The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Antelope's New Edge & Verge Modeling Microphones Condenser Microphones
Old 10th October 2017
Lives for gear

Antelope's New Edge & Verge Modeling Microphones

Edge Dual-Capsule Large Diaphragm Modeling Microphone. (for Antelope Interfaces)

Edge $799 Verge $149

A Performance Friendly Way To Record

Antelope Audio’s Accusonic 3D Modeling will transform the exquisitely designed Edge Dual Capsule Large Diaphragm Microphone into several vintage replicas giving you complete control over proximity effect, off-axis response and even allow you to change polar patterns during or after recording. You can choose from a collection of classic expensive microphones and record the results as you monitor live, bringing out a musician’s best possible performance. The FPGA Modeling Engine then allows for Mic Preamp Modeling, Vintage Compressors & EQ’s and even Reverb all in real time for a true hardware performance experience.

Natural Sounding Edge Terminated Capsules

Edge is a dual-capsule condenser microphone with the electrical lead attached to the edge of the diaphragm, instead of attaching it to the center. This approach offers a smoother and more natural sounding response, a technique employed on some very desirable vintage microphones, including the revered C12, which Edge models beautifully. Edge also features custom Igor Levin designed fully discrete electronics. Precision components encased in a carefully crafted enclosure with contours and shape for optimal sonic performance. An included cable splits the signal into two outputs, which are perfectly matched and calibrated for the Accusonic preamps inside Antelope’s Discrete Interfaces and for the Discrete Preamp Modeling inside their FPGA Equipped units. In addition to the C12/C12VR, Edge models several Tube and FET classics, such as U47,U67, U87, M49, M149, UMB57, TLM103, C414, ELA M251, AK47, C800g, and ribbon favorites R122 and 4038.

Accusonic inside the FPGA

Antelope’s FPGA is the perfect modeling platform for monitoring and recording performances in real time. When combined with preamp modeling and the huge selection of incredible sounding AFX Vintage Compressors & EQ’s, these new modeling microphones will comprise a truly cutting edge front end offering exceptional convenience and astounding sonics. Signals can be recorded with and without modeling, allowing the sound of a particular combination to inspire a great performance, yet affording the engineer the freedom to further tweak the final sound during mixdown using the new AFX2DAW Plugin, which supports AAX, VST and AU formats.

Powerful Control and Complete Recall

Antelope’s AFX Microphone user interface offers maximum flexibility when choosing and auditioning microphone models. Control the Polar Patter, Positional Axis, Low End Filtering and even mix together two different mic signals at once. All settings can be controlled from the interface control panel and controlled and automated inside the DAW using the AFX2DAW Plugin and complete channel strips of up to 8 AFX can be saved and recalled inside your session. You can have as many mic models active as you have available preamps in your Antelope interface, allowing you to add even more Antelope mics like the new Verge to use with your Edge, even add several mics to track an entire drum kit or a complete band using Antelope Mic Modeling on all Mic Inputs!

Affordable Bundles Make It Easy to Expand

Antelope’s Discrete 4 and Discrete 8 Interfaces feature ready to go bundles with both Edge and Verge. Owners of other Antelope FPGA ready interfaces are eligible for preferred pricing for individual mics and bundles.

Edge (big vocal mic):
Diaphragm: Condenser - Double sided with 10microns gold sputtered membranes
Freq. response: 20HZ ~ 20KHZ
Sensitivity: -36dB (-1 to +3dB)
THD+N: -116dB
Power Requirements: 48V DC Phantom Power
Old 10th October 2017
Lives for gear

Preorder Yours Now

Old 14th October 2017
Lives for gear

A few of the upcoming mic models

Here are just a few of the models we plan to emulate soon.

Old 15th October 2017
Gear Maniac

Wow. GS is reaching a new low when even third party retailers are considered targets for daring to stock new products at the listed retail price. What exactly does bagging Vintage King even have to do with the product?

Is every sound engineer or muso too salty these days?
Old 15th October 2017
Gear Addict
Quote:
Originally Posted by rtcnelmes View Post
Given Animalcloset's reliability issues, I'd give my money to Clyborne any day of the week. Also, Animalcloset is a terrible person to buy from unless you're spending your soul. Animalcloset doesn't care one bit about the little guy.

