The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Antelope Audio announces DISCRETE 8 interface and accompanying modelling mics
Old 14th January 2019
Lives for gear

How does the mic modeling aspect work. Is there an actual interaction with the mic or is it simply a mic with an extremely flat response?
Old 17th January 2019
Here for the gear

Hey Antelope,
if wanted to buy the Discrete 8...can I register more than just one Mac with it incl. all the Plugins?
If yes, this would be a killer feature. I‘m considering the Slate VRS8 but I‘m sharing a laptop based studio with a partner and having the option to register two systems to one interface would be amazing. Thank you!

BTW. on Thomann-DE the update to Premium is 499€...haven‘t seen the 900€ that were floating around in this thread.
Old 17th January 2019
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by smoovemode View Post
How does the mic modeling aspect work. Is there an actual interaction with the mic or is it simply a mic with an extremely flat response?
Hello smoovemode,

Our modeling system is developed through exacting analysis of the original models and measured in an anechoic chamber.

Cheers!
Old 19th January 2019
Lives for gear

I'm having issues getting the Thunderbolt driver to work on my windows 10 laptop. I installed the thunderbolt driver, the box popped up and thunderbolt was detected. I couldn't get the control panel working so I then connected the USB. It worked fine. The status of my situation is the discreet 8 is not being detected when connected via thunderbolt. Is there some sort of switch or something? I couldn't find any videos that worked through connectivity. Maybe someone can help.

(Update) After restarting the Discreet 8 driver was able to detect the TB3 port. The new is is the Dicreet 8 instance shows up and then disappears.
Old 21st January 2019
Gear Maniac
Quote:
Originally Posted by smoovemode View Post
I'm having issues getting the Thunderbolt driver to work on my windows 10 laptop. I installed the thunderbolt driver, the box popped up and thunderbolt was detected. I couldn't get the control panel working so I then connected the USB. It worked fine. The status of my situation is the discreet 8 is not being detected when connected via thunderbolt. Is there some sort of switch or something? I couldn't find any videos that worked through connectivity. Maybe someone can help.

(Update) After restarting the Discreet 8 driver was able to detect the TB3 port. The new is is the Dicreet 8 instance shows up and then disappears.
Hello smoovemode,

My advice is to check our FAQ section for Windows thunderbolt.
If you still experience issues with your device, please contact our support.

Best Regards,
Alex
Old 24th March 2019
Here for the gear

Hello !
In my AAX plug verge emulation, I don’t have all the mics models I can find in the discrete control panel. ? Am I the only one in this case ?

Thank you !
Old 25th March 2019
Lives for gear

Has anyone been able to monitor inputs through the spdif output? I get sound through the analog outputs and headphones only. I have it set to computer play and the DAW outputs from the spdif but none of the inputs will. They do output through the analog outs and headphone.

My first attempt at support is bad. I cannot sign in because it says incorrect credentials even though I have reset the password 3 times. I called the support number and left a message. The last time I did this I did not ever receive a call back.
Old 25th March 2019
Lives for gear

Support was very responsive about the sign in and my question. Unfortunately they didn’t have an answer about monitoring the inputs to the spdif output. I dont think it is possible. I have the Genelec SAM system and would prefer not to convert the sound twice.
Old 22nd April 2019
Gear Head

Hi!
@ autumnd - If you are still having issues setting up the control panel and the plugins, please get in touch with our technical support.
@ pw2005 - I don't precisely understand what you are trying to achieve, but I would be more than glad to help you and answer your questions - please send me a private message.
Old 2nd May 2019
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam Antelope Audio View Post
Hi!
@ autumnd - If you are still having issues setting up the control panel and the plugins, please get in touch with our technical support.
No it's ok, with the last update of the plugin, I have all the verge simulations in my PT.

6 months with my Discrete 4, as a portable rig, and absolutely no complains (except maybe the control panel application !..).

2 or 3 times in contact with tech support, it was ok.

Sounds ok, stable; didn't really used the afx for now.

And the Edge Duo is great !
Old 4 weeks ago
Gear Addict

Hello Antelope, I've been eyeballing the discrete 8 for quite some time now and finally will pull the trigger. You have this action in May which includes the Premium FX and AFX2DAW for every purchased unit. I'll get a retour item which has a discounted price. Will i still get the deal, and how do i redeem it?
Thanks in advance and I'm really looking forward to test the interface!
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

I wanted to chime in for a couple of reasons: 1 being the obvious, about the Discrete 8; I purchased 1 & got it on this past Tuesday; I'm coming from a BLA SIG modded DIGI002r along with a LYNX Aurora 8; I was basically tired of the Firewire more so than anything, & about a year ago, I bought a PURE2 which I immediately fell in love with!

