The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Antelope Discrete 4 Interface for $899 Audio Interfaces
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

If anyone bites the bullet on this, can they explain this? I posted in here earlier and replied to the sales rep who emailed me asking about confirming my preorder:

DIGITAL

Digital Inputs
1 x ADAT (up to 16CH)
1 x S/PDIF

16 ins over adat at 44.1????
Old 1 week ago
Gear Maniac
Quote:
Originally Posted by weezul View Post
If anyone bites the bullet on this, can they explain this? I posted in here earlier and replied to the sales rep who emailed me asking about confirming my preorder:

DIGITAL

Digital Inputs
1 x ADAT (up to 16CH)
1 x S/PDIF

typically 16 would be 44.1 or 48, ADAT standards. So I'd assume this is the same.
Old 1 week ago
Here for the gear

Quote:
This is a typo, i assume someone copy'n'pasted the specs of Discrete 8 (featuring 2x ADAT In/Out ports = 16CH@24bit48kHz).

Discrete 4 ADAT I/O is 8CH@24bit48kHz or 4CH@24bit96kHz.
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by szakkor View Post
This is a typo
Sort of what I was hinting at. I'm surprised they wouldn't comment on it here or over email that's all. I would have pre-ordered if they had confirmed this along with my other concerns listed earlier, but now I'm on the fence and with no free mic either... might just live with the 4u rack on my desk for a while longer. A bigger desk is cheaper
Old 1 week ago
Gear Maniac
Quote:
Sort of what I was hinting at. I'm surprised they wouldn't comment on it here or over email that's all. I would have pre-ordered if they had confirmed this along with my other concerns listed earlier, but now I'm on the fence and with no free mic either... might just live with the 4u rack on my desk for a while longer. A bigger desk is cheaper
ahhh gotcha, I thought this has two sets of adat on it... I'm actually looking at this and the new Presonus Quantum 2 for a mobile rig, and like that the Quantum does have 2 sets. Waiting on reports on both in regards to drivers, sound, latency etc...
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by szyam View Post
Presonus ... ...drivers,
Hopefully things have changed since the AudioBox vsl 1818... hands down the worst device I ever had out of ProFire 2626, UR824, Mbox Mini, and king of all, my beloved RME RayDAT. Hence why this would have been standalone for me! I love my RME's stability too much to gamble with any thunderbolt or usb interface ever again
Old 1 week ago
Gear Maniac
Quote:
Hopefully things have changed since the AudioBox vsl 1818... hands down the worst device I ever had out of ProFire 2626, UR824, Mbox Mini, and king of all, my beloved RME RayDAT. Hence why this would have been standalone for me! I love my RME's stability too much to gamble with any thunderbolt or usb interface ever again
Yea I here ya, supposedly they have come along way. Getting great reviews on the Quantum full size so far. But, I still have some hesitancy too.

But there are plenty of threads on Antelope driver issues too so I'm waiting for both these units to get out in the hands of fellow slutz.

Currently using an Apollo 8 that's fantastic but it's just more than I really need. I track with all hardware, and just use the plugs for mixing, so the whole cool unison thing is going unused... Would like to scale down a bit.
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Yea I here ya, supposedly they have

But there are plenty of threads on Antelope driver issues too so I'm waiting for both these units to get out in the hands of fellow slutz.
The Antelope drivers work great for both mac and pc. I work with users daily and we now have over 10,000 interface customers.

The early response from Discrete 4 and 8 has been very positive and zero driver issues. We are updating to add more of the features and adding more free FX too.

Let me know if you have any other questions or concerns.
Old 1 week ago
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by Piavoice View Post
The Mic stuff (pres, options) is the primary reason for going with the Discreet 4, all about the vocals for my workflow. Looks great on paper, just need to see it in action. I have not seen any interface with the 'mic modeling' aspect the Discreet 4 is flagshipping (in my price range), and I've been waiting for something like this forever. Pres + Vocals is my priority. Mobile doesn't matter to me, but ya that might work for it well.
Well like you said, everybody has is own priorities. For me it's not the emulation of existing microphones. A good microphone is a good micophone, no matter if Neumann, AKG or the 40$ microphone from the China shop in the neighbourhood. (This goes also for pres)

If we're talking about modeling in sense of having an exact copy of U47 or C12, then you also believe in Santa Claus...
BUT if we're talking about modeling in sense of having several voicings THAT's another question and here I agree. Totally fine and very useful!
Instead of having 10 microphones in a locker (I'm just counting 6 in mine), you can have only one mic with multiple voicings and options....options....options.. :-)
Old 1 week ago
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clybourne View Post
The Antelope drivers work great for both mac and pc. I work with users daily and we now have over 10,000 interface customers.

