old 16th November 2017
This looks very promising ! I am currently looking for a quiet Microphone to capture lots of tiny details, since I will join a Project to make a Sound library containing clocks and watches. Also I like to have an LDC around for foley stuff, I don't know why, but I am not the biggest fan of my Shotgun mics result..
Old 16th November 2017
Deleted 6ccb844
Quote:
Originally Posted by etrella View Post
Just got told that the price will be $699. That sounds like a steal for specs i'm seeing
That's actually really good, loving these new "no compromise" mic's at affordable prices.. First time in years the low to mid range seems like a great place to be.!

Personally much more interested in this than any clone..
Old 17th November 2017
I also don't get the vintage hype. I mean there are some cool designs and if you want that flavour there is definitely nothing wrong with it. But to me its like with Cars, Oldtimers look nice and can sound great, but they need a lot of care, tend to break down and so on.. They have a lot of charme, but when I need my car for everyday work, I want something modern and reliable. I mean its not like Microphone technology hasn't evolved.
Old 27th November 2017
Here for the gear

Yo, I'm very excited to get this
Old 1st February 2018
Gear Addict

This looks like it replaces the LCT550, (which had similar marketing around its 0db self noise).

Any word on how it compares to the 550?
Old 1st February 2018
Lives for gear

Can't wait to try it! I wanted the 550, but didn't even realize they were releasing this.

-SD
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search