Anyways, I figured I'd get the 8, hook it up to my USB passive Extenders I have already, take the ADAT side from the 002 & be good to go! Notta!!! Hahaha

So, the drivers connected OK, but no matter what buffer size I set, all I got was snap-crackle-& pop!!! & this was with Pro Tools, Ableton, &/or even when I played MP3 files or Youtube, iTunes etc.

I fiddled all day Tuesday, on the phone with Alex, & Andrew & another, which really tried helping me, but nothing would work; now, mind you, I'm on Windows, but the bigger issue is that, my computer is 25+ feet away from my Racks; after they ran teamviewer to look through basically the same things I had, we determined that the USB was the problem, being the length, although I had an active cable; I tried all types of things all day Wed. to no avail; I have a MacBook Pro, so I tried it on there, & all work being I was using the USB Cable it had come with, so length wasn't in play. So Wed. night, I decided to order this 4 port USB Extender Over Cat7 & voila!!!

64 Buffer size, Low Latency, hearing Sweet Sounds!!! (& as I fixed this issue, it reminded me that I had been getting small pops on my PURE2 all the same when listening/playing Music, but all was fixed with the extender. 33ft CAT7)

Also, trying to use the DIGI002r didn't work because it wouldn't switch Sample rates, so I just grabbed an ADA8200 just so I can have all the Channels...

I figured I'd share all of this in case someone else happens to run into this as well...
Old 3 weeks ago
Gear Head

@ ooohhh2 Hi! You should check the participating dealers for the promotion here - https://en.antelopeaudio.com/campaign/discrete/ This offer is only valid for brand new devices from the dealers, so if you are looking at a demo/b-stock device - you wouldn't get the Premium package. If you have any questions - feel free to message me here.
@ KEYBEEETSSS Thank you very much for sharing, this input is greatly appreciated. We will get one of those and do further testing with it. If anything comes up - message me directly or get in touch with our support team again.
Old 3 weeks ago
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam Antelope Audio View Post
@ ooohhh2 Hi! You should check the participating dealers for the promotion here - https://en.antelopeaudio.com/campaign/discrete/ This offer is only valid for brand new devices from the dealers, so if you are looking at a demo/b-stock device - you wouldn't get the Premium package. If you have any questions - feel free to message me here.
i did sent you a message but haven't got an answer. I also submitted a ticket. Ticket number (#18467). The support team only answers with 'Please contact your dealer'. I tried to contact the support line in England but still didn't reach anybody after third attempt.

While the dealer (Musicstore) says on the phone that i am definitely eligible to get the Premium AFX Upgrade and the AFX2DAW because my unit is brand new. And that Antelope is the ones who have to give me the activation code. He said also that they already had few cases where Antelope sends the customers to the dealer where it's clearly Antelope's job to do. Please check my ticket. I bought the unit because of the deal with the upgrade, so i just want to get my right.
Old 3 weeks ago
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by ooohhh2 View Post
i did sent you a message but haven't got an answer. I also submitted a ticket. Ticket number (#18467). The support team only answers with 'Please contact your dealer'. I tried to contact the support line in England but still didn't reach anybody after third attempt.

While the dealer (Musicstore) says on the phone that i am definitely eligible to get the Premium AFX Upgrade and the AFX2DAW because my unit is brand new. And that Antelope is the ones who have to give me the activation code. He said also that they already had few cases where Antelope sends the customers to the dealer where it's clearly Antelope's job to do. Please check my ticket. I bought the unit because of the deal with the upgrade, so i just want to get my right.
Hi!

I am very sorry for the delay on my side, I sent you a message - please check it out and if you have any questions for the activation - please message me.
Old 3 weeks ago
Lives for gear

I hate to be the person online moaning buuuuttt

Just finished online chat with Antelope support. The support was excellent but it's proven my unit has a hardware fault with the reamps. This is the 2nd unit I've had, first one the thunderbolt port died and had to be replaced. Both had hardware faults in less than a year. Im really really pissed.

