The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Sonarworks releases Reference 4!
Old 13th May 2019
I'm going to blow some smoke up Sonarworks butt here....

Went to Oxford to help a mate out who has had to downsize his studio to his wife's awful sounding office, gone went the huge oversized monitors and replaced by some 4 inch little yamaha older monitors (not sure which but they were dinky and black. The setup was honky and even relatively measurable eq adjustments were just not being heard.

So we downloaded the trial for Sonarwaorks 4 and used my Sonarworks calibrated mic to do the 46 measurements.

I trust this guys reaction when something is right audiowise and the reaction was worth the long journey in itself. Sonarworks had not only made the room listenable but also detected a 4ms phase issue which once you hear the corrected version... you can now hear that it was indeed totally messed up in the phase department.

One very happy trial user and a new customer. Anecdotal evidence sure but also very true, the difference was more than any new gear could have improved on. I think a new soundcard is going to be needed with that 4ms delay oh and the 3db in volume dip on the right hand speaker.
Old 13th May 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by jayfett View Post
Exactly... Contests are nice and all, but how about instead you relay actual customer concerns back to HQ...

You guys are playing in a narrow market, it's not like there's millions of us and tens of thousands of use cases... We all basically want the same thing...

And it's not like SW is a cheap product... People's expectations are well within reason considering what they paid for a system where the developer stripped features away, and hasn't made much headway on new ones...
I imagine their current goal might be getting headphone correction on every iPhone and Android. Selling more personalized headphones and earbuds (when they figure that out) to the consumer market.
Old 24th May 2019
Gear Nut

I'd like to hear how people are relating Sonarworks to multiple speaker reference listening.

First, to use Sonarworks with multiple speaker reference listening, I imagine one would need several output buses in the DAW, and each bus would have the Sonarworks plugin on it with a different monitor profile, and the bus would lead to a direct connection out from DA to speakers? Because otherwise, you'd have to change profile inside the Sonarworks control software every time you switch to different speakers, right?

In other words, tools like Mackie Big knob and other hardware speaker-switchers won't really work with Sonarworks, unless you're prepare to switch profiles back and forth all the time?

But also, using different speakers is kindof counteractive to the Sonarworks concept, right? Since Sonarworks' goal is to make the sound very close to the same no matter what you're listening through, right?

Do you use multiple speakers to reference listen through?
Do you use them with Sonarworks?
What is your solution to make that work reasonably effortless?
And if you use several speakers along with Sonarworks, what is your viewpoint on using different speakers with a software that aims to make all sound the same?
Old 24th May 2019
Lives for gear

I use Sonarworks with my controller and multiple monitors. I simply switch profiles. Takes just a moment.
The software doesn’t make them sound the same. By removing the room effects, it lets them sound like the best version of themselves. My Genelecs don’t sound like my ATCs which don’t sound like my Pelonis, even after the correction. But I do feel I can rely on what I hear on all of them.
Old 6th June 2019
Gear Addict

New Sonarworks version is up 4.3.0. build 88.

Includes a new 'dark mode' and a new 'mixed' filter type sitting in-between zero latency and linear phase!

I feel that with every new version I should also redo the calibration as well
Old 6th June 2019
Lives for gear

not supported for yosemite 10.10 ... x) sad
Old 11th June 2019
Quote:
Originally Posted by kirito View Post
not supported for yosemite 10.10 ... x) sad
Sorry, couldn't go below 10.12 on this one. Two reasons for this -

1. It wouldn't allow us to take advantage of some newer technologies and bring the latency down for Systemwide.

2. Creating two different versions of the software would prolong the development significantly. Not to mention the extra load on supporting two product lines.

BTW, if someone wants to get a nicer deal on Ref4, we're doing summer sales with -20% off.
Old 11th June 2019
unr
Gear Maniac

Thanks for finally implementing most recent used profiles selection in the 4.3 Reference plugin!

Btw: Also Mixed Phase mode is back (for the people who requested it several times )
Old 11th June 2019
Now this is an update I can get behind! The return of mixed phase mode means I can finally update (was holding out on an early version of 4).

I really like the new dark mode, as well as the latency buffer setting option - everything just seems better functionially and smoother.

Well done Sonarworks.

Hrodulf can you explain the differences with th “b” and “c” measurement modes and when you might want to try those instead of the default?

I am currently auditioning a few different calibration profiles that I took using all 3 options, trying to determine which is the most accurate on my setup - they are all a bit different, but these small changes make a big difference to the overall perception of the soundstage
Old 11th June 2019
adl
Lives for gear

Hm, mixed Phase is showing worse linearity compared to the minimum latency setting. Shouldn't the mixed phase give me better results / better linearity?
Old 11th June 2019
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hrodulf View Post
Sorry, couldn't go below 10.12 on this one. Two reasons for this -

1. It wouldn't allow us to take advantage of some newer technologies and bring the latency down for Systemwide.

2. Creating two different versions of the software would prolong the development significantly. Not to mention the extra load on supporting two product lines.

BTW, if someone wants to get a nicer deal on Ref4, we're doing summer sales with -20% off.
before updating , 2 questions :

Do we have option to roll back if problems encoutered ?
Do we have to re do mesurment ?

Thks
Old 11th June 2019
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeezo View Post
before updating , 2 questions :

Do we have option to roll back if problems encoutered ?
Do we have to re do mesurment ?

