The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Unfiltered Audio releases SpecOps spectral effects plugin with Plugin Alliance DAW Software
Old 19th September 2017
Unfiltered Audio releases SpecOps spectral effects plugin with Plugin Alliance

SpecOps is dozens of plugins in one. Inside its easy-to-use interface is a jam-packed armory containing 36 diverse and flexible spectral effects, ranging from subtle to extreme. How you use these potent tools is truly limited only by your creative imagination: transform synthesizer presets with new sonic qualities, add throbbing grunge to drum loops, fatten up instrument tracks, delicately clarify full mixes, or decimate organic instruments and vocals beyond recognition to create one-of-a-kind special effects.

The magic all starts with SpecOps’ powerful analysis engine, which instantly splits your audio into thousands of tiny frequency slices, or “bins,” for real-time processing. You can apply pitch and frequency shifting or a Freeze effect to all bins, but that’s just the start. In a snap, you can add up to three unique spectral effects from dropdown menus for simultaneous use - with each processor applied to a different frequency band! Then compress or expand thousands of frequency bins independently and at once using the Spectral Compander’s simple controls, producing wide-ranging effects from subtle dynamics control to outrageous pumping and distortion. SpecOps’ flagship patchable modulation system lets you apply up to six built-in modulators - including a powerful 16-step sequencer, input follower, sample and hold noise, macro control and four different LFOs - simultaneously to any and all control knobs and sliders. It even includes support for the ROLI Lightpad, allowing tactile control over three dimensions of parameter movements for on-the-fly production effects and live performance.

The applications are truly limitless and stretch from moderate processing for music production to severe mangling for sound design. SpecOps is your interstellar transporter to new worlds in electronic and experimental music: Tired, static synth pads come alive when you modulate the levels, filtering, pitch, noise or distortion in different frequency bins, creating ever-shifting timbral patterns your preset libraries could only dream of. Don’t own a synth? Freeze audio on an acoustic instrument track and apply pitch shift to create a spectral synthesizer. Experimental music producers and sound designers can use SpecOps’ train-wrecking effects to brutally transform a hi hat track into bursts of alien static or make pristine vocal tracks sound like R2D2 with a sore throat. SpecOps is also an industrial music producer’s destructive weapon: Modulate a frequency-dependent clipper on an electric bass guitar’s track to add nasty bottom-end distortion that pulsates perfectly in time with your music’s tempo.

But for all its brute strength, SpecOps can also be polite - and a problem solver.
Warm up brittle electric guitar tracks by using the envelope follower to modulate SpecOps’ Reverse algorithm. On a full mix, SpecOps can automatically find and attenuate the weakest bass frequencies, clarifying and bringing focus to the bottom end. You can add more power and punch to your mixes while automatically taming unbalanced frequency peaks by using SpecOp’s Spectral Compander to independently compress thousands of frequency bins at once. Or use the spectral Low Pass and noise filters along with pitch modulation to temporarily create thin, flanged breakdowns on full mixes to startling effect.

Yeah, it does all that. SpecOps is a springboard for your imagination!

FEATURES

Powerful, multi-faceted processing has wide-ranging uses in music production, sound design and live performance
36 spectral effects can be applied - three at a time - to different frequency ranges with extremely high resolution
Spectral effects include filters, amplitude manipulators, pitch and frequency shifters, audio freezers, data compressors, glitchy processors and a clipper - each of which can act on a different, independently adjustable frequency band
Additional wideband processors - two pitch shifters, a frequency shifter and Freeze effect - optionally process input signal before spectral effects are applied
Spectral Compander can gently or severely compress or expand dynamics for all other effects—both spectral and wideband—independently in thousands of frequency slices at once
Analog-style, two-pole Low Pass filter softens high frequencies in plugin’s summed wet output signal
Continuously variable Mix control blends wet and dry signals, allowing light application of outrageous effects
Unfiltered Audio’s flagship freely assignable modulation system includes seven built-in modulators - a powerful 16-step sequencer, input follower, sample and hold noise, macro control and four different LFOs - all of which can be routed simultaneously to any and all control knobs and sliders
Included external patch allows connection to a ROLI BLOCKS Lightpad, which provides tactile control over SpecOps’ control knobs and sliders for studio production and live performance
High-resolution Visualizer offers six display modes ranging from a basic waveform display to a technicolor array of spectral bins
Old 19th September 2017
Lives for gear

