The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Antelope Discrete 4 Interface for $899
Old 6th March 2019
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Esla View Post
I wish they would complete the current line of product to 100% before releasing another!!!

Come on, finish the D4 on stability and market promises already. I'm tired of dropouts, Control panel connection failures and antelopeaudioserver never shutting off. I also feel for the PC peeps.

I am also hesitant to upgrade or further invest in the ecosystem because they don't seem to be doing too great as a company. Sweetwater dropping them was a BAD sign.
Dear Esla,

We couldn't help but notice that you just keep on repeating the same things over and over again. We would love to help you out, really. Please just contact our Technical Support crew.

Cheers!
Old 7th March 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Antelope Audio View Post
Dear Esla,

We couldn't help but notice that you just keep on repeating the same things over and over again. We would love to help you out, really. Please just contact our Technical Support crew.

Cheers!
Not exactly, my list of stability issues has grown over time. Though I am guilty of bringing up old issues because so many seem rooted in antelopeaudioserver.

I will always be a strong advocate for Antelopeaudioserver to only run when Antelope products are in use due to its inefficient use of CPU in idle and potential effect on stability.

Support with you is a time investment and requires remote access to my machine which is logistically difficult for me. Mostly my fault, but I have already had a few missed connections. I find email exchanges sufficient with most other developers.

I was able to find solutions for the Golden Boot Loader issue on a forum. If the reason for that issue given on the forum was true than that is another reason to fix the Antelopeaudioserver design flaws.

I haven’t had the runaway CPU issue where antelopeaudioserver revs up to 100% for a long while, I think possibly a reinstall or update fixed it.

The issues with Control Panel crashing mid session or always having to reboot my system to open Control Panel is something I will try to go over with support eventually. I think I have a calm no travel or crazy work week coming up at the end of this month when I can do the remote access meeting.

If support fixes my stability issues and an idle antelopeaudioserver stops running when I’m not using Antelope I will be D4’s strongest advocate. It would be easier for me if this could be done via email.
Old 16th March 2019
Gear Nut

"Apple now has it, Windows does not. "

In Logic on a iMac 2.3 GHz Intel Core i5 8 GB DDR4 it does not work in usable way. other brand plugs work flawless....it is fiddly, sluggish, poor preset management, UI needs work and still has bugs.

so...windows not missing much. to use plugs at this point i am still only printing on way in. sound is great though...
Old 18th April 2019
Gear Head

@ Jonas - What are the exact issues that you're experiencing and have you contacted our technical support for those issues?
@ Esla - Were you able to find a solution to the issues that you were experiencing?
Old 23rd April 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam Antelope Audio View Post
@ Jonas - What are the exact issues that you're experiencing and have you contacted our technical support for those issues?
@ Esla - Were you able to find a solution to the issues that you were experiencing?
I have not had a hardware or connection issue for a long time! I've had countless jams and a few recording sessions with zero issue. I'm considering those issues solved. I do not like, and will be forever creeped out that Antelopeaudiosever running and draining CPU (albiet .7-8%) at all times. It really is perfect if not for that pesky little bit.

At any rate, I slutted out and passed it on to try out the Quantum. D4 is the best sounding interface I have tried so I may be back to antelope in the future. I am strugling in uninstalling Antelopeaudioserver. Any suggestions?
Old 25th April 2019
Lives for gear

Update:

Antelope Audio chat support was lightning fast, wish I would have used that everytime. To remove the hidden .Antelopeaudio folder the support tech gave instructions to view hidden folders and a location (its in shared for OSX) No more antelopeaudioserver!
Old 27th April 2019
Here for the gear

Hello everybody!

I'm wondering if there's a way to skip the pre of this unit...
I would like to use my external gear, Great River ME-1NV.
Do I have just to connect the balanced output from the G.R. to one of the rear Antelope TRS input?
Is there any difference between front and rear inputs??

Does this unit work well in Windows 10?

Many Thanx!
Old 30th April 2019
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveHawk75 View Post
Hello everybody!

I'm wondering if there's a way to skip the pre of this unit...
I would like to use my external gear, Great River ME-1NV.
Do I have just to connect the balanced output from the G.R. to one of the rear Antelope TRS input?
Is there any difference between front and rear inputs??

Does this unit work well in Windows 10?

Many Thanx!
Hi!

You can use any of the 4 preamps, they can act as Hi-Z input, line inputs and as normal preamps. You can switch between these modes via the software control panel of the interface, the only important thing that you should know is that in order to input line signal, you should always use a TRS connector on the side of our interfaces.

We support both USB and Thunderbolt connectivity for Windows 10!

If any other questions come up - you can message me directly.
Old 1st May 2019
Here for the gear

Hey guys, new user here.
I've been looking to buy the Discrete 4 recently, as in terms of sound quality, latency, and connectivity it seems to promise everything that I need.
But the reviews here and on other pages on the internet have been rather off-putting to say the least.
I'm hesitant to take the leap because I'd be ordering from abroad and I'm quite worried that the device won't work properly.