The early response from Discrete 4 and 8 has been very positive and zero driver issues. We are updating to add more of the features and adding more free FX too.

Let me know if you have any other questions or concerns.

Hello Marcel, making sure you saw my questions:

@Clybourne: Thanks, few quick questions:

1. Will there be windows 7 drivers? I prefer Win 7, however am planning on this box being a stripped down (nlite) Windows 10.

2. Do you have an 'effects count' similar to UAD, showing about how many instances of each effect you can run simultaneously? (like this link shows)

3. How will mic modeling work with existing mics?

4. Will there be any type of customizing we can do to tweak our mic setup with the modeling software?
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Hello Marcel, making sure you saw my questions:

@Clybourne: Thanks, few quick questions:

1. Will there be windows 7 drivers? I prefer Win 7, however am planning on this box being a stripped down (nlite) Windows 10.

2. Do you have an 'effects count' similar to UAD, showing about how many instances of each effect you can run simultaneously? (like this link shows)

3. How will mic modeling work with existing mics?

4. Will there be any type of customizing we can do to tweak our mic setup with the modeling software?
1. Win7 should work, but make sure you have all the udpates. It isn’t officially supported, but we have it running on a fully updated Win7 machine.
2. The AFX instances are pretty straight forward. Up to 40 mono EQ’s total. Up to 32 compressors (16 feed forward type, 16 feedback type). And EQ’s don’t take Compressor instances away.
3. Modeling is designed to work with our mics and you’ll need to purchase one of them to use the models anyway.
Old 1 week ago
Gear Maniac

So Edge & Verge are kind of dongles to unlock mic models ?
Old 1 week ago
Is the Discrete 4 the only unit which is made to be used with the mic emulations?
Is the new VST bridge going to support automation?
Also with the plugin would it be possible re- print signal through a mic emulation ?
Old 1 week ago
Gear Head

Quote:
1. Win7 should work, but make sure you have all the udpates. It isn’t officially supported, but we have it running on a fully updated Win7 machine.
2. The AFX instances are pretty straight forward. Up to 40 mono EQ’s total. Up to 32 compressors (16 feed forward type, 16 feedback type). And EQ’s don’t take Compressor instances away.
3. Modeling is designed to work with our mics and you’ll need to purchase one of them to use the models anyway.
Awesome man, thanks just what I wanted to hear (minus the Mic but I was planning on purchasing one if the unit works as I expect (I have the smaller mic coming).

BONUS: Sweetwater just informed me it shipped! Gonna be a busy boy next week - building the new DAW got all the parts in except the cpu fan and the Discreet 4.

Pumped man... pumped!

Edit:

Will there be a way to "upgrade"? I almost went for the one that includes the larger mic but want to see what the interface is like first.
Old 1 week ago
Gear Maniac
OK, from reading the website, it sounds like the basic version of the Discrete 4 comes with all 50 plugins installed, and you can use 2 at a time on 2 channels. So 4 total during a tracking session. That's not bad, but doesn't seem like the AFX2DAW plugin will be included at all? Will that plugin be available a la carte, or only in the premium bundles?
@Clybourne, you mentioned that on the D8, Antelope was making an update so that the headphone outs could also be used for a 2nd set of monitors, I'm assuming that would also apply to the D4 too?

Also, any plans to make 2 of the headphone outs be configured to be utilized as re amp outs? I'm asking as this is one of the deciding factors for me on these units... thanks
Old 6 days ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
OK, from reading the website, it sounds like the basic version of the Discrete 4 comes with all 50 plugins installed, and you can use 2 at a time on 2 channels. So 4 total during a tracking session. That's not bad, but doesn't seem like the AFX2DAW plugin will be included at all? Will that plugin be available a la carte, or only in the premium bundles?
@Clybourne, you mentioned that on the D8, Antelope was making an update so that the headphone outs could also be used for a 2nd set of monitors, I'm assuming that would also apply to the D4 too?

Also, any plans to make 2 of the headphone outs be configured to be utilized as re amp outs? I'm asking as this is one of the deciding factors for me on these units... thanks
The Discrete 4 has (4) HP outputs, so it's a bit of a different animal in it's own right.
Old 6 days ago
Gear Maniac
Quote:
The Discrete 4 has (4) HP outputs, so it's a bit of a different animal in it's own right.
OK I guess you said the Re Amp outs are going to be utilized for line outs...