The unit sounds amazing has everything i need but 2 different hardware faults is really bad.

Waiting to see what the repair team have to say as i cannot afford to go another 3 weeks without a unit and actually have no faith in the unit now.
Old 3 weeks ago
Gear Addict

Thank you @ Sam . I just got the Premium code. Everything works great!
The support seemed to react bit slow at first, but after Sam sent me the premium code here, and i just got a call back from California, because they saw my missed called in England, i would say it's top notch. In this days where everyone can go via FB, Insta, Gearslutz threads, PMs, Support Chat, mail, and phone call all at the same time support must be a gigantic task to do.

I was following this thread for the last 1,5 years since the product was announced waiting to upgrade my studio in the right time. I ran a RME HDSP 9652 later upgraded my pc to newest i9 9900k and Gigabyte Designare Mobo with native Thunderbolt 3 plus RME HDSPE Raydat as main interface. I also have Audient ASP 880, 800, and Steinberg UR824 as my converters.
I thought to upgrade it with either Slate VRS, UAD x8p, RME UFX+ or the Discrete 8. As i saw the deal with the premium and the posts about Thunderbolt driver for windows as well as the AFX2DAW for windows which should be released soon, i knew the Discrete 8 is the best package of those three.
The Slate VRS is great, but it lacks ADAT which is a no go IMO. You can't even daisy chain another one with Windows. So you'd be stuck with one of them.
The UAD x8p is great as well, but the prices of the plugins is a big no factor.
Both of those run Thunderbolt only. Whereas the Discrete 8 has both Thunderbolt and USB. And it has class compliance which means i could even use it as an interface with my ipad (which i already done with the UR824).

So i thought let's risk it, i pulled the trigger and received the unit 3 days ago. The activation (which some people complained about, also some reviewers), was done in 5 minutes. It was a bit unusual with the launcher, yes. I was also raising my eyebrows when the launcher asked me where i bought it and what price. That was a bit weird. I can imagine that was one of the reasons why people talked bad about the activation. Smells like control.
I was also concerned if my unit will still work if i disconnect it from the pc and internet. Couldn't find about the standalone mode anywhere. Yes it does work in standalone! (i read here somewhere it was not the case at the beginning, and they improved it). Even the AFXs and Auraverb are still activated. It retains the last settings you've made. Probably one of my favorite 'feature'. So i could leave my plugged SM7B there, and could just start right away to play a keyboard and sing or whatever, monitors it all via headphone with zero latency, without turning the PC on. Awesome. Oh, the sound of the preamps, headphone amps, AFXs, and the converters are all great! I'm still testing though.

I was also reading alot of complains about the complicated control panel. I thought the routing is as easy at it gets. The Totalmix from RME is not easier to understand. The Thunderbot driver in Win10 works great btw. (F apple though for wanting 110+ € for the thunderbolt cable and th3 to th2 adapter - one of the reasons why i don't want to bow down to their ecosystem - but that's not the topic here). Installation was easy. I could get to 32 samples or lower, with latency in under 1 ms at 48khz in Studio One. It's even better then the RME Raydat, which begins to cracks at 64 samples when i play the CFX Grand VSTi. I didn't expect that to be honest. I'm impressed. I was actually thinking to use my RME as main interface and just use the Discrete 8 as another ADAT expansion. Now i'm thinking of making it to the main center. I just really hope it all will work after years to come. I'm keeping my RME cards as failsafe. The thing with RME is, even my HDSP 9652 which must be around 10 years old still gets updates! Talking about reputation. Something Antelope can definitely learn from.

Why am i writing this? If i read through all the threads i found about Discrete 8 and Antelope in general there's this bitter taste that the hardware are great (except some defected units here and there, which you'll find with almost every company), but the support and software are inferior. After my test these few 3 days and experience with the activations and support, i think i've got a wrong picture before. Maybe i'm lucky? I don't know. The Discrete 8 - provided that the hardware doesn't fail in the next few years, and they hopefully won't turn it to legacy product too soon - my biggest concern btw - is IMO the best deal in the interface world now. I hope the AFX2DAW for windows is also coming soon.
Old 6 days ago
Here for the gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by ooohhh2 View Post
Thank you @ Sam . I just got the Premium code. Everything works great!
The support seemed to react bit slow at first, but after Sam sent me the premium code here, and i just got a call back from California, because they saw my missed called in England, i would say it's top notch. In this days where everyone can go via FB, Insta, Gearslutz threads, PMs, Support Chat, mail, and phone call all at the same time support must be a gigantic task to do.