Does anyone mind sharing and update about how they're getting along with the interface now?
Should I be worried that the interface won't work with my 2017 MacBook Pro?
Does AFX2DAW work properly, and how does it sound?
What kind of latency can I expect at 64 sample buffer size without the FPGA effects? (Can't find this info anywhere).

Should I just go for the Clarett 4Pre or Quantum 2?

Thanks in advance for any help.
Old 3rd May 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by LilQuestionAsker View Post
Hey guys, new user here.
I've been looking to buy the Discrete 4 recently, as in terms of sound quality, latency, and connectivity it seems to promise everything that I need.
But the reviews here and on other pages on the internet have been rather off-putting to say the least.
I'm hesitant to take the leap because I'd be ordering from abroad and I'm quite worried that the device won't work properly.

Does anyone mind sharing and update about how they're getting along with the interface now?
Should I be worried that the interface won't work with my 2017 MacBook Pro?
Does AFX2DAW work properly, and how does it sound?
What kind of latency can I expect at 64 sample buffer size without the FPGA effects? (Can't find this info anywhere).

Should I just go for the Clarett 4Pre or Quantum 2?

Thanks in advance for any help.
On my 2016 MacBook Pro it did not perform well on medium sized projects with a 64 sample buffer. My i7 quadcore would clip if I had some delays or reverbs in the mix, Kontakt was always a gamble with buffers that low. My new Quantum works great at 32 buffer performing 2ms with multiple kontakts, delays and reverbs. CPU/latency just isn't an issue with the Quantum.

Recently, all my stability issues with the D4 and control panel seemed to go away through updates or forum advice. All accept that the Antelopeaudioserver program ran all the time draining CPU even when you arent using it. At times, I would see it taking up 10% CPU while running normally!!!

Speed/CPU Performance
Quantum >>>> Discrete 4 = Clarett

Preamp tone
Discrete 4 > Clarett > Quantum
(Quantum is clean with no magic, D4 just sounds great)

Ease Workflow
Quantum > Clarett >> Discrete 4

Keep in mind, they all sound great, I doubt 99% of listeners would beable to tell the differnece. That said, D4 sounds best. And becuase of the great pres and headphone outs, it is the best unit for recording several vocalists. that may have just confused you more but that is my experience.
Old 7th May 2019
Here for the gear

Quote:
On my 2016 MacBook Pro it did not perform well on medium sized projects with a 64 sample buffer. My i7 quadcore would clip if I had some delays or reverbs in the mix, Kontakt was always a gamble with buffers that low. My new Quantum works great at 32 buffer performing 2ms with multiple kontakts, delays and reverbs. CPU/latency just isn't an issue with the Quantum.

Recently, all my stability issues with the D4 and control panel seemed to go away through updates or forum advice. All accept that the Antelopeaudioserver program ran all the time draining CPU even when you arent using it. At times, I would see it taking up 10% CPU while running normally!!!

Speed/CPU Performance
Quantum >>>> Discrete 4 = Clarett

Preamp tone
Discrete 4 > Clarett > Quantum
(Quantum is clean with no magic, D4 just sounds great)

Ease Workflow
Quantum > Clarett >> Discrete 4

Keep in mind, they all sound great, I doubt 99% of listeners would beable to tell the differnece. That said, D4 sounds best. And becuase of the great pres and headphone outs, it is the best unit for recording several vocalists. that may have just confused you more but that is my experience.
Thanks for the reply!
It's interesting to hear the the D4 didn't perform very well at a lower buffer size, because low latency seems to be one of the selling points of the product?
What kind of latency, in milliseconds, do you get from the D4 at 64 & 128 buffer? If I'm trying to record softsynth or is it usable?

And how do you feel about AFX2DAW? Are the plugins as good they you hoped, and is it usable or very buggy?

Thanks
Old 7th May 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by LilQuestionAsker View Post
Thanks for the reply!
It's interesting to hear the the D4 didn't perform very well at a lower buffer size, because low latency seems to be one of the selling points of the product?
What kind of latency, in milliseconds, do you get from the D4 at 64 & 128 buffer? If I'm trying to record softsynth or is it usable?

And how do you feel about AFX2DAW? Are the plugins as good they you hoped, and is it usable or very buggy?

Thanks
I don’t remember the exact latency figures, they were similar with perhaps a slight edge over Clarett IME. I could get very low latency with stability for tracking 3-7ms between 64-128 at 44.1kHz. I could run a few reverbs and some synth plugs, but if I tried using too many voices in an instance of Session Horns Pro in Kontakt I would clip CPU at lower buffer settings. With Quantum I can run down to 2ms (32 buffer) run allot of plugs including multiple instances of Session Horns in Kontakt. Presonus put some strange Voodoo in that box. If only it had the sweetness of the D4 preamps the Quantum would be perfect.

