Sonarworks releases Reference 4!
Old 26th June 2019
ASIO support in Systemwide on Windows no doubt
Old 8th August 2019
Gear Addict

Updated to 4.3.4, but no changelog yet.
Old 9th August 2019
Lives for gear
Does anyone get notifications from Sonarworks when an update has been released? I just went on their website and noticed 4.3.3 was released yesterday.

I received an email from Sonarworks today which was about headphone sales but nothing about the update.

However, 4.3.4.2 seems to be the latest version but no release notes for it.

Sonarworks need to get their act together on informing customers.
Old 9th August 2019
Lives for gear
You should also check out this thread where Sonarworks has been a little more active recently:

Sonarworks releases Reference 4.3 - Adds New Features

Note: I made the same complaint about release notes and not informing users of known issues just in the last day or two. There's some kind of [major, on-going] issue with Systemwide and Windows 1903 and it looks like they still haven't figured out a fix yet.
Old 11th August 2019
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Oracle View Post
Does anyone get notifications from Sonarworks when an update has been released? I just went on their website and noticed 4.3.3 was released yesterday.

I received an email from Sonarworks today which was about headphone sales but nothing about the update.

However, 4.3.4.2 seems to be the latest version but no release notes for it.

Sonarworks need to get their act together on informing customers.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Funkybot View Post
You should also check out this thread where Sonarworks has been a little more active recently:

Sonarworks releases Reference 4.3 - Adds New Features

Note: I made the same complaint about release notes and not informing users of known issues just in the last day or two. There's some kind of [major, on-going] issue with Systemwide and Windows 1903 and it looks like they still haven't figured out a fix yet.
Same issue here. Never get anything about new versions, just emails with promotions and incredibly; emails with surveys about why I haven’t upgraded to version 4 (which I have, I’m on 4.2.2) or why I haven’t upgraded to the latest version (which I won’t until I see a stable version).
Old 11th August 2019
Gear Nut

@ Sonarworks Beyer dt100 must be amongst the most prevalent headphones in the industry. still no support for them.
Old 11th August 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mason View Post
Beyer dt100 must be amongst the most prevalent headphones in the industry. still no support for them.
Isn’t that like putting lipstick on a pig?
Old 12th August 2019
Gear Maniac

Sonarworks needs a “check for updates” tab on the gui I think.
Old 12th August 2019
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mason View Post
@ Sonarworks Beyer dt100 must be amongst the most prevalent headphones in the industry. still no support for them.
They're in the lab! I just hope they make the cut, after our engineers are done.
Old 13th August 2019
Lives for gear

Downloaded the new version and measured my Kii Three speakers. How’s this for L/R channel matching. Sonarworks releases Reference 4!-4da27ba4-2456-44b3-80fe-ead5463575bf.jpg

Lets see if I need to use Sonarworks. I have managed without lately after treating my room more.

I’m still waiting for the option to choose cutoffpoints for the correction to leave say above 600 Hz untouched.

Still think the Kii three’s latency is not compensated for. I have measured my room in Fuzzmeasure a lot and they do not suddenly drop off at 15kHz.

Sonarworks releases Reference 4!-0acc15d6-8dc5-4f2d-b79b-9aeac9ee7ddb.jpg

I need Sonarworks to make my Sennheiser HD600 less fatiguing. Sounds killer from my Rupert neve RNHP fed from my Lynx Hilo.
Attached Thumbnails
Sonarworks releases Reference 4!-4da27ba4-2456-44b3-80fe-ead5463575bf.jpg   Sonarworks releases Reference 4!-0acc15d6-8dc5-4f2d-b79b-9aeac9ee7ddb.jpg  
Old 13th August 2019
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hrodulf View Post
They're in the lab! I just hope they make the cut, after our engineers are done.
that's good news thanks for the info. what do you mean by make the cut?
Old 13th August 2019
Lives for gear

Yeah I think I'm back to using correction again. Would love that 15kHz spike to go away though. Sonarworks ref said the measuring phase should compensate automatically but it seems not enough for Kii's latency (about 90ms).
Old 15th August 2019
Damn, those Kii's are no joke! Interesting about the steep drop in the highs. I have no idea why it would manifest. If the tweeter is super delayed, then problems should appear at 2kHz. Then again, the measurement process does compensate for system latency, can't remember how long was too long, about a second or so.
Old 15th August 2019
Gear Guru

Quote:
Damn, those Kii's are no joke! Interesting about the steep drop in the highs. I have no idea why it would manifest. If the tweeter is super delayed, then problems should appear at 2kHz. Then again, the measurement process does compensate for system latency, can't remember how long was too long, about a second or so.
It has been a while since I calibrated so I can't remember the procedure but is there any sweep going on? Or pulses that increase in frequency? If so could the last measurements get truncated because the delay is too long?