Funny how easy it is to throw around un-substantiated accusations in an anonymous forum.

As for me, I'm extremely hard to please, with well-credited producer friends who are even harder to impress. All of of us continue to use Antelope because of their quality and reliability. We don't use Slate plugs or devices for many reasons, but we also have better things to do than go around trolling Slate forums or remind people about the *cough* one or two promises that may or may not have been delivered on time.

And what about Townshend? Going to bash their system too?

So, since I've had yet another couple of nights of absolutely f/a sleep due to a newborn, I'm going to call you out for the troll you are.

Produce evidence to back up your claims, so we can address them one by one (incidentally, I have quite a collection of scientific and academic degrees, and a series of stints and invites to debate at US Congress, European and Welsh Parliaments), so I live for this.
Except at the moment, I'm living for my daughters.

So crawl back under the bridge from whence you came, troll, and know you're impotent yapping is falling on deaf ears.

Slate is good at what they do.

Antelope is exceptional at what they do.

You, however, are rather trivially poor at whatever it is you think you do.

Please forgive me if the above comes across as being without grace nor patience - again, I am running on little sleep and will not tolerate a blunderbuss of bullsh*t being fired without substantiation.
Well Dang......lol...
I felt every piece of that shut-down....lol

But seriously, i currently run the Zen Studio (Original RED)... Love that thing.. Works great. Had issues in the beginning, but it got sorted through support and some trial and error.

At least for me on Windows 7x64bit, the drivers are solid, the unit just works, the routing is exceptional (once you wrap you head around it) and the sound is more than anything i've ever had before......

So as far as the new mic system goes, i'm looking forward to hearing great things from users who would actually BUY and HEAR it for themselves..
Old 15th October 2017
Gear Head
Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkandKurious View Post
I can understand not wanting to explain things, but it's pretty out of the blue for a product only reps have held in their hands. I guess you can buy stocks in popcorn while you wait for this to come out?

I'll wait until I try these before I have an opinion, but so far neither Vintage King nor Antelope have given me stress, and I'm pretty small time - neither company has done as much evil to me as Google.
^^What DarkandKurious said.

Very seriously though, if you don't want people to think you're a troll, then don't act like one. Two unsubstantiated posts in succession, attacking products as yet unavailable and untested by the users, and companies otherwise respected by many if not most.

After all, if you had better things to do, why did you bother to reply?
Old 15th October 2017
Gear Addict

I wonder how The Verge is gonna do in french speaking markets..
Old 15th October 2017
Gear interested

I used an RME Fireface 800 for many years. It was great and a work horse. My friend suggested antelope as my next upgrade, but I thought no, because I read too many posts like yours animal. Well guess what? I did buy an Orion Studio, and I have had ZERO reliability issues since my purchase nearly 5 months ago. It also sounds incredible too. Not sure if you had a dud, but I'm glad I didnt listen to people like you. I almost didn't buy one.
Old 15th October 2017
Gear interested

I must be spending serious money at VintageKing because they treat me like a king. In reguards to Antelope, I would like to hear you substantiate your claim.
Old 15th October 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkandKurious View Post
Wow. GS is reaching a new low when even third party retailers are considered targets for daring to stock new products at the listed retail price. What exactly does bagging Vintage King even have to do with the product?

Is every sound engineer or muso too salty these days?
That salt comes from their dried up bank accounts. Then comes the entitlement attitude when they should just be happy with the gear they already own.
Old 15th October 2017
Lives for gear

Wow... for a minute I almost thought I clicked on a Slate thread.
Old 15th October 2017
Here for the gear

Do you have any Edge comparison recordings we could hear?
Old 15th October 2017
Hey Marcel - I want a Verge. When can I buy one?
Old 15th October 2017
Tui
Gear Guru

xthextruthx, joined May 2017, 3 posts, every single post about Antelope gear, praises Antelope.

rtcnelmes, joined February 2017, 31 posts, every single post about Antelope gear, praises Antelope.

SRV463, joined January 2010, 1 single post yet a member for more than 5 years, praises Antelope.