The AFX plugs are amazing! They sound great and have no latency or effect on your CPU. The compressors truest felt like quality hardware outboard compressors I’ve used. I did not try AFX2DAW because it was a $600 (now $300) upgrade to access them and early reports were that it was not stable. It seems Antelope needs a year or three to work out stability issues and complete advertised features after launching a product, this has been my Discrete 4 experience.

I had allot of issues with antelopeaudioserver that you can read about in this thread. Antelopeaudioserver woes is what ultimately pushed me to give into gear lust and replace it with Quantum. I don’t think it bothers most users as much as it bothers some. I don't regret using the D4 for the last year, it is a great interface and now it is stable IME.

Last edited by Esla; 7th May 2019 at 02:12 PM..
Old 9th May 2019
Gear Head

Quote:
I don’t remember the exact latency figures, they were similar with perhaps a slight edge over Clarett IME. I could get very low latency with stability for tracking 3-7ms between 64-128 at 44.1kHz. I could run a few reverbs and some synth plugs, but if I tried using too many voices in an instance of Session Horns Pro in Kontakt I would clip CPU at lower buffer settings. With Quantum I can run down to 2ms (32 buffer) run allot of plugs including multiple instances of Session Horns in Kontakt. Presonus put some strange Voodoo in that box. If only it had the sweetness of the D4 preamps the Quantum would be perfect.

The AFX plugs are amazing! They sound great and have no latency or effect on your CPU. The compressors truest felt like quality hardware outboard compressors I’ve used. I did not try AFX2DAW because it was a $600 (now $300) upgrade to access them and early reports were that it was not stable. It seems Antelope needs a year or three to work out stability issues and complete advertised features after launching a product, this has been my Discrete 4 experience.

I had allot of issues with antelopeaudioserver that you can read about in this thread. Antelopeaudioserver woes is what ultimately pushed me to give into gear lust and replace it with Quantum. I don’t think it bothers most users as much as it bothers some. I don't regret using the D4 for the last year, it is a great interface and now it is stable IME.
Hi Esla!

Did our support engineers (and if it was needed one of our software engineers) take a look at this? Indeed the manager server shouldn't be taking up that much CPU.

I'll be expecting your reply!
Old 9th May 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam Antelope Audio View Post
Hi Esla!

Did our support engineers (and if it was needed one of our software engineers) take a look at this? Indeed the manager server shouldn't be taking up that much CPU.

I'll be expecting your reply!
One of your guys here expressed (in a slightly condensending way) that when in idle, a few percent was both low and perfectly normal. He include a screenshot of his CPU usage and it was around 3% if I remember correctly. 10% on my system was reproducable but not consistant. I should have made that clear, thinking back I becoming less sure that it wasn't actually the D4 Control Panel that was eating the CPU and I just precieved it as Antelopeaudioserver becuase of past woes. Its hard to demo or test now as I sold the D4.

A great Antelope tech or engineer was quick at helping me via your chat feature when I wasn't able to get rid of antelopeaudioserver post uninstall. I really like the imediacy of that service feature and it gave me allot of confidence in the direction Antelope is heading.

Look, I no longer have the D4 to test, I think I have clogged up this thread enough. For peeps considering: It is a great box with fabulous tone, insane connectivity for size and FPGA driven AFX! The caveat is that currently Antelopeaudioserver is always running and takes a small but significant amount of CPU resource IME.
Old 4 weeks ago
Here for the gear
Hi LilQuestionAsker,

I recently bought the Discrete 4 and had some crackling issues with it on Windows 10, decided to upgrade my motherboard to gigabyte z390 designare with built in TB3 ports, via a Startech TB2 cable into Apple TB2 > TB3 adapter; Works great! The only thing off putting is that the AFX2DAW Windows 10 plugin isn't out yet, as I purchased the product based on the marketing that I will be able to use these plugins in Ableton. I have not suffered as long as a lot of people have who are waiting for the plug, and it seems as if its coming out soon.

As for the quality of the device: I have had some issues here and there with crackling or the audio turning into a metallic robot, which seems to have disappeared with the latest TB Windows 10 beta driver. The device itself sounds great. Lovely conversion, preamps, and the AFX plugins sound great. I have used some of them (from within the antelope mixer, not DAW) for tracking vocals. The unit itself seems very solid and well built. If they solve this Windows 10 AFX2DAW issue that would eliminate my only surviving gripe!

I used to have a UA Apollo Duo rack, which I ended up selling due to financial reasons. I was attracted to Antelope because of the free premium AFX pack included with the Discrete 4. I spent way too much money on my UA plugins and was not about to shell out several thousand more to jump back into the UA ecosystem - nothing against UA, their plugins sound amazing and its a quality piece of gear, but too rich for my current situation.

I would recommend this unit, but if you are running Windows 10, be forewarned that using the AFX plugins for mixing is a pain in the ass currently, until the AFX2DAW Windows 10 driver is released. Other than that, very solid interface, works great on Thunder Bolt for Windows. Their support is really quick to respond as well.
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search