The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Antelope Audio announces DISCRETE 8 interface and accompanying modelling mics Audio Interfaces
Old 15th February 2018
Quote:
Originally Posted by Antelope Audio View Post
Great! We hope you enjoyed working with the D8?
I seldom get over excited about gear I buy. One recent one was a new DAW I discovered - Harrison MixBus 32C, and the other... Antelope Discrete 8.
OK, I have to concur that the software was a bit glitchy. Things don't work as I left it the day before...then I restart or turn off Discrete 8 then start again and things work. But antelope was doing a Firmware and Control Panel update like every two weeks - which helped a lot in stabilizing the system.
Support chat was always available and knowledgable.

I feel there is lots to discover with the Discrete 8. I just used it for recording, and re-amp and sync with a Lynx Hilo. My next step will be to utilize the FPGA-based FX and the reverb. Since I filled the survey and won a verge Mic, I guess I will be indulging in microphone modeling and saving for the Edge Mic.
Old 3rd March 2018
dix
Gear Head
At NAMM Antelope mentioned that the emulation plugins would eventually be available as a VST or AU rack (somewhat ala UA). Has that happened yet, or are the plug-ins only available to use with the CP?

I'm looking at either the Discrete 8 or MOTU's 828es, but both have a lot of functionality I don't need (The D8 all the emulation stuff, the 828es all control room monitoring capabilities). I really just need 8 channels of quality AD/DA for under $2k. I already have a good monitoring setup and analog input chain. However if the emulation plugins worked in DAW that might make it worthwhile.
Old 3rd March 2018
Lives for gear

So, I saw a recent "teaser" on Facebook showing 2 preamp plugins.

Some 1073 clone and a Telefunken V76 model.

Are they the only two or more are on the way ?
Old 3rd March 2018
dix
Gear Head
Quote:
Originally Posted by dix View Post
At NAMM Antelope mentioned that the emulation plugins would eventually be available as a VST or AU rack (somewhat ala UA). Has that happened yet, or are the plug-ins only available to use with the CP?

I'm looking at either the Discrete 8 or MOTU's 828es, but both have a lot of functionality I don't need (The D8 all the emulation stuff, the 828es all control room monitoring capabilities). I really just need 8 channels of quality AD/DA for under $2k. I already have a good monitoring setup and analog input chain. However if the emulation plugins worked in DAW that might make it worthwhile.
Answering my own post in case anyone else is wondering the same. I found a Youtube video where Antelope says "AFX to DAW" is in beta as of late January. Hopefully they'll announce it here when it's ready.

Antelope Audio AFX to DAW - NAMM 2018 video: YouTube
Old 3rd March 2018
I have a fairly nice Verge mic that I’d sure like to have emulations for.
Old 4th March 2018
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by climber View Post
I have a fairly nice Verge mic that I’d sure like to have emulations for.
Here are some dates I have regarding the modeling for other devices beyond Discrete 4/8.

Verge Native Plugin ETA is March 20.

Mic Modeling for Zen Tour and Orion Studio ETA is April 2.

Additional Edge Mic Models ETA is April 2.
Old 4th March 2018
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clybourne View Post
Mic Modeling for Zen Tour and Orion Studio ETA is April 2.
That’s good news. Even if those dates slide, at least they are on the schedule.

Thanks Marcel...
Old 5th March 2018
Gear Head

I really have no clue why there's not more hype going on about the FPGA plugins. I have all UAD Plugins and every noticeable VST Compressor and in my opinion nothing sounds as good as what I've heard on these two videos:

YouTube

YouTube

what do you guys think?
Old 5th March 2018
dix
Gear Head
Quote:
Originally Posted by toneage View Post
I really have no clue why there's not more hype going on about the FPGA plugins. I have all UAD Plugins and every noticeable VST Compressor and in my opinion nothing sounds as good as what I've heard on these two videos:

YouTube

YouTube

what do you guys think?
That BA-6A is darn impressive sounding.

I don't think you can you use the FPGA plugins in a workstation as an AU or a VST like you would use UA's, can you? It looks like you have route via an insert through the CP. Once Antelope's AFX to DAW is out a lot more people might get excited.
Old 8th March 2018
Lives for gear
Edge and Discrete demo at Anderton's Music

Here's a video we showed layering vocals using a different model on each take with some amazing results, based on a tip by Brian Vibberts. Enjoy!

Old 12th March 2018
Lives for gear

So now that the Edge Strip is released, and it includes Native versions of the mic plugins, the obvious question is: will the Discrete 8 and 4 also include Native versions? This is the next big step for Antelope, IMO.
Old 12th March 2018
Gear Addict
Quote:
Originally Posted by theothermarkwilliams View Post
So now that the Edge Strip is released, and it includes Native versions of the mic plugins, the obvious question is: will the Discrete 8 and 4 also include Native versions? This is the next big step for Antelope, IMO.
+1 would much rather have the plugins native for mixing and not be tied to 16 afx channels.
Old 12th March 2018
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by rick2630 View Post
+1 would much rather have the plugins native for mixing and not be tied to 16 afx channels.
It's only a minor inconvenience
Old 12th March 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gutz View Post
It's only a minor inconvenience
Not if you have a computer without Thunderbolt.
Old 12th March 2018
Lives for gear
Quote:
Here's a video we showed layering vocals using a different model on each take with some amazing results, based on a tip by Brian Vibberts. Enjoy!

