Gearslutz

Gearslutz (https://www.gearslutz.com/board/)
-   Product Alerts older than 2 months (https://www.gearslutz.com/board/product-alerts-older-than-2-months/)
-   -   iZotope Ushers in the Next Evolution of Mixing and Mastering with Ozone8 and Neutron2 (https://www.gearslutz.com/board/product-alerts-older-than-2-months/1180442-izotope-ushers-next-evolution-mixing-mastering-ozone8-neutron2.html)

gregh 5th October 2017 11:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by vze26m98 (Post 12888619)
This is the consumer strategy Adobe put an end to with its subscription-only sales model.

The Adobe bundling strategy for subs led me to move away from Adobe products

Evanis 5th October 2017 11:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sayt0n (Post 12888005)
Another user with Music Production bundle 2 Advanced here and I also have RX6 Standard already....so a massive rippoff on my end!! I also think this pricing is ridiculous! Ill pay 299$ to upgrade if they give me Neutron 2, Ozone 8, and RX6 Advanced with that!

Not gonna lie, I'm in agreement completely. Izotope will probably be 100% subscription based before O9N3. Looking objectively at the outrageous upgrade price, what other conclusion can we draw? Who's going to actually pay that price if they already have Music Production Bundle 2, which is still a strong toolset?

Besides, I already have too many damn "subscriptions", which includes a lot of non-musical software as well...

elcct 5th October 2017 11:31 PM

$299 for me to upgrade and for given small extra features I think that's a bit steep. I saw adverts of this update everywhere prior to the release, making me expect some sort of revolution, but that resulted in a disappointment instead. Maybe if they didn't flush money on questionable advertising, the price could be more reasonable...

elcct 5th October 2017 11:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Evanis (Post 12888636)
Besides, I already have too many damn "subscriptions", which includes a lot of non-musical software as well...

I set myself a limit of 2 subscriptions for creative software. iZotope offering is too poor to justify switching. If they go for subscription only model, then they will open a place for competition, which I will happily support.

In Ozone 8 I am most interested in the Spectral Shaper and I've been wondering how is it different from oeksound soothe, which is about half the price of the proposed upgrade.

Asher Bay 5th October 2017 11:39 PM

Well aside from all the pricing concerns...The Tonal Balance solo feature is missing a frequency node location readout. To be able to pinpoint the exact culprit affecting the spectrum band would be even easier and quicker if I knew where exactly in the spectrum on was hearing rather the range. The fact it doesn't bypass when bypassing all inserts is brilliant! Hope they fix the pricing.

ChristianD 5th October 2017 11:54 PM

Came across this a few months ago, thought it was pretty lame that they only support a given product for 12 months.

https://www.izotope.com/en/support/k...rt-policy.html

OMU 6th October 2017 12:00 AM

Wow. Never seen so many complains about a company's upgrade policy. Too bad, because iZotope has some really great minds in the coding department.

ChristianD 6th October 2017 12:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by OMU (Post 12888695)
Wow. Never seen so many complains about a company's upgrade policy. Too bad, because iZotope has some really great minds in the coding department.

I agree they have some of the slickest software out there, just good to know they will only offer updates for 12 months on any given product. Although Ozone 5 does still work fine.

ohmicide 6th October 2017 12:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ChristianD (Post 12888688)
Came across this a few months ago, thought it was pretty lame that they only support a given product for 12 months.

https://www.izotope.com/en/support/k...rt-policy.html

This is absolutely absurd. I don't think I even want to do business with this company again. There's currently an automation bug in Trash which landed me with a 10% voucher which now I'm realizing it's because they're just never going to f*cking fix it!!

ChristianD 6th October 2017 12:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ohmicide (Post 12888719)
This is absolutely absurd. I don't think I even want to do business with this company again. There's currently an automation bug in Trash which landed me with a 10% voucher which now I'm realizing it's because they're just never going to f*cking fix it!!

Yeah bummed me out when I read that, I mean ozone 7 advanced got one update, neutron advanced got one update I believe and on to the next already.

Ironically before I knew about that policy I filled out one of their surveys and one thing I thought they could improve upon was supporting versions for a longer period.

That sucks that you're getting an automation bug with trash 2. And quite telling that their response was to give you a voucher.

It is what it is I guess still great plug-ins.

ChristianD 6th October 2017 12:57 AM

Also I must add to be fair having just one update is a testament to just how solid their 1.0 versions are right out of the gate which I do appreciate.

ohmicide 6th October 2017 01:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ChristianD (Post 12888745)
It is what it is I guess still great plug-ins.

While they still work wworried

bgood 6th October 2017 01:38 AM

FYI boys..

I wrote an email complaining... They responded back and acknowledged they n2 was released much earlier than normal upgrades... And then they sent me a ten % off coupon.

I see what they're doing, though.. I'm sure it's a ploy to get us into the monthly splice plan.

Seriously though... I'm p1ssed off. Giant c0ckslap to a longtime user than owns almost everything they sell

bgood 6th October 2017 01:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by OMU (Post 12888695)

Um... We're p1ssed because this is a new policy that flies in the face of how they've done biz in the past. Of course if it was sh1t software we wouldn't be so annoyed... Duh

It's a money grab and a push to a monthly rent to own program.

bgood 6th October 2017 01:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gregh (Post 12888635)
The Adobe bundling strategy for subs led me to move away from Adobe products

On the audio side that wasn't such a hard decision to make as audition was never a real replacement for pt or even cubase AND they were the only one doing subs at that time... Easy to walk away...