I was following this thread for the last 1,5 years since the product was announced waiting to upgrade my studio in the right time. I ran a RME HDSP 9652 later upgraded my pc to newest i9 9900k and Gigabyte Designare Mobo with native Thunderbolt 3 plus RME HDSPE Raydat as main interface. I also have Audient ASP 880, 800, and Steinberg UR824 as my converters.
I thought to upgrade it with either Slate VRS, UAD x8p, RME UFX+ or the Discrete 8. As i saw the deal with the premium and the posts about Thunderbolt driver for windows as well as the AFX2DAW for windows which should be released soon, i knew the Discrete 8 is the best package of those three.
The Slate VRS is great, but it lacks ADAT which is a no go IMO. You can't even daisy chain another one with Windows. So you'd be stuck with one of them.
The UAD x8p is great as well, but the prices of the plugins is a big no factor.
Both of those run Thunderbolt only. Whereas the Discrete 8 has both Thunderbolt and USB. And it has class compliance which means i could even use it as an interface with my ipad (which i already done with the UR824).

So i thought let's risk it, i pulled the trigger and received the unit 3 days ago. The activation (which some people complained about, also some reviewers), was done in 5 minutes. It was a bit unusual with the launcher, yes. I was also raising my eyebrows when the launcher asked me where i bought it and what price. That was a bit weird. I can imagine that was one of the reasons why people talked bad about the activation. Smells like control.
I was also concerned if my unit will still work if i disconnect it from the pc and internet. Couldn't find about the standalone mode anywhere. Yes it does work in standalone! (i read here somewhere it was not the case at the beginning, and they improved it). Even the AFXs and Auraverb are still activated. It retains the last settings you've made. Probably one of my favorite 'feature'. So i could leave my plugged SM7B there, and could just start right away to play a keyboard and sing or whatever, monitors it all via headphone with zero latency, without turning the PC on. Awesome. Oh, the sound of the preamps, headphone amps, AFXs, and the converters are all great! I'm still testing though.

I was also reading alot of complains about the complicated control panel. I thought the routing is as easy at it gets. The Totalmix from RME is not easier to understand. The Thunderbot driver in Win10 works great btw. (F apple though for wanting 110+ € for the thunderbolt cable and th3 to th2 adapter - one of the reasons why i don't want to bow down to their ecosystem - but that's not the topic here). Installation was easy. I could get to 32 samples or lower, with latency in under 1 ms at 48khz in Studio One. It's even better then the RME Raydat, which begins to cracks at 64 samples when i play the CFX Grand VSTi. I didn't expect that to be honest. I'm impressed. I was actually thinking to use my RME as main interface and just use the Discrete 8 as another ADAT expansion. Now i'm thinking of making it to the main center. I just really hope it all will work after years to come. I'm keeping my RME cards as failsafe. The thing with RME is, even my HDSP 9652 which must be around 10 years old still gets updates! Talking about reputation. Something Antelope can definitely learn from.

Why am i writing this? If i read through all the threads i found about Discrete 8 and Antelope in general there's this bitter taste that the hardware are great (except some defected units here and there, which you'll find with almost every company), but the support and software are inferior. After my test these few 3 days and experience with the activations and support, i think i've got a wrong picture before. Maybe i'm lucky? I don't know. The Discrete 8 - provided that the hardware doesn't fail in the next few years, and they hopefully won't turn it to legacy product too soon - my biggest concern btw - is IMO the best deal in the interface world now. I hope the AFX2DAW for windows is also coming soon.
Hi,

just wondering if you're still happy with the discrete8? Any issues? I'm considering upgrading to either the 4 or 8 but still worried about reliability...
Old 6 days ago
Gear Addict

I'm still very happy with my purchase so far. No glitches so far.
For now i use the RME Raydat as my main interface, and the Discrete as my main converter (i like the sound much better then my Steinberg U824). Although the Discrete beats the Raydat at lowest sample and latency, it only goes to 1024 samples, where the Raydat goes to 4096. I use lots of Acustica plugins for mixing and mastering. And those need high buffer. If Antelope brings out AFX2DAW for windows i might use my Discrete 8 as main interface again and probably ditch Acustica stuffs at least at mixing stage. We'll see..
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search