The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
Newfangled Audio partners with Eventide to announce Elevate mastering limiter plug-in
Old 25th March 2019
Gear Guru
So figured I'd bump the thread...... Still using this and learning it. So deep and so good! Interested in how others are getting on with the whole suite?
Old 1st April 2019
Gear Head

Puzzle:

Add a guitar to a mastered song such that the combined peaks never exceed the original song's max peak, and the song is completely unchanged where the guitar is not added.

Potential solution:

Have song and guitar on separate tracks, have them each feed common bus, and use Elevate such that the song peaks sit right at the limiter theshold whereas a combined peak forces it to engage.

Seems straight forward enough, but I'm not seeing how to use limiter gain to do this since it will always try to add that gain regardless, and won't differentiate between when it's just the song, or both are present. Unless I'm missing something, for the track to remain unchanged when the guitar isn't present, limiter gain would have to be set to 0.

Limiter also kicks in, though, when input exceeds 0. At first glance, it would seem this could be solved by turning up the input on the limiter until the max peaks of the song hit 0dbFS, then allowing the guitar to create combined peaks that exceed 0dBfs, and force the limiter to kick in.

Assuming gainstaging such that the DAW channel itself is never being fed a clipped signal, but that the only exceeding of 0dBfs happens within the plug as the result of the input being cranked, does the plugin have internal headroom to allow this to work, or does this cause clipping internally (or cause some other issue within the plug)?

Is there a better way to achieve this? Would seem to require internal headroom to do as I describe, or a zero knee to do otherwise. Given the othe complexities of this plug, I'd also be interested to hear any specifics about how doing this properly would or would not involve some of the other aspects.

For instance, since the song is full range, and the guitar has a limited frequency band, I'm assuming it would be best to use multiband mode so the guitar doesn't, for instance, duck a cymbal decay. I'm not sure, however, that there's any way to park the original peaks right at the threshold so that the original song is untouched when the guitar isn't present unless it has only a single threshold (broadband mode).

Or, does using it the way I describe (Limiter gain of 0, and using the input 0dBfs threshold essentially solve all these issues by still allowing it to be used in multiband mode, but with a single threshold at a 0 knee?

Or... some hybrid concept like parking the original track peaks at -6, and setting ceiling to -6? If so, limiter gain all the way down, and adaptive up? What about speed in such a case?

Also, I'm seeing some larger differences between peak and true peak outputs than I'm used to from some of the TP oriented limiters out there. Any tips for ensuring more TP friendly output?
Old 30th July 2019
Gear Addict

I noticed a new update (don't know when it was released) : 1.5.11

Downloaded and installed it, crashed both Cubase 10 and Wavelab 9.5, both vst2 and vst3 versions (Win7, 64 bit)....

Anyone else having this problem ?

I went back to 1.5.7 which is working fine.
Old 30th July 2019
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by dione View Post
I noticed a new update (don't know when it was released) : 1.5.11

Downloaded and installed it, crashed both Cubase 10 and Wavelab 9.5, both vst2 and vst3 versions (Win7, 64 bit)....

Anyone else having this problem ?

I went back to 1.5.7 which is working fine.
Me too. Win 7 x64, PT 12.4. I submitted a support ticket.
Old 30th July 2019
Lives for gear

The update is working fine in Logic Pro, latest version. At least Punctuate and Elevate. Mojave.

Oops! Punctuate is not working on a Bass track today. ???

Last edited by Macaroni; 30th July 2019 at 10:21 PM..
Old 31st July 2019
Gear Addict

Sorry guys, there was an issue that slipped through the 1.5.11 release and was causing crashes on Windows 7. I did a bad merge when I brought in some new JUCE code, sorry. It's fixed in 1.5.12 (Windows Only) and you can grab the download here: https://www.newfangledaudio.com/downloads

Again, sorry for the problem, it just slipped through.
Old 31st July 2019
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by DGillespie View Post
Sorry guys, there was an issue that slipped through the 1.5.11 release and was causing crashes on Windows 7. I did a bad merge when I brought in some new JUCE code, sorry. It's fixed in 1.5.12 (Windows Only) and you can grab the download here: https://www.newfangledaudio.com/downloads

Again, sorry for the problem, it just slipped through.
Thanx for the quick repair, that fixed the problem. Thanx
Old 14th August 2019
Gear Guru
Great that Saturate and Punctuate arebeing released outside the bundle. It was such a generous gift to us and I do need to circle back and do a deep dive.

I like the fact that Dan took a fresh look at a mastering suite and they do something quite different that I need to figure out in more depth. I have a few saturation tools but this and the peak controls I think can be used differently. Maybe Dan can talk more to the thinking behind them?
Old 4 weeks ago
Gear Addict

i am planning on grabbing elevate eventually. is it possible to upgrade to elevate from Punctuate?
Old 4 weeks ago
Gear Addict

forget it. i just bought Elevate. no idea why, but it showed as on sale for 99. immediate grab for me. it's a pleasure to work with this software.
Old 4 weeks ago
Gear Nut

Grabbed it right now for 85 pounds on the main Eventide site. Thanks mxbf for the heads up been waiting a while for this..
Old 4 weeks ago
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by ardis View Post
Great that Saturate and Punctuate arebeing released outside the bundle. It was such a generous gift to us and I do need to circle back and do a deep dive.