This is a different deal all together. I think that we should all just assume that every dev is going to a sub model and as such we shouldn't buy perpetual licenses for anything because we are suckers when we do apparently

OMU 6th October 2017 01:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bgood (Post 12888796)
Um... We're p1ssed because this is a new policy that flies in the face of how they've done biz in the past. Of course if it was sh1t software we wouldn't be so annoyed... Duh

It's a money grab and a push to a monthly rent to own program.

I get it now. I'm not currently a fan of software subscription programs and the way they chose to do it seems, to me at least, to push current users away.

gregh 6th October 2017 01:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bgood (Post 12888801)
On the audio side that wasn't such a hard decision to make as audition was never a real replacement for pt or even cubase AND they were the only one doing subs at that time... Easy to walk away...

This is a different deal all together. I think that we should all just assume that every dev is going to a sub model and as such we shouldn't buy perpetual licenses for anything because we are suckers when we do apparently

I liked Audition as an editor, not as a DAW. BUt I think the reference to Adobe is apt due to the way Adobe bundles their products. Individual programs are overpriced (other than Photoshop) and there are a very limited set of bundles that are “take it or leave it”, which seems to be the model Izotope are using. Individual subs plus make your own bundle is more customer focussed

ChristianD 6th October 2017 02:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ohmicide (Post 12888794)
While they still work wworried

Good point and the whole point. Affected by a bug after the 12 months...SOL

skiltrip 6th October 2017 02:18 AM

Really digging some of the new features. But like most of you are feeling, the price is a no-go.

Oni. 6th October 2017 02:39 AM

Too much money related to too few quality upgrades from older version. Plus Neutron 1 was really not mature enough for professional use, and they just came out with a v2 that changers workflow out of nowhere. Don't change workflow: fine-tune it, and make compressors/eqs sound better, please. That's the core of audio processing, and I don't care about bells and whistles: I expect top tier comps/eqs for that price.

Squeegee 303 6th October 2017 02:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bgood (Post 12888801)

I am really trying to avoid subscriptions.
Also, I think that Izotope would modify its prices if very few people buy Neutron 2, O8 at this point.

jdfoca 6th October 2017 02:54 AM

I have all the advanced products and almost all the other plugs except iris and möbius filter. $298 bucks is way too steep and I do not consider that a loyalty discount!:tut:

Squeegee 303 6th October 2017 02:55 AM

Also: O8's "spectral shaper and tonal balance"? I have PA's DSM v2 and Newfangled Audio's new Elevate bundle (a steal at $79). I think I'm covered.

Asher Bay 6th October 2017 03:24 AM

Cant lie though the Neutron Advanced Tonal Balance Control is moneykfhkh. Izotope got it right, where Mastering the Mix had the right idea but didn't execute it as well. Isotope also added accessibility to all track insert eqs in one neat panel which makes it extremely powerful. The eq isn't too shabby either, perfectly useable for mixing...But I won't be purchasing or upgrading either until it goes on sale hopefully for a more reasonable price. Really cool forward thinking products.

gregh 6th October 2017 04:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Squeegee 303 (Post 12888861)
Also: O8's "spectral shaper and tonal balance"? I have PA's DSM v2 and Newfangled Audio's new Elevate bundle (a steal at $79). I think I'm covered.

Elevate looks good, I will check it out now - unintended consequence of Izotope upgrade policy :)

skiltrip 6th October 2017 05:02 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Squeegee 303 (Post 12888861)

I wasn't aware of Elevate! Thanks to you and this thread, now I am. Looks very cool. Gonna demo it. $79 is definitely a steal.

horseface 6th October 2017 05:40 AM

The exciter parameter in Neutron should be named "Make it sound harsh and digital". I always turned that off when I was playing around with the track assistant in Neutron. Do people really like that nasty harsh sound?

These days I only use the separate EQ section of Neutron because it seems pretty clean and neutral and the way it automatically finds transients and resonances is very good indeed.

Have they fixed things enough to make the $200 upgrade price worth it, I wonder?

Quote:

Originally Posted by Asher Bay (Post 12888895)
Cant lie though the Neutron Advanced Tonal Balance Control is moneykfhkh. Izotope got it right, where Mastering the Mix had the right idea but didn't execute it as well. Isotope also added accessibility to all track insert eqs in one neat panel which makes it extremely powerful. The eq isn't too shabby either, perfectly useable for mixing...But I won't be purchasing or upgrading either until it goes on sale hopefully for a more reasonable price. Really cool forward thinking products.

This part certainly looks like what MTM were trying to do - Integration with the EQ is quite smart.

horseface 6th October 2017 06:05 AM

What the hell. Just upgraded. $149, not $200 as I thought.

Trying it out...

:cowbell::cowbell::cowbell:

horseface 6th October 2017 06:18 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Looks like it's had a facelift:

https://www.gearslutz.com/board/atta...1&d=1507266803

Using track assist gives similar results to before - EQ nodes look pretty much identical without any real scrutinizing.

Track assist Exciter seems WAY less harsh and annoying than before. Need to investigate if this is really so. Edit - Seems like the drive levels are less than before.

Compressor ratios, attacks and releases are different. As are the process/not mix balances.

Subtle differences, but better sounding ones so far...

ronwasserman 6th October 2017 06:41 AM

I had not upgraded for a while so for me, the price was okay. Regardless, I messed around with it tonight on a older file I’d mixed in 2008 and I have to say it’s pretty remarkable. I’ve barely scratched the surface so it’s going to take a while to maximize it’s functions.

As for the price, I guess I’d be a tad put off if I’d upgraded to Ozone and Neutron last year.