Quote:
There are currently 3 monitor mixers, but there will be a 4th, as we're going to give the ReAmp Output a Line Output level option that can be used for monitoring, as well.
That makes sense, the headphones are amps (different etc) and can't physically undergo that transformation.

That's cool.

So, has there been a price mentioned for buying the AFX2DAW plugin for one of the basic Discrete packages? Or is it just in bundled in the premium upgrades?

For example, I'd be interested in just that without the additional preamp channel strips, as I tend to use hardware for tracking. But, would love access to the plugs for mixing. I'm sure I'm not alone here...

Thanks!
Old 6 days ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
OK I guess you said the Re Amp outs are going to be utilized for line outs...

That makes sense, the headphones are amps (different etc) and can't physically undergo that transformation.

That's cool.

So, has there been a price mentioned for buying the AFX2DAW plugin for one of the basic Discrete packages? Or is it just in bundled in the premium upgrades?

For example, I'd be interested in just that without the additional preamp channel strips, as I tend to use hardware for tracking. But, would love access to the plugs for mixing. I'm sure I'm not alone here...

Thanks!
I see what you're asking now, so try I misread your question.

I'm not sure if it will be possible to make a couple outputs double as reamp outs on the Discrete 4. I'll have to inquire with the engineers about this.
Old 6 days ago
Gear Head

Got the Discreet 4 delivered today. Opened it up just to see/feel it, still building my system as I type though but everything is here and getting setup.

I posted my system in another thread if you're curious, I turned it on and can't hear it at all, beefy specs too pure offline DAW.

I didn't get the mic that I signed up for during pre-order from Antelope, assuming that will come from you guys once the mic is ready to be released?
Old 6 days ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Got the Discreet 4 delivered today. Opened it up just to see/feel it, still building my system as I type though but everything is here and getting setup.

I posted my system in another thread if you're curious, I turned it on and can't hear it at all, beefy specs too pure offline DAW.

I didn't get the mic that I signed up for during pre-order from Antelope, assuming that will come from you guys once the mic is ready to be released?
Yes, the mic will ship to you once we have them ready. Thanks for the purchase. What did you mean "can't hear it at all". Did you register it yet? That's how the panel software will be found, just follow the steps listed on that web page link in the box and let us know if we can help at all further.
Old 6 days ago
Lives for gear

Quote:

keep us updated how it sounds
Old 6 days ago
Lives for gear

anyone compared the Dircret 4 or 8 to an Audient iD22 or a RME Babyface pro ?

is Antelope AD/DA+preamps a good enough step up
to justify a upgrade sound vice ?
Old 6 days ago
Gear Head

Quote:
Yes, the mic will ship to you once we have them ready. Thanks for the purchase. What did you mean "can't hear it at all". Did you register it yet? That's how the panel software will be found, just follow the steps listed on that web page link in the box and let us know if we can help at all further.
Thanks Clybourne, I meant the system itself, I built a silent cool dedicated daw. Cores idling at 17c-20c, still updating stuff just registered I'll update certainly.

Power supply cables were tight as I expected, lots of misc little issues. The fan even though its a slimmer model still was too close to the memory and I wanted this particular type which wasn't low profile. Swapped the fan around though since case fans will be off.
Old 6 days ago
Gear Head

Hmm no thunderbolt drivers? I installed the USB drivers from the site however it's not picking up the unit with the thunderbolt connection (figured those drives would have both). I see "Base System Device" when connected via thundbolt.

Once I connect the USB it picks up device manager 'Discreet 4' playback and recording instances.

Then on your video before downloading the launcher, it says:

"Start the software launcher and hit activate".

There's no activate once the Antelop Launcher comes up. It goes only to a screen that shows 'update' or 'admin'. Something about some server running.

I hit update, will see what happens. Very confusing.

Edit:
After "updating" which seemed to update the firmware, I was able to register the device. Thunderbolt still doesn't work. I can't do any more today I'll pick it back up tomorrow afternoon.

Last edited by Piavoice; 6 days ago at 04:25 AM..
Old 6 days ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Hmm no thunderbolt drivers? I installed the USB drivers from the site however it's not picking up the unit with the thunderbolt connection (figured those drives would have both). I see "Base System Device" when connected via thundbolt.

Once I connect the USB it picks up device manager 'Discreet 4' playback and recording instances.

Then on your video before downloading the launcher, it says:

"Start the software launcher and hit activate".

There's no activate once the Antelop Launcher comes up. It goes only to a screen that shows 'update' or 'admin'. Something about some server running.

I hit update, will see what happens. Very confusing.

