The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
Antelope Discrete 4 Interface for $899
Old 9th December 2018
  #691
Gear Nut
 

Alexiliev83, whats the status on AFX2DAW for Windows customers?
Old 10th December 2018
  #692
Gear Maniac
Quote:
Originally Posted by Piavoice View Post
Alexiliev83, whats the status on AFX2DAW for Windows customers?
Hello Pavoice,

Currently we are working to release our Windows thunderbolt driver. AFX2DAW for Windows will most likely be released in 2019.

Best Regards,
Alex
Old 18th December 2018
  #693
Gear Maniac
 
Barmaley's Avatar
So I've uninstalled the Discrete 4 drivers and related stuff many months ago.

What is this? What kind of information was it sending? How do I remove it completely?



Old 18th December 2018
  #694
Lives for gear
 
AlphaDingo's Avatar
 

I would like to know what information was being sent as well.
Old 19th December 2018
  #695
Lives for gear
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barmaley View Post
So I've uninstalled the Discrete 4 drivers and related stuff many months ago.

What is this? What kind of information was it sending? How do I remove it completely?



I have brought this up in the past, all I got from the Antelope peeps here was contact CS. So I did and after some trouble lining up a time to give CS remote service on my computer I gave up. I never got an answer how to permanently shut it down when I close the app or why it runs at all when you aren’t updating.

Antelopeaudioserver is the only issue I have with my D4. Occasionally, while my computer is not in use it will wind up uncontrollably and get hot, I’ll open it up and Antelopeaudioserver is going nuts in the activity monitor and I will have to force quit. This has happened around 4-6 times and once it was a day after last use of the D4 and while it was closed in my brief case. I’m lucky my computer was not damaged.

I have a 2016 Mac Book Pro that I keep 2mo behind on OSX updates because that is how long it seems NI needs to iron out glitches.

Antelopeaudioserver is the only reason I can not suggest the D4 to anyone. I actually love the D4 but this uncontrolled, unexplained, non defeatable Antelopeaudioserver is very troubling. I have some computer science colleagues/friends, I’ll see if they can look into it for me after the holiday.
Old 19th December 2018
  #696
Gear Nut
 
2busdriver's Avatar
 

On a mac, A***audioserver is a .kext file that is (was for me) still in the (root?) even after running their (A**ope's) very own uninstall command and also, for me, still there after running appcleaner. You have to unload the kext by some means so it's not running and then delete it. If you want to keep the file and control its activity, or at leaast prevent it from calling home...I've been using LittleSnitch to block it. In deleting the kext I'm referring to the, hopefully, last step in deleting all A***lope crap from your system should you get to that point. If you want the thing to call home then leave it alone or block it/unblock it as needed. You might want it to call home at times, if you want the stuff at all.
I'm not a pro at this, just spent endless hours getting some internet forum answers when I wanted it gone or wanted to defeat its behavior.

Last edited by 2busdriver; 19th December 2018 at 06:10 AM..
Old 19th December 2018
  #697
Lives for gear
 

Antelope!!! Please end this ridiculousness. Customers should not be forced to go through the above actions to stop this, i don't even know what to call it... CPU hungry spyware?

I should not have to permanently sacrifice 2% of my CPU to Antelopeaudioserver 100% of the time even when not connected to your hardware. And, we should not have to worry about your antelopeaudioserver glitching out and heating up our CPU randomly.
Old 19th December 2018
  #698
Gear Maniac
 
Barmaley's Avatar
Interesting input, guys. I'll need to investigate this.
Old 19th December 2018
  #699
Gear Maniac
Hello,

From the attached pictures I can observe only one thing.
Antelope Audio's server has requested 1.24GB to be downloaded from our In House Servers.
This is most likely because you have recently installed/downloaded new Control Panel or even Firmware.

This process cannot drain your CPU or memory and it only acts as a bridge between your Device Request and In House Servers Send.
Regarding the conspiracy theory that Antelope Audio Server is sending some kind of private data, You can find what kind of personal data has been processed by the company here.

As always you can contact out Support Department if you experience any unusual behavior of your device.

Best Regards,
Alex
Old 19th December 2018
  #700
Lives for gear
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by alexiliev83 View Post
This process cannot drain your CPU or memory and it only acts as a bridge between your Device Request and In House Servers Send.
Unfortunately, this statement is incorrect. It is always using in-between 1.4-99% on my system. So you don't accuse me of being a conspiracy nut again I have attached an activity monitor screenshot. Please implement an update that kills antelopeaudioserver as soon as the app is closed and this issue will disappear.

