The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
Ivory3 - Dreamware Mastering Suite by Acustica
Old 15th September 2017
Deleted bc6012f
Quote:
Originally Posted by brucerothwell View Post
No brick wall limiter?
Man just place compressor and EQ before your own limiter of choice and play with it. No yet another brickwall needed IMHO. Just try it, use with care and you will hear unreal result!!
Old 15th September 2017
Lives for gear

Thank you

Quote:
Originally Posted by zaphod View Post
The models inspired to mastering hardware are nowadays extremely close. Mac3 should represent our best matched compressor: in a workshop we showed you could not hear differences in direct A/B comparison and sound nulled almost competely at all random settings. Our eq are considered very good matched, so I would say iae2 and iae3 behave like an hardware device.
Mac2 is derived from mac3, so it is not inspired to an existing device. Our dynamic eq approach is pretty unique, so I would say you cannot fund anything similar in the hardware or software domain.

I'm very curious about your comments about Mac3: sometimes they said our eq were good but our compressors were not so much better then algo compressors, I think this product should change a lot of opinions
I truly appreciate you getting back to me and thoroughly
explaining your findings of the makeup and operation of both version of your software. I will most certainly give you my feed back once I do my test. Yes I have also read many statement in the past regarding your compressors which drew me mainly to my questions. Thank you Zaphod
Old 15th September 2017
Lives for gear

Thank you

Quote:
Originally Posted by xmein View Post
Man i think they overreacted but they provided you with the right advice. I will repeat in other way: there is no right of wrong. You use tools which align with your own music and your own taste and hearing sensibilities - which gives you great option: Try product for yourself under your own workflow and your music. Then decide is it worth it or not. Proceed according to that.

Maybe this will help (kinda short review - hyped one because i can not believe what i am hearing):

I was never fan of multi dynamic compressors let alone EQ (sorry just personal thing nothing more) so i did not even tried multiband stuff. And i will not. But..

Forgiveness and transparency of Ivory Compressor (not the multiband one) on Master Bus is nothing short of amazing and it works amazingly well with electronic music (808,909,lalala) and filter detector makes it actually so unreal.

Honestly i was never expecting that i could get more musical energy and loudness from my mixes without sacrificing dynamics until now. Wow what the hell?!? This thing is icing the cake?!!

Ivory EQ - talk about controlled i mean REALLY controlled boosts or cuts on your Master Bus! Warm and goey sound this EQ delivers it. Boosting high frequencies does not provide you with ear rape it just like open music and it goes out from your speakers. Like there is another sound stage which was hidden until now.

I could not care less for multiband stuff in this package - just compressor and mastering EQ are worth the price alone.

There you have it.

But please try it on your own and then decide. Maybe you will like it. Maybe Equilibrium or FabFilter will suit you better. You simply have to try it and decide.
I can appreciate what your saying buddy. I flew off of the handle myself because from every statement none of those guys stated that they even tried it for themselves. Well I guess the gearslutz that I once New is from a different time and is now in a different place for some. Well either way my original question was after being smashed to pieces was answered. Over the weekend I will give it a go. I love what I and getting out of the software prior to this from Acustica Audio. As far as mixing but in regards to what Zaphod explained I am very excited to try the Eq and multiband compressor in my chain. The other software I purchased so far does not have a home in my Mastering chain only my mixing. Again thank you for your time in explaining your thoughts with some examples to back your reason. Cheers
Old 15th September 2017
OMU
Lives for gear

For some reason I keep liking the Ivory plugins more with the 'pre' off. Happened on the previous Ivories too. I think that if it's meant to be clean, the cleanest version wins (to these ears, at least).
Old 15th September 2017
Here for the gear

Hi, I have installed, but the the preset list doesn’t appear :(
In the Manual:
"If the preset list doesn’t appear (as default) in your plugin, it is necessary to download the addictional package (“IVORY3...”PRESETS.N2S) from the “Installers Folder” in our website. After the download, please put this .N2S in the same folder containing the default .N2S"
But in my Acustica Audio Account Dashboard i don't see any file.
Old 15th September 2017
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by klab606 View Post
Hi, I have installed, but the the preset list doesn’t appear :(
In the Manual:
"If the preset list doesn’t appear (as default) in your plugin, it is necessary to download the addictional package (“IVORY3...”PRESETS.N2S) from the “Installers Folder” in our website. After the download, please put this .N2S in the same folder containing the default .N2S"
But in my Acustica Audio Account Dashboard i don't see any file.
Hi,
Ivory3 PRESETS (.N2S) included in "PRESETS" FOLDER into the Installers folder,
please check it now, for any question or clarification please send an email to [email protected] - best
Old 15th September 2017
Quote:
Originally Posted by brucerothwell View Post
No brick wall limiter?
Sadly not :(
Old 15th September 2017
Lives for gear