I like the fact that Dan took a fresh look at a mastering suite and they do something quite different that I need to figure out in more depth. I have a few saturation tools but this and the peak controls I think can be used differently. Maybe Dan can talk more to the thinking behind them?
Hi ardis,

Sorry, missed this. The original motivation for releasing Saturate and Punctuate on their own was that Elevate users were asking for them. However, there is a lot you can do with these a bit more easily than you can do it with Elevate.

Saturate is pretty similar to other saturators, but I think it has a pretty ideal curve for making things sound loud without sounding distorted. Additionally, it uses a cool psychoacoustic trick to maintain tonal balance of heavily saturated sounds, you can read a bit more about it under the Technology section of the product page: https://www.newfangledaudio.com/saturate

Saturate is really great on busses or instruments when you want to reduce the dynamic range of a sound while avoiding compression artifacts like pumping and breathing. Because it can go pretty hot without sounding distorted it can be really useful on drums or bass guitar, or even vocals. For instance I used Saturate on the voice over for this video to get a bit of thickness and proximity that made it sound a bit nicer. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hGkah3upQeo

Several mastering engineers have told me that they like to put a transient designer in front of the limiter to make things pop a bit more before limiting. Obviously Elevate uses the transient designer after the limiter and before the clipper, to great effect, but if you want to use a transient designer elsewhere in your mastering chain Punctuate is a great choice. Beyond just making things pop, Punctuate adds transient suppression, so you can really take a final mix and do surgery on the kick and snare drum - or any other compressive elements using a combination of the transient knobs and the bands. Here's a video that shows off some of what you can do. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7nz3NJPYiy4

One of the reasons we wanted to release these products separately is that we were finding ourselves using them in mix situations, as well as mastering problem solvers. So I wanted to make sure that people who didn't do a lot of mastering had access to them, and I wanted to make sure that users like you, who already had them, could better understand what they were capable of.

Thanks,
Dan
Old 4 weeks ago
Gear Addict

Yeah, Elevate sale officially starts Monday, but we turned it on before leaving the office Friday and you found it. :-)
Old 4 weeks ago
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by mxbf View Post
i am planning on grabbing elevate eventually. is it possible to upgrade to elevate from Punctuate?
Also, yes, there will be and are upgrades from EQuivocate, Saturate, and Punctuate.
Old 4 weeks ago
Way cool. I, too, just purchased Elevate.
Old 3 weeks ago
Lives for gear

I 'm on a 2013 MacBook Pro that may not be running the latest OS, in Reaper. Equivocate and Saturate work fine, they work like every other plug-in out there. Punctuate and Elevate otoh, I do not know what the heck is going on with the relationship between mouse-click and graphic interface..
Old 3 weeks ago
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by badmark View Post
I 'm on a 2013 MacBook Pro that may not be running the latest OS, in Reaper. Equivocate and Saturate work fine, they work like every other plug-in out there. Punctuate and Elevate otoh, I do not know what the heck is going on with the relationship between mouse-click and graphic interface..
It's hard to tell from a forum post maybe you can send a screenshot to support at newfangled audio dot com?
Old 3 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by DGillespie View Post
It's hard to tell from a forum post maybe you can send a screenshot to support at newfangled audio dot com?
Probably need a video rather than a screenshot. First problem is an issue Rumi refers to in post 169 in the Mastering Forum thread. Eventide / Newfangled Audio Elevate . I simply can't see the Elevate and Punctuate preset bars whether the plugins are docked or floating.

The second problem is that whereas in Equivocate and Saturate I can click on and change the Input level, or turn the Output Auto on and open the little arrow to choose settings, in Punctuate and Elevate I click and nothing happens. Some sliders on the interface respond but a lot of things just don't.
Old 3 weeks ago
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by badmark View Post
Probably need a video rather than a screenshot. First problem is an issue Rumi refers to in post 169 in the Mastering Forum thread. Eventide / Newfangled Audio Elevate . I simply can't see the Elevate and Punctuate preset bars whether the plugins are docked or floating.

The second problem is that whereas in Equivocate and Saturate I can click on and change the Input level, or turn the Output Auto on and open the little arrow to choose settings, in Punctuate and Elevate I click and nothing happens. Some sliders on the interface respond but a lot of things just don't.
Hi Badmark,

It's too hard to handle this on a public forum, can you contact support? I'll be the same person you end up talking to.

Dan
Old 3 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Okeydoke.
Old 2 weeks ago
Gear Addict

Any suggestions on how to put the filterbank thing to use? I don't really understand it tbh.
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search