Can't wait to play with this one!
Old 19th September 2017
Quote:
Originally Posted by profvonsok View Post
Great! Maybe you can explain to the rest of us what the **** it does since that description is nothing but line after line after line of pure horse**** marketing hyperbole. The only thing I'm sure of is that the possibilities are either "limited only by your imagination" or "truly limitless.
I wholeheartedly agree. I read through the release announcement and thought of that dialogue from Night at the Museum 3:
- "Sir Lancelot, at your service!"
- "Theodore Roosevelt, President of the United States of America!"
- "I have no idea what that means!"
Old 19th September 2017
Will definitely look into this. UA plugins are not the easiest to digest, but atleast they follow their own path rather than recreate what everyone else is doing.
Old 19th September 2017
Lives for gear

Well there's a video with audio samples and a free demo available so.... Yeah.
Keep on scratching your heads, guys
Old 19th September 2017
Quote:
Originally Posted by ~ufo~ View Post
Well there's a video with audio samples and a free demo available so.... Yeah.
Keep on scratching your heads, guys
I actually watched the video and listened to the samples and IMO they don't help THAT much . It's not very obvious what the plugin actually does, in some sound samples I had to check whether it was dry or wet even, so it goes from subtle to extreme. It's probably a plugin that isn't very easily explained in short and better just to dig into it.

I didn't so far watch the second video tho, I'm sure it goes a lot deeper.
Old 19th September 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Great! Maybe you can explain to the rest of us what the **** it does since that description is nothing but line after line after line of pure horse**** marketing hyperbole. The only thing I'm sure of is that the possibilities are either "limited only by your imagination" or "truly limitless.
There's a video demo on the PA website
Old 19th September 2017
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Read the last paragraph in the original post titled: FEATURES

I agree that the first part of the post is ridiculous but the last part makes it pretty clear what this plug does.
Old 19th September 2017
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crims View Post
Read the last paragraph in the original post titled: FEATURES

I agree that the first part of the post is ridiculous but the last part makes it pretty clear what this plug does.
Michael from Unfiltered here. There are a few additional videos with deeper walkthroughs. The plugin has a lot of depth, and it's difficult to show in 3-4 minutes.

Todd Urban has a very detailed tutorial here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ozi1Um0KzK0

Pro Tools Expert has a walkthrough and early review up: Unfiltered Audio Announce Spec Ops Spectral Processor - Includes Exclusive Review — Pro Tools Expert

Aside from that, there's a free 14-day demo available at Plugin Alliance. That's definitely the best way to figure out whether it works for you.

As a quick list, some of the simpler things it does: pitch shifting, freezing, frequency smearing, filtering, frequency shifting, glitching, companding, harmonic reinforcement, spectral contrast, and more. The real key feature is that each effect can be applied to only a region of the audio, so you can do things like freeze only the low frequencies on amplitude spikes, warp only the middle bins, selectively thin out the high bands, etc.
Old 19th September 2017
Lives for gear

you guys are never boring, Michael
Old 20th September 2017
I tried the demo and really liked the "adventurous" side of the plugin. There was some mention though of its use as a mixing tool-sometimes I have to mix stuff
where I cannot use fancy or "glitchy" tricks because the artist wants it to sound "organic". None of the presets seemed to cater for that. Am I missing something?
For example a spectral "flattener" should be possible but I couldn't easily find a way of setting one up.
Old 20th September 2017
Tried it this morning quickly. Quite interesting, but there is something in the AU and VST GUI that makes CPU peak all the time in Studio One 3.5 Mac. Difficult to use as it keeps cutting off and crackling. Lines mode seems to affect the CPU least and seems the most readable analyzer anyway. Plugin window closed it doesn't peak at all.

Made some interesting stuff for drum loops with the fx slots. Would actually love to have one more slot and a set of delays.

I have to read the manual to figure out what the Geometry and Spectral Compander sections affect and do.

Last edited by raymondwave; 20th September 2017 at 12:14 PM..
Old 20th September 2017
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by raymondwave View Post
Tried it this morning quickly. Quite interesting, but there is something in the AU and VST GUI that makes CPU peak all the time in Studio One 3.5 Mac. Difficult to use as it keeps cutting off and crackling. Lines mode seems to affect the CPU least and seems the most readable analyzer anyway. Plugin window closed it doesn't peak at all.

Made some interesting stuff for drum loops with the fx slots. Would actually love to have one more slot and a set of delays.