Just a random guess...

Alistair
Old 15th August 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
I Think both mids and tweeter would be delayed as they are in phase, I think it's the bass drivers on the back of the speakers that's aligned with them and maybe additional delays to the whole thing for processing?

Here is multiple measurements from FuzzMeasure, the graph cuts off at 30 kHz it's at 1/12 smoothing as multiple measurements got super chaotic at less.

Sonarworks releases Reference 4!-multiplefr1-12smooth.jpg
Attached Thumbnails
Sonarworks releases Reference 4!-multiplefr1-12smooth.jpg  
Old 9th September 2019
We're releasing a beta version of Reference 4.4

The biggest 2 features, both for Systemwide, are Presets and ASIO mode.

Presets - we have a new sidebar that allows you to assign specific calibration profiles and DSP settings to specific devices. Multiple devices can have the same presets, and multiple presets can be assigned to the same output device.

ASIO mode - if your device is incompatible with WASAPI that Systemwide works in by default, you can switch to ASIO in Systemwide settings.

N.B. Please back up your config file before installing the new beta!

Windows: C:\Users\your username\AppData\Local\Sonarworks\Reference 4\Systemwide\Systemwidecfg.db

macOS: ~/Library/Sonarworks/Reference 4/Systemwide/Systemwidecfg.db

Installation instructions, a short overview and a feedback form are all available here:

https://sonarworks.typeform.com/to/fttxk3

Please try to fill the survey as you go through the software. There's an open question you can use for comments, or you can describe your experience by dropping a line to martins.vilnitis AT sonarworks.com

Thanks in advance!
Old 9th September 2019
Gear Addict

Getting the below error on Logic X 10.4.6 after installing the beta

\U201CLogic Pro X\U201D is damaged and can’t be opened. Delete \U201CLogic Pro X\U201D and download it again from the App Store.

Quote:
We're releasing a beta version of Reference 4.4

The biggest 2 features, both for Systemwide, are Presets and ASIO mode.

Presets - we have a new sidebar that allows you to assign specific calibration profiles and DSP settings to specific devices. Multiple devices can have the same presets, and multiple presets can be assigned to the same output device.

ASIO mode - if your device is incompatible with WASAPI that Systemwide works in by default, you can switch to ASIO in Systemwide settings.

Windows: C:\Users\your username\AppData\Local\Sonarworks\Reference 4\Systemwide\Systemwidecfg.db

macOS: ~/Library/Sonarworks/Reference 4/Systemwide/Systemwidecfg.db

Installation instructions, a short overview and a feedback form are all available here:

https://sonarworks.typeform.com/to/fttxk3

Please try to fill the survey as you go through the software. There's an open question you can use for comments, or you can describe your experience by dropping a line to martins.vilnitis AT sonarworks.com

Thanks in advance!
Old 9th September 2019
Gear Guru

Quote:
As you guys know that we need to backup the config file, shouldn't the installer do that for us?

Alistair
Old 9th September 2019
Gear Head

Hi All:

I'm seriously considering buying this system, but had a couple of questions: (1). Doesn't the fact that your "meat-absorber" body is moving around the room while holding the mic profoundly influence the measurements? That and the absence of a body in the engineer's chair at mix position. Wouldn't it be better, if more difficult, to use a boom stand and move it around, then sit in the chair before making the measurements? (2). When the response is optimized for the mix position, is it possible that the other spots in the room (for the clients) would be made worse?

Thanks!

Robert
Old 9th September 2019
Gear Addict
Quote:
Originally Posted by rcartwright View Post
Hi All:

I'm seriously considering buying this system, but had a couple of questions: (1). Doesn't the fact that your "meat-absorber" body is moving around the room while holding the mic profoundly influence the measurements? That and the absence of a body in the engineer's chair at mix position. Wouldn't it be better, if more difficult, to use a boom stand and move it around, then sit in the chair before making the measurements? (2). When the response is optimized for the mix position, is it possible that the other spots in the room (for the clients) would be made worse?

Thanks!

