iZotope Ushers in the Next Evolution of Mixing and Mastering with Ozone8 and Neutron2 - Page 24 - Gearslutz
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
iZotope Ushers in the Next Evolution of Mixing and Mastering with Ozone8 and Neutron2
Old 7th November 2017
Lives for gear

Strange, but why can't you move a node while soloing it? Seems like a silly oversight. I do this in Fabfilter Pro-Q 2 and it's extremely helpful.
Old 10th November 2017
Gear Addict
Just quick question - is anybody already tested Ozone 7 vs 8 by CPU usage? I'm 7 user and it uses a lot of CPU which makes me crazy. Any chance that 8 is less heavy CPU?
Old 10th November 2017 | Show parent
Quote:
Originally Posted by xeper View Post
Just quick question - is anybody already tested Ozone 7 vs 8 by CPU usage? I'm 7 user and it uses a lot of CPU which makes me crazy. Any chance that 8 is less heavy CPU?
I haven't deeply tested it but Ozone 8 feels like Ozone 7 to me. Heavy on CPU and mega heavy on iLok authorization checks.
Old 10th November 2017
Lives for gear

Why are people whining about ozone CPU? If you are mastering, you are working with the pre-rendered 2 channel file and just this single plugin, or this and a couple of other plugins. Are your computers really that crappy?

Old 10th November 2017
Lives for gear

Because many use as mix tool?

If you are not using tools for something other than their intended use I might suggest you are not fully exploring your role as a creative.
Old 11th November 2017 | Show parent
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by horseface View Post
If you are mastering, you are working with the pre-rendered 2 channel file and just this single plugin, or this and a couple of other plugins.
I work in the advisement world and most of the time I don't have the luxury of working with a pre-rendered 2 channel file. This is because I tend to keep as much of the MIDI intact since the pictures tend to change a lot and I have to re-edits or revisions.
Old 11th November 2017
Gear Maniac

I like to mix through Ozone 8 - a pre mastering-mastering - I turn it on and off - and tweak it as I go. Use the 'assistant' function as I change the mix - then re-scan.. usually lowering the maximizer a bit. I do not find this plugin to be a CPU killer so much more than some other 3rd party plug-ins. Klanghelm MJUC Compressor No1 -for instance...to name one. I have a 2011 iMac i5. Using Logic Pro X - OSX Sierra seems to be the best OSX for CPU with Logic Pro X so far - afraid to try High Sierra -due to plugin compatibility. I admit computer seems close to the edge. But not crashing much lately.. I dream of a new Mac Pro 'modular' coming soon with more cores - up-gradable - What will that cost? A newer iMac?
Old 11th November 2017 | Show parent
Gear Addict

Quote:
Why are people whining about ozone CPU? If you are mastering, you are working with the pre-rendered 2 channel file and just this single plugin, or this and a couple of other plugins. Are your computers really that crappy?

So you think people are doing something stupid if they are using for instance the individual Vintage plugins on single tracks and/or Busses? What gives?
Old 12th November 2017 | Show parent
Gear Head
Quote:
Originally Posted by skiltrip View Post
Strange, but why can't you move a node while soloing it? Seems like a silly oversight. I do this in Fabfilter Pro-Q 2 and it's extremely helpful.
As is an analysis tool like TBC that doesn't show you the frequency you're soloing or moving your mouse over. Something virtually every other meter and EQ on the market does. Seems silly. And kind of inconsistent.
Old 14th November 2017 | Show parent
Gear Addict
Quote:

Quick example of my workflow: (I do 50-60 complex pop radio songs with tons of synths, etc per year)

30-60 instances of Fabfilter MB (CPU heavy as hell), a lot of other plugins, my typical session is 100-200 tracks. then I have ozone 7 + t-racks on my master buss - I cannot make mastering in another project, because I need an option to easily and fast do notes that I get from labels - I do it couple times per hour sometimes.

So, there are people who are not using only that one plugin in the project ;-)
Quote:
Originally Posted by louis.b View Post
This thread was enough to cancel any plans of jumping on the izotope bandwagon. Being greedy and try to rob your old customers is never a smart choice if you want to try attract new ones (and keep your old ones).
My thoughts exactly. I was looking at that rent to own plan on Splice, but thought I should first check out the vibes on GS. No chance of me jumping on that wagon now.
Old 14th November 2017
Gear Nut
At £65 each for O8 and N2, best workflow enhancer I’ve made. My mixes are more balanced, clearer bass and treble and no more guesswork as to whether the mix would translate well. Some of my old mixes have now been given a shot with TBC doing its job well. I am happy with my purchase as I now relax as I put my mixes through O8N2. What is it worth to you? That is the question.
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jpga View Post
Tonal balance control make Loops and clips in the browser out of sync in Latest Ableton live.
Both vst/au on Mac el capitan.
Any news?
Old 22nd November 2017
Gear Maniac

I've been trying to limit some tracks with Ozone 8 maximiser. I'm limiting pretty hard but unless I put ISP protection on I'm getting 100's of ISPs even at -1.8db (using afclip on the raw wav to detect them).

