The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Dynaudio announces two new subwoofers
Old 19th September 2017
Dynaudio announces two new subwoofers

Dynaudio announces two new subwoofers-18s-halfprofile-black.jpg

Dynaudio announces two new subwoofers:

Quote:
We are super-excited to announce our first new subwoofers in a decade. And this is not just a make-over. 9S is as compact as the BM 9S II it replaces, but its performance is more comparable to the BM 14S II.

18S builds on a dual-opposing design principle, using two MSP + Hybrid Drive woofers and features built-in DSP processing with presets for our studio monitors. Finally, both of these new subs have long-throw drivers to ensure a massive yet tight and super-accurate low-end frequency reproduction.

Expand your setup with 9S or 18S and upgrade to a full-blown 3-way or 4-way monitoring system that simply performs and adds a deep dimension to your mixing and mastering experience.
Links:

9S: https://www.dynaudio.com/professiona...subwoofers/9s/

18S: https://www.dynaudio.com/professiona...subwoofers/18s

Attached Thumbnails
Dynaudio announces two new subwoofers-18s-halfprofile-black.jpg  
Old 20th September 2017
Pricing?

It seems that the dimensions of the 18s are off in that the width appears to be the depth.

Does the 18s have a bypass foot switch jack that can bypass the sub AND the HP filter to the satelight speakers?

Thanks.
Old 21st September 2017
Gear Addict

A bypass footswitch would be very helpfull

I have the 14's and no bypass is an inconvenience for sure,
Old 9th January 2018
I've got the 18s on my short list. My question is:

Will the signal from my Crane Song Solaris go through an ADC stage? Are the delay and crossover features a form of DSP? Will this degrade the Solaris signal in anyway, perhaps by adding jitter? Or will the analog signal be maintained 1:1 on the way to my monitors?

I guess another option would be to use the 2nd fixed output, set the sub at a static reference level (75-80db?) and only turn it on when I listen to my main monitors at reference level. Guess a foot switch would help. The sub does have a trigger input, so maybe that's the answer?

Dynaudio announces two new subwoofers-trig.png

I better SUBscribe to this thread. GET IT?!?!? GET IT?!?! Here all day folks!
Attached Thumbnails
Dynaudio announces two new subwoofers-trig.png  
Old 28th April 2019
Quote:
Originally Posted by satisfaction2009 View Post

I guess another option would be to use the 2nd fixed output, set the sub at a static reference level (75-80db?) and only turn it on when I listen to my main monitors at reference level. Guess a foot switch would help. The sub does have a trigger input, so maybe that's the answer?

I'm afraid that trigger input is not a sub bypass switch. This is from the manual:

6. Trigger input. The trigger input
enables wired remote control of
subwoofer standby and operational
modes in automated systems. Your
Dynaudio retailer or installer will be
able to provide more information
on the use of the 18S in automation
systems.

So maybe there is some sort of add on? But its not a simple bypass. Pity.
Old 21st October 2019
Here for the gear
I just tried for the first time the new Dynaudio 18S with my Dynaudio M1's. I connected 18S from the Crane Song Avocet IIA's Accessory (Direct Sub). It definitely sounds good, but with M1's it lacks a bit SPL (IMO). Previously, I've connected M1's trough cheap Samson 10' sub, using Dynaudio T1000 amp to drive the whole chain. When comparing those two setups, Samson had more kick in louder levels. Maybe trying to adjust the 18S location more properly and add more traps. Don't know is it gonna do the trick. I'm used to mix quite loudly, so the sub must have enough headroom, as my monitors have.
Old 22nd October 2019
So I have been using the 18S for a few months now (with the LYD48) in a 6m x 5m x 2.8m single room facility.

I did some room sweeps and added 3 eq corrections. After about a week I also turned the sub volume down 2 db as I was mixing a little light on the low end.

Very happy and I am getting great translation.

A mastering engineer on a recent project confirmed no low end problems to fix.
Old 22nd October 2019
Here for the gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by javamad View Post
So I have been using the 18S for a few months now (with the LYD48) in a 6m x 5m x 2.8m single room facility.

I did some room sweeps and added 3 eq corrections. After about a week I also turned the sub volume down 2 db as I was mixing a little light on the low end.

Very happy and I am getting great translation.

A mastering engineer on a recent project confirmed no low end problems to fix.
Also did some adjustments in DSP and now 18S is just perfect. Can't forget about elements settlement time (maybe couple hours).
It's completely different now. Highly recommended sub!
Old 4 weeks ago
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by propete View Post
I just tried for the first time the new Dynaudio 18S with my Dynaudio M1's. I connected 18S from the Crane Song Avocet IIA's Accessory (Direct Sub).
Since the 18s is a subwoofer with built in DSP there is a small amount of latency to it. (you can avoid that by connecting the speakers to the subwoofer instead of directly to the Crane Song)
I'm thinking about buying this sub but the latency is my main concern, because i will be using it the same way you did, subwoofer output of my monitor controller to the 18s and speaker output the my monitors.
Do you feel any lagging / slow response / hazy bass? the best way to tell would be to compare it to the 0 latency option which is: subwoofer L/R Out to the speakers and Crane Song monitor out to the 18s inputs.
Old 4 weeks ago
Quote:
Originally Posted by Insider25 View Post
Since the 18s is a subwoofer with built in DSP there is a small amount of latency to it. (you can avoid that by connecting the speakers to the subwoofer instead of directly to the Crane Song)
I'm thinking about buying this sub but the latency is my main concern, because i will be using it the same way you did, subwoofer output of my monitor controller to the 18s and speaker output the my monitors.
Do you feel any lagging / slow response / hazy bass? the best way to tell would be to compare it to the 0 latency option which is: subwoofer L/R Out to the speakers and Crane Song monitor out to the 18s inputs.
I have the output of my summing rig to the sub and the monitors fed from the sub. That means you get to take advantage of the sub18S on board EQ and its dsp phase adjustments when you tell it the distances from listener to sub and listener to monitors.

Two big advantages I think.
Old 4 weeks ago
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by javamad View Post
I have the output of my summing rig to the sub and the monitors fed from the sub. That means you get to take advantage of the sub18S on board EQ and its dsp phase adjustments when you tell it the distances from listener to sub and listener to monitors.

Two big advantages I think.
Yes, so it means that if you're connecting the sub to a dedicated subwoofer output like the Crane Song you don't get a perfect phase response..
I don't know how noticeable the latency of the sub is in real listening condition but there is a 1-2 ms or even more latency to it.
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search