The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Antelope's New Edge & Verge Modeling Microphones Condenser Microphones
Old 25th October 2017
Gear Maniac
Quote:
Originally Posted by slammy80 View Post
How is this different from Slate's "Virtual Microphone System"? Besides being about the same price, I don't see any difference really.
One obvious difference is the fact you can switch polar patterns, just like with the Sphere. Slate's VMS' mic hardware are all cardioid, so even if you'd call up, say, the VMS' R121 model, which in the hardware world has a figure 8 polar pattern, the VMS' hardware polar pattern will still be cardioid. Which is one of the reasons I held off from buying a VMS system.

Now, with Antelope getting ahead of Slate - who's still to release his VRS audio interface - I'm interested in how this whole Edge system stacks up in the relatively new world of mic modelling. I just read the positive review of Sphere in SOS magazine, so I'm hoping they'll eventually do a review of this system and a shootout between the three. I know the Lewitt LCT 640 TS isn't a modelling mic, but the fact its polar patterns can be changed even after recording also makes it an interesting contender in this game.
Old 26th October 2017
Quote:
Originally Posted by DomiBabi View Post
Is this fpga lined up to compete with UAD, or am I coming to a false conclusion? I know there is an interface involved, and it has a different workflow, but that isn’t value-added for someone strictly looking to employ those tasty effects.
From what I gather, yes their FPGA interfaces are similar to a UAD interface: real time (ultra low latency) emulation of an analog recording chain (preamp, compressor, etc) which includes mic modelling if you hook up a Verge or an Edge.

Differences with UAD is you get the whole FX package out of the box, but you have to pay extra to use it on all channels at once (I believe the base price is for 1 channel of DSP on Discrete 4 and 2 channels on Discrete 8). And the price to unlock all channels is not cheap, but UAD plugins do get expensive fast.

In both cases, your real time plugins won't run on other systems. Once you buy into a system, you're sort of locked into it.
Old 28th October 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by ahrayeph View Post
I just read the positive review of Sphere in SOS magazine, so I'm hoping they'll eventually do a review of this system and a shootout between the three.
They'll never do it unfortunately... for the same reason that no major journalist is willing to shootout and compare Sphere to VMS.
Old 28th October 2017
Gear Maniac

I think that is a big mistake that you can't use these microphones without antelope audio interface.
Old 3rd November 2017
Lives for gear

Will these mics work with the preamps in the Orion Studio HD?
Old 10th November 2017
Hello World !
I've been reading this place for few months. But, this is my 1st time to write.
I even registered to express my feelings.

I'm interested in Antelope Discerete 8 with all microphones. And, I've few questions.Which I was not able to find.

Now it's my 10th year of DAW practice as a hobbyist. And, I need a total upgrade.

I've been using DJ type of ad/da, ie; KA6 from NI. It's analog 4 i/o is not enough. Thus I need an ad/da with adequate converter.

At first I was interested in Orion Studio rev.2017. Because, all my facebook friends from Waves, Slate, Harrison groups highly praised it's converter and plugins. And as I understand, all plugins comes free and battle ready/functional with Orion Studio rev.2017.
Plugins with external processing is very important for me.
I was lured towards UAD's "Buy one, get another free". But the issue is I'm a die-hard-fan of Windows 7. Which UAD will never understand.

Thus, while surfing and googling I found Discrete 8 with microphones. And, since I'm going total upgrade. I am interested.

But, after reading above comments/answers, I'm in doubt.

The questions are :
1) How many plugins can I use in Discrete 8 ? How many chanstrip can I make ?
(chanstrip such as in Harrison mixer, or fat chanel of presonus)
2) How many plugins will come for free ?
3) Which converter is better, Discrete 8 or Orion rev.2017 ? I've never used Antelope product. So, I'm unaware which is best for my need.

I write music by using Avid Sibelius. And, make vst audios. Usually my tracks are around 30.
Musicians read/listens and plays instruments or/and sings.
Usually I record 1 at a time, but I've used 2 or 3 microphones too.

Please, suggest me. Which product is best for me.
a) Discrete 8 with or without microphones.
b) Orion Studio rev.2017 with or without microphones.

Thank you !
Old 10th November 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by papaki23 View Post
I think that is a big mistake that you can't use these microphones without antelope audio interface.
Another big mistake is that because the plug-ins are locked to hardware I don't see many reviews on whether the antelope plugins are good or not. No reviews no buy for me.
Old 10th November 2017
OMU
Lives for gear