May you please explain why it runs when the app is not opened?
Attached Thumbnails
Antelope Discrete 4 Interface for 9-screen-shot-2018-12-19-8.01.51-am.jpg  
Old 19th December 2018
  #701
Gear Maniac
Quote:
Originally Posted by Esla View Post
Unfortunately, this statement is incorrect. It is always using in-between 1.4-99% on my system. Please explain why it runs when the app is not opened?
Hello Esla,

As i said many times i will not turn this discussion in to Troubleshooting forum.
If you believe there is a problem with your unit, please contact AA Tech Support.

Alex
Old 19th December 2018
  #702
Lives for gear
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by alexiliev83 View Post
Hello Esla,

As i said many times i will not turn this discussion in to Troubleshooting forum.
If you believe there is a problem with your unit, please contact AA Tech Support.

Alex
Hi Alex,

May you give us a straight answer on what it is doing and why it can't be turned off?

Please clarify this mystery for us and encourage your development team to release an update that defeats it when your products are not in use. You dismissed me as a conspiracy nut earlier (which I found disrespectful) but as you can see from my activity monitor it is factually running and eating CPU. Why? I haven't used D4 or the control panel for over 24 hr prior to that screenshot. Further, it was taken after I force quit the program and it pop right back up again.

So far the only solution to stop antelopeaudioserver from running when not using your products is the procedure posted above. I do not think we should be required to use anti-malware tools to stop a legit program.
Old 19th December 2018
  #703
Gear Maniac
Quote:
Originally Posted by Esla View Post
Hi Alex,

May you give us a straight answer on what it is doing and why it can't be turned off?

Please clarify this mystery for us and encourage your development team to release an update that defeats it when your products are not in use. You dismissed me as a conspiracy nut earlier (which I found disrespectful) but as you can see from my activity monitor it is factually running and eating CPU. Why? I haven't used D4 or the control panel for over 24 hr prior to that screenshot. Further, it was taken after I force quit the program and it pop right back up again.

So far the only solution to stop antelopeaudioserver from running when not using your products is the procedure posted above. I do not think we should be required to use anti-malware tools to stop a legit program.
Hello Esla,

This is a background process which also appear (for me) as IDLE process. However i did a screenshot and it looks like that "browsing Gearslutz", drains more CPU than AntelopeAudioServer". (check the attached picture)
Maybe we need to mass-mail Gearlsutz and ask them why it drains so much CPU? Is it because of the snowfall on the background or there is a hidden malware!

As i said a couple of times, if you believe there is something unusual with your system please contact AA Support.

Best Regards,
Alex
Attached Thumbnails
Antelope Discrete 4 Interface for 9-screen-shot-2018-12-20-0.10.58.png  

Last edited by alexiliev83; 20th December 2018 at 09:37 AM..
Old 19th December 2018
  #704
Gear Nut
 
2busdriver's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by alexiliev83 View Post
Hello Esla,

This is a background process which also appear (for me) as IDLE process. However i did a screenshot and it looks like that "browsing Gearslutz", drain more CPU than AntelopeAudioServer". (check the attached picture)
Maybe we need to mass-mail Gearlsutz and ask them why it drain so much CPU? Is it because of the snowfall on the background or there is a hidden malware!

As i said a couple of times, if you believe there is something unusual with your system please contact AA Support.

Best Regards,
Alex
You can turn the snowflakes off - click humbug.
Old 20th December 2018
  #705
Lives for gear
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by alexiliev83 View Post
Hello Esla,

This is a background process which also appear (for me) as IDLE process. However i did a screenshot and it looks like that "browsing Gearslutz", drain more CPU than AntelopeAudioServer". (check the attached picture)
Maybe we need to mass-mail Gearlsutz and ask them why it drain so much CPU? Is it because of the snowfall on the background or there is a hidden malware!

As i said a couple of times, if you believe there is something unusual with your system please contact AA Support.

Best Regards,
Alex
What is your point? That when you run browser apps or visit hungry websites they eat CPU??? Well yeah man, obviously. Your analogy emphasizes why I don’t like antelopeaudioserver eating my CPU when I’m not using Antelope.

I’ll try again to ask this simple question:

Why does Antelopeaudioserver run when I close and disconnect all my Antelope products???

When I close my browser while on GS the CPU drain disappears. When I close Antelope Control Panel Antelopeaudioserver is running and eating CPU even days after or after a “force quit.” Imagine if I had 50 apps installed that required this behavior, no CPU left to open apps. See the issue?