Robert
I've done all my measurements with a mic stand. Does a smash up job...
Old 9th September 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by zedsdeadbaby View Post
Me too, with me crawling on the floor lol.

I find it’s rewarding to be precise with the measurment process. Measure all those distance between speakers and mic. Channel matching in both frequency, timing and volume will be more spot on.

This also applies to setting up the system in the room. I set it up symmetrically with same distances to walls etc, including a laser getting speakers at the same angle towards me and at the same exact height. That’s why my channels match well and the phantom center is rock solid.
Old 10th September 2019
Gear Head

Quote:
Thanks! I'm thinking that it would be worth the extra effort. I'm surprised that Sonarworks doesn't suggest it for the best measurements.
Old 11th September 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by rcartwright View Post
Thanks! I'm thinking that it would be worth the extra effort. I'm surprised that Sonarworks doesn't suggest it for the best measurements.
That's because Reference's measurement algorithm was designed with slight microphone movements (so it can be done handheld) and meat absorbers in mind. Or at least that's what the reps told me at AES last year, LOL!
Old 11th September 2019
Here is my plot for my tiny 8ft x 10ft room that I've had to move into.

Adam A7x's are unusable without Sonarworks, I have a few bass traps in the corners that stopped also the serious clap echoe test.

Carpet helps as does a bit of carpet covering the rear window that faces the monitors, more to block out the sunlight reflecting on my screen than anything else. Door is always open to let some of the sound out.

If I move my head back a couple of inches though the bass doubles up so sweet spot is important.

In this example a tighter measuring spot would be better than the wide circle that I would never move in. Sonarworks if you are reading the big measuring circle area works great for bigger studio's but I rarely move more than a few inches outside my seating area so some smaller measurement options would be good.
Attached Thumbnails
Sonarworks releases Reference 4!-capture.png  
Old 12th September 2019
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by doom64 View Post
That's because Reference's measurement algorithm was designed with slight microphone movements (so it can be done handheld) and meat absorbers in mind. Or at least that's what the reps told me at AES last year, LOL!
Hmmm...I'll have to think about that. Thanks!
Old 4 weeks ago
Gear Head

Quote:
I emailed Sonarworks and asked if it would be at all better to use a mic stand, and also if optimizing the sweet spot might make it worse for a client outside of that spot, and got this response:

Edgars Liepiņš (Sonarworks)
Sep 18, 12:37 EEST

Hey Robert,

You can use it from the hand. That said, it would be more precise if you were to use a mic stand. As for the "sweet spot" the difference is noticable if you listen closely, but i doesn't make it worse for anyone outside the sweet spot.

Let me know if there's anything else I can do for you!

Kind regards,
Edgars
Old 4 weeks ago
Gear Head

Is there any way to make the measurement program signal go thru another program/vst?

My monitors (hedd type 07) have a standalone and vst plugin to flatten their eq and phase... but I just cant find a way to make the signal for the measurement of the room "go thru" it. While apparently it is quite easy to make this happen for Mac user sadly im on win 10 and cannot find a way to do it.

Also is there any chance that in the future we could add vst plugins to systemwide? So i could for example use GoodHertz CanOpener studio or Wave abbey road studio 3 outside the daw
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

I've been checking out the demo, and even without the Sonarworks mic I get some pretty good results. I guess everyones experiences vary depending on what is needed to achieve a flatter response - in my room, which is already pretty good, there is some low-mid improvement that makes everything a little clearer. Also below 80 hz has similar improvements.

A couple of questions I have :-

- Has anyone had a noticeable improvement in measurements with REP or Fuzzmeasure?

- How is the time based ringing dealt with in Reference, if at all? Specifically them pesky standing waves that can ring out?
Old 3 days ago
Lives for gear

Okay got the full package, including the SW microphone. The SW mic made a small, but noticeable difference for the better over my own mic that I was using before with the demo software.

I am most definitely impressed though. Originally I had to have my listening position about 35 cm more towards the middle of the room than I would have liked, so as to smooth out the lower mid-range lumpy response. So I tried moving my desk and speakers back to an ideal room layout, and without SW Ref on it sounds pretty bad - switch on SW though, and huge improvement. Sounds better than than the original listening position without SW but with more physical space in the room. Night and day difference, and I can pick out in a blind test every time when SW is engaged. Very impressive. Thank you SW!
Old 3 days ago
Gear Maniac

I don't know if they said it before, but I recommend not leaving the sonarworks flat.
A b & k curve, or something similar, is necessary to translate well and not drill the ears
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search