Edit:
After "updating" which seemed to update the firmware, I was able to register the device. Thunderbolt still doesn't work. I can't do any more today I'll pick it back up tomorrow afternoon.
The activate screen comes up after you load the launcher and start the Control Panel. (for those that didn't see your comments).

Are you Mac or PC? On a mac, make sure you download our driver on the page you got the Launcher from. PC Thunderbolt driver is coming. We're still doing testing on it.
Old 6 days ago
Gear Head

Quote:
The activate screen comes up after you load the launcher and start the Control Panel. (for those that didn't see your comments).

Are you Mac or PC? On a mac, make sure you download our driver on the page you got the Launcher from. PC Thunderbolt driver is coming. We're still doing testing on it.
PC. Yes I was able to load the drivers right away, and activate it eventually. Wasn't bad, just not very obvious and not like the video outlined before downloading the launcher.

Any idea how long till the thunderbolt drivers are released? I have no desire to test this in USB mode. I bought it specifically for thunderbolt.

I'll chime in more later today when I have time to work on it. Unit looks well made, can't wait to see it in action but not on USB.
Old 5 days ago
Quote:
Haven't followed the thread this close. It seems there are a lot of letdowns. Maybe it isn't this worthy, after all?
Old 5 days ago
Gear Head
Quote:
I have no desire to test this in USB mode. I bought it specifically for thunderbolt.

I'll chime in more later today when I have time to work on it. Unit looks well made, can't wait to see it in action but not on USB.
Oh come ooon! Just give us some insight on the thing.

*chants*

User feedback, user feedback!

@ProGearLover

That was a quick conclusion haha. I really don't see any issue.
Old 5 days ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by ProGearLover View Post
Haven't followed the thread this close. It seems there are a lot of letdowns. Maybe it isn't this worthy, after all?
Just to be clear my driver issues okay solely with those interfaces listed. I have no idea how the discrete 4 will be if that's what you mean
Old 5 days ago
Gear Head

I'm loading some daw software now. Couple more thoughts:

No manual that I could find, can't find it online. In the Discrete 4 product support page, the "For the full user manual, click here." provides no clickable link. There's just the introductory vid and the 'learn more' that takes you back.

No power switch that I can find, or option to shut it off. I have to unplug it, is this right?

I plugged in my mic with the software running, can't hear anything and nothing showing up in the Discrete 4 control app. Tried both ports, still the same. Thinking it may have something to do about the 48v, is there a spot to activate it?

Edit: I have system sounds and everything fine, videos, etc, just nothing from the Mic yet.

Edit: got the daw working fine, sound is super crisp on the headphones, will test on monitors after all this other stuff is setup.Buttons and digital control knob feels good.

Edit: The Discrete 4 Asio driver works, but on 48.8 it seems locked at 864 samples, 23 in 30 out latency. No obvious Asio control panel, is there a way I can change those settings in the hardware?
Answered: The settings were in the Discrete control settings, and I could change them after closing all programs and restarting the launcher ( Chaange Buffer Size to 64, and USB Streaming mode to Min Latency). At 64 samples 3 in 2 out. Solid playing. Using Reason 9.5 btw, have some nice stress tests so far so good.

Edit: Got the mic working, sounds smooth, had to put it on the 3rd or 4th input where there's a clickable '48v' in the top of the Discreet control panel (had to click the GUITAR to change the input to something else, then hit the 48v). The discrete 4 control panel is definitely confusing and doesn't reflect what many of the videos show when you hit the "How To" inside the effect area of the DAW portion. I'm sure that will be a familiarity thing, but at this point not sure what I'm supposed to be seeing as far as routing effects, setting up ports, etc.

Edit:

Got it all working now, getting there. USB performance is stellar. I thought I'd have latency issues with monitoring in my DAW over the USB connection, however it's absolutely spot-on-speedy, no crackles, solid 3ms / 2ms throwing a ton of stuff at it much better than I'd hoped. Going to play around witht he AFX now that the basics are done.

I want Thunderbolt asap, however so far very happy with USB.

PC System itself (if anyone was looking at my other posts with the new build) is absolutely everything I'd hoped. Silent (and I mean "silent", crazy powerful, extremely cool (idles at 17-20). I managed to get my DSP up to almost 4 bars in an audio stress test in Reason, totally silent, no cpu went above 50c.

Last edited by Piavoice; 5 days ago at 09:35 PM..
New Reply Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook  Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter  Submit Thread to LinkedIn LinkedIn  Submit Thread to Google+ Google+  Submit Thread to Reddit Reddit 

Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search