DarasinaStudio, joined March 2014, 1 single post, praises Antelope. "Antelope is an untouchable company honestly"

helipilot58, joined February 2008, ZERO posts yet a member for more than 5 years, wants to know more about Antelope.

IMS731, joined February 2008, 159 posts 146 of which are about Antelope, praises Antelope.

Funny, isn't it.

Last edited by Tui; 15th October 2017 at 09:51 PM..
Old 15th October 2017
Gear Head
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tui View Post
xthextruthx, joined May 2017, 3 posts, every single post about Antelope gear, praises Antelope.

rtcnelmes, joined February 2017, 31 posts, every single post about Antelope gear, praises Antelope.

SRV463, joined January 2010, 1 single post yet a member for more than 5 years, praises Antelope.

DarasinaStudio, joined March 2014, 1 single post, praises Antelope. "Antelope is an untouchable company honestly"

helipilot58, joined February 2008, ZERO posts yet a member for more than 5 years, wants to know more about Antelope.

IMS731, joined February 2008, 159 posts 146 of which are about Antelope, praises Antelope.

Funny, isn't it.
Absolutely hilarious when you read the posts - most of which seeking help from the Antelope community or making requests for features/windows thunderbolt drivers.

And if you'd have checked on one of the most recent posts, you'll see my history with hardware and software, as well as my response to a similarly poorly constructed inference regarding my post history.

Needless to say, it's more your 'research' skills that have a slapstick ring to them.

This is a fine example of judging a book by its cover.

Will you read this? Probably not. Will your basic academic skills improve... Well, that's up to you.

The most important part of research, though, is knowing how to ask the right questions at every stage of digging deeper.

Maybe, in the future, I may invest in another system by another company, but for so many reasons (see above... Or in the references you suggested), but as of now, Antelope and Clyborne have impressed me no end - so much more than any small or big company I've worked with before - they have consistently gone the extra mile, usually at detriment to themselves, and are constantly improving on all feedback given. That is how they've won mine and others loyalty.

Why not comment on other products or posts by other people on other things?
What's the point? Seriously. I genuinely don't see the point in running my mouth or getting involved in things that I either know nothing about or do not concern me.

Unlike an awful lot of GS.

Be careful about casting us as one-dimensional characters, because we may think the same of you! A company's most loyal customers are also often is harshest critics.

But they'll be damned if the imbecilic regurgitations of the mildly intellectually endowed are going to tarnish these woods.

You may find a warm welcome and experienced users bending over backwards to help had you approached with honest intentions.

And you still can.

Funny, isn't it?
Old 15th October 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tui View Post

Funny, isn't it.
Actually, it wasn't funny at all. I worked closely with several of these guys personally to help get them through various questions, both before, during and after their purchases. They became through this process very loyal Antelope users, but they were nearly all very tough on us when something went amiss and several of these guys continue to provide helpful suggestions/requests, such as asking for TB windows drivers or a certain Bus Compressor model with an S and an L in the name.

I suggest you actually READ the posts they made that you so diligently and oddly meticulously researched. Now, to me, that is rather "funny". Oh, was there some reason for you to post this? Are you interested in our new products, because I'd be happy to suggest a dealer and answer your product questions too.

Last edited by Clybourne; 16th October 2017 at 06:26 AM..
Old 16th October 2017
Lives for gear

For those of us that love antelope products Can we get back to more talk about the verge? Samples? What preamps are being modeled?
Old 16th October 2017
Here for the gear

Hi,
Does the Edge system only work with Antelope interfaces?
Thanks
Old 16th October 2017
Quote:
Originally Posted by Axon Jackson View Post
Hi,
Does the Edge system only work with Antelope interfaces?
Thanks
Well yes, of course. It requires the software that runs in the FPGA that's in the Antelope interfaces
Old 17th October 2017
Wow these mics look fantastic! Nice design. I'm curious as to the plug ins also. Ironic that a company like Slate started with plug ins and now is morphing into hardware (aside from Dragon), where Antelope started with hardware. Personally I'd love to see a one or two channel converter. I've heard great things about the converters (and don't need more than two)..... Good times for us all in the virtual mic world!
Old 19th October 2017
Are there any antelope experts/reps on this thread?