Anyone else experienced this?
Old 22nd November 2017 | Show parent
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShortWarning View Post
I've been trying to limit some tracks with Ozone 8 maximiser. I'm limiting pretty hard but unless I put ISP protection on I'm getting 100's of ISPs even at -1.8db (using afclip on the raw wav to detect them).

Anyone else experienced this?
That isn't unexpected. Enabling True Peak Detection is the only way it will prevent ISPs.

It is possible to have a ceiling of as low as -3 or so, and still experience ISPs.
Old 22nd November 2017 | Show parent
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by MattHines View Post
That isn't unexpected. Enabling True Peak Detection is the only way it will prevent ISPs.

It is possible to have a ceiling of as low as -3 or so, and still experience ISPs.
Thanks. I've never had isps on uncompressed wavs lower than -0.5. I'd expect it after compressing to mp3 but not the wav.

Maybe it's just a weird mix.
Old 23rd November 2017 | Show parent
Lives for gear

I think these are both, great Tools.. and Ive found everything I need within them 80%..
I still use vibe UA type etc on certain tracks.

But these just work. and If you think 100 per plug sale, [199 for both]now is not worth it..
youre missing out
Old 26th November 2017
Here for the gear

Hi everyone, I'm curious to get some advice, if possible: I'm new to Izotope products, so I decided to purchase the Elements Bundle for roughly $80 on Friday. At the time, it seemed like it would suffice for my needs, but after using them, I'm hooked, and I'm already wanting to use features such as the Masking Meter and Tonal Balance. At the very least, I figured buying the Elements bundle would get me looped into future upgrade discounts.

The short of it, sure enough, it did, and I have a coupon in my Izotope account to upgrade to the Mix & Master bundle for $199, which includes N2 & O8 Standard editions. Unfortunately, the Tonal Balance feature is only available in the Advanced versions, so I'm wondering if it still makes sense to buy this $199 bundle? There is a part of me that's thinking I should, and then wait for a future discount/upgrade price from Standard to Advanced on either N2 or O8, since you only need one for Tonal Balance. As convoluted as making three separate purchases sounds, it might be the cheapest path.

On the other hand, I could hold off and wait for a better discount to arrive, but seeing as I have an Elements bundle, I'm not expecting that any time soon, but I wanted to check with you guys here, since you're way more familiar with Izotope's upgrade paths and whatnot. Any advice is greatly appreciated.

Thanks!
Old 27th November 2017 | Show parent
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by BDW42 View Post
On the other hand, I could hold off and wait for a better discount to arrive, but seeing as I have an Elements bundle, I'm not expecting that any time soon, but I wanted to check with you guys here, since you're way more familiar with Izotope's upgrade paths and whatnot. Any advice is greatly appreciated.
If you think the upgrade price is too expensive and you're not in any rush, wait. iZotope have sales every so often.. they definitely have at least 2 major sales per year (summer and end of year/Black Friday/Christmas).

Or if you really want Tonal Balance Control, upgrade to the Advanced version of either Neutron or Ozone.
Old 29th November 2017 | Show parent
Gear Head

Not updating from Production Bundle 2 just now, but anyway:

1. Vintage Compressor is said to have improved ballistics and sound quality in Ozone 8. Anyone hear any difference?

2. Regarding Tonal Balance Control: do you find it useful? Besides using my ears, it's easy enough in Ozone 7 to take a snapshot and spot the differences between reference and own track from the graphs.
Old 30th November 2017 | Show parent
MCJ
Here for the gear
Neutron 2 Advanced neutrino module bug

I’ve upgraded from Neutron to Neutron Advanced 2 and running into problems with the neutrino part of it. It does radical things where it shouldn’t. I’ve compared it to Neutrino stand alone and neutrino in Neutron 1.01.3: non of the latter give these results, just the one in Neutron Advanced 2. I’ve written Izotope about it 3 days ago, but haven’t heard back from them except for the automated reply.