UAD plugins are also locked to hardware and that doesn't stop people praising them. Just saying
Old 10th November 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by doom64 View Post
Another big mistake is that because the plug-ins are locked to hardware I don't see many reviews on whether the antelope plugins are good or not. No reviews no buy for me.
They're an extension of the hardware though.
Old 11th November 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbjp View Post
They're an extension of the hardware though.
I understand that but if I don't know if they sound good or not then the selling point is lost. If they are great plugins then I may buy the hardware just to get the software.
Old 11th November 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
I understand that but if I don't know if they sound good or not then the selling point is lost. If they are great plugins then I may buy the hardware just to get the software.
I think you’re looking at it wrong. They’re not even doing a UAD with dedicated processors.
They sell converters/interfaces that have DSP capabilities.
They’d have to create an intel coded plugin just for the sake of demos, and these plugins will not be 100% the same as their FPGA offerings, so why bother? They’re not a DAW plugin company.
Old 11th November 2017
Quote:
They aren’t “locked to the hardware”, they are running IN the firmware INSIDE the interface hardware. UAD plugins are external plugins that use the hardware to assist their processing. If you aren’t interested in buying an Antelope interface, there is probably nothing for you to see here. For those of us who either already own an Antelope interface, or are considering purchasing one, this may be a significant selling point.
Old 11th November 2017
Quote:
Originally Posted by climber View Post
For those of us who either already own an Antelope interface, or are considering purchasing one, this may be a significant selling point.
Old 12th November 2017
Lives for gear

I'm not sure what the reading comprehension problem is but this was exactly my point. If I cannot hear what these plugins can do then why would I be interested in buying the interface? I don't know of many credible THIRD PARTY places that have reviewed their plugins with shoot outs against say Waves, Softube, UAD, Slate and the like.

This video is OK but is made by Antelope's marketing guy:

Someone like Glenn Fricker (Spectre Sound Studios) or Warren Huart (Produce Like a Pro) should be sent a unit for review. They own a lot of the modeled hardware and upload videos to Youtube regularly. The Pro Audio Files or Real Home Recording would be other credible places to send review units.

If Antelope plugins sound as good or maybe even better than the usual suspects then the hardware is a great deal. Lots of money would be saved on plugins (or I can sell the ones I already bought). If the Antelope plugins however are just "meh" then they're not even worth a download/install.

Antelope is a premium brand and if we are being honest they've done a pretty bad job at marketing the software side of their product line.
Old 12th November 2017
Lives for gear

My 2 cents:
I own an Orion 32 (No FPGA) and a Zen Tour. The converters sound excellent. No problems with their interfaces and the USB works pretty good with both units. As far as the FPGA plugins, they’re nothing really special IMO. They sound good but nothing that native or UAD has already covered. I personally wouldn’t buy into their interface for the software.

Routing in their interface sucks. Some will disagree but I absolutely hate it. I’ve messed around with the plugins and while they are decent, the routing absolutely kills the creativity of using them. Even when you get use to their software.

Another thing is they cater more to the MAC side with Thunderbolt. If you are a PC user then you’re pretty much SOL. Their new plugin that suppose to route their FPGA plugins is suppose to be Thunderbolt only so PC users will be out of luck once again.

I know most of these are negative comments but I do have to say both the Zen Tour and Orion 32 have been rock solid for me on Windows through USB and they sound excellent, but if you’re looking into getting into the plugins side you’re better off going with something else IMO.

Quote:
Old 12th November 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by shatz View Post
Another thing is they cater more to the MAC side with Thunderbolt. If you are a PC user then you’re pretty much SOL. Their new plugin that suppose to route their FPGA plugins is suppose to be Thunderbolt only so PC users will be out of luck once again.

I know most of these are negative comments but I do have to say both the Zen Tour and Orion 32 have been rock solid for me on Windows through USB and they sound excellent, but if you’re looking into getting into the plugins side you’re better off going with something else IMO.
Thanks for your feedback, especially on the Windows side of things. I'm happy with my converters and at this point am just buying more equipment for the front end. So, I guess I'll just keep doing that.
Old 6th December 2017
Lives for gear

Unbelievable how slow Antelope is answering questions from potential customers
and a lot of questions just gets ignored in this thread and in the Discrete 4/8 threads

you don't get any confidence you will get great support at this company

i could be wrong(i hope so)
but these threads is dragging Antelope down
as they seem to hide information by ignoring important questions from future buyers

there isn't any proper PDF user manuals either(Discrete 4/8)
when are you going to do something about that Antelope Audio ?
Old 6th December 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by jfjer View Post
Unbelievable how slow Antelope is answering questions from potential customers
and a lot of questions just gets ignored in this thread and in the Discrete 4/8 threads

you don't get any confidence you will get great support at this company

i could be wrong(i hope so)
but these threads is dragging Antelope down
as they seem to hide information by ignoring important questions from future buyers

there isn't any proper PDF user manuals either(Discrete 4/8)
when are you going to do something about that Antelope Audio ?
It's not that we don't want to answer you, in fact a lot of answers are provided almost daily at the Antelope User Group.

The pdf manual just isn't possible, because it would constantly change, thanks to the many FREE updates Antelope provides it's customers when FX and other requested features are provided. I also constantly post answers and videos myself about Antelope products, and have on many occasions responded to questions with specific video answers, that I then post and share with other users on Youtube and have done so on GearSlutz too.

There are countless videos Antelope posts on it's channel and the free support available via Live Chat.