Thks
You can get the legacy versions here - https://sonarworks.com/reference/archive

No re-measurement is necessary. It should work with every Reference 4 era profile.
Old 11th June 2019
Gear Guru

Quote:
You can get the legacy versions here - https://sonarworks.com/reference/archive

No re-measurement is necessary. It should work with every Reference 4 era profile.
Thks , do you have a link for the update ?
Old 11th June 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by adl View Post
Hm, mixed Phase is showing worse linearity compared to the minimum latency setting. Shouldn't the mixed phase give me better results / better linearity?
I remembered linear phase to have the flattest resulting curve after correction. With my Kii monitors and Sennheiser HD600 I find I like linear mode best, with Dynaudio and PSI I liked mixed mode better.
Old 11th June 2019
Lives for gear

Now if we only could get that possibility to limit the range of frequencies corrected I’d start using again.
Old 11th June 2019
Lives for gear

did anyone get this working happily with headphones and a subpac?
Old 11th June 2019
Hrodulf can you explain the differences with th “b” and “c” measurement modes and when you might want to try those instead of the default?
Old 11th June 2019
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by mutetourettes View Post
did anyone get this working happily with headphones and a subpac?
try to use subpac before sonarwoks , it doesn't have to be corrected
Old 11th June 2019
adl
Lives for gear

Just a heads up that after running the offline installer over the previous installed version the plugin itself got installed in a different place (there wasn´t an option for a specific place during the installation). I got an error message after i opened my DAW that the "Soundworks.dll" was missing, that´s how i found out.
I located it in a different folder than my usual plugin folder and moved it to where i used to have it and all is fine now. Just thought it might happen to someone else as well. Didn´t had this problem with previous updates.
Also attached are screenshots from "zero latency" and "mixed". "Mixed" should provide a better correction, but it doesn´t look as "linear" compared to "zero latency".
Left is "zero latency", right is "mixed".

EDIT:
Also: when running the plugin the Systemwide should get disabled, right? There was an option for that previously. but now there isn´t and also the Systemwide is not disabled when opening the plugin. Anybody experiencing that as well?
Attached Thumbnails
Sonarworks releases Reference 4!-zero-latency.png   Sonarworks releases Reference 4!-mixed.png  
Old 11th June 2019
Gear Addict

Hi guys,

I would love to be able to enable just the volume difference on the Listening Spot menu. Enabling the timing/samples differences just kills my audio image, sounds like a stereo widener effect.

Best,
Daniel.
Old 11th June 2019
@ Hrodulf

Or if anyone else knows.

I'm still on 4.0115, if I was to download and install 4.3, would I be able to just load up my saved calibrations and use them without any changes to the sound? Or would be better off doing new measurements?

I tend to use flat and zero latency mode.
Old 12th June 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by blayz2002 View Post
@ Hrodulf

Or if anyone else knows.

I'm still on 4.0115, if I was to download and install 4.3, would I be able to just load up my saved calibrations and use them without any changes to the sound? Or would be better off doing new measurements?

I tend to use flat and zero latency mode.
worked for me, no change in the calibrations here
Old 12th June 2019
Quote:
Thks , do you have a link for the update ?
Just get the latest installer here - https://sonarworks.com/reference/downloads

As for re-measuring, no need to do it. The new filter will work fine with any Reference 4 measurements.
Old 12th June 2019
Gear Guru

Guyz is the pre ringing enhaced in mixed mod verus SR 3 ?
Old 12th June 2019
Quote:
Guyz is the pre ringing enhaced in mixed mod verus SR 3 ?
To be honest, the mixed phase filter development was quite the task. The current version of mixed phase has a better pre-ringing behavior than the old "optimum" one.

We almost released a super low pre-ringing mixed phase filter. It stomped the old one in listening tests and seemed like the perfect candidate. In the end it turned out that it did a crappy job in correcting the low end (so it might've been more bassy and thus people might've liked it more). So at the end the design goal was to create a very linear phase filter with lower latency and decent pre-ringing characteristics. No free lunch in DSP, as it turns out!

With that said, we have some tricks in our filter design bag, but I can't reveal anything yet.
Old 12th June 2019
Lives for gear
Why is dark mode only available through the Systemwide App but not the Reference 4 plugin? I only see a bell icon in the Reference 4 Plugin on the top right hand side.
Old 12th June 2019
Gear Guru

Quote:
To be honest, the mixed phase filter development was quite the task. The current version of mixed phase has a better pre-ringing behavior than the old "optimum" one.

We almost released a super low pre-ringing mixed phase filter. It stomped the old one in listening tests and seemed like the perfect candidate. In the end it turned out that it did a crappy job in correcting the low end (so it might've been more bassy and thus people might've liked it more). So at the end the design goal was to create a very linear phase filter with lower latency and decent pre-ringing characteristics. No free lunch in DSP, as it turns out!

With that said, we have some tricks in our filter design bag, but I can't reveal anything yet.
Great news !! Gonna give a try ...
Old 12th June 2019
Hrodulf can you explain the differences with the “b” and “c” measurement modes and when you might want to try those instead of the default?
Old 12th June 2019
Quote:
Originally Posted by filterfreak View Post
worked for me, no change in the calibrations here
Thanks, Filterfreak.

And I assume no changes in the perception of the sound correction? That's what I'm most worried about.
Old 12th June 2019
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Oracle View Post
Why is dark mode only available through the Systemwide App but not the Reference 4 plugin? I only see a bell icon in the Reference 4 Plugin on the top right hand side.
Same here… How can I make the plugin "Black" ?
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search