I do think/hope that it is unique when the antelopeaudioserver revs up to 99% days after closing antelope control app. However, the always on issue has been confirmed by others, it is characteristic of your product, thus it does not fall under your no trouble shooting policy. This is a legit product question, I look forward to an Antelope answer.

However, we would prefer an Antelope soft update solution;-)

Lastly, not sure why your sending so much shade to a customer that likes your product, planed to buy more but has one easy concern to address. It isn’t a customer outreach angle you see often.
Old 20th December 2018
  #706
Gear Maniac
Quote:
Originally Posted by Esla View Post
What is your point? That when you run browser apps or visit hungry websites they eat CPU??? Well yeah man, obviously. Your analogy emphasizes why I don’t like antelopeaudioserver eating my CPU when I’m not using Antelope.

I’ll try again to ask this simple question:

Why does Antelopeaudioserver run when I close and disconnect all my Antelope products???

Hello Esla,

My point is that, if you want your device to be discoverable in your Local network (Ethernet,Wi-fi..etc) this process must be running. Also this is the communication bridge between your device's Firmware,New Drivers,Control Panels, new FPGA FX, New mic modeling and our Server.If this process drains more than 10% when you are not using it for downloading new FW for example there might be a problem like "old Management Server version". In this case you need to update your management server. However, if you are blocking this process with 3rd party software like Little Snitch for example, this may affect the normal functionality of your unit.

I hope that now my answer is more clear for you.

Alex

Last edited by alexiliev83; 20th December 2018 at 11:06 AM..
Old 20th December 2018
  #707
Lives for gear
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by alexiliev83 View Post
Hello Esla,

My point is that, if you want your device to be discoverable in your Local network (Ethernet,Wi-fi..etc) this process must be running. Also this is the communication bridge between your device's Firmware,New Drivers,Control Panels, new FPGA FX, New mic modeling and our Server.If this process drains more than 10% when you are not using it for downloading new FW for example there might be a problem like "old Management Server version". In this case you need to update your management server. However, if you are blocking this process with 3rd party software like Little Snitch for example, this may affect the normal functionality of your unit.

I hope that now my answer is more clear for you.

Alex
Ok, but why can’t it launch with control panel? I think that would be a more robust method, this seems to work fine with other hardware like Clarett. With Antelope I often have connection issues without a reboot, perhaps because that is the only way to reboot antelopeaudioserver.

Also this seems very CPU heavy for idle program, for instance, on your system if you had 33 app developers who behaved the same with always-on idle programs you wouldn’t have enough CPU left over at idle to open a single app and visit GS. This is a significant design flaw that should be addressed; also, it hanging around post uninstal is for sure only viewable as a design flaw.

Thank you for finally providing an informative non-insulting response. Third times the charm

Last edited by Esla; 20th December 2018 at 08:48 PM..
Old 22nd December 2018
  #708
Here for the gear
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by alexiliev83 View Post
Hello Esla,

This is a background process which also appear (for me) as IDLE process. However i did a screenshot and it looks like that "browsing Gearslutz", drains more CPU than AntelopeAudioServer". (check the attached picture)
Maybe we need to mass-mail Gearlsutz and ask them why it drains so much CPU? Is it because of the snowfall on the background or there is a hidden malware!

As i said a couple of times, if you believe there is something unusual with your system please contact AA Support.

Best Regards,
Alex
Do you work for antelope? I was about to buy this unit but, if you do, (I presume you do) this post has totally put me off.

Esla is a customer who wanted a simple answer to a simple question.
Nobody in this business wants unknown processes running background with no idea what they are.
Most people who produce, mix and master want to know exactly what’s going on in their system.

Taking about how much CPU gearsltz uses is immature and defensive, an attitude that puts me off any company.

I’m glad I read this post.
Old 26th December 2018
  #709
Gear Nut
 
Jonas's Avatar
generally the always connected aspect of my D4 is somewhat annoying. Need a big switch to be connected or not. normal operation would be open and run CP / Hardware....then periodically run updates...then turn it off again. Even if for the simple reason e.g. a few times lately I get an idea flip the system on then updates sidetrack me and I loose the idea. Need dumb mode. yes I can not install the update but once presented with the choice my mind can get off track.