What is the best way to use the Clipper? We should reach for the Clipper LED to light, but not the Overflow LED?
Old 15th September 2017
Gear Addict

Congrats to G and the AA team. The whole package is stunning!!
Old 15th September 2017
Deleted bc6012f
Quote:
Originally Posted by OMU View Post
For some reason I keep liking the Ivory plugins more with the 'pre' off. Happened on the previous Ivories too. I think that if it's meant to be clean, the cleanest version wins (to these ears, at least).
+1 i don't use PRE's on this release.
Old 15th September 2017
Deleted bc6012f
Quote:
Originally Posted by SameOh View Post
What is the best way to use the Clipper? We should reach for the Clipper LED to light, but not the Overflow LED?
No you don't reach for it deliberately or try to not light it at all. Sometimes you will but if you care about gain in your tracks you should not light or use it. At 44khz it can introduce aliasing. But then again you might find effect interesting so experiment.

But you should look at it as some sort of helper for digital overloads.
Old 15th September 2017
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by AcusticaSupport View Post
Hi,
Ivory3 PRESETS (.N2S) included in "PRESETS" FOLDER into the Installers folder,
please check it now, for any question or clarification please send an email to [email protected] - best
Thanks for your help, i'have checked but there is' nt a Presets folder
Old 15th September 2017
OMU
Lives for gear

There is a presets subfolder in the Ivory download folder.
Old 15th September 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by xmein View Post
No you don't reach for it deliberately or try to not light it at all. Sometimes you will but if you care about gain in your tracks you should not light or use it. At 44khz it can introduce aliasing. But then again you might find effect interesting so experiment.

But you should look at it as some sort of helper for digital overloads.
But you know the difference between the Clipper LED and the Overflow LED?

I thought that the Clipper was indicating the hardware saturation, and the Overflow an out of limit level, not sampled.
Old 15th September 2017
Lives for gear

OK, my first impressions:

- 32-bit is still the default format option during install. Grrrrrr

- This was the first time since 2014 that I've been confused with the installation process. The readme.txt should clue us in as to what the zip package is/why we should install it. Eventually I figured it out but yeah..I can only imagine newbies sitting there with a "derp" look on their faces.

- Frequencies numbers are too tiny. I'll get used to it but I'd take a smaller knob with larger numbers any day of the week.

- Not a fan of the VU meters on the equalizer. I was so excited to see the LEDs but alas they are only on the compressors.

- Meter In should be the default not Meter out.

- Wow...this plugin collection has a lot of features!

- I can finally replace IK's Master 432 plugin. That's the best way I can describe this...a better 432 plugin equalizer. Not by a huge amount but enough to justify the purchase.

- Left VU meter looks like it has one thick needle as opposed to a needle with a shadow. Make the needles red so the shadows stick out more?

- Even with a 44.1 kHz project I can push the high shelf almost to the max without the mix sounding harsh. Great job, Acustica!

- Which one is better...pre in or out? I'm not sure! They both sound similar but Pre In sounds a bit better. Placebo effect?

- I haven't touched the compressors yet. It will take me a bit to wrap my head around it.

- It really is amazing how much this equalizer can transform a muddy, dull sounding mix.