---> Update: As per December 13th, Izotope has confirmed the issue :-(

What I did:
- I played a kick from xFer’s Nerve. It should output the same kick each consecutive time.
- I processed with Neutron 2 Advanced.
- I heard that where 2 kicks were played “faster” after each other the first kick got a far louder attack than the second.
- I bypassed Neutron and double checked that Nerve was playing the same kick each time. I did this by phase aligning several bounced kicks and reverse the phase of 1 of a pair, to make sure no difference in audio could be heard. Outcome: all kicks were exactly the same.
- I then set Neutron Advanced 2 back on, yet bypassed all individual modules. The equalizer, exciter and first compressor that were “on” before, were now bypassed. The neutrino part of Neutron was still set to “Drums/ Percussion”, detail 50, amount 50.
- Although all main elements of Neutron 2 were bypassed the difference in sound between the kicks came back.
- I then set the neutrino setting to “clean”
- The difference between kicks went away.
- Since the neutrino effect (when set to percussion, amount 50, detail 50) was far out of the “expected” range I compared it to the same neutrino setting in Neutron 1.01.3 (and later Neutrino standalone as well): this setting did not introduce the unexpected difference between the bounced kicks.

I’ve tried out some other neutrino settings in Neutron Advanced 2 and except for the “clean” setting they all seem to behave unexpectedly severe (even with settings “amount 0 and detail 0”) compared to Neutrino standalone and neutrino in Neutron 1.

Cheers,
M.

Last edited by MCJ; 13th December 2017 at 04:21 PM.. Reason: Update after confirmation from Izotope
Old 30th November 2017 | Show parent
Gear Nut
Pricing question...

Is the $299 loyalty cross grade price to N2O8 Advanced from any advanced product (my case Neutron 1 Advanced) a regular upgrade that will continue likely into next year? I don't see anywhere that it is a limited time price/offer.

Thanks.

*** email this morning 12/1 from Izotope saying the special cross grade price is good until Dec 14th

Last edited by paulwr; 1st December 2017 at 04:53 PM.. Reason: receive Izotope email clarification this morning
Old 2nd December 2017 | Show parent
Gear Head

Well, I went ahead and bought the Music Production Suite from MPB2 upgrade. (Although not happy with iZotope's new upgrade pricing policy but... I always get sucked in the upgrading hype. )

The visual help from Tonal Balance Control combined with corrective EQ'ing from Newfangled Elevate (MEL mode) very quickly points me in the right direction.

Pretty cool combo for someone with compromised acoustics and small monitors and who frequently needs to rely on headphones for checking the low end.
Old 15th December 2017 | Show parent
Gear Addict

I just upgraded Eventide's Anthology for 69$ - that got me Fission, UltraTap, Tverb and MangledVerb...

meanwhile Izotope won't get tired of sending me countless e-mail offers for the same ****ty deal... I guess I'll have to unsubcribe...
Old 21st December 2017 | Show parent
Gear Nut
Neutron 2 Visual Mixer work in Slate Raven touchscreen?

This thread has lost some steam now, but thought I'd ask here first anyway:
Does anyone know if Neutron's Visual Mixer works well using Slate's Raven touchscreen?

Thanks, Paul
Old 23rd January 2018 | Show parent
Lives for gear
Might be a stupid question but...

After making adjustments to individual plugins via the Tonal Balance Control UI, is it ok to completely remove the Tonal Balance Control plugin from the Master? Just thought this might work since TBC is really more of a metering plugin.. thoughts?
Old 23rd January 2018
Gear Addict

After mastering a record this week, I have to say I am utterly impressed with Ozone 8 Standard. I had been using Ozone 5 along with Slate FG-X as my limiter and a few other tools but needed an upgrade. Hearing 3 generations of improvements with Ozone 8 is an awesome experience. For the money, the standard version is just fantastic. The IRC IV Classic sounds so damn good, as do the vintage limiter modules. And best of all is the inclusion of the Baxandall style eq, my favourite for mastering. I was just about to drop some serious dough on the Bax EQ but now I don't need to because iZotope have included a great one in theirs. Well done iZotope!

Last edited by The Warmth; 23rd January 2018 at 03:31 PM..
Old 23rd January 2018 | Show parent
Quote:
Originally Posted by anp27 View Post
After making adjustments to individual plugins via the Tonal Balance Control UI, is it ok to completely remove the Tonal Balance Control plugin from the Master? Just thought this might work since TBC is really more of a metering plugin.. thoughts?
Absolutely. It is not making any changes to the audio. It's a meter, as you say.
Old 24th January 2018 | Show parent
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by Henrik Hjortnaes View Post
Absolutely. It is not making any changes to the audio. It's a meter, as you say.
Thought so Thanks for clarifying this!
Old 11th February 2018 | Show parent
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by stardustmedia View Post
Got the upgrade for Ozone8. I think the new IRC4 is slightly better. And the new "Threshold learn" is a very neat feature.

But that new feature creates an ugly distortion burst for a couple 0.1 seconds every time playback starts, also when I bounce. Anyone else experiencing that? I work with Logic 10.3.2 under El Cap 10.11.6
You should enable it until it reaches the target you're after and then disable it
📝 Reply