Antelope is absolutely available with answers and happy to provide them in our communication channels.
Old 11th December 2017
Quote:
Originally Posted by shatz View Post
My 2 cents:
I own an Orion 32 (No FPGA) and a Zen Tour. The converters sound excellent. No problems with their interfaces and the USB works pretty good with both units. As far as the FPGA plugins, they’re nothing really special IMO. They sound good but nothing that native or UAD has already covered. I personally wouldn’t buy into their interface for the software.

Routing in their interface sucks. Some will disagree but I absolutely hate it. I’ve messed around with the plugins and while they are decent, the routing absolutely kills the creativity of using them. Even when you get use to their software.

I've noticed this inconvenience too. As a PC user I've found it challenging to say the least while operating with Antelope products. The stories I can tell you...
Old 12th December 2017
Gear Head

We have some BIG news!

The first Mic Emulations from Antelope Audio are now launched! All users who purchased the Edge & Verge Modeling Microphones can now explore the authentic vintage sound of Berlin 47 FT, Berlin 67, Tokyo 800T and Berlin 57.

Find more info about them here:
Mic Emulations | Antelope Audio

Our brand new interfaces Discrete 4 and Discrete 8 are also shipping and so are the Edge & Verge Modeling Mics plus all bundles with them we currently offer.
Old 12th December 2017
Gear Head
Quote:
Originally Posted by Antelope Audio View Post
We have some BIG news!

The first Mic Emulations from Antelope Audio are now launched! All users who purchased the Edge & Verge Modeling Microphones can now explore the authentic vintage sound of Berlin 47 FT, Berlin 67, Tokyo 800T and Berlin 57.

Our brand new interfaces Discrete 4 and Discrete 8 are also shipping and so are the Edge & Verge Modeling Mics plus all bundles with them we currently offer.
Hmmmm... Audio samples on the way?
Lets hear them already!
Old 12th December 2017
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by ronniej1206 View Post
Lets hear them already!
Soon, very soon!
Old 12th December 2017
Quote:
Originally Posted by ronniej1206 View Post
Lets hear them already!
Yes! Samples, dammit!
Old 12th December 2017
I pre-ordered a Verge from Sweetwater. when will they have stock?
Old 13th December 2017
Here for the gear
Quote:
We have some BIG news!

Good to hear. Still, that's not the full info.
When, exactly do we expect the Berlin 57, Vienna 12 and all the others?
Does anyone have something to share about the emulations? Or the mics themselves? Waiting for some honest reviews here!
Old 13th December 2017
Gear Maniac

Quote:
We have some BIG news!

Wonderful news! I'm excited to hear user feedback and comparisons.

I have a question though, and I don't mean to hijack the thread, but I (and several others) have asked this in the Discrete 4 thread, but we're yet to get an answer; can a user purchase the basic package, and upgrade later on to another package that offers more of the features? The ability to use the modelled plugins in my DAW for post-processing is a big deal, but I cannot afford to purchase the premium feature-set outright; will we be able to upgrade to it later on, from the basic package? Can this be facilitated?

Eagerly awaiting your response.
Old 13th December 2017
Lives for gear

Antelope would be stupid not to offer an upgrade package.
Old 14th December 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by VenVile View Post
Wonderful news! I'm excited to hear user feedback and comparisons.

I have a question though, and I don't mean to hijack the thread, but I (and several others) have asked this in the Discrete 4 thread, but we're yet to get an answer; can a user purchase the basic package, and upgrade later on to another package that offers more of the features? The ability to use the modelled plugins in my DAW for post-processing is a big deal, but I cannot afford to purchase the premium feature-set outright; will we be able to upgrade to it later on, from the basic package? Can this be facilitated?

Eagerly awaiting your response.
Yes, upgrades are being added to dealer sites and most of them will be offering the upgrade SKU within the next couple weeks.

Thanks.
Old 14th December 2017
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clybourne View Post
Yes, upgrades are being added to dealer sites and most of them will be offering the upgrade SKU within the next couple weeks.

Thanks.
This just made my day! Being able to just pay an upgrade price, instead of a full purchase price to existing Discrete users is absolutely wonderful!

This was all I was waiting to know, before I pulled the trigger. It was between Presonus' Quantum, UAD's Apollo Twin Mk II and of course, the Discrete 4.

Guess which system I'm going to purchase now? Yup, the Discrete 4! Thanks a lot Marcel; I'm so excited!
Old 18th December 2017
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by VenVile View Post
This just made my day! Being able to just pay an upgrade price, instead of a full purchase price to existing Discrete users is absolutely wonderful!

This was all I was waiting to know, before I pulled the trigger. It was between Presonus' Quantum, UAD's Apollo Twin Mk II and of course, the Discrete 4.

Guess which system I'm going to purchase now? Yup, the Discrete 4! Thanks a lot Marcel; I'm so excited!
We're quite excited here as well!

Please, send us a note as soon as you get your D4 on marketing@antelopeaudio.com!
We'd love to know more about your first impression.

Here are useful videos for D4 getting started: Explore Discrete 4 | Antelope Audio
New Reply Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook  Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter  Submit Thread to LinkedIn LinkedIn  Submit Thread to Google+ Google+  Submit Thread to Reddit Reddit 

Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search