- This plugin may replace Pro-Q 2 for cutting needs. I've been wanting to try ALL NEBULA mixes and it may finally be possible with the exception of a few compressor plugins and a delay.
Old 15th September 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
There is a presets subfolder in the Ivory download folder.
maybe not in the trial download folder? havn´t seen this preset list either...
Old 15th September 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
I agree.. but this time around when you set the input trim to minimum and run not too hot signals through it, the color is actually quite nice. But yeah, I do tend to turn the preamp off, just like the previous ones.
Old 15th September 2017
Lives for gear
Boy am I glad I held onto Ivory 2 and held off purchasing Scarlet. The eq is brilliant! Using Ivory 3 first in a mastering setup combined with something a bit more aggressive/vibey in the mids, lows, highs and preferably tube like Purple or Alex B MMeq would be tops imo! No nonesense eq when it comes to hunting down issues or highlighting something interesting. I literally was hearing things I didnt notice was a part of the original production on material I thought I was very familiar with. For example, wind chimes ever so softly whisping away behind heavy 808s in a full on pop instrumental. lol A little more of that please +1 boost. Anyone else experienced this while sweeping the spectrum with the tightest Q?

Overall it is clean but not sterile. Comparing with Scarlet which I previously was of the opinion was holy grail, almost seems too smooth now. I also really love what the pre can do as the first line of offense against digital harsh mixes. Smooths the signal nicely and it becomes a bit more pleasing to listen to.

I'll play with the compressor next week as I have all the time in the world to explore since Ivory 3 is MINES!!!!! Dont hate, free update baby

Thanks for the update in all seriousness it is truly a blessing.
Old 15th September 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deleted bc6012f View Post
Man just place compressor and EQ before your own limiter of choice and play with it. No yet another brickwall needed IMHO. Just try it, use with care and you will hear unreal result!!
Thanks for the reply.

I only mentioned the aspect of a brick wall limiter because that is a key part of the mastering process.... and this suite is billed as a what... "Mastering Suite"?
Old 15th September 2017
Lives for gear

You have a clipper and a compressor with look ahead and high ratio.
Not all mastering engineers are using limiters nowadays, clipping is a common alternative .
Old 15th September 2017
Lives for gear

You have a clipper and a compressor with look ahead and high ratio.
Not all mastering engineers are using limiters nowadays, clipping is a common alternative .
Old 15th September 2017
Lives for gear

UK folks..................Please PM me for Ivory3 discount coupons.
Old 16th September 2017
Gear Maniac

Question: should we be hitting these plugs at -18dbfs as a general rule?
Old 16th September 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by mchillak View Post
Question: should we be hitting these plugs at -18dbfs as a general rule?
-18 dB RMS, actually. That said, I keep my peaks to the green bar right before the yellow (on the compressor plugins' LED meter). You can go a little in the yellow but avoid red at all costs. Staying only in the green helps avoid the red.

I'll usually run an instance of Acustica Audio PINK with its LED metering (then delete it after setting levels) after Acustica Audio plugins that have no meters or VU meters. It's annoying that Ivory's equalizer meter is VU when its compressors are LED.
Old 16th September 2017
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by doom64 View Post
-18 dB RMS, actually. That said, I keep my peaks to the green bar right before the yellow. You can go a little in the yellow but avoid red at all costs. Staying only in the green helps avoid the red.

I'll usually run an instance of Acustica Audio PINK with its LED metering (then delete it after setting levels) after Acustica Audio plugins that have no meters or VU meters. It's annoying that Ivory's equalizer meter is VU when its compressors are LED.
Thank you! Yeah that's similar to what I do with Nebula. I get confused by other AA plugs. They don't always seem to have consistent metering.
Old 16th September 2017
Gear Addict

Anyone the getting no gain reduction with the single band compressor...SC in no matter what threshold setting is applied?
Old 16th September 2017
Gear Maniac

Can some one answer this? I'm just getting into the Acustica stuff.

This is from the manual:
"Two sample rates are provided with Ivory3; the native sample frequen- cy was 96kHz. The 44.1kHz frequency was derived from the native one by a downsampling and upsampling process."

1) I typically work in 48Hz in Protools. Is that not recommended for these plugs?

2) Does the program automatically choose 96Hz/44.1/? What about 48Hz?
Old 16th September 2017
Lives for gear

48 kHz is generated on the fly, and it is slower and slightly less accurate
We'll upload an optimized pack within a month or so
Old 16th September 2017
Gear Maniac

Thanks for the reply. LOVE these plugins!

When you say, "upload an optimized pack", am I correct in thinking that in my user dashboard area I will see a new file like with Amethyst 3 that says:

Upgrade AMETHYST OSX 48 88.2 AAX rel E.zip ?

And then Protools just loads the correct one?
Old 16th September 2017
Lives for gear

Yes exactly!
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search