Other:

(totally not sure has anything to do with D4) is lately I have to kill Firefox or running Logic chokes my iMac.

afx2daw not even close to seamless. glitchy, awkward startup, awkward preset functions, fiddly, hard to select some UI elements , kludgy meters

marriage between CP, launcher and DAW (using afx2daw) is messy and distracting.

having to push and hold one button then push another to turn off unit is annoying

no power switch annoying

need major UI overhaul
Old 26th December 2018
  #710
Lives for gear
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonas View Post
generally the always connected aspect of my D4 is somewhat annoying. Need a big switch to be connected or not. normal operation would be open and run CP / Hardware....then periodically run updates...then turn it off again. Even if for the simple reason e.g. a few times lately I get an idea flip the system on then updates sidetrack me and I loose the idea. Need dumb mode. yes I can not install the update but once presented with the choice my mind can get off track.

Other:

(totally not sure has anything to do with D4) is lately I have to kill Firefox or running Logic chokes my iMac.

afx2daw not even close to seamless. glitchy, awkward startup, awkward preset functions, fiddly, hard to select some UI elements , kludgy meters

marriage between CP, launcher and DAW (using afx2daw) is messy and distracting.

having to push and hold one button then push another to turn off unit is annoying

no power switch annoying

need major UI overhaul
I figured there would be some growing pains with AFX2DAW. I still want to upgrade even if I decide Control Panel easier to use. I also want to test the Verge mic before considering the expensive ones.

Do you notice any latency with AFX2DAW while it is running smooth?

I so damn busy all the time but I think I will have a moment to have the virtual meetup with Antelope support this week. Hopefully I can figure out the run away antelopeaudioserver issue and the random CP won’t open unless I reboot system issue. That will be step 1. Step 2 is deciding if I want to invest more into this ecosystem with all the growing pains that don’t seem to go away, antelopeaudioserver is my main annoyance but I haven’t dove into the other products yet.

On a positive note, the comps and EQ plugs are top notch, especially the DBX clones, much better than my soft tubes clones. To have these accessible in DAW should be a work flow blessing. Also, the idea of reprinting which mic you recorded with is extremely sexy. I have been doing that with comp and EQ inputs on bass and it makes me feel more comfortable adding flavor to my bass signal on the monitor while recording clean with out the hassle of hardware signal splitters or taking up physical inputs. The added verity slows workflow down the line but speeds it up when your felling inspired.
Old 26th December 2018
  #711
Gear Nut
 
Jonas's Avatar
Not obvious latency no. I have had random crackle and tearing which made me stop using it altogether. Also had it not load already loaded plugs (dissapearing plugs). have not tested since yesterdays update. was going to but UI issues stopped me...dont have time to reclick a UI element (like "add plug" )

Yes the plugs do sound very good. the default settings are strange compared to other companies. e.g. one plug very quite, the next very load. not sure if that is supposed to be "like the real thing" but it is strange. have enjoyed some of the sound quality though. hoping bugs , ui and preset functions improve.

Another point on the plus side none of what I said has anything to do with the Edge and related software which are performing well. when I track vox I do one track with mic emulation, pre and comp on the way in (from emulations in CP) and another track "dry" then add emulation and other stuff afterwards. cool have the option to A/B

Last edited by Jonas; 27th December 2018 at 06:18 AM..
Old 11th January 2019
  #712
Gear Maniac
 
Antelope Audio's Avatar
After a long development process, we are very proud to announce that Antelope Audio's Thunderbolt Windows Driver is out of beta and available as an officially supported release. Happy recording!

Quote:
Originally Posted by senchev View Post
Hello all,

Yesterday we pushed the Windows Thunderbolt driver out of Beta and is now officially supported release.

During the Beta period we fixed the outstanding bugs and tweaked the performance. You can check how the Discrete 8 compares to other devices on the Low Latency Performance Data Base Thread. I'd like to thank @ TAFKAT for his great work on the LLP Database and for measuring the Discrete 8.
Latency-wise we were able to get stable playback at 192kHz with 64 samples buffer size in Studio One on ASRock Fatal1ty Z370 Gaming-ITX/ac with Intel Core i7-8700 CPU, which on the Discrete 8 gets you sub-millisecond round-trip latency (0.995ms). The other Antelope Audio Thunderbolt interfaces will show slightly different, but similar and still very low RTL latency numbers (withing ~20 samples), because of the different AD/DA chips used.

The driver is still in active development and a new Beta version will be released later this quarter to support multiple ASIO clients working simultaneously and AFX2DAW. Further release will add native Windows Audio support. Stay tuned!

We've updated the Thunderbolt driver page to include more answers to FAQs, recommended cables and adapters, and a list of known good configuration.