And also stating negative remarks about the competition including one of them that has the biggest selling microphone emulation system to date.
Old 12th March 2018
JGM
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Oracle View Post
And also stating negative remarks about the competition including one of them that has the biggest selling microphone emulation system to date.
Hmmm!
Old 14th March 2018
Gear Nut

Quote:
Yeah, not impressed by that. Stating that tracking through the VMS emulations causes latency and comb filtering...
The former being dictated by sample buffer as the VMR plugins are virtually latency free, and the latter being dictated by whether you neglect to disable/mute direct monitoring before you enable track monitoring in your DAW.

Misleading and unnecessary marketing tactics.
Old 14th March 2018
JGM
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by soapmak3r View Post
Yeah, not impressed by that. Stating that tracking through the VMS emulations causes latency and comb filtering...
The former being dictated by sample buffer as the VMR plugins are virtually latency free, and the latter being dictated by whether you neglect to disable/mute direct monitoring before you enable track monitoring in your DAW.

Misleading and unnecessary marketing tactics.
Antelope ALWAYS seem to do that. Big turn off!!!
Old 14th March 2018
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by JGM View Post
Antelope ALWAYS seem to do that. Big turn off!!!
I agree, I don't think that they understand that the "competitor" they are trying to degrade is a guy who's been with us for, like 20 years in my case, see him as a friend as well as a retailer, just about everybody that Antelope would like to attract as customers is going to have the same position. They should back off the petty ass nibbling and allow the products to stand on their own. It's not like there aren't plenty of issues they could be railed for themselves.
I'm an Antelope customer and I find this behavior kind of disturbing.. and weird
Old 14th March 2018
JGM
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gutz View Post
I agree, I don't think that they understand that the "competitor" they are trying to degrade is a guy who's been with us for, like 20 years in my case, see him as a friend as well as a retailer, just about everybody that Antelope would like to attract as customers is going to have the same position. They should back off the petty ass nibbling and allow the products to stand on their own. It's not like there aren't plenty of issues they could be railed for themselves.
I'm an Antelope customer and I find this behavior kind of disturbing.. and weird
+1
Old 14th March 2018
Lives for gear
Quote:
This is really an exaggeration. The Anderton's guy asked me about the other systems. Of course I'm going to point out a couple differences. I mentioned one has a single capsule and runs on a plugin in the DAW. Both true comments. I don't see how these are "negative remarks", it's just the truth. It's my responsibility to point out differences, as other brands do with us often, as well.
Old 14th March 2018
Lives for gear
Quote:
This is really an exaggeration. The Anderton's guy asked me about the other systems. Of course I'm going to point out a couple differences. I mentioned one has a single capsule and runs on a plugin in the DAW. Both true comments. I don't see how these are "negative remarks", it's just the truth. It's my responsibility to point out differences, as other brands do with us often, as well.
Ha ha! Ok if you think that you wasn't being negative towards the Slate VMS system then I'm sure there will be many that disagree as you can see from the comments above. I have also discussed with other audio people and they come to the same conclusion. You were clearly happy when the question was asked so you could point out what you think are flaws. But hey, if that's how you like to market your products then good luck to you.

The rest of your video was very good.
Old 14th March 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Can you expand on the difference of having an edge terminated capsule? That part was interesting to me to see the differences in the actual hardware.
Old 14th March 2018
Lives for gear
Quote:
Ha ha! Ok if you think that you wasn't being negative towards the Slate VMS system then I'm sure there will be many that disagree as you can see from the comments above. I have also discussed with other audio people and they come to the same conclusion. You were clearly happy when the question was asked so you could point out what you think are flaws. But hey, if that's how you like to market your products then good luck to you.

The rest of your video was very good.
People ask us all the time how all of our products compare to various competitors. I don't see how an honest answer can be construed as "negative". Slate has a single capsule microphone and he's done exceptionally well with it, I doubt he minds one bit that we're explaining we have a two capsule product. He has his product, we have ours. Nobody should be offended by product differences. So, no I really don't see this as negative whatsoever and I don't see how anyone possibly could.

And now I'm guilty of happily answering a question? Ok...