1. I’d love to hear some demo videos!

2. Will the mic modeling work with a Goliath?

3. I’m not familiar with how this fpga thing compares with or differs from DSP based stuff like UAD:

A. How does the max number of instances of an effect/Model work?

B. Do different Antelope interfaces offer more instances on different products? Will a Goliath or 32+ give me more instances than a cheaper interface?

C. What kind of Antelope system would be needed to compare to the power of a UAD octo? Forget the quality of the models or the differences in available types; what would I need to get the same relative number of tracks worth of effects?

D. Is there any plan to offer a product with JUST the modeling? I’d love to add some of those models without sacrificing my beloved BURL setup.
Old 20th October 2017
+1 for demo sounds ! Nice descriptions are nice, but hearing it yourself is something completely different
Old 20th October 2017
Marcel - so what use would you suggest for the Verge, as opposed to the mor expensive mic? Are there different emulation plugins for each?
Old 23rd October 2017
@Clybourne gotta ask my question above again...
Old 25th October 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by climber View Post
@Clybourne gotta ask my question above again...
I'd rather answer as I receive a list of models for each, but the physics of the small condenser means it will model more similar smaller mics. The larger will model larger condensers.
Old 25th October 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by DomiBabi View Post
Are there any antelope experts/reps on this thread?

1. I’d love to hear some demo videos!

We'll certainly have some coming.

2. Will the mic modeling work with a Goliath?

Yes, it will work on several of our FPGA units, but not immediately out of the gate. Stay tuned for more news on this.

3. I’m not familiar with how this fpga thing compares with or differs from DSP based stuff like UAD:

A. How does the max number of instances of an effect/Model work?

I don't yet have the instance numbers, but they will most likely match the number of mic inputs on a given device.

B. Do different Antelope interfaces offer more instances on different products? Will a Goliath or 32+ give me more instances than a cheaper interface?

Currently, all of our instances of FPGA FX are the same on all devices.

C. What kind of Antelope system would be needed to compare to the power of a UAD octo? Forget the quality of the models or the differences in available types; what would I need to get the same relative number of tracks worth of effects?

The two systems are quite different. Right now, the maximum channel strips is 16 on any given device. Some of our users are using two interfaces to raise that to 32. But, keep in mind, that's 16 "stacks" of FX up to 64+ total AFX.

D. Is there any plan to offer a product with JUST the modeling? I’d love to add some of those models without sacrificing my beloved BURL setup.

It's pretty cost effective to use a Discrete 4 or Discrete 8 as the modeling front end of any interface.
Thanks for your great questions. I did my best to answer them above in bold.
Old 25th October 2017
Lives for gear

How is this different from Slate's "Virtual Microphone System"? Besides being about the same price, I don't see any difference really.

I won't compare it to the Townsend Sphere (L22) because the Townsend is a much deeper product that is able to be used with (among hundreds of others) the UAD platform for its low-latency processing. The Townsend cannot be used with the Antelope products and still get low-latency, which is why I'm guessing Antelope has decided to make their own in this product?
Old 25th October 2017
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clybourne View Post
I'd rather answer as I receive a list of models for each, but the physics of the small condenser means it will model more similar smaller mics. The larger will model larger condensers.
Ok... that’s as expected. so I assume that you haven’t actually heard these yet?
Old 25th October 2017
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clybourne View Post
Thanks for your great questions. I did my best to answer them above in bold.
Thanks for the quick response and thoughtful answers!

So, my thinking is that Antelope would be savy to clarify how the product works and in what way it differs from the competition.

Is this fpga lined up to compete with UAD, or am I coming to a false conclusion? I know there is an interface involved, and it has a different workflow, but that isn’t value-added for someone strictly looking to employ those tasty effects.

I love to see some sort of benchmark in a real-world environment. This looks so promising and useful, but I don’t have the info I need to make an educated decision.

The new products look lovely BTW.
Old 25th October 2017
Here for the gear

Wow another one. I like innovation, so will keep my eyes open for this.
New Reply Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook  Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter  Submit Thread to LinkedIn LinkedIn  Submit Thread to Google+ Google+  Submit Thread to Reddit Reddit 

Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search