I have to read the manual to figure out what the Geometry and Spectral Compander sections affect and do.
Could you try turning off the "Enable OpenGL" option in the option menu (the gear icon next to the preset selector) and re-opening the GUI? Does that fix the spikes?
Old 20th September 2017
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncovered Pitch View Post
I tried the demo and really liked the "adventurous" side of the plugin. There was some mention though of its use as a mixing tool-sometimes I have to mix stuff
where I cannot use fancy or "glitchy" tricks because the artist wants it to sound "organic". None of the presets seemed to cater for that. Am I missing something?
For example a spectral "flattener" should be possible but I couldn't easily find a way of setting one up.
There's a folder of Mixing presets created by some of the Plugin Alliance team. There are a few subtle options in there.

I would recommend starting with the default preset and then checking out only the regional effects under the "Filters" and "Mixing" categories. In particular, "Region Cut," "Region Solo," and "Region Amplify," are useful for isolating frequency ranges and either accenting or diminishing their presence. Changing the Window Type and Size can have a dramatic effect.
Old 20th September 2017
Quote:
Originally Posted by unfilteredaudio View Post
Could you try turning off the "Enable OpenGL" option in the option menu (the gear icon next to the preset selector) and re-opening the GUI? Does that fix the spikes?
Seems to work much better this way, not completely spike free, but better. Glad to see there's also option to turn display off completely, I was wondering why there was no such option when I was trying different analyzer displays.
Old 20th September 2017
Quote:
Originally Posted by unfilteredaudio View Post
There's a folder of Mixing presets created by some of the Plugin Alliance team. There are a few subtle options in there.

I would recommend starting with the default preset and then checking out only the regional effects under the "Filters" and "Mixing" categories. In particular, "Region Cut," "Region Solo," and "Region Amplify," are useful for isolating frequency ranges and either accenting or diminishing their presence. Changing the Window Type and Size can have a dramatic effect.
Well I still couldn't find any subtle enhancers or spectral flatteners for the mix buss-nothing simply made the sound better-just weirder. Still, I had lots more fun with reversing, smearing and otherwise contorting the sound. And some of those Mixing presets were great on individual tracks. I think the moral is that I'm going to have to try and convince more artists that not every record has to sound like it was made by middle-aged producers in 1973!
Old 21st September 2017
Lives for gear

Here is a first video, processing some sampled guitar textures from one of my Falcon libraries with SpecOps creating a patch from scratch, later in the video selecting some other presets I made for SpecOps during the Beta-testing-phase.

Old 21st September 2017
Lives for gear

Processing one of my Groove Agent Kits with SpecOps using a custom preset, tweaking things on the fly.

Old 21st September 2017
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sampleconstruct View Post
Here is a first video, processing some sampled guitar textures from one of my Falcon libraries with SpecOps creating a patch from scratch, later in the video selecting some other presets I made for SpecOps during the Beta-testing-phase.

I was hoping you would arrive to show us some examples of SpecOps in use! I was tempted to use the Bat-Signal for @Sampleconstruct
Thanks.

Last edited by Squeegee 303; 21st September 2017 at 05:29 PM.. Reason: hyphenated Bat-Signal
Old 21st September 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Squeegee 303 View Post
I was hoping you would arrive to show us some examples of SpecOps in use! I was tempted to use the Bat Signal for @Sampleconstruct
Thanks.
That bat seems to follow me around the Internet now
Old 24th September 2017
mt3
Here for the gear

Quote:
SpecOps translates hyperbole into musically useful audio mangling transformations.
Old 27th September 2017
Gear Maniac

SpecOps in action on a finished mix adding life to the break:

Old 28th September 2017
Gear Nut

Just dropping a great video review from Michael White.

Old 4th October 2017
Here for the gear

how long is the intro offer $$$?
Old 4th October 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by jupiterman View Post
how long is the intro offer $$$?
Ends October 20th
Old 4th October 2017
Here for the gear

too late i already bought it
Old 4th October 2017
Gear Addict

Me too

Best special FX this year
Old 4th October 2017
Gear Addict

Comparables

Is this thing sui generis, or are there other processors it should be compared with?

For example, is it related to any of the GRM Tools?

Boutique Grm Tools

Thanks in advance.
Old 5th October 2017
Gear Maniac

I can't get the tooltips working in Reaper. I've tried disabling / enabling opengl.

Could it be my win7 theme being set to basic?
Old 5th October 2017
mt3
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by rrichard63 View Post
Is this thing sui generis, or are there other processors it should be compared with?

For example, is it related to any of the GRM Tools?

Boutique Grm Tools

Thanks in advance.
I spent quite a bit of time wondering that before it was released. It's definitely not a Swiss generic.

No matter if there was anything else similar in spectral philosophy, the CV/modulation section as well as other things put it on a world of its own.

Demo it, but focus on the modulation aspect only.
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search