Antelope Audio Windows Thunderbolt™ Driver | Antelope Audio

Special thanks to our Beta users who helped us develop and deliver the driver!

Best regards,
Svetoslav Enchev
Cheers!
Old 13th January 2019
  #713
Lives for gear
 

for only $299
Old 15th January 2019
  #714
Quote:
Originally Posted by trevon View Post
for only $299
No...

Antelope Audio Windows Thunderbolt™ Driver | Antelope Audio
Old 15th January 2019
  #715
Lives for gear
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Antelope Audio View Post
After a long development process, we are very proud to announce that Antelope Audio's Thunderbolt Windows Driver is out of beta and available as an officially supported release. Happy recording!
Cheers!
It is confidence building to see some motion in progress. I hope to see progress in AFX2DAW stability and Antelopeaudioserver stability/CPU drain/always on.

My latest debacle with Antelopeaudioserver happened Friday, there was a moment of shaking internet connection which is normal in the evening. I don't know that this was the cause but it was the only event that may have triggered what happened. Suddenly audio cut out and "Golden Boot Loader" appeared on the D4 hardware. I power cycled both my computer and D4. Still had the same message. I fixed it by launching Antelope Launcher and updating the firmware, which is strange because I had the latest firmware installed.

Control Panel is also not very stable, last night I was using D4 + Control Panel as my AI in my DAW. When I was finished I wanted to put on some Spotify through my monitors as I picked up around the studio, when I switched my audio interface in OSX system preferences Control Panel froze on me and I had to restart my system.

I love the sound of my D4, but I have little confidence in its robustness or longevity at the moment. I want to upgrade software and invest into Antelope microphones but these stability issues are too extreme and too frequent for that to be a smart investment right now. Please fix Antelopeaudioserver, Control Panel and AFX2DAW stability.

If you fix these issues I would assume people would eat up all of your hardware faster than you can stock them.
Old 15th February 2019
  #716
If anyone interested, Discrete 4 works on PC Thunderbolt using Gigabyte Alpine Ridge addin card on Gigabyte Gaming 7 motherboard through Apple Thund3 to Thund2 adapter flawlessly.
Old 24th February 2019
  #717
Gear Nut
 

Its been 1 year and 3 months since Discrete 4 was released, and marketed with AFX2DAW for PC.

And there's still no AFX2DAW for pc.
Old 26th February 2019
  #718
Gear Nut
 

Big difference though -- one is just an effect add-on of an existing unit, the other is a core feature promoted to sell the unit.

Discrete units AFX2DAW is part of their original marketing in their effort to compete with UAD, and promised for both Apple and Windows base. Apple now has it, Windows does not.
Old 27th February 2019
  #719
Lives for gear
 

I wish they would complete the current line of product to 100% before releasing another!!!

Come on, finish the D4 on stability and market promises already. I'm tired of dropouts, Control panel connection failures and antelopeaudioserver never shutting off. I also feel for the PC peeps.

I am also hesitant to upgrade or further invest in the ecosystem because they don't seem to be doing too great as a company. Sweetwater dropping them was a BAD sign.
Old 6th March 2019
  #720
Gear Maniac
 
Antelope Audio's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by Piavoice View Post
Its been 1 year and 3 months since Discrete 4 was released, and marketed with AFX2DAW for PC.

And there's still no AFX2DAW for pc.
Dear Piavoice,

In order to deliver a stable product, we had to delay the release of AFX2DAW on the PC.

AFX2DAW requires Thunderbolt driver support. The Windows Thunderbolt driver that supports AFX2DAW is scheduled for release by the end of March, and AFX2DAW will come shortly after.

It's the driver development that takes longer than expected. Developing Windows drivers is a complex task, as unlike the Mac, there are countless hardware and software configurations that need to be supported. We had a prototype working a couple of months ago, but we want to deliver a well-tested, rock solid driver, and that's why we delayed the release.

In software development, and engineering as a whole, there are these "unknown unknowns" - issues that you can anticipate, but cannot really plan for. We're doing our best to change our development processes so that we minimize such unexpected issues, and we can deliver in a timely matter. This is an ongoing process of improvement, and we hope that our end-users will soon start to see the results.

We understand that you might be feeling mislead, and we apologise for not meeting your expectations. But we hope you understand our side as well - we're working hard and doing our best to deliver the promised features.
Topic:
Post Reply

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.


 
 
Slide to join now Processing…
Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Forum Jump
Forum Jump