Marcel
Old 14th March 2018
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by pw2005 View Post
Can you expand on the difference of having an edge terminated capsule? That part was interesting to me to see the differences in the actual hardware.
Sure, as I mentioned we went with an edge terminated capsule for both front and back. There are technical advantages to each approach. In our case, we were going for the style of the classic CK12 capsule from the C12 and ELA-M 251, which was edge termination. One distinct advantage of edge termination is very smooth off-axis response. We feel this design benefits us when doing multi-positional modeling of other classic microphones.
Old 14th March 2018
JGM
Lives for gear

Quote:
I’ve observed you (Antelope) using these same tactics being discussed on multiple occasions. Your timing, your delivery, the words you choose. It all speaks to elevating yourself/brand at the expense of others. Everyone is not able to pick up on it, but some do, and it turns some people off.
You also discredited Townsend Lab’s Sphere L22 mic system which I found disingenuous since your entire system is based off of their concept!!! Right down to the very look of your mic modeling plugin, beside color and other slight variations. I see it!
I personally do not like people (and maybe in this case companies) that feel the best way to go about proving their value is by disparaging others. It shows a sign of weakness, or at some level a lack of confidence in themselves/product.
I watched that video, and though I can’t prove it, the question seemed scripted to allow you the opportunity to to make your remarks about the competition.
This is not a personal attack but merely an observation. Of course you have the right to make a comparison between your product and the competition, but there’s a way it can be done without appearing petty. Antelope seem to have some decent gear (I own 1 of your interfaces), why not let the products speak for themselves against the competition, and not resort to negative rhetoric.

Hopefully at some point a totally unbiased party will shootout these 3 systems against each other so the general public can get a fair assessment of them.
Best of luck with these new products.
Old 14th March 2018
Lives for gear
I watched the video and am sensitive to people trashing the competition. I don't see it, he simply stated the differences. Slate or Townsend will also tell you how their product differs. No wild eyed claims either. One is a single diaphram and one is center terminated. Big whoop! Hardly news if you are shopping and something that is different. I don't get the objection......
Old 14th March 2018
Lives for gear
Quote:
People ask us all the time how all of our products compare to various competitors. I don't see how an honest answer can be construed as "negative". Slate has a single capsule microphone and he's done exceptionally well with it, I doubt he minds one bit that we're explaining we have a two capsule product. He has his product, we have ours. Nobody should be offended by product differences. So, no I really don't see this as negative whatsoever and I don't see how anyone possibly could.

And now I'm guilty of happily answering a question? Ok...

Marcel
Ok let’s start with your words ‘getting some play out there’. Sorry but some play? It’s no secret that VMS is the biggest selling microphone emulation system to date and was also first to market. Yet you made it sound like VMS was none of that.

Comb filtering? I don’t hear any comb filtering going on and that goes for a lot of VMS users. In fact, I haven’t read or heard a single report about it. So why make that claim?

You then alluded to system resources and implying that VMS could cause issues.

You could have taken a more professional approach by just explaining how your mic system is different and state it’s features and benefits. But you spoke more about the competitor products just to get your points across.

Your approach to the question was ‘theirs can’t do this’ as opposed to ‘ours can do this’. This is why I consider your remarks to be negative.

Don’t get me wrong. The Antelope product looks great and sounded great too. The company isn’t the issue.

Last edited by The Oracle; 15th March 2018 at 12:20 AM.. Reason: Grammar
Old 15th March 2018
Lives for gear
New Preamp Modeling

Preamp Modeling. Available now for the Edge Strip Bundle and coming soon to Antelope Audio interface near you!

Old 15th March 2018
Here for the gear

Long time lurker first time poster.

I've gone through this thread a couple of times and have some questions about the Discrete 8/4 if someone wants to help me out. I mostly use my audio interface for VO work, so I don't need many inputs, however I do some home studio/music work as well. Never more than 4 inputs. I'm in the market for a new audio interface and a few months ago replaced an aging mbox interface (which worked very well thank you enough) for a Scarlet 2/4, essentially so I could update to protools 12. To make a long story short, I am not happy with the Scarlet.

So I'm i the market for a new interface, and am leaning in the direction of the Antelope 4 or 8. My main considerations are that I need an interface that has great a/d converters. My questions are:

- From what I can gather the "basic" difference between the Antelope Discrete 8 and 4 (besides inputs) is that the 4 does not have a dsp for the on-board plug-ins, is this correct?

- If the above is true, the 8 (even thought I don't need all the inputs, but may someday) the extra 400 clams for the 8 seems like a deal breaker for it over the Discrete 4.

- The "basic model" will not offer the AFX2DAW Plugin, for that it needs to be the higher priced model, correct?

- Currently using an ISA 1 preamp with a Neumann TLM 104, in anyone's humble opinion, are the preamps on he Discrete "better' or equal to the ISA 1?

- Any thoughts on the mic modeling? The Mic Modeling preamps will only work with the Antelope mike correct? With the Edge/Mic modeling preamps could I realistically 'dump' the TLM and go with the Antelope mic and modeling? I mean, does it really 'sound' like a U87? (heh)

That's all I can think of for now, but thanks in